[Drama 2017] Duel 듀얼

larus

Duel: Episode 3

duel0300886.jpg

In Deuk-chun’s desperate attempt to find his daughter, he stumbles across another sinister plot. As he races to stay one step ahead of the police and prosecutors, doubts begin to creep in when the fugitive by his side reveals some surprising skills. There’s also someone new who might hold a key to the puzzle that is Sanyoung Research Group.

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/06/duel-episode-3/

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Duel" Episode 4

photo857709.jpg

"Duel" has a knack for providing answers only to raise more questions. Episode four is all about tracking down Choi Joo-sik, the subject of the 1993 experiments before Seong-hoon can get to him. Deuk-cheon's friends and the prosecution team keep dancing around each other as our two heroes get ready to infiltrate enemy lines. Mi-rae joins the game as shocking truths come to light.

The deeper we go into the clone business the more confusing it gets. On one hand, I was right about Jeon Byeong-joon (Jo Jae-ryong) looking a lot younger than his current styling in Seong-joon's (Yang Se-jong) flashbacks. It seems that a young man in 1993, when Choi Joo-sik (Jo Jae-wan) was experimented on was killed by him and Jeon. Was the young man a scientist killed as revenge for his twisted experiments?

Spoiler

The mystery scientistMi-rae visiting Joo-sik for answers

More importantly, is he really dead? The scars on Seong-hoon's body would have us believe that he is the original, which would make him quite old. The famous list is clearly crucial for him and his higher ups, so it seems that cloning is not the end game. It may only be a flawed method by which Seong-hoon keeps his body young, if he is the original scientist. Seong-joon is therefore a tool for revenge and survival, rather than a precious scientific achievement.

Of course, there is a far more likely possibility. That Seong-hoon is also a clone to the dead original who was created by his masters as an access point to the former's memories. He may simply be using surgery as well as other methods to prolong his life until the list can provide the key to his survival. The flawed genetics mean that Seong-joon is in danger as well, creating a dramatic dilemma. In order for the kind hero to survive, the villain has to succeed.

Deuk-cheon getting angry at Seong-joonJo-hye ordering her team to fire if necessary

I already mentioned the possibility that Deuk-cheon's (Jeong Jae-yeong) wife was her sister and that Jo-hye might hate Deuk-cheon for her fate, so perhaps both apply. Soo-yeon is someone she cares about and Deuk-cheon is someone she is bitter for enough to not make his survival a priority. I hope the series will juggle the two sides of this story well, since they hold equal places in the premise.

cr: http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-duel-episode-4-106923.html

3 hours ago, triplem said:

Will catch up soon....but meanwhile let me drop this off..

:D Looking forward to it. Finally, so interested in your thoughts. After all my word is on the line. :ph34r:

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts.  Enjoy reading theories and analysis. ^^

@bebebisous33 as always  when you explain, I understand <3

@bedifferent I'm here.. I only get to watch on weekends ^^.  I'm also watching my fav jdramas  (Crisis, Chiisana Kyojin, Hanzai Shokogun) so I'm also checking the j thread..

I watched episode 4 but I really got confused and I'm going to watch it again this Friday before ep 5.  I just know SH likely was organ donor (seeing that  tummy stitch when he put on his  black polo) SH need that list.

Spoiler

cto as tagged.

2 hours ago, jongski said:

I'm also watching my fav jdramas  (Crisis, Chiisana Kyojin, Hanzai Shokogun) so I'm also checking the j thread..

I watched episode 4 but I really got confused and I'm going to watch it again this Friday before ep 5.  I just know SH likely was organ donor (seeing that  tummy stitch when he put on his  black polo) SH need that list.

Reveal hidden contents

cto as tagged.

@triplem I get super confused watching Duel. The reviewers from HanCinema and Dramabeans don't sound like they are sure of their opinions either.  Reading their posts just confirmed for me that the showrunners are the only ones who fully get it :lol::lol:

Jdramas... haven't seen one for a long time.  I need my own clone to get stuffs done for me so I can binge dramas left and right!

@larus i checked again.  synopsis said both SH and SJ shared the same surrogated mother? I've always thought that they were cloned via iPS (gene manipulation from adult cells in the lab).  Were they actually cloned from embryonic stem cells (like from female egg and sperms on petri dish)?  Can you check  on your end if that is true? :lol:

Duel: Episode 4

by odilettante

duel0401314.jpg

Ahhhhh, what a good episode, full of minor secrets and discoveries that are undoubtedly paving the way to something much more insidious. Thanks to some tantalizing hints, it’s a race to find a man who might hold a clue to what happened twenty-four years ago — and possibly, what led to the clones being who they are today.

Read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/06/duel-episode-4/

Waiting ep 5. Good vs Bad but who's really who? in the midst of all the confusion, the close, the organ donor, the flashback, the prosecutor...  there's a 12 yr girl stuck in some secret medical room with ivy drips who is sick and need stem cell treatment. I want the writer be  consistent and the editing gotta improve. Thumbs up to Jung Jae Young and Yang Se Jong for their good acting.

DCJNp2sW0AIMmTS.jpg

On 6/10/2017 at 3:06 AM, jongski said:

I feel bad for Sung Joon and sad Sung Hoon  Yes, he's tough and sinister but I feel he's fragile inside. Like when he was at his fancy place like he's tired of all sh*ts going on. Or when he took of his polo shirt, he sighed  again, or when he told Soo Yeon to shut it  when he was talking to the other  guy inside.

I wonder if Sung Hoon had been sick before and was cured because of stem cell. I feel that something happened to him before.

And then after that in my next posts, I mentioned SH may have a dark [sad] past hence psycho like actions. Organ was taken out and we don't see that exact scene but brief glance of SH  stitched abdomen.  But then it's SJ who knows how to stitch (see ep 3 he was stitching his open wound and DC looked at him. SJ telling he really doesn't know anything) . What I think is, they switched. And it's always SH who needs injection from the syringe. I could be totally wrong here and just babbling... but how and why is the question. 

When I first saw the story is about cloning, I though, ethics of cloning might be tackled (and that could be serious/ boring). But the subject of getting body organs (and selling them), I've seen from  jtbc drama LAST- they get body organs from homeless people and sell them

In this drama there's correlation from kidnapping to taking body organs to cloning to stem cell, to cure? All for the glory, for power and money. Or perhaps fame  and recognition (for the Sanyoung) for finding cure. Need to wait for more episodes. It seems to be but again I could totally be wrong.

Getting body organs, cloning,  and stem cell- these 3 are heavy subjects which question morals and ethics. Probably in latter episodes viewers will do as story progresses  Anyway this a drama and just want to see good dark thriller story.

I still want to see how the clone happened how and why and for and more SH SJ  face off. EP 5 later. I'm waiting.

6 hours ago, triplem said:

@Dhakra Just watched 2 episodes...very good...but I think what really bought  me over was when Chief jang decided to ditch the system and risked it all at the end of episode 2.

Anyway official hello to all chingus here: @MiAmour (chingu, you watch so many dramas!) @bedifferent (yes can be a little confusing but I love the idea that I can keep guessing) @bebebisous33 @sava2sava @jongski  and all others who are watching as well.

I have many questions in my head now which I'm sure will be explained as I watch the next 2 eps.

I'm intrigued by our clones...are they both clones? The good one is the clone of the other? All roads to lead to Sanyoung Pharmaceutical?...I wonder if the story is about the ethical issues of cloning or that's just a back-drop to a desperate father's journey to find his missing daughter? Choi-  why does she wear that single expression on her face - it's like she can't bat her eye-lids , lol! But hmmm she seems very keen on closing every case quickly..I don't like her much at the moment but I don't think she's the ultimate villain... They better not kill off SY, the lil girl, cause I really like her.

Altogether very good acting all round , but I have to say this young and oh so cute actor is doing a fantastic job...

Ah, Queen Noona finally arrived :D 

Well, I won't tell you if your questions will be explained during the next two episodes, the drama handles this very differently I think, but you will see.

We guess they are both clones, @bedifferenthad a few interesting thoughts about this a few pages ago. You should definitely watch the next two ( and todays) episode first. 

Yep, I don't want to get SY killed off aswell, and more importantly, Mi-Rae. I don't think you saw her yet, she will be introduced in ep3, but nobody is allowed to harm her aswell. My SLS has been activated already :D She's such a beauty. :wub:

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

girlfriday

• Duel: It’s still a little slow going, but this show has a detective and a clone on the lam. Together. I mean, I’m not gonna not watch that show. I just wish the reveals would come a bit faster. If the clone is a clone of an evil mastermind, shouldn’t he be quicker on the uptake?

====

New stills

DCg81DpU0AAHUK9.jpg

OCN_%EB%93%80%EC%96%BC_1-2%ED%99%94%EC%9

Poor Sung Joon. I just saw a preview clip of Ep 5, he's getting beat up and kick again. This time by Choi Joo Shik. Then Sung Hoon arrives in black hoody (looking so handsome and cool I can't not swoon) and shoots everyone in the dark. He'll probably beat up Sung Joon even more. Sighhhhh. At the rate he gets beaten up every episode and his body deteriorating, I'm afraid he's gonna die, LOL. *SMH*

Link from Naver TV: http://tv.naver.com/v/1780325

OCN also releases new characters relationship chart and character descriptions. The only problem is... it's in Korean. T_T

006cIb6Lgy1fgo8mf4cu7j30k012wdjs.jpg

006cIb6Lgy1fgo8mgm5kgj30jg08ct9r.jpg

006cIb6Lgy1fgo8mhlqxqj30jg08cgmc.jpg

006cIb6Lgy1fgo8mii4g8j30jg08caas.jpg

006cIb6Lgy1fgo8mo2clij30kk08cn2v.jpg

006cIb6Lgy1fgo8mjkltuj30jg08ct9l.jpg

006cIb6Lgy1fgo8ml3kaej30jg08cjs4.jpg

Archived