[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

just woke up and finished back-read 8+ pages....

Chingus, do you even sleep? especially @selenette @aurelly @Chellsee @staygold @millie10468 @Sarang21 and @ucylucy

20 minutes ago, Princi_86 said:

Then how to explain ghosts? Aren't they missing souls as well? 

i think, Ghosts are missing souls for other Grim reapers....

I feel nauseous when i remember the eunuch/teacher/whoever's purple tongue...

i slept when the sub out.... catch u later chingus, watching ep 11 with sub now....

@Hanyeoun Wuaaaahhhhh you're so lucky....

So happy for her.... finally her business is doing well

vlcsnap_2017_01_07_07h41m29s251.pngpic host

• Like 18

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

That's why lady in red is so upset. It is not her duty to give death sentences. Yet I believe, God's intention is not to kill them (bring death to them), but to give them the chance of the afterlife and Heavens. Since it is difficult to go there, the system of reincarnation has been established. But for that, you need to erase the memories from the past with the tea ceremony. Since God is allmighty and knows the past and the future, I believe, that from the start, God knew KS' sad fate and his good disposition. He was well aware that KS was a loving brother and a good man. Then I have come to think that after KS' death, we saw no GR... why? I guess, God knew that the tea ceremony wouldn't be able to erase his resent. Notice that when he was turned into a goblin, the king had just died. Is it a coincidence? No, I don't think so because God knew that KS would go after the King which he did. In his anger, he wanted to kill the king, but on his way there, he met the evil eunuch and killed him. God knew that KS' resent and felt injustice would target the king first. That's why it was important that both didn't meet in the past. However the real villain in this matter was our evil eunuch Park Joong Won and God knew it. Notice that DH has always been close to GR and gave him advices. He even helped him to meet Sunny. Why? If DH is God, then God knew that deep down the king wasn't a bad person per se, but he got brainwashed by the "devil". We shouldn't forget that DH witnessed KS sending the white lantern with WY and KS's names on it. To me, DH was acting as if he didn't know... but he knew and could see that KS had changed. He wasn't thinking so badly of the king any longer. In my opinion, God knew how huge KS' resent was... Moreover, he gave him the power of immortality for two reasons:

-KS should experience what it means to see people die, well aware that there is an afterlife and a reincarnation. KS felt the pain and from my point of view, God wanted him to make him realise that God feels the same way too. It is a heavy burden and he does listen to people, but in a different way. Notice that KS used his powers to help people by listening to their complains... He acted like God as if he even was a better God. If God hadn't loved KS that much, he would have never given him such powers.

As conclusion, our Goblin is very loved by God, but he still doesn't feel that way. Besides, the immortality can't go on forever. He can not compete with God. Eun Tak is there to make him feel like a human, to remind him of his past position: he was a man before becoming a Goblin. We could also observe a change in KS: in the episode 8 and 9, he asked for permission from Heavens to confess his love to Eun Tak. This was important because it pointed out that KS saw himself now inferior to God and was not competing with him any longer. The resent will stop the moment the justice has been truly served:

- evil eunuch who is resenting the Goblin for ruining his plan

- Kim Sun

- King Wang Yeo

- Kim Shin

Loved what you have written about the Red Lady and God's plan. 

For me, I viewed Kim Shin going back to the palace and saying "I'm too late' was not intended to mean that he was going to kill the king but rather to protect the king. He was asked by the previous king (Wang Yeo's brother to protect him) and Kim Shin is the type of noble man who would uphold his promises. 

I agree that there would be a grudge against the king for his order to kill all of Kim Shin's family - even the Queen was not spared - but in those days, to raise your sword against the king was something quite extraordinary. 

The part you wrote about If God hadn't loved KS that much, he would have never given him such powers echoed what Eun Tak said when Dokkaebi was saying that he thought the 900 years punishment was too much. [I don't have the gif at hand] But basically she said that if God had wanted to punish Dokkaebi, God wouldn't have given him the powers and created a bride for him. 

I believe that the last puzzle is the connection between Dokkaebi and Grim. So far Eun Tak knows the truth, Sunny know the truth about Grim and she knows the possibility that she is the reincarnation of Dokkaebi's sister. Now we need Dokkaebi and Grim to know who Grim really is. 

6 hours ago, o--ILuvUKnow--o said:

He saw her through the teacher past life's future, pretty confusing yeah?

The teacher = The lady serving foods in joseon era

while Goblin saw the lady in joseon era he foresee her future as a teacher and there he saw ET

hope it helps :)

So I get this to mean that it was already fated that Dokkaebi would be the one to save Eun Tak's mother and thus saving Eun Tak. Daebak!

• Like 16

49 minutes ago, jeijei said:

A Thai officemate was watching Ep. 11 in the pantry this morning. If you're in this thread, hello~ I'm thinking of a Soompi PH Goblin fans meet-up in Manila. 

And so the villain has shown himself. Last weekend I was wondering who that would be aside from fate itself. The eunuch looks like a malevolent ghost. You know, similar from Arang and Oh My Ghostess. But here, he retains his human form. He must had a strong reason for disliking Shin and his household.

Not fun fact: I found out just last night that I'm the most scaredy-cat moderator in this forum. 

You're a Filipino, chingu? :) 

Mod message: Yes, I am.

• Like 2

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Goblin" Episode 11

photo804741.jpg

Watching "Goblin" is a lot like watching a dream. I don't mean that in a good way. I mean that while the transitions make sense on a scene by scene basis, every time I try to step back and figure out what's happening, I get a little lost trying to figure out how and why the characters got to where they are. The Grim Reaper and Sunny have a more intense relationship now that they don't actually know each other (?), and I'm pretty much with Sunny on how weirdly and inexplicably overbearing the Goblin is this episode.

In all fairness the big overriding theme here is past lives. It's just...I don't know, I think I'm kind of overloaded with supernatural worldbuilding at this point. We're still not all that sure what the Goblin's curse even is, so it's hard to tell whether or not Sunny's spiritual history is actually relevant to the plot or whether it's just another excuse to make jokes about how none of the characters in this drama have any apparent social skills.

I am somewhat intrigued by the ability of Gong Yoo and Kim Go-eun-I to make their inherently creepy relationship seem kind of wholesome. But for every point "Goblin" wins when it comes to unexpectedly good chemistry, it loses some with bizarre plot hooks like Eun-tak discovering the additional incentive to solve the Goblin's curse, then running out almost immediately to do something reckless and dangerous for no good reason.

All right, all right, technically that wasn't Eun-tak's fault and she is an idiot teenager after all. But then, it feels like I make an awful lot of excuses for "Goblin". Half the cast in "Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo" is made up of idiot teenagers, yet they come off as charming and likable because their actions have an approporiate sense of scale. On a regular basis, Eun-tak gambles with her own life never learning from past experience.

Once more "Goblin" is less explicitly bad as it is so bizarre as to be difficult to criticize. Take Sunny's restaurant, which apparently has a second floor (?) and also has busy hours when the whole joke before was that the place was always abandoned. "Goblin" makes sense as long as I don't try to put it in proper perspective. I mean really, those Goryeo scenes are pretty slick, even if they're mostly irrelevant. But that irrelevance factor, that's what gnaws at me.

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-goblin-episode-11-102209.html

• Like 7

Did anyone think that the cliffhanger would be the scene where Sunny discovers Grim's identity? *hands up!*

I was surprised the episode kept going until the purplish lip/tongue guy. *Now that was an intense cliff hanger*

About the future -  I am intensely curious about the letter that Eun Tak wrote in Quebec. She popped it into the mailbox with no address or addressee, so I assume it will go to the CEO of the hotel (and I assume that the CEO is Kim Shin). So far the writer has been awesome in drawing the threads from here and there together so I believe that this thread (letter) is significant too. 

• Like 19

18 hours ago, selenette said:

@winterdew and @Princi_86 I always think that somehow there will be repercussions from the Grim Reaper's supernatural power abuse. Maybe he will lose his supernatural powers gradually or abruptly. Not to mention that since Sunny is probably his soulmate-slash-punishment, she could easily be developing some resistance against his powers. 

@selenette I am thinking the same. Since Sunny had sense of de ja vu, maybe uri Grim Reaper is loosing his power or she as his fate has some sort of resistance. So maybe she will not be affected by his compelling this time. I really hope so.our lovely ansty Pich couple.

ezgif_com_video_to_gif_37.gif

• Like 7

Just now, NRGchick said:

Did anyone think that the cliffhanger would be the scene where Sunny discovers Grim's identity? *hands up!*

I was surprised the episode kept going until the purplish lip/tongue guy. *Now that was an intense cliff hanger*

ME!!!!

54SgbG0.gif

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, naritul said:

just woke up and finished back-read 8+ pages..

Are you talking bout me?? Lol...

By the preview when evil ghost said "aren't you curious about who you are?", do you think he was talking with ET? I want to know more about ET's past life.

• Like 2

Hey, @romanov

Did you want me to explain the “Orabeoni”? I think the word “orabeoni” functions like a sword to him. 

There’s an English idiom that relates to this: a double-edged sword. Double-edged means to possess two contradictory nature. Like Yin-Yang, and black-and-white.  

You see, actual swords have either one sharp edge (the other side is dull, so it can’t cut) or two sharp edges. A samurai’s sword is a single-edge sword.  But Shin’s sword on the battlefield was a double-edged sword. He could swing it both ways and attack from either left or right of him. The double-edged sword is harder to manipulate and require greater skill to use. Why? Because if you’re not careful or strong enough to wield the sword, you can accidentally cut your own neck as you swing the sword back. Lol. 

Shin’s sword was given to him by the King. It was a literal/actual and a metaphorical doubled-edged sword. It was meant to recognize and give him honor as a mighty warrior. But it also signified his new "persona non grata" status with the king. He was no longer welcome to be at the King's presence, and he was prohibited from ever returning back to Goryeo. Despite being lauded as a mighty warrior in service of the King, he was an outcast.  

Likewise, the sword given to Shin by the gods is also a double-edge sword. His people had saved him so he could live again, but the gods gave him the sword both as a blessing and a punishment.  We can't escape the relevance and symbolism of the sword in this kdrama. 

Now, that you have the background story on the meaning, why is the word “orabeoni” like a double-edge sword?  

First, because like a sword that stabs, hearing the word “orabeoni” transfixed him. It jarred his attention that he stood there motionless for a second, wondering what was going on. The word orabeoni “stabbed” him – kinda like when ET playfully asked him at the causeway in Episode 3, if his guilt was “stabbing” him. (Remember that?)  To him, orabeoni was a PROVOCATIVE word which triggered a reaction from him because it was directly linked to his only younger sister. 

In the same/different way, the word "chocolate" would evoke warm feelings of winter nights, cozy blankets, marshmallows, and Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek for me, orabeoni would evoke warm but painful memories for him, because the last time he saw his sister, she was dying. And he was dying, too, by the sword. 

Second, the usage of the “orabeoni” was double-edged.  Didn’t you hear it? :)

I don’t speak Korean but I know that orabeoni is a formal word for “oppa”.  People told me that when you want to call a male person’s attention, you can either say “oppa” or “ahjussi”. The sexy Lady in Red called the Reaper “Oppa” at the bridge encounter. You can also use the neutral “cheogiyo” or “excuse me” to catch the attention of somebody. 

When Sunny called out “orabeoni”, it was such an unnecessary formality, that it gave him pause. (Remember: it was a “trigger word” for him.)

But listen to what Sunny asked him next: “Why are you staring at my store like that? Where you, by any chance, looking for a part-time job?”  

Do you HEAR the contradiction? :phew:  There she was, using a highly formalized form of  “big brother”, but what was actually coming out of her mouth was INSULTING. 

It’s like calling out to a stranger with an even voice, “Excuse me, Sir,” then in the next second, questioning him boldly: “What are you looking at? Do you want to come work for me for $5 an hour?”

Lol.  It’s rude to accost a stranger with “What are you looking at?” Or “Why are you staring?” The standard opening should have been more gracious, like this:  “May I help you with something?” Or solicitous:  “The shop's close right now. Would you like to come back later?”  

On top of that, Sunny was also being presumptuous when she offered Shin a menial job. For us, here in the US, it’s equivalent to asking somebody you just met outside of a Chinese restaurant, "Hey do you want to work as a busboy inside?"  Like, huh?  :blink:

See the contradiction now?  Although the WORD “orabeoni” was meant to show respect, her following SENTENCES didn't match. To me, personally, I found her condescending. 

Spoiler

(And if random stranger talked to me that way on the street, I'd probably nod my head, and agree, "Yes, excuse YOU." then leave. hahaha.)

That's why, instead of warming up to her, Shin bristled.   

True: Shin became upset whenever he heard DH speaking banmal to him. But that didn’t mean he was tone-deaf to rudeness whenever an honorific term like orabeoni was used. 

It didn’t enter Shin’s mind that Sunny could be his sister. His sister was a cherished girl who always looked up to her oraboni.  Not this blunt speaking woman. It was only the Reaper’s DISTORTED VISION that made him rethink HIS original -- and I must say, correct -- appraisal of Sunny. Left on his own, he would have never considered Sunny as his sister in a thousand years, because Reaper's personality felt more right and familiar to him. 

As I posted after Episode 9, the critical prop here is the ring. The Reaper should touch Sunny’s hand when she ISN’T wearing the ring to get HER REAL IDENTITY.  The Reaper obtained a FALSE READING because the ring (according to the fortune teller) transferred all the “grudge, sin, loneliness,” of the original ring owner to the current wearer, Sunny.

Then the writer teased us in Episode 10. The Reaper wanted to hold hands – and she wasn’t wearing the ring then -- but they didn’t because Sunny wanted to get to know him first before skinship.  Missed opportunity right there, and I expect that this writer will drag it out.  

The scriptwriter may be slaying people with her doubled-edged mindgames but we should be able to recognize her tricks….

Spoiler

My original post for reference:

Tagging:

@phikyl @kokodus @salz @bebe1989 @hushhh @LyraYoo @annnchan @maryofbethany@naritul @staygold@Athenaries@gutibear@nearsea @vivvianne22@letataves @crazyoverkdrama @sakurayukihime @dramoron

@rnia93 Yah! What's up with this formal -->"I'm honored" to be tagged???? :blink: I thought you wanted to marry one of my sons so I can be your mother-in-law?  hahaha. We're practically virtually family. 

• Like 24

7 hours ago, Puppywookie said:

I just saw a subs of the preview of the next episode, the part where the GR eyes are full of tears, he is saying to sunny 2 simple words, "forget me", and she really will as he is the GR and that is one of the saddest scenes I have ever scene in a romance. That means she will not remember a single thing about him at all and all their happy memories will be erased from her memory. It also means he sacrificed for her, he will take all the burdens of their memories for the rest of his long life while she can be happy without him. I feel so heartbroken. Even if the writer wants a sad ending for Wang sun, this is really heartbreaking.

Nooooooo!!!!! I just saw the subbed IG cut of the part where she discovers who he is..and when he asked if they should break up..I was already bawling...please writer-nim...don't do this...it's  not fair to Sunny. For me no matter what bad / tragic memories I have, I won't want them erased. That's my life. It makes me who I am. Ahhh GR...you can't do this again. Sob

6 hours ago, nearsea said:

Wow that makes sense. I remember jokingly making a post on DB that the photoshopping looks bad and DH is looking like he's floating above, then later came to the original picture and he was sitting on the edge of the sofa for real. So, this has to be intentional. So the posters are important after all. I remember the significance of Reply'88's title page too :S.

@nearsea (hello!) and @ShinRaeMi (Hello, fellow Healerite!) I think @staygold pointed out the same thing about Deok-hwa's place in the poster. He looks more posh and dignified in it,  and he stares up. At first I thought it was because he has no loveline and will not be involved in the romances.

• Like 6

The creepy scholar's return is not only for show, he brings hell with him. Kim Shin was warned by Red Lady there will be one incident where he "can't" or "won't be able" to save ET. I'm not surprise if we'll see it happen with that creeper. Forget accidents, we've seen it happened and KS was able to save ET. That preview showing ET cowering in a room doesn't sit well with me. I hope she will tell KS abt that creeper.

Today's episode shows how close ET was to dying when she helped that ghost. I'm afraid...really afraid...that the next time she is close to danger, KS might be tad late. Thus something happen and that will result to altering ET's memory (as per 29yo ET's convo with Sunny). 

Facts: Gong Yoo listens to Honne's songs when he goes for a drive at night or spending his time at home with his cat. In case there are Honne fans in this thread. (source: articles online) 

• Like 18

8 hours ago, cristapark said:

I was expecting the hugging scene even just a peck on the lips ...since ET raise her head and KS bow his.. Ha hahahah maybe the writer will put it at the last part

I think so too. It's her style. I can't remember  but I think in DOTS there was only two long kisses for OTP right, one on the truck and the other at the end on the island...

I guess for the writer, less is more..lol!