[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

14 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@selenette @Sarang21 Since it was on the king's order that the Queen got killed, the king couldn't show his pain in public. If he had cried in public, he would have tarnished his reputation. Moreover, he couldn't even attend her funeral as well. That's why he painted her over and over again, he had to do it in private, in secrecy, since if it had been known, people would have seen him as a weak king. He was grieving, but he could only do it without any witness, especially because he kept the evil minister by his side.

Yes I totally agreed with you. from the flashbacks we saw that the king was in love with her, even before she became his queen. So even though the manipulations and his jealousy had led him to kill her, I think that after he had calmed down and got time to think about it, he would have greaved for he has lost the woman that he love. And like you said since, he couldn`t show it in public therefore he would have done it in in secret by painting her pictures. 

Another point that I have found..I don`t know if it might be a strech but here it goes. In the few paintings of the queen that we saw she was smilling. GR told sunny that he is mesmerized by her smile. So another indication that sunny is the queen? What do you think about that?

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

Yes I totally agreed with you. from the flashbacks we saw that the king was in love with her, even before she became his queen. So even though the manipulations and his jealousy had led him to kill her, I think that after he had calmed down and got time to think about it, he would have greaved for he has lost the woman that he love. And like you said since, he couldn`t show it in public therefore he would have done it in in secret by painting her pictures. 

Another point that I have found..I don`t know if it might be a strech but here it goes. In the few paintings of the queen that we saw she was smilling. GR told sunny that he is mesmerized by her smile. So another indication that sunny is the queen? What do you think about that?

Yes, I agree with you. the smile is another clue for me as well. So far, GR has never been seen smiling, Sunny likes GR for his odd behaviour which she finds cute.

By the way, I would like to point out that a mirror was also used, just before GR met Sunny. The lady in red used it to blind him for a few second. It was as if she wanted him to see Sunny and life in a new light, the start of a new life as GR. On the other hand, she might have had another purpose: it was also as if she wanted to connect him to his past  through the mirrortoo. Just after that, he saw the ring and had tears. Like I mentioned it before, a mirror could be seen as a window to the past, where the memories are.   

• Like 17

13 hours ago, ucylucy said:

@hallee It's a word play that gets lost in translation if you don't watch it with Viki subtitle. In that scene, Eun Tak gets mad at Kim Shin because she thought he was going to ask her about her "first kiss" but he said the "first snow" instead. He ends up needling her when she ask him not to say anything that involves the letters "ch" in Korean ("first" starts with "ch").

This is the translation from Viki.

Eun Tak: Don't talk about anything that involves the letters "ch" (the first letters of the Korean words for "first kiss" and "first snow')

Kim Shin: Hey, you got that first question wrong. ("first question" also starts with "ch")

Eun Tak: Don't do that!

Kim Shin: Aren't you hungry? ("hungry" also starts with "ch")

Eun Tak: Don do that!

Kim Shin: Why do we hear so much traffic noise when you are trying to study? ("traffic noise" also starts with "ch")

Kim Shin: Is the bed comfortable enough? ("bed" starts with "ch")

Eun Tak glares at Kim Shin while he smirks at her. End scene.

So it's just Kim Shin being his usual petty self because Eun Tak shot him down at discussing their first snow/kiss. Or just Kim Shin needling her to get her attention in his usual way. 

Hide contents

I highly recommend that you watch Goblin with Viki subtitle if possible. Goblin uses a lot of word play that gets lost in translation with VIU and Dramafever subtitles. You miss the subtle and deeper meaning behind their conversations.

I usually watch dramas on Viki but for some reason it keeps saying Goblin is not available in my region so I'm forced to watch it somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can watch it on Viki?? 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

I usually watch dramas on Viki but for some reason it keeps saying Goblin is not available in my region so I'm forced to watch it somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can watch it on Viki?? 

@mouse007 

Spoiler

As far as i know, I don't think none of the streaming sites have Viki - they probably have VIU since it's the fastest sub available after the episodes aired. Viki is not available in my country too for Goblin. I don't stream my kdramas though. I usually download them and get the subtitles from subscene.com.  All the different subtitles are available there. Sorry I can't help you out.

• Like 5

Book sales jump as Guardian's popularity soars

By Park Jin-hai

The continued popularity of tvN's fantasy-romance drama, "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God," is pushing books featured in the show onto the best-seller list.

Gong Yoo, who plays an immortal goblin, reads the book "The Stars Might Take Your Pain Away" to his human bride, played by Kim Go-eun.

In the scene, Gong looks at Kim from across the street, who gives him a big smile, and he thinks of one of the poems and begins to recite it.

"The size of a mass is not proportional to its volume

That little girl as small as a violet

That little girl that flutters like a flower petal

Pulls me with a mass greater than the Earth," he said.

"Writer Kim Eun-sook is a book lover," an official of the drama production company Hwa & Dam Pictures said. "She takes inspiration from books and uses those books as part of the drama material. The book used in ‘Guardian' is also handpicked by the writer and included in the script."

"The Stars Might Take Your Pain Away" is a compilation of 101 poems selected by renowned Korean poet Kim Yong-taek that includes Kim In-yook's poem "The Physics of Love." As soon as the drama's fourth episode aired on Dec. 10, the book gained renewed attention.

In Kim's dramas, books are used as a motive or hint for the following story, industry sources say. In SBS fantasy "Secret Garden (2011)," "Alice in Wonderland" was effectively used to tell of the emotional changes between the lead actor and actress. "The Great Gatsby" was used in the SBS romance "The Heirs (2013)" to signal the difficult romance between the poor girl and the rich man.

Although many other product placements (PPL) used in TV shows make viewers raise their eyebrows, the book in "Guardian" has been used efficiently as PPL.

In the first week between Dec. 7 and Dec. 13, the book reached the top five in overall sector sales, and it topped the best-selling book list in the following week. Poet Kim In-yook republished his book with the new title of "The Physics of Love."

"With the drama's production company, we have made a PPL contract," said an official of Wisdom House, publisher of "The Stars Might Take Your Pain Away."

Although the exact price for the PPL is unknown, industry insiders say it may reach 200 million to 300 million won.

"Nowadays, book PPL is recognized as a common thing," an industry insider said. "Major publishing companies actively use it in marketing. If it is well used, as in the case of the drama ‘Guardian,' I think it works positively, injecting new vitality to the waning local publishing industry."

AWESOME!!!

• Like 17

1 hour ago, tianaa said:

text preview ep 9

GR:what do you mean Why would  she will die?

KS: what with us ,How can a goblin and Grim reaper  couldn’t make her alive?

ET:If you  appear infront of my eyes again I might gonna kill you

KS: so I will find her, I will  find out what fate God really arranged for us

ET:   ILOVE YOU

this is how i feel after watching the preview

I LOVE YOU...SO SAD...I HOPE HE WILL FIND HER SOON...SEEMS SHE LEFT GOBLIN HOUSE AND FAINTED

• Like 8

Hi, Immortals. I've heard sad rumor from my Korean friends who also follow Goblin, that Saturday's episode will be cancelled and instead we will have special. They're got this info from some forums. I really hope that it's not true. :(

In the meantime here is another making of Wookie and Gong Yoo. It's so funny, someone should make a mem. At lest second Wookie is blowing on fire. Then Goblin should appear after that :sweatingbullets: 

• Like 12

Yoo In Na and Lee Dong Wook cutely complain about the cold weather while filming 'Goblin'

Yoo-In-Na,lee-dong-wook

'Goblin' is taking you behind the scenes of the ninth episode with a making film!

On December 28, the drama released a short clip of actors Lee Dong Wook and Yoo In Na filming outdoors and struggling because of the cold. Instead of looking downtrodden and miserable, though, they are cute, shouting with aegyo, "It's cold!" and more, but immediately becoming professional again when the cameras are rolling.

Lee Dong Wook also says when discovering the behind-the-scenes camera, "All of the viewers who love 'Goblin,' it's too cold.  However, I will work hard.  My habit of becoming awkward in front of the camera... I don't know how I'm able to act."

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/12/yoo-in-na-and-lee-dong-wook-cutely-complain-about-the-cold-weather-while-filming-goblin

• Like 17

darn it whatever Kim Eun Sook touches is becoming gold.. her Secret Garden drama was basically my life savior from the merciless boredom and utter coldness in the country where I live (where you can walk on the river since it is frozen in winter and wearing 6 layers of clothes) 

even that book is sold out like doughnuts!

I love her punctual details and her ability to swing our emotion and feeling.. I believe that she will eventually give us a happy ending so lemme just drawn my self in the pool of tears... sorrow.. sadness and misery that she creates.. before enjoying the floating moment of happiness in the end.. 

• Like 13

23 hours ago, gamshe said:

@Princi_86 yes i did it myself ^^ and I agree that they need more scenes...and more cinematographicly pretty scenes...that bridge scene is the only one in terms of it. :((( they are always sitting in a cafe or just walking for 10 seconds and that's it ahhh i am in need of yoo inna my queen ㅠㅠㅠ

@gamshe I understand you. Of course it will be so awesome if we had more cinimatographicly pretty scenes. But honestly, I'm absolutely ok even with their Dalkomm or night scenes. They are filmed greatly. And what I value in this couple is that when they're together everything is sparkling around. Bow to the actors. And this deapth overlays for me all cinematography. I mean I prefer just to have more scenes of them. And I'm ok with both cute and angsty ones. Just look at them. Nothing special around them but emotions on their faces are just wow! 

4Ne5m2C3LoE.jpg

Again to WangSun, @gamshe you have yoused lirycs from "Who are you" song and I agree with you that it's suitable for WangSun couple's storyline.  Korean fans has made videos for WangSun as well on this song but it's on Facebook and Idk how to post it here :(( I haven't found it on Youtube.

Have seen this on Twitter. It's so funny. Koreans ship them so badly.:sweatingbullets:

pFaqTODPW2g.jpg

@lividc thanks for sharing fancam! I hope actors will not catch cold and will stay healthy! I guess you know Chinese? It's great if you will bring us some news from Weibo or Baidu since as far as I know Chinese are great in stalking drama sets. hehe

• Like 20

13 minutes ago, theagassi said:

is the queen really little sister of Kim shin!
i think there is love between Kim shin & queen.
in palace scene EP1.
the king was very angry about what the queen said to Kim shin more then his power as a warrior.

Sorry for my bad English :(

@theagassi I don't think Kim Shin has something with Queen (his sister). His first love is Eun Tak

• Like 13