[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Only Side By Side With You 南方有乔木

sugarplum892

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it's a wrap folks! All 40 long ep. flashbacks included:rolleyes::tongue: Can't say I was pleased with the ending as they kind of leaked it in the ending credits LoL:tongue: The drama could've easily finished in under 20 ep. but hey I got to see William Chan's smile which more than compensates I guess:D Uh---don't think I EVER seen SO much teeth brushing between a couple in a single drama!:w00t: Will be looking forward to William's future projects, it was fun reading & sharing thoughts/posts etc with y'all in this thread. Take care. Ciao!

On 4/17/2018 at 9:16 PM, Prettysup said:

Leading the single-day online viewership for 22 days consecutively, total views exceeded 5 billion.

Thank you for the update.  Very happy for William and the rest of the cast.  Their hard work has paid off with spectacular results.  Btw, have you heard any upcoming filming projects from Will this year? If not any, then after the Age of Legends we have nothing left from him to watch:(

11 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

And it's a wrap folks! All 40 long ep. flashbacks included:rolleyes::tongue: Can't say I was pleased with the ending as they kind of leaked it in the ending credits LoL:tongue: The drama could've easily finished in under 20 ep. but hey I got to see William Chan's smile which more than compensates I guess:D Uh---don't think I EVER seen SO much teeth brushing between a couple in a single drama!:w00t: Will be looking forward to William's future projects, it was fun reading & sharing thoughts/posts etc with y'all in this thread. Take care. Ciao!

Oh, I can't complain as long as I got to see SY (aka William Chan)'s smile, dimple, in suits or even shirtless... I am happy:D.  Also, looking forward to his next drama which is Age of Legends but don't expect to see him in many nice sexy suits like this one as he plays a blue collar worker or so...still cool and masculine though.

5 hours ago, olivegarden said:

Thank you for the update.  Very happy for William and the rest of the cast.  Their hard work has paid off with spectacular results.  Btw, have you heard any upcoming filming projects from Will this year? If not any, then after the Age of Legends we have nothing left from him to watch:(

Coming up on 28 April will be his movie Genghis Khan, though I really have no idea where or how international fans like us can get to watch it. There is also another upcoming movie 'The Bombing' but that has not been scheduled yet despite being wrapped up a few years ago.

For dramas, the one only he has left is 'Age of Legends' which is supposed to be aired within this year. Currently he is busy recording 'Hot Blood Dance Crew' (a variety program) so any other new projects will have to begin after that ends. Actually there had been various rumours of his new drama projects eg. Mystic Nine 2 and another one supposedly to start filming in end April, but nothing officially announced yet at this moment. 

4 hours ago, olivegarden said:

Oh, I can't complain as long as I got to see SY (aka William Chan)'s smile, dimple, in suits or even shirtless... I am happy:D.  Also, looking forward to his next drama which is Age of Legends but don't expect to see him in many nice sexy suits like this one as he plays a blue collar worker or so...still cool and masculine though.

Haha I actually prefer his look in Age of Legends than Shi Yue.

On 4/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

It was a good ride. I think abt 30 eps would have make it better. Too many flashbacks which made it not as good but overall ok. At least William has improve on his acting skills.

See everyone in the next William drama forum. Lol...

@vlvl1 , @olivegarden

Oh yes! There should be a requirement in William's contract to appear shirtless in all his dramas eheheheh. I still think a more competent actress in place of Bai He would've made drama better<_< Nan Qiao is by far the best female character in C-drama. The drones & all the other mob stuff bore me tbh:tongue: They tried too hard to make this seem like K2. But they fail miserably. Oh well (sigh) moving along to other c-dramas then:wink:

19 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Coming up on 28 April will be his movie Genghis Khan, though I really have no idea where or how international fans like us can get to watch it. There is also another upcoming movie 'The Bombing' but that has not been scheduled yet despite being wrapped up a few years ago.

For dramas, the one only he has left is 'Age of Legends' which is supposed to be aired within this year. Currently he is busy recording 'Hot Blood Dance Crew' (a variety program) so any other new projects will have to begin after that ends. Actually there had been various rumours of his new drama projects eg. Mystic Nine 2 and another one supposedly to start filming in end April, but nothing officially announced yet at this moment. 

Haha I actually prefer his look in Age of Legends than Shi Yue.

Thanks for the info.  You are so full of Will's information,eh:wink:

I just watched the Genghis Khan trailer, it is intrigued indeed.  Really want to see this movie badly but I guess I have to wait for the blue-ray or hopefully Netflix will pick it up.

I'm also watching his HBDC show every weekend.  Not really understand their dialogues but still find it's quite interesting though.  I just don't like his hair styles in this show as the hair stylist has made him look like a thug most of the time (oh, a handsome thug:D).

After reading your post, I searched him up on Baidu and found a few articles that talked about his new drama with Dilraba, which is called "Pearl Jade Code" (ie: I used google translation). Is it the latter one from your post above? I like them both, really hope they can collaborate again.  We'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, olivegarden said:

After reading your post, I searched him up on Baidu and found a few articles that talked about his new drama with Dilraba, which is called "Pearl Jade Code" (ie: I used google translation). Is it the latter one from your post above? I like them both, really hope they can collaborate again.  We'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

Hmmm I have no idea what this 'Pearl Jade Code' is about. Do u have a link to the news ?

Just finished the drama. Overall, it was an OK drama. On the plus side: I liked that we had a happy ending for NQ and SY, and NQ achieved her dream. Also liked that each of our side couples had a happy ending as well, although I would have liked to have seen a bit more attention paid to the CJX and Wendy relationship. I thought the characters were interesting and the acting was pretty good.  Really liked the character of NQ-breath of fresh air. Plot was interesting.

On the minus side: Drama was too long and bloated with episode filler. Endless repetitive flashbacks and many minutes devoted to episode recaps hurt the drama and obscured the positives. Romance was underwhelming between the leads, and for side couples as well. Ending a bit rushed, which frankly made no sense since drama had large number of episodes to be able to end things properly. Writers failed on this-they could have cut out the filler/flashbacks to focus on writing proper ending. 

Question: In last episode, NQ Dad is suddenly supportive of SY and also of NQ/SY relationship. Did I miss something because all I remember is he wasn't happy about things? What made him change his mind? Also, what happened to NQ sister's relationship with her husband? Was that ever resolved? 

Anyway, I enjoyed everyones' thoughts and insights on the drama.

10 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Just finished the drama. Overall, it was an OK drama. On the plus side: I liked that we had a happy ending for NQ and SY, and NQ achieved her dream. Also liked that each of our side couples had a happy ending as well, although I would have liked to have seen a bit more attention paid to the CJX and Wendy relationship. I thought the characters were interesting and the acting was pretty good.  Really liked the character of NQ-breath of fresh air. Plot was interesting.

On the minus side: Drama was too long and bloated with episode filler. Endless repetitive flashbacks and many minutes devoted to episode recaps hurt the drama and obscured the positives. Romance was underwhelming between the leads, and for side couples as well. Ending a bit rushed, which frankly made no sense since drama had large number of episodes to be able to end things properly. Writers failed on this-they could have cut out the filler/flashbacks to focus on writing proper ending. 

Question: In last episode, NQ Dad is suddenly supportive of SY and also of NQ/SY relationship. Did I miss something because all I remember is he wasn't happy about things? What made him change his mind? Also, what happened to NQ sister's relationship with her husband? Was that ever resolved? 

Hi. I agree with everything you wrote. And I found NQ character breath of fresh air, too. I laughed out loud at one point when NQ suggested to SY that she'd be the bread winner and he could stay home and be the "beautiful flower." :D Would like to see more work from Bai He if she's playing women like this.

I could have done without the sappy gangster chick and that whole plot line. I hated that even more than those endless flashbacks. More drone stuff, and more romance with the three couples would have been better IMO. I loved the sweet drone romance between the leads.  I liked all three couples. NQ's nephew was fun, too.

I don't know what happened with NQ's dad either and why he came around. It seemed at the end to me as though he was telling NQ's sister that it was ok to divorce?

11 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Haha I also couldn't figure out the daddy part. Somehow SY was standing outside his house with that military stance and then the daddy suddenly relented?

About the sister with her husband, yah I think it was as what @ihyw mentioned, he was telling her to make her own decision about her marriage, and if she chose to divorce, he won't stop her.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:49 PM, ihyw said:

Hi. I agree with everything you wrote. And I found NQ character breath of fresh air, too. I laughed out loud at one point when NQ suggested to SY that she'd be the bread winner and he could stay home and be the "beautiful flower." :D 

Exactly! Love your example here of the fun dialog that was in the drama and the refreshing character of NQ. I don't understand the critics of the character that called NQ "bland and boring". 

On 4/19/2018 at 9:49 PM, ihyw said:

I could have done without the sappy gangster chick and that whole plot line. I hated that even more than those endless flashbacks. More drone stuff, and more romance with the three couples would have been better IMO. I loved the sweet drone romance between the leads.  I liked all three couples. NQ's nephew was fun, too.

I'll agree with you that the An Ning plotline wasn't as strong and well done as other parts of the drama, but I thought her character was important to the overall storyline and to SY character growth. Totally agree with you that they could have increased the romance with all three couples. For a drama that was publicized as a love story, not much love going on, frankly. Very disappointing. It would have been great to see all three lovelines properly developed. I also would have liked to see a little more development of the SY & CJX relationship.  Even though we only had a few scenes to illustrate their friendship ( which were played over & over again) I enjoyed the relationship between SY & CJX . I'm not usually too into "bromance" plotlines, but I really felt for both SY & CJX in this drama. You could feel how their friendship ( and the loss of it) really affected both characters and how they both missed each other, which explained that lightning fast reconcilliation between the two. It would have been so great if  the drama had given us more and different scenes to provide some depth and further explore the relationship between those 2 characters. William Chan & Li Xian were able to do a lot with just a handful of scenes, so imagine what could have been done if there had been more scenes and development since that relationship was such an essential part of the drama. 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:08 PM, Prettysup said:

Haha I also couldn't figure out the daddy part. Somehow SY was standing outside his house with that military stance and then the daddy suddenly relented?

About the sister with her husband, yah I think it was as what @ihyw mentioned, he was telling her to make her own decision about her marriage, and if she chose to divorce, he won't stop her.

I couldn't understand either why SY left to go stand at attention outside, and then the Dad told NQ to have him come inside and give him some of the dad's clothes to wear. The whole scene was strange. Thanks for explaining what happened with the sister. 

On 4/17/2018 at 9:33 PM, angelangie said:

now i can consider start marathoning :D 

I actually stopped at ep 15 and just picked it up again. loving it. :) I can see why it was so popular. The drama definitely could have shortened and stopped at ep 20ish because there were so many unnecessary fillers and flashbacks.

Archived