[Drama 2017] Duel 듀얼

larus

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MiAmour Thanks for providing the video cuts. One thing about OCN, hard to LS the network, but they update quickly once drama starts. Checking the raw in a little while.

@triplem welcome aboard. I also think SJ (the good one) probably used to work in the hospital as he knows how to stitch wounds. I don't think they're both clones. I think SH (the bad one) has a more complicated story than SJ. Was used as a tool or experimented on. They need  the list, that Mirae has... whose father was part of. SH ultimate end game? after watching 4 episodes, for now I'll say... could be revenge. I'm feeling my gut something awful happened to him in the past. For me, SH is more intriguing than SJ just because his actions gives off that vibe of something wrong was done to him.  The old guy who's with him,  you mean the one at his fancy place?  SH has this boss, authoritative stamp over him. He also  knows abut the  syringe injection SH is doing.

" so am just wondering if this competes with organ harvesting- which is why the bad clone killed  off that organ harvesting doc. "

I didn't think of it that way.  Now that you mentioned it, could be. But I always thought after watching 4 episodes, organs taken out of the bodies has something to do with  research/ experiment for stem cell treatment - which SY ( the daughter) is a candidate from Sanyoung hospital who is also owns Sanyoung pharmaceuticals.

Organ taking or harvesting/selling can be major story subject on it's own as is Stem Cell which is really  the one that should get a focus.  The kidnapping, getting some one else's body organ complicates  the story line.  Hello writer!

Anyway, ep 5 and 6 will likely answer all  nagging questions and confusion. I'm still intrigue.

PS: In real life, some hospitals allow organ taking and stem cell especially if it will save lives. However there's  that moral ethical issues.

Well, no pain in the world could stop me from watching my currently fav drama. My thoughts (which will be a bit shortes this time)

• The scene with SY wandering around, searching for her dad im combination with that theme was killing me. It's so sad.
  • MR really is such a cutie. :wub:I would trust her from the first second onwards.
  • Still don't know what JH is up to, it seems like she knows way more than she admits.
  • YSJ does a fantastic job, he plays both his roles so perfectly. I just want to see more scenes of him acting. How he played both roles at the start was brilliant. He's coldblooded on one character and desperately helpless at his other role. It's so smooth how he mastered both his roles.
  • I just love this drama so much, the intensity, the story, it's just one great masterpiece so far.
  • SJ remembers MR's mother, now it will be interesting to see which role she played at that hospital. 
  • So we know that SH organs were removed and put into five different people, he will try to get revenge and kill them. So it really has a lot of similarities with "The Island". I like it.
  • I want to see more of MR aswell, I like her role. But that may be because I fanboy her pretty hard. :D 
  • Looking forward to tomorrows episode.

I've to say this one more time: Goshhhhh, evil Sung Hoon in hoody shooting the gangsters looks so hot (but I also feel a tint of sadness). Mianhe, Sung Joon, just let my heart flutter at your evil counterpart for a minute, LOL. I hope Yang Se Jong will be nominated for Best New Actor in Baeksang for this outstanding performance.

As for the plot:

Now we can be sure the list holds information to the people who received Hoon and Joon's original owner's organs. Which organ would give him a cure? Choi Joo Sik said there are 5 people, so we are looking at 5 organs: Liver, heart, kidneys, lungs, pancreas and thymus. Is it Thymus since it's the lymphoid organ of our immune system?

I love the twist as to Hoon is shocked to find out Joon remembers. YES. Something he did not expect and may ruin his revenge plan. That said, I am sad to get a confirmation from Hoon that Joon will eventually die (from their clone handicap). He, of course, would not want to save Joon even if he has the cure. However, I wish he would grow some empathy for Joon afterwards.

Even though I said before I didn't mind Joon die in the end, but there's still that little part of me hoping both clones survive because they are victims of the research. Furthermore, I don't think I'm the only one who felt the pinkish atmosphere between Mi Rae and Joon, right? The 'trust me' and 'how old are you' conversation is so suggestive of a budding relationship, hehehe. They were so cute in that scene, and it was also nice to see for the first time Joon smiling naturally. I wouldn't mind Joon survive in the end to have a normal life with Mi Rae. :blush:

Lastly, I LOVEEE the bond forming between Deok Chun and Sung Joon. Sometimes there are still tension between them, especially when Deok Chun is anxious about Soo Yeon he takes it out on Joon, and Joon shows him empathy; while all other times, they take care of one another e.g. Deok Chun buys Joon painkillers and food, Joon tears his shirt to tie on Deok Chun's arm, Deok Chun trusts Joon enough to suture his wound etc. Even though they say they don't trust each other, but their actions said otherwise e.g. in episode 3 when Joon fell behind and he could easily escape, but he didn't and Deok Chun trusted him enough to let him out of his sight, or this episode where they look for each other after getting separated. I hope Sung Joon shares the information he had with Mi Rae with Deok Chun too, because that's what will deepen their bond and solve the mystery. While Joon, Deok Chun and Mi Rae appear to form a bond, I hope to see Soo Yeon and Hoon form one too.

Episode 6 Preview: Looks like we will finally see some of Hoon's past and learn more about him. Really look forward to that because just as I love Joon, I want to love Hoon too, and trust that he's just a clone desperate for some justice and ultimately wanted to put an end to all this pain. I'm dying to know who has a metal in his hand—could that be Sung Joon's X-ray?

17 hours ago, triplem said:

1. Bad clone & good clone confrontation scene at the warehouse was very good. This young actor is able to convey two distinct personalities. I'm now speculating if the good one was previously a surgeon himself or some medical personnel. The bad one - what's his ultimate end game ? Obviously using the good one as a way to distract the authorities. Why did he kill the organ transplant doctor ? Who is the older man with him? Right now I'm not quite sure if they are really the bad guys 

2. Many roads seem to lead to this name : Choi Joo Sik. The reporter brought this up when looking through her late mother's envelope. And bad clone mentioned he will be the next target. All I know right now is that he / she was the subject of the research. 

3. Pluripotent stem cell - out curiosity I just googled this & from my research these are cells that lack the ability to become placenta cells & cannot form whole organisms ie they can't be clones(?)... but the Chinese have claimed they have been able to use such cells to clone a mice ...ok I felt like a nerd doing this & was trying to see how this links to the story- so am just wondering if this competes with organ harvesting- which is why the bad clone killed  off that organ harvesting doc.

Just to answer your question with my guesses :lol:  

YSJ is doing a great job here, I'm a new fan.  Will be watching out for his future projects.  

SJ and SH were probably cloned from the scientist (the one in the picture that MiRae has - he could also be her dad?).  MiRae's documents are vital signs records and medical records notes.  If you look closely, the records have heart rate, pulse, respiratory rate, temp... indicating that MiRae's mom could be an OR nurse who helps document vital signs during surgeries.  She did not want MiRae to become a doctor thus our girl changed career to medical journalist.  

The scientist's adult cells were modified in the labs into pluripotent stem cells (master stem cells that can multiply into any cell in the body).  The stem cells are called iPS (induced pluripotent stem cells) because it was induced in the labs.  There is also another type of pluripotent stem cells called embryonic stem cells that are made not from adult cells but from an embryo (union of egg and sperm in the lab).  I'm not sure which type of pluripotent stem cells the clones SH and SJ are from. The synopsis seem to indicate that SH and SJ were from embryonic pluripotent stem cells cause it said they have the same surrogated mother, we have to watch to confirm this.

My guess is the scientist was doing stem cells research.  He used his adult cells to make stem cells.  SJ has memory of the scientist (his origin donor) doing surgery as well as having some surgeon skills. SH was prolly the first clone.  His organs were harvested, the bad ones from the recipients were transplanted back into his body.  He needs stem cell injections to regenerate new cells and tissues for his bad organs.  The scientist was probably killed by CJS but I am not sure if organ harvesting happened after or before the scientist's death.   As in CJS was the one who cut open SH and sold his organs.  Both clones SJ and SH inherited the bad heart disease gene from the scientist so they both have cardiac disease/chest pain.  

The list apparently are of the five organ donor recipients.  

Off to watch the new episode to confirm. :D

5 hours ago, sia3 said:

Now we can be sure the list holds information to the people who received Hoon and Joon's original owner's organs. Which organ would give him a cure? Choi Joo Sik said there are 5 people, so we are looking at 5 organs: Liver, heart, kidneys, lungs, pancreas and thymus. Is it Thymus since it's the lymphoid organ of our immune system?

The thymus is where the haematopoietic stem cells from the bone marrow go to mature into T-cells.  T cells activates and stimulates the immune system to destroy any foreign bacterias, viruses, cancer cells, etc.

If the thymus is what SH is looking for, it means that he is injecting stem cells but still need his thymus back to have these stem cells be housed and mature into T cells and reform his immune system.  

I don't see how the clones can survive but this is Kdrama :lol:

@bedifferent

I hope whichever organ it is that Hoon seeks isn't used to replace his, but rather something in the organ he needs to cure the defect, and this would mean Sung Joon can be saved too. Or else it just means death is the ultimate end for the both of them in the finale. T^T I'll be sad and heartbroken, but I think it'll still be sooooo good.

----

And eeeeeekkkk, looks like Sung Joon and Deok Chun are under attack.

ViigM0Y.jpg

g3axjoz.jpg
7vXdgrR.jpg
RFaMqYO.jpg
14IFMS0.jpg
sLt2V0r.jpg
wKm4awA.jpg

mRSE5IO.jpg
ryb81fX.jpg
TN7c1eH.jpg
s49ALQZ.jpg
5FlQuNa.jpg
KvtU8CD.jpg
kPcojJO.jpg

@sia3  geezus.  Finished E5.  Have some thoughts about it but but what get me omg-ed is the preview of E6.

I don't know why the list of organ recipients is important to SH.  Sound like those recipients have no idea that they received organs from a clone.  Maybe they were used as test subjects like the clones, to test out organ transplant from stem cells for medical purposes in the early days? We have to watch more to see if this was the case or if the organs were simply sold for money.  You have a point.  Maybe SH wants to track down the five subjects to see how they can successfully live with the cloned organs so he can find the cure to his own defects, not necessary to get back his organs.

How can SJ remember Ryu Jeong Sook writing MiRae's name in her maternity journal?  Does it mean little SJ was in the room watching MiRae's mom?  Moments before, SJ and MiRae had a discussion about how old he is.  I think SJ was "born" before MiRae's mom was pregnant. :huh:

Cha Gil Ho and CSJ may have been working at the research institute, is that them attacking the doctor in front of his office?

Anyway, episode 6 preview.  Two boys SH and SJ, looks like SJ did ask someone to save and help him escape.  Is that SH being tied down as punishment? Synopsis said both boys tried to escape when they were 8 but SH was captured (btw, did you see those marks on his back after the showers, what are those?).  Whose hands with pins are those Xrays of? 

So many questions...  YSJ is so cute, find him a cure!!! :lol:

37 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

@sia3  geezus.  Finished E5.  Have some thoughts about it but but what get me omg-ed is the preview of E6.

I don't know why the list of organ recipients is important to SH.  Sound like those recipients have no idea that they received organs from a clone.  Maybe they were used as test subjects like the clones, to test out organ transplant from stem cells for medical purposes in the early days? We have to watch more to see if this was the case or if the organs were simply sold for money.  You have a point.  Maybe SH wants to track down the five subjects to see how they can successfully live with the cloned organs so he can find the cure to his own defects, not necessary to get back his organs.

How can SJ remember Ryu Jeong Sook writing MiRae's name in her maternity journal?  Does it mean little SJ was in the room watching MiRae's mom?  Moments before, SJ and MiRae had a discussion about how old he is.  I think SJ was "born" before MiRae's mom was pregnant. :huh:

Cha Gil Ho and CSJ may have been working at the research institute, is that them attacking the doctor in front of his office?

Anyway, episode 6 preview.  Two boys SH and SJ, looks like SJ did ask someone to save and help him escape.  Is that SH being tied down as punishment? Synopsis said both boys tried to escape when they were 8 but SH was captured (btw, did you see those marks on his back after the showers, what are those?).  Whose hands with pins are those Xrays of? 

So many questions...  YSJ is so cute, find him a cure!!! :lol:

I have a question. Why do you think the organs are from a clone? All this time I thought it's the organs of the scientist/doctor, the original human being. I can't remember who wrote it, but I agree he may be a researcher and one that uses his own stem cells/DNA to make Hoon and Joon. And as we saw in E6, his body is currently frozen and with dissection scars, so I'm wondering if Hoon and the old man wanted to retrieve all the organs so that they can find out what went wrong in their cloning research. Perhaps the organs hold the key to the true success of cloning...?

Previously I thought Sung Joon might be frozen in time or in deep slumber, but I don't think this is plausible since the intellect of a person frozen in time won't grow to the state that Sung Joon is already in, regardless clone or actual humans. In addition, the locomotive muscles of a frozen person won't be able to function immediately because he will need rehab. But it does still bug me that in comparison to Sung Hoon, he is like a newborn baby, so innocent and has no memory of his own life. All the flashbacks he is getting are memories of the scientist/doctor (and god I wish we have a name by now so that we can address him properly in our discussion—I'll call him Dr. Original for now). Mi Rae is 27 years old and both Hoon and Joon are 24 years old according to Duel's character description. So she's born before them and now I wonder if they have actually grew up together.

Who is Cha Gil Ho? Is CSJ Choi Joo Sik? I'm a little confused here to be honest because in Sung Joon's flashback, they kept showing Choi Joo Sik and his nametag. Why would patients have nametag on their clothings? Medical staffs are the one with name sewn on their uniforms. I'm starting to think Choi Joo Sik's name appearing on the test results because he's the person in charge of performing those tests and you know how we have to sign our name on documents for traceability...? Maybe because we don't understand Korean so we've been mistaken Choi Joo Sik as a patient. I now think he is a medical staff and Jin Byung Joon is a doctor, and he's the one that remove Dr. Original's organs. Ryu Jung Sook managed to escape after all this happens.

Yes, I saw the scars on Sung Hoon's back. From the preview, it looks like he had a nightmare about his childhood being tied down and subjected to multiple tests. It's a dream of adult Hoon vs little Hoon. I am not sure Joon is there. The unconscious man with a cut on his hand is where my curiosity lies and the metal in the X ray. But then Sung Joon can't go to hospital, would it be his X rays?

LOL, totally agree, Yang Se Jong is a cutie. He definitely needs to live, and I'm surprised that he's now playing three roles rather than two.

@bedifferent @sia3 @Dhakra@jongski

I am definitely falling for LSH. Yes, he is coldblooded and ruthless. However his tragic past and his reaction when he heard that LSJ would remember things show that we shouldn't see LSH as the really bad one. The true evil persons here are the humans like CSJ or the doctor BJ who killed people for harvesting organs. He is determined to get revenged but he is no longer the puppet of the detective Beak and the Big boss.duel0402745.jpg

duel0402753.jpgI am no longer calling LSH the Bad clone and LSJ the good clone. Sure, LSH is lacking empathy and warmth, but let us not forget that he has always been surrounded by people who were exactly like that: ruthless, coldblooded aso. So by living with SY who shows a lot of love for her father, I do think that LSH will change and will become more human.  

Anyway, the episode 5 was really good. I loved how LSH entered CSJ's room and killed CSJ. The latter wanted to kill LSJ and showed no remorse to kill that person for a second time but once he was put in the same situation (being threatened), he was so small and expected to make it out alive. 

@Dhakra The memories make it more and more obvious that LSJ and LSH have the same memories: the doctor who was killed by BJ and CSJ. So this is definitely like The Island.

Duel OST 1 Mad Soul Child Nightmare

Was thinking again. That metal in the hand... could it be a tracking device? So that baddies/Sung Hoon will know where Sung Joon is. Or else there is no need for the cut on his hand to be so deep if they didn't have to make an insertion of the metal chip inside his hand.

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I am definitely falling for LSH. Yes, he is coldblooded and ruthless. However his tragic past and his reaction when he heard that LSJ would remember things show that we shouldn't see LSH as the really bad one. The true evil persons here are the humans like CSJ or the doctor BJ who killed people for harvesting organs. He is determined to get revenged but he is no longer the puppet of the detective Beak and the Big boss.

I am no longer calling LSH the Bad clone and LSJ the good clone. Sure, LSH is lacking empathy and warmth, but let us not forget that he has always been surrounded by people who were exactly like that: ruthless, coldblooded aso. So by living with SY who shows a lot of love for her father, I do think that LSH will change and will become more human.  

Hi~~ SH is a tragic figure.  He's being manipulated and trained to kill for his revenge.  I like that he has his own agenda, golf bag guy Cha Gil Ho tips toes around him to not set him off :D It's hard to believe that SH will end well. :huh: The little girl was kidnapped by SH... her fate is intertwined with his.  Interesting to see that he has some feelings or sparks of empathy for being a clone.  Scientists have been tracking twins to study about how we get our empathy from, is it from genetics or can it be taught?  Nuture vs. nature.  Some studies say our empathy is 50% heritable, we inherit those genes... here, we see that the SJ has some empathy from his donor even though he was trained to kill.

6 hours ago, sia3 said:

I have a question. Why do you think the organs are from a clone? All this time I thought it's the organs of the scientist/doctor, the original human being. I can't remember who wrote it, but I agree he may be a researcher and one that uses his own stem cells/DNA to make Hoon and Joon. And as we saw in E6, his body is currently frozen and with dissection scars, so I'm wondering if Hoon and the old man wanted to retrieve all the organs so that they can find out what went wrong in their cloning research. Perhaps the organs hold the key to the true success of cloning...?

Previously I thought Sung Joon might be frozen in time or in deep slumber, but I don't think this is plausible since the intellect of a person frozen in time won't grow to the state that Sung Joon is already in, regardless clone or actual humans. In addition, the locomotive muscles of a frozen person won't be able to function immediately because he will need rehab. But it does still bug me that in comparison to Sung Hoon, he is like a newborn baby, so innocent and has no memory of his own life. All the flashbacks he is getting are memories of the scientist/doctor (and god I wish we have a name by now so that we can address him properly in our discussion—I'll call him Dr. Original for now). Mi Rae is 27 years old and both Hoon and Joon are 24 years old according to Duel's character description. So she's born before them and now I wonder if they have actually grew up together.

Who is Cha Gil Ho? Is CSJ Choi Joo Sik? I'm a little confused here to be honest because in Sung Joon's flashback, they kept showing Choi Joo Sik and his nametag. Why would patients have nametag on their clothings? Medical staffs are the one with name sewn on their uniforms. I'm starting to think Choi Joo Sik's name appearing on the test results because he's the person in charge of performing those tests and you know how we have to sign our name on documents for traceability...? Maybe because we don't understand Korean so we've been mistaken Choi Joo Sik as a patient. I now think he is a medical staff and Jin Byung Joon is a doctor, and he's the one that remove Dr. Original's organs. Ryu Jung Sook managed to escape after all this happens.

Yes, I saw the scars on Sung Hoon's back. From the preview, it looks like he had a nightmare about his childhood being tied down and subjected to multiple tests. It's a dream of adult Hoon vs little Hoon. I am not sure Joon is there. The unconscious man with a cut on his hand is where my curiosity lies and the metal in the X ray. But then Sung Joon can't go to hospital, would it be his X rays?

LOL, totally agree, Yang Se Jong is a cutie. He definitely needs to live, and I'm surprised that he's now playing three roles rather than two.

SH has surgical scar so I thought his organs were also harvested and sold. I am wrong then? Do you have a guess of why he has a scar? 

We are guessing that Dr. Original was killed by CJS, his organs sold.  Maybe SH's surgery/scar was for a different reason and by a different surgeon.  SJ remembers cutting someone as Dr. O, was it on SH or another clone?  Dr. O's stem cell experience could be for a completely different reason and his work was hijacked by Byung-joon (dead) and Choi Joo Sik (dead).  Sorry initials CSJ is meant to be CJS.  

CJS was listed as subject in those vital sign records. I think someone or CJS could have falsified the records.  Why did MiRae's mom keep them, falsified records or not?  How did she escape?  Did she cut his ear during the struggle to escape?  CJS is not a physician so he can't legally sign medical records or be listed as the physician in charge.  I think the records are dated Feb 1994, somebody known as CJS was noted to die in 1993 if I am not mistaken.  I know things are not adding up at this point.:huh:

I didn't know that MiRae is 27 and SH/SJ are 24.  Thanks for telling me.  Hmm, this complicates matter more.  Is SJ seeing Mirae's mom as Dr. O? We should know more today about SJ's history.  

My mistake, Cha Gil Ho is clueless golf bag guy.  I mean Byung-joon (dead) and Choi Joo Sik (dead) could have worked at the institute and maybe were seen attacking Dr. O in front of his office. I know, haha, think we'll get to see the past more with YSJ being Dr. O along with Byung-joon and Choi Joo Sik.

If the frozen body is Dr. O, who was sent to be cremated as CJS, his brother Joo Soo?

16 minutes ago, MiAmour said:

P/S: At 0:02, is he the same guy as 0.24?? No?

At 0:02, that's the third guy we haven't met. I don't think he's golf bag guy aka Cha Gil Ho who doesn't know about the organ recipients' ID.

CSJ at 00:13 (guy in the background) along with Jin Byung-joon in the operating room.  Poor Dr. Oh?! 

@bebebisous33  omo, lol, Dir. Baek's real name is Cha Gil Ho (aka golf bag guy).  Karma. :lol:

5 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

No, that's the third guy we haven't met.

Alright thanks for the clarification,

that guy somewhat reminded me of Chief Jang from Voice drama, his voice somewhat similar, well i might be wrong lol:D

Spoiler

voice0600543.jpg

Archived