[Drama 2017] Duel 듀얼

larus

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching raw ep 7 so have to bear in mind, I'm not understanding the dialogues so not sure what's going on but I can see what's happening.

I just had to pause cos I think I spoke to soon? I said I wanted to see  that SH SY scene  hence watching the raw but SH being cruel, sinister, cold SH again.  His action towards DC...like toying with him. DC can see but he can't touch. SY doesn't know.

But I felt SH, anger, pain, the hurt of what happened back in 1993.  I like the sequence of the scenes. Present time is SH. flashback 1993. Doctor could be SH or SJ.  The coming  back to present time with SJ..

Present  - SH hammered to death someone from his past. then..

flashback -1993, bespectacled doctor (SH? or SJ?), drugged, tied, put a masking tape on his mouth, organs taken out

Present - SJ waking up to the dream..which was the flashback of SH.

I know right. I'm confused too. But that's cos watching raw right now.. But Doctor was SH..nope is SJ- he's having flashback in the bathroom..

Correct me if I'm wrong, ok.  What's everyone's theory?

Yang Se Jong's so terrific impressive  showing different emotions, he's actually scary as SH! That scary smile then becoming serious  (@33.17)

Our doctor's name is Lee Yoon Sub and he wasn't a nice person either. He used CSJ and Park DS as cobayes for tests. They thought that they only needed to lie down for 6 months but in the end, they were treated like rats (chained on a bed and no liberty to move freely, moreover they stayed there more than 6 months. No wonder why they got so cruel towards the doctor. But I am in no way supporting their action: killing a man by taking out his organs is cruel and gruesome!!

@bebebisous33 so the doctor is neither SH not even SJ? Yeah scene was 'cruel and gruesome' What kind of test was doctor LYS doing? stem cell or does it have to do with organs too? LSH organ came from.....? I am assuming that he's got somebody's organs.. SJ or.. the doctor.  But.. was the doctor's body preserve? He's the one with the Y cut? I;m also curious what Mirae found out, she was talking to herself whilst looking at the list, she must've have figured something. I 'm babbling here..

This drama confuses me.  Secretforest/stranger confuses me. Circle confuses me.  All good current show's confusing me. ^^

30 minutes ago, jongski said:

@bebebisous33 so the doctor is neither SH not even SJ? Yeah scene was 'cruel and gruesome' What kind of test was doctor LYS doing? stem cell or does it have to do with organs too? LSH organ came from.....? I am assuming that he's got somebody's organs.. SJ or.. the doctor.  But.. was the doctor's body preserve? He's the one with the Y cut? I;m also curious what Mirae found out, she was talking to herself whilst looking at the list, she must've have figured something. I 'm babbling here..

This drama confuses me.  Secretforest/stranger confuses me. Circle confuses me.  All good current show's confusing me. ^^

No, LSJ and LSH are clones and the doctor's stem cells were used to create them. Right, LSH is looking for the organs that belonged to LYS because he knows that he needs organ transplants if he wants to live. He wants all the 5 organs that were stolen from LYS. Since LSH and LYS have the same stem cells, the rejection is not a problem. However, MR is doubting that a surgery of 5 organs is even possible to do!! So far, I am not lost at all.

Nevertheless, I was quite mad at JDC because he didn't confide to LSJ. On the other hand, JDC told LSH that he would do anything for LSH for his daughter, whereas in reality, he wanted to find someone who was important to LSH. Once he got his hands on PDS, he has now leverage against LSH.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, LSJ and LSH are clones and the doctor's stem cells were used to create them. Right, LSH is looking for the organs that belonged to LYS because he knows that he needs organ transplants if he wants to live. He wants all the 5 organs that were stolen from LYS. Since LSH and LYS have the same stem cells, the rejection is not a problem. However, MR is doubting that a surgery of 5 organs is even possible to do!! So far, I am not lost at all.

Nevertheless, I was quite mad at JDC because he didn't confide to LSJ. On the other hand, JDC told LSH that he would do anything for LSH for his daughter, whereas in reality, he wanted to find someone who was important to LSH. Once he got his hands on PDS, he has now leverage against LSH.

Thanks bebebisous33. I understood now.  The one I highlight. so.. his daughter in exchange for PDS?

Finished the subbed episode, thought:

• So both are clones that were created by using the stem cells of LYS. LYS wasn't a nice person at all, it seems he did some shady stuff on prisoners himself.
  • MR's mother seemed to be heavily involved in this, she drugged them and was an accomplice it seems.
  • LSH is so evil, but so smart aswell. The way how he blackmailed DS using his daughter was so genius. I'm sorry I use such supporting words, but the plan itself was so intelligent. The moment SY said he should say to DS she want's him to help was so brutal.
  • YSJ playing a triple role now, that boy slays all of his roles so far, I really like his acting. 
  • LYS was brutally killed, it wonders me a little how three prisoners that were drugged could remove five organs so easily, but it seems like they had a good how-to guide lying around.
  • SH plays a round of 'gotta catch'em all' and wants all organs that were removed from LYS. He wants to be the next Frankenstein's monster and replace his defect organs with the healthy ones. Quite interesting story I have to say.
  • I like that the story doesn't have a clear hero, MR is just an investigating daughter and SJ is pretty much just a victim that doesn't know anything. 
  • I'm curious if we see more clones, the preview didn't say a specific amount of clones.
  • I really don't want a relationship between SJ and MR, it would feel so unnecessary and forced.
  • DS changed the terms of the deal, now he has something to blackmail SH.
  • Preview looks very promising.

ZNqop3Oh.jpg

6r7dwN4h.jpg

HAHAHA, these two shots are so out of characters but I love it. :wub:

The new episode gave us answers and raise more questions...but it's no new news for Duel.

• Firstly, so glad Dr. Original finally has a name: Lee Yong Sub.

• This episode helps us better understand why Choi Joo Sik and Park Dong Seul attack Lee Yong Sub and hold a grudge towards him.

• From Ep 8 preview, it tells us Kim Hye Jin is the egg donor that would make the clones. We don't know if Lee Yong Sub offered to be the Host of the clones, but what we can be sure is, he became the Host anyway after he dies.

• I'm with Mi Rae on it is impossible to transplant all organs back into Sung Hoon, on the account that how can he trust Sanyoung (is it them he's working for?) that they will really transplant the organs into his body and not kill him. I think they want the organs back for something else.

• I don't have great understanding of iPS and how cloning a human works, but assuming Sung Hoon/Sung Joon are cloned from adult cells of Lee Yong Sub, then could the reason why both clones have organs handicap is because they could clone everything from the dead Lee Yong Sub, apart from his missing organs??? So now they needed his organs back so they could collect individual cells of clone these organs.

• There are some missing scenes from last week's previews. Typically we saw Sung Joon holding a camera and studying in a library... I hope we get to see that tonight.

• Oh yeah, must say I'm disappointed the scene between Soo Yeon and Sung Hoon are not what I expected. No bonding at all :( and even less of a chance for bonding after I see the below picture.

Ckq5kBYh.jpg

The moment when that curtain close, LSH be like, "THE SHOWS OVER DUDE, BYE"ㅋㅋㅋㅋ :sweat_smile:

=======

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Duel" Episode 7

photo860964.jpg

You spin me right round, "Duel" and not in a good way. The drama manages to explain things while raising more questions and while that is good with some parts of the plot, it is starting to get tiring when it comes to our villains and their plans. At least Deuk-cheon finally has proof of Soo-yeon's well-being, even if the joy is short-lived.

As much as I love Deuk-cheon's (Jeong Jae-yeong) reunion with Soo-yeon (Lee Na-yoon), I do regret that he and his relationship with her and Seong-joon (Yang Se-jong) are so underdeveloped. It is sad to see the character treated as a tool by the writing and while his little fallout with Seong-joon and the latter's puppy dog eyes are the stuff of a good bromance, the series never commits to its emotional potential.

Spoiler

Deuk-cheon seeing his daughterSeong-joon having been hurt by Deuk-cheon's words

As far as the cloning business goes, Mi-rae (Seo Eun-su) is on the right track. While transplanting the originals is impossible, there could be a cure made from their cells or they could simply be cloned to slowly replace the original ones. Both outcomes explain why our clones need them, but only partially. You cannot transplant everything so would the rest of their bodies not still deteriorate and die? A magical serum is the only thing which could keep the entirety of their current biology going.

Aside from cloning, the 1993 "surgery" makes no sense. For one, it was handled by two amateurs and one doctor. If they had the backing to carry the doctor out safely, did they not have it for a proper procedure? Did they even carry Lee Yong-seob (Yang Se-jong) to a safe location first or did they forget about Ryoo Jeong-sook (Kim Bo-jeong) and just do it there? Also, did Jeon Byeong-joon (Jo Jae-ryong) have donors all lined up? His escape plan hardly looks expensive, so I assume the money was for building new lives.

Jeong-sook and Yong-seobDong-seul, Joo-sik and Byeong-joon above Yong-seob

More importantly, why do our mysterious scientist and rich woman need Yong-seob's entire body? If it is his memories they need, they can just keep making his clones until one gives them what they are looking for. Are his cells not enough for this? There has to be a reason why his organs are necessary to them. Perhaps the secret to a full life span for clones relies on tissue from the entirety of the originator.

I am happy to see that the 1993 incident is presented so clearly, but the series does need to start establishing some rules for its pseudo-science. Mystery is good to a degree, but until "Duel" can explain the reasoning behind seemingly unreasonable procedures and goals, there is little enjoyment in following what the villains do, since it is now just repetitive headhunting.

cr: http://www.hancinema.net/...duel-episode-7

Thanks for the updates Mi Amour. I'm not surprised anymore.. LSH holding a gun, again. Hah.

7 hours ago, sia3 said:

• Oh yeah, must say I'm disappointed the scene between Soo Yeon and Sung Hoon are not what I expected. No bonding at all :( and even less of a chance for bonding after I see the below picture.

I wanted  the little girl to melthat cold  sinister  Sung Hoon.. but doesn't look like we're gonna get anything like that.

Waiting for subs and ep 8.

1 hour ago, triplem said:

4. Mi rae's mum was Lee's nurse who aided him in these experiments...Oh my could Lee be her dad...that will be twisted...but anyhow she (mum) obviously had some moral dilemma to whatever she witnessed , hence kept all the information that MR has now or she kept it just in case one day, she'd need it to protect her own life. 

If Lee to be turn up as her dad, then it quite similar to Tunnel drama tbvh, which the daughter has a 'younger' dad :sweat_smile:

-----

stills

DDJ9u7HUAAEtNwj.jpg

15 hours ago, sia3 said:

The new episode gave us answers and raise more questions...but it's no new news for Duel.

• Firstly, so glad Dr. Original finally has a name: Lee Yong Sub.

• This episode helps us better understand why Choi Joo Sik and Park Dong Seul attack Lee Yong Sub and hold a grudge towards him.

• From Ep 8 preview, it tells us Kim Hye Jin is the egg donor that would make the clones. We don't know if Lee Yong Sub offered to be the Host of the clones, but what we can be sure is, he became the Host anyway after he dies.

• I'm with Mi Rae on it is impossible to transplant all organs back into Sung Hoon, on the account that how can he trust Sanyoung (is it them he's working for?) that they will really transplant the organs into his body and not kill him. I think they want the organs back for something else.

• I don't have great understanding of iPS and how cloning a human works, but assuming Sung Hoon/Sung Joon are cloned from adult cells of Lee Yong Sub, then could the reason why both clones have organs handicap is because they could clone everything from the dead Lee Yong Sub, apart from his missing organs??? So now they needed his organs back so they could collect individual cells of clone these organs.

• There are some missing scenes from last week's previews. Typically we saw Sung Joon holding a camera and studying in a library... I hope we get to see that tonight.

Duel is helluva entertaining but as the drama starts to open up to plot and stories, it's going to be harder for it to stay real science.  We don't know how this whole cloning completely works yet in real life so eventually we may to have to hold off on our disbelief. :lol: Still, the drama already raises quite a bit of questions for us to ponder over, especially the ethical and emotional issues.  You guys are right, there's money involved, either for the right or wrong reasons.  Ethical dilemma is one thing holding cloning in check at this point besides the fact that science is just starting to learn how to use this knowledge for the greater good. We don't have the recipe completely figured out yet.  All experiments have to go through bioethical committee before starting.  If cloning is deemed medically necessary, we will see that restriction eases.  So it's something to really think about - who benefits and who has the right or power to make the decision about life.

I feel like this can become X-file-ish depends on how the writer wants to keep going, pseudo science vs. sci fi.

• We are lead to believe that SH and SJ were made from iPS.  Could it be that they were made from embryonic pluripotent stem cells? Kim Hye Jin could be the egg donor which suggests Lee Yong Sub could have used her eggs and his own adult stem cells.  So in fact, both are LYS's sons via a surrogated mother.  They are more than clones in a broader sense.  The other thought is that SH was from iPS and SJ is from embryonic PS.  Their 'dad' was doing comparative studies with both methods.They both came from an adult cell of LYS so both have the DNA programming already at the adult stage.  Both organs reflect the age of the stem cells donor. The synopsis said that both boys have the same surrogated mother... so I am still confused.  We have to watch more to know.
  • Synopsis also said that they both tried to escape but SH was caught and returned.  SJ disappeared.  I think their escape was after LYS died, maybe MiRae's mom tried to run away at the same time as well.  The building that SH lives in right now, where SY is kept, my hunch is the old prison hospital where experiments were carried out.
  • LYS started the experiment and became the host before he died, there's no way the 3 know enough to start this cloning thingy since none is a physician or scientist.   Who put his body into cryofreeze?  And why?  How did it end up in Sanyoung's hands?
  • Was it Sanyoung who wanted to steal the experiments from LSY, from what the 3 was talking about?
  • Although it looks like CJS and PDS were kept against their will, I think they were also used for their own good.  I think LYS were cloning the prisoners adult stem cells (iPS) into organs to transplant back into the prisoners themselves.  LYS were actually doing the early stage of medical cloning.  CJS and LBJ were prisoners with diseases that require transplants so LSY chose them as subjects for his experiments.  The injections that MiRae's nurses gave them could be investigational stem cells too.  
  • There were 6 prisoners out of 8 that died of same cause (heart attack) whose death certificates were signed by PDS.  We have a list of 5 organ transplant recipients from LYS.  PDS is one of them, there are 4 left with 1 more missing.  However, the numbers do not add up.  There are 2 remaining who needed organs, maybe LSH's organs were harvested for the remaining 2. SH also needs to find the 2 that are not on the list?   He doesn't know though.
  • Medically speaking, you can re-transplant the organs back once it has already been donated and implanted in someone else's.  We have organs that have been re-gifted if they are still in good shape and haven't been damaged much by the first host.  Most of the time, you worry about scar tissues forming from the first transplant and the first recipient's own body abusing the organ.  But I agree with MiRae here.  24 years is a long time, the recipients most likely have abused the organs and the organs themselves are old as well.  I don't think SH wants to get the organs transplanted back to him. 
  • What he wants is DNA from a younger person.  I think he wants the adult cells from the frozen LYS if he thinks of cloning for new organs.  I don't know if he knows this and is being used by Sanyoung.  He's fighting their battles for the wrong cause?
  • I think SY is kept for stem cells harvesting.

1 hour ago, MiAmour said:

If Lee to be turn up as her dad, then it quite similar to Tunnel drama tbvh, which the daughter has a 'younger' dad :sweat_smile:

When SJ was holding the photo of Mirae's  mother he had that flashback and saw the nurse. I actually thought SJ was his father. She said photo was 23 yrs ago?  No to something like that the tunnel like scenario... younger father.  I'm more interested  LSH and his past and stem cell and  taking of organs. Okay fine, I want to see more YSG different emotions. He's' really good.  LSH is fav character, despite his, cold, psycho, sinister actions.

Wait.....ep 8. MR and LSH have confrontation already? They haven't interacted yet  throughout all 7 episodes. I wanna see them  confront each other.

7 hours ago, triplem said:

I have finally caught up with all the episodes. Phew! I wish I could multiply my k-drama watching time.

I need to get my head straight.

1. So SJ and SH are clones of Lee Yong Sub. (Hmmm, this actor is really good - 3 characters at a go) And since the cells came from the man who was  likely in his 30s or so, the organs of SJ and SH have defects and are failing. So it's like they have the body of a 60 year old man. Interesting their skin is still age appropriate (after all skin is the largest human organ) :D. Anyway cloning is still something that the general public has little knowledge of, but here it seems that the clones inherit the memories and possibly personality of the its source apart from the physical stuff.

2. Choi joo Sik and Park Dong Suel were former prisoners who with the help of the organ transplant doc Jin Byung Joon faked their death in exchange for agreeing to be test subjects of some shady experiment (possibly related to cloning / stem cells) that Lee was conducting. But Dr Jin realised that something was off when he saw CJS and PDS tied up & realising this was not the kind of experiment they were suppose to be involved in,  helped them escape and killed Lee and harvested 5 of his organs instead. Park is the recipient of one of the kidneys.

3. I suppose Lee's employer (the one who funds the research ) preserved his body , and the lady who went on to check the body is the daughter of the CEO ...so i suppose these are the Sanyoung Pharmaceutical folks??? So now , i'm so curious to know why they kept his body? Do they plan to resurrect him some how? I know it sounds too creepy and makes no logical sense...but why not eh :wink:? Sci-fi drama after all, lol! Or they keep it because they want to find back those organs and see if matches the body? Why are they pandering to SH's demands for now? 

4. Mi rae's mum was Lee's nurse who aided him in these experiments...Oh my could Lee be her dad...that will be twisted...but anyhow she (mum) obviously had some moral dilemma to whatever she witnessed , hence kept all the information that MR has now or she kept it just in case one day, she'd need it to protect her own life. 

5. Now the million dollar question - why is SH wanting the organs back ?(it looks like Jang did not kill Park and I suppose he has to bring the man back alive.) It's not for revenge alone but it would not make logical sense to have those organs transplanted back into his own body given that those organs would be so old by now? They need those specific parts to clone organs instead? And notice only SH has scars on his body similar to Lee.

Oh my, just as I thought I'm grasping the back stories, it seems I end up with more unanswered questions. Really looking forward to tonight. I hope SH does not die. Little disappointed that Jang decided to leave SH out of his plan to take Park down. But it's understandable I suppose.

1.  Skin cells continually turns over, your skin shed cells everyday.  You look "old" because you have environmental damage from sun, stuffs you put on the skins, carcinogens in air, etc... You also lose fat and collagen over time so you don't look supple and "young".  I am ok with SH and SJ looking young.

2. JBJ did not help those 2 out of the goodness of his heart.  Think he was bought by Sanyoung to sell LYS's cloning techniques and experiments to them.  He needed CJS and PDS's cooperation since they were test subjects too.  I think killing LYS was not planned by Sanyoung, that's why they disappeared and not on good term with Sanyoung.  Sanyoung wanted to track them down to get informations/results of LYS's experiment (they are interested in the recipient's organs).  I don't know if they plan to transplant those organs back into LYS's de-frosted body later on? 

3.  MiRae's mom was the prison hospital's nurse.  The vital records were labeled correctly.  She kept vitals signs of CJS when he was tied down and was a patient.  Don't know if LYS has a romantic relationship with RJS, they could just be colleagues.  A good possibility is that  MiRae's mom was never married.  LYS donated his sperms, embryo was made in vitro with RJS's egg and transplant into her to carry baby to full term.  That would make LSY her dad and SH/SJ step brothers.

4.  I think Sanyoung wants all 5 organ recipients back alive.  I think SH hopes that Sanyoung will help him find a cure by experimenting more on the 5 recipients and LYS.  I also think they are running out of stem cells injections so need people like SY to harvest more. The company is advertising its life saving stem cell injections in order to get more for its own need.

5.  The important thing about embryonic PS is that the stem cells must be harvested a few days after the fertilization.  Harvesting means that you will destroy the embryo, killing the "child".  It's quite something to think about.  Is embryonic PS the same as in vitro fertilization? How do we define an embryo or a life?  Is this murder?

6.  Just saw what @MiAmour posted about LYS injecting something in his arm?  It could be that LYS started out this stem cell investigation out of his own need, having a bad heart and wanted an organ to transplant for himself?

Archived