[Drama 2017] Duel 듀얼

larus

Psst...VIU apparently also has this show, for those of you who can access it that way.  So ep1 subs are already out from that source, at least.  I'll be patient and wait for dramafever, though, I think :)

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I actually read a few knetz thoughts about the drama. Either it's slow or it's just good or they hate prosecutor ( have no idea, cos I watch ep 1 raw so not sure who is what and how and why),  that Yang Se Jong acting was good, that drama is more dependent on Jung Jae Young.

So why slow and depended on JJY... because it's only ep 1. YSG only appeared for like 10-15 minutes throughout the 1:11 38 secs of drama. including the last scene. It's mostly a set up why  off and on duty of JDC as police detective. Nothing even anything about how clone happened or what's the reason. Why SH tried to take over ambulance or take the sick daughter  away. That's just my take. I watched it raw so again.. I don't understand dialogues.

I pretty much just like to read knetz/ viewers thoughts but I've never been influenced on how they see the drama because, hey, we see the exact same thing same, but totally different take on it. Waiting Eng sub and gonna watch raw ep 2 later.

Edit: I wanted to add, editing is a bit weird, why  towards end of ep 1 SH dressed in black suit, suddenly appear( it's scene in his house) and seems to have injected something on his hands. I'm not sure. It's like out of nowhere scene and not in sync.  I'm not sure why but I think I do. That scene was still a flashback because when JDC took off the mask of the guy (SJ or SH) who pretended to be the ambulance driver, the face looked exactly the same as  SJ the passenger and after the scene, we go back to the present. So that's the reason JDC was outrage when he saw SJ. , first 22 mins of ep1  all scenes were flashback leading up to the present which was  last scenes.

I gotta see the sub.

SooYeon the sick child that was kidnapped

There're so much complain about Kim Jung Eun's acting. They even want to cut the number Kim Jung Eun's scenes down
I agree with they too. I don't know why Kim Jung Eun so bad in this drama. Her smile distract me alot. The important thing, she so bad but she don't know she so bad. 

About to watch ep 2 raw. I wanna see Yang Se Jong dual character.... Sung Joon and Sung Joon. Why and how the human clone started. Also see the acting. Read praises for YSJ acting. He was trending on naver earlier.  Only had total maybe 20 mins during ep 1. Should be darkly exciting thrill for ep 2.

------------------

The scene I'm talking about. I got confused. Bear min mind watched  raw episode 1.

Oh yeah... NGM has a rival already and it's rookie YSG. :tongue:

All RT cr as tagged

I need the second episode of this drama to be subbed so I can sit down and watch both episodes back to back. I swear this is the summer of drama giving for me. It's like the drama gods looked into my head and decided to bring about the kinds of dramas I enjoy watching (crime, mystery, police procedural, murder, twisted psychopaths and no clear black and white, good or bad). Duel got my attention with the clones and the good vs evil and only one can live, serial killer aspect. Yang Se Jong was killing it both roles from what I saw of his audition and previews. He really does seem like two different people. I swear  between this, Circle, Look out, soon to come Secret Forest, and k Criminal Minds...I'm in drama heaven. I hope the ratings soon go up. 

Oh no. I was hoping the ratings would increase not decrease :( I want this to be a success for Yang Se Jong, he seriously blew me away the switch he would do from himself to the darker clone. Still haven't watched the first two episodes so I can't judge if the the decrease was warranted or not. I will say that about the complaints of Kim Jung Eun's acting (I hate having to say this), I found her face to be soooo distracting. It's so plastic surgeon-ed and botox-ed that it just....it sits there...it just...it sits there. The emotions and stuff doesn't come off and she has the perpetual slight smile/smirk that just rests there no matter what she is saying or doing. Her face is so distracting that during the previews and BTS stuff I"ve watched, it feels jarring and takes me out of the moment. I don't like to judge looks or plastic surgery or not (do you so long as you safe happy and not bothering others) but holy meatballs her face is just....not a good luck imho. Sadly it may be what is taking from her acting and getting so many complaints (then again it may not be). 

SPOILER DUEL - EP.2
Spoiler

0002769390_001_20170604232137353.jpg

duel.png
Naver - News1: 'Duel' Jung Jae Young, Held hands with the clone...Escaping to the river

1. [+664, -17] Jung Eun-ah!! I can't handle this...she should give up acting~

2. [+503, -11] Is Kim Jung Eun a robot??

3. [+562, -32] Jung Jae Young acts like he really lost his daughter ㅠㅠㅠ He is amazing...Yang Se Jong is also good at acting...For now the story is a little mess but it will get more interesting in the future. I enjoyed watching it^^

4. [+389, -14] Replace Kim Jung Eun

5. [+234, -10] I'm watching Duel because I'm a fan of OCN dramas, to be honest, I admire the acting of the male actors but Kim Jung Eun is killing the flow...I should blame the actor if the flow is broken while I'm concentrating

6. [+216, -6] I understand his attchment to his daughter but I wish he calms down and solve this more intelligently...Kim Jung Eun's acting is worst than Lovers in Paris

7. [+185, -3] Kim Jung Eun acts only with her mouth

8. [+171, -2] Do something about Kim Jung Eun

Spoiler

0002769386_001_20170604221337918.jpg

duel.png
Naver - News1: 'Duel' Yang Se Jong "I don't remember anything" after an accident

1. [+264, -16] Yang Se Jong is good at acting

2. [+249, -27] Please do something about Kim Jung Eun ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Why does she act like that? She used to be good in the old days but now she acts like a robot...

3. [+158, -12] Jung Jae Young still like before!!! As expected...god of acting ㅎㅎ

4. [+153, -14] Kim Jung Eun vs Jang Su Won, who is the winner?

5. [+151, -14] What's wrong with Kim Jung Eun's acting?...At least you should have some emotions..

6. [+63, -2] Please replace Kim Jung Eun~ I feel really sorry~ She didn't analyze her character~ Kim Jung Eun's eyes are like robot, they are so weird and so is her acting~ She can't even do this much~

7. [+62, -2] Kim Jung Eun is so bad at acting. Her face is so awkward~~~ㅠㅠ

8. [+86, -11] Jung Jae Young's acting was the best today

9. [+80, -10] Kim Jung Eun's tone while saying her lines is really weird ㅋㅋ

10. [+71, -8] Ah~~~  Jung Eun when she says her lines~~~ I want to change the channel~~ She can't act at all~~ ㅠ.ㅠ

cr

Guess im gonna focus on YSJ & JJY.. bout the female lead, i'll just ignore :sweat_smile:

OK, I read some comments before watching the first two episodes. When I was watching I intentionally concentrated on Kim Jung Eun`s face to see what the other are seeing but for me was not that bad.  Her role is the villain so the Prosecutor Choi is a little difficult to read (what her intersions are), she looks emotionaless but It is intentional. All these talk about her apperence doen`t have relevance to the show. I know that Naver comments were selected and I want to believe that most of them were talking about their impression of the show rather than the actress look.

She is over 40s and maybe she used Botox so she can`t use facial muscles like all of us.  I was sorry for her when I read that she is subjected to such commentary. She appeared just 5 minutes in the first episode and no more than 10 in the second.  She has already small screen time but they want to reduce it because of the reaction of the audience?

It is so hard to be a woman in this industry. Not to say that 90 % of the important roles are for the actors (at least in movies) but they have the luxury to be praised not on their look but talent, even when they grew old. But women…. There is a constant buzz over their look. Not being young enough or pretty enough for their partners on screen. I start to watch Man to Man late so I knew about the bash of the protagonist (not pretty or young enough) but the actress did  a good job with her role. She is pretty and  fits the role. Now the reverse… when an actress has done something to her face….complain again....  Maybe if people will complain less about woman appearances then, the actresses who are getting old don`t feel the pressure to do this on their face.  It seems that there is a new wave on Hollywood. Actresses who regret doing Botox and plastic surgery are speaking out in favor of a natural look. It is good to know that they want to share from their experience and are confident enough to not be subjugated with the youthful appearance but I wish the audience will give women some slack when it is about their look.

That was something I had in mind. I agree with @jongski . I read some comments but I am not influenced on their perception. I know that I watch mostly shows that are not that popular, I don`t share the buzz on popular dramas... It is all about our perception, our taste.

About Duel. It was intense. Pretty much a Jung Jae Young`s show. We could see the connection between father and daughter (the daughter being sick made this relationship more emotional) and now that she is missing, we could understand and relate with his desperation. They set up the mystery. The protagonist is the only one who believes it is something strange going on. Nobody believes him, the powers up don`t investigate properly the case. It was a twist when I see that he provoked the accident to free Lee Sung-Joon and let the others to take Man Choon. But I should not be too surprised. There is a scene where he finally took the money from the bribery. I think he decided to do anything to find his daughter. Now both Deuk-Cheon and Sung Joon will be on the run.

I wonder why they took Soo Yeon. Maybe the head of this conspirasy is making illegal experiments to find a cure to a disease. They created the clone program for this. Now they want to try the cure on sick people before they will try on themselves? I wonder who is the big baddie.

Turning back to Prosecutor Choi.

tumblr_oqnwkzaJDk1sdd1ivo5_r1_540.png

he and everybody else. But who is the biggest baddie?

knetziens are too much. Like I said for me her face can be jarring. I feel guilty for judging but it is what it is. However, her face is just a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I think for the role she has taken (one of the ambiguous baddies) she is doing a good enough job and really we can't judge because the woman did not/does not have that many scenes. She was in a scene for like 30 seconds tops. It's too much to want her replaced or her scene time (which is small as is) further reduced. I feel it's waaaaaay too much entitlement to want/demand a change simply because you don't like something. If it's so bad just stop freaking watching then. I feel bad for the actress now and hope she is not taking any of this to heart. 

7 hours ago, larus said:

OK, I read some comments before watching the first two episodes. When I was watching I intentionally concentrated on Kim Jung Eun`s face to see what the other are seeing but for me was not that bad.  Her role is the villain so the Prosecutor Choi is a little difficult to read (what her intersions are), she looks emotionaless but It is intentional. All these talk about her apperence doen`t have relevance to the show. I know that Naver comments were selected and I want to believe that most of them were talking about their impression of the show rather than the actress look.

She is over 40s and maybe she used Botox so she can`t use facial muscles like all of us.  I was sorry for her when I read that she is subjected to such commentary. She appeared just 5 minutes in the first episode and no more than 10 in the second.  She has already small screen time but they want to reduce it because of the reaction of the audience?

It is so hard to be a woman in this industry. Not to say that 90 % of the important roles are for the actors (at least in movies) but they have the luxury to be praised not on their look but talent, even when they grew old. But women…. There is a constant buzz over their look. Not being young enough or pretty enough for their partners on screen

@larus

I totally agree  Thanks for posting your thoughts. I refrained myself from commenting about KJE,..1) I don't know the actress. 2) this is first time I'm watching her in a drama.3 I don't like negativity. But it seems like  it's such a harassment for the viewers to see her facial expression. I don't get it. I watch the whole drama and I'm... what  the deal about that?! I even read post from knetz saying she's "trying hard" to copy the actress from signal. I felt bad for her esp with all those unwarranted comments. The ones doing so probably viewers who's used to looking at idols/ younger actresses/hallyus. Like you mentioned she's over 40.

I watched the episode and I did not once thought of her facial expression because it didn't bother me, it's only when I saw the knetz comments that I thought what's the deal? Perhaps the character calls it or I dunno but... yeah it's likely a reflection and impression of how they felt about the drama's premiere.

7 hours ago, larus said:

About Duel. It was intense. Pretty much a Jung Jae Young`s show. We could see the connection between father and daughter (the daughter being sick made this relationship more emotional) and now that she is missing, we could understand and relate with his desperation. They set up the mystery. The protagonist is the only one who believes it is something strange going on. Nobody believes him, the powers up don`t investigate properly the case. It was a twist when I see that he provoked the accident to free Lee Sung-Joon and let the others to take Man Choon. But I should not be too surprised. There is a scene where he finally took the money from the bribery. I think he decided to do anything to find his daughter. Now both Deuk-Cheon and Sung Joon will be on the run.

I wonder why they took Soo Yeon. Maybe the head of this conspirasy is making illegal experiments to find a cure to a disease. They created the clone program for this. Now they want to try the cure on sick people before they will try on themselves? I wonder who is the big baddie.

The one I high light. That could  well be the case. Or  it might involve money, patent, cure, drugs but there could be a connection with the daughter and the cloning. I'm about to watch English subs 1-2 and I'll share my thoughts again.

Meanwhile....

And I've already mentioned previous page. I don't care about ratings. I care about how the story is and the writing and acting. And same as larus, majority of kdramas I tend to watch doesn't have big name stars and not popular dramas too.

However, i'M   glad to see YSJ getting praises.

http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/1225670

( below is part of the google translate for the article)

"Especially with short presence and raised the mystery about Sung-hoon. If Lee expressed sadness and fear of Lee Seongjun, who had been a kidnapper while losing his memory, Lee Sung-hoon was curious about the eerie atmosphere. Lee Seong-jun, who was doing brainwave tests, watched his photographs and recalled Lee Sung-hoon's memories and was captivated by fear."

Lastly thumbs up to Jung Jae Young in this drama! I like his emotions and the way he showed what it feels like to have daughter taken away.

At the moment, watching the episodes with sub. And since I find myself discussing the drama by myself ( for the most part) I think I found the answer to my question. I asked what  was that thing that SH injected to his hand ( latter part of ep 1). I think I know the clue.. or the answer. Stem Cell injection. 10 days before the kidnapping... we see the flash back JDC told daughter Soo Yeon, if she gets that injection, she will able able to grow her hair back.  I feel this is what SH injected to his hands.  and also that of SH. I'll finish the sub and share more thoughts.

So watching eps 1-2 I still have vague idea as to what exactly prosecutor choi is doing and why. I do have theories but it's still early. Some of the high lights for ep 1...

Daughter SY was kidnapped. There is purpose to that and I feel it has something to do with stem cell injection. DY need a stem cell injection for her sickness. I'm not sure what's the sickness if it's leukemia.  Doctor  informed DC that SY has been chosen as the recipient of stem cell. The drug is made produced by Sanyoung pharmaceutical.  SY was supposed to receive the treatment but the ambulance was hijacked by SH. Which  prior to that we saw SH injected his with something. I don't know what's inside the syringe.. Then he was shaking his hand. It could be stem cell.  ep 2 shed vague light on this.

As Prosecutor Choi.. I still can't read the motives. I guess that's why viewers are cross with her character (which is being translated to some unsavory remarks from knetz).  It seems she does something illegal in a away to suspects then she gets a cut.. like money ( there's a scene where she and dc where talking abluit getting percent or doing something) and DC knows this. He needs money so he puts up with it. I could be wrong.

Moving to ep 2...

SJ was arrested.  DC enraged wants to kill him. Shoot him but he can't he needs to find out where is his daughter. He still believes  SJ knows what happened to Soo Yeon  but SJ from the start has denied any knowledge. DC gradually changing his mindset about SJ because he himself saw the supposed "twin"  SH.

During the flashback of SJ we saw he was in the hospital and was injected with the syringe. Again not sure whats the drug but it could be the stem cell.  Same thing that SH injected in ep 1.

The revelation in ep 2 was daughter  is alive! SY is with SH. I believe they are doing experiments and testing with the drugs/ stem cells. SY was strapped  and has Ivy drops and  I don't know what SH been doing but he's got the exasperated look about him. I think he's a tool... just like SJ is a tool just like SY is a tool for really big drug experiment. A research? a rival for Sanyoung Pharmaceuticals? It's all very vague at the moment.  Gotta wait for ep 3.

What I noticed though, during the brain waves thing/ interrogation of SJ, Prosecutor Choi along with a doctor was there and they are trying to see how SJ will react to certain images. They showed syringe. I am wondering did SJ told told them what happened in the hospital?   He told  DC what happened how he ended from Busan to  losing his memory , old man giving bus ticket, and ended up inside the bus where DC found him. Well, I don't think SJ mentioned anything about  the hospital but, why did PC decided to show syringe? Does she know something?  SJ reaction was sad to see. He's traumatized looking at the syringe.   PC may be doing something unethical (strong term, probably illegal is better) but there's something not right.  I have so see more  episodes to validate my theory.

Now about Man Choon,  in exchange of helping the thug boss escape prison,  DC found a way to also get SJ out of prison which includes MC. the jail bus with inmates including SJ and MC being transferred to a different location ( as the request of PC). Car chase ensues  bus over turns, DC drag the injured SJ and sped off but police hot on their trail.  then they were trapped. The most plausible thing to do is jump from the bridge to avoid the police. SJ DC jumping off the bridge was the last scene of ep 2.

Overall thoughts eps 1-2

1. Wonderful acting by JJY as the distraught emotional father..

2  Good job by YSG, terrific as SJ (didn't see much scene as SH). We certainly see the potential of this rookie actor.

3 I like the car chase scene.  Nicely executed. I like when drama production does something extra good.

4. Prosecutor Choi is vague character. There must be backstory as to why she's like that.

5. Drama pacing is fast  ( revelation that SY is alive was shown already in ep 2) yet slow about the clone aspect.

I don't need this crime chase thriller  to be in the league of  Voice or Tunnel. These previous dramas of OCN  have big name stars and  have different story plot and the type of dramas bloggers/reviewers tend to follow and recap. What I want for this drama is to be satisfyingly good. Period.

I like the drama and I'll keep watching.  So yeah I answered my own questions and discussed the drama by myself. ☺️☺️☺️

JJY. I like! First time really watching him ( bc I didn't finish Assembly).  I'm reminded of  the actor who was in Oh My Geumbi. The character as well somehow reminds me  how a father will do anything to save her daughter similar to OMG and Defendant

Ep 3 preview

The evil devil Sung Hoon. He is tool of someone powerful. We don't know who yet.

Potential for this rookie.  Good job for this young actor.

Just saw episode 1 with subs, contemplating watching episode 2.  I am very confused - so much running around and different characters and flashbacks that it is difficult for me to connect to the drama.  I think I will give episode 2 a shot and see if I can become engrossed.

Archived