[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Remember in episode 1 when KS went back to the Palace and killed evil eunuch and after that we saw he stood in front of King’s dead body and he said something like ‘I am too late’?

Well, what if what he meant by he was too late is he was too late in saving the King’s life. What if, evil eunuch killed the King? Maybe that is why KS feels debt towards his sister Kim Sun (killed because of him) and the King Wang Yeo (failed in protecting the King). Something missing with this theory though as to why would KS feels debt to someone who killed his family.

• Like 13

Good morning y'all :) I'm back to ask you this one question in my mind. I don't know if somebody ever ask about it or not.

The song played in the scene when KS appeared in front of a man who want to suicide by hanging himself to a rope? Anyone of you knows what song is that? It also the opening song of the drama, but depends on the site where you stream it. That song got me stunned, i just love how sorrowful it sounds. Anyone? *fingercrossed*

Oh i love Sam Kim song too.. it sounds mysterious and sad.. i love his voice! :thumbsup: 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, gutibear said:

Remember in episode 1 when KS went back to the Palace and killed evil eunuch and after that we saw he stood in front of King’s dead body and he said something like ‘I am too late’?

Well, what if what he meant by he was too late is he was too late in saving the King’s life. What if, evil eunuch killed the King? Maybe that is why KS feels debt towards his sister Kim Sun (killed because of him) and the King Wang Yeo (failed in protecting the King). Something missing with this theory though as to why would KS feels debt to someone who killed his family.

Oh, I missed that! Good point! Maybe he knows that there was a plot against the king, that is why despite the fact that he was killed on the king's command, he still sent up a prayer lantern for his sister and the king.  He was not going there to kill him, but to actually save him.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, CapriGirl13 said:

Good morning y'all :) I'm back to ask you this one question in my mind. I don't know if somebody ever ask about it or not.

The song played in the scene when KS appeared in front of a man who want to suicide by hanging himself to a rope? Anyone of you knows what song is that? It also the opening song of the drama, but depends on the site where you stream it. That song got me stunned, i just love how sorrowful it sounds. Anyone? *fingercrossed*

Oh i love Sam Kim song too.. it sounds mysterious and sad.. i love his voice! :thumbsup: 

the song hasn't been released yet I think. And if I'm not mistaken, it's an English song, it has Within temptation' vibes 

• Like 5

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in Goblin's thread, although this is not my first day here :)

It's fun to read each thoughts and analysis from everyone!

And forgive me if this is already been posted, 

This amazed me that the sword is actually attached to Shin's chest :D

Edit from LDW official

Edited by dewh13
  • Like 17

I'm thankful for the post on Grim Reapers, @crazyoverkdrama, although I can't say whether I will be happy with blissful forgetfulness for the characters, because their memories are parts of who they are. It is rather sad to think that these Grim Reapers are basically factory reset products. They are even renamed as Kim Saja, every single one of them. They are robbed of individuality.

And I want the characters, including Sunny and anyone else to face the pain head on, while still remembering the good things and then moving on to build a better future. 

As much as they'd like the past not to exist, it still does. 

Also, dear @maryofbethany, another great post. I'm not particularly religious, not to mention I have never read Pilgrim's Progress at all, so it's difficult for me to keep up with your detailed explanations. But I have read Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace and in it, the concept of "tribulations that lead towards happiness" is alluded, too, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.

However, because of the show's onset Grecian portrayal of the gods (that they are capricious, volatile, etc etc), I'm more inclined to believe that the gods of the show are distant kinsfolk of Greek gods and goddesess. The jealous, self-satisfied beings who are constantly in need of interventions from the wiser lesser gods and mortals. 

I apologize for any offense in this post, if there is any, it is unintentional.

Edited by selenette
Emphasis
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Visually-wandering said:

LOL. I think we will get summer and spring on winter. Snow melting, the sun shining so bright and the colorful butterflies surrounding them. Ah must be a big news updates on strange weather happen .

I havent thought about the nature responding KS ET passionate kiss ,it will be so funny seeing the breaking news all about sudden weather anomaly. :sweatingbullets:

And about goblin innocence on physical romance ,i find it hard to believe a man of 938/9 immortal never had any encounter with female all this time,so boring a life must be,and what a great discipline he had :w00t:. Its so much more believeable,if he's good with women its just that finally he found the the real love through eun tak.

If i'm god i'll forgive him,he's doing enough to repent his sin, controlling his lust and doing good deeds for 938 year eventhough he has all the power and money :glasses: man thats hard living goblin has :grin: 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Visually-wandering said:

I think he will get Reference on how to kiss from his library. Hundreds might be thousands of books collection, I'm sure there are some books about romance. Or may be he can ask Grim Reaper for a reference from dramas? Since our GR IS an avid kdrama lover, who knows GR will recommended him to watch  *cough* Coffee Prince *cough* kisses.

@Visually-wandering @chibimidori  @LanA

hmm.... really hope he has a deep kiss with ET, not so much of us getting our kicks and our imagnations to run wild thru witnessing the Legendary GongYoo's Coffeeprince's kiss. But not just as gongyoo, but as Kim shin himself, did not he deserved an experience, which he abstained himself from, even when he did enjoy some Kpop girl-band groups dancing... i guess he never come across his mind to be indulging in some dating, lest even to fall deep into a true love relationship, knowing he has a bride to look for, and this bride has nothing to do with any affections...
loved his slow journey since ep1, from the very first trace of surprise in his face when ET said the very "business-like' "I Love You' at end of ep1, i loved to see that journey of his heart as he opened a little by little... until the Maple leaf "my First Love" saga. to someone as sensitive as himself, to be kept from falling in love, to be restraining himself, is a torture.

loved to see how much it will gratify him in experiencing a deep 'all-in' first deep kiss. i want to see he'll be shakened, stirred and 'transformed'... or even teared by experiencing that kiss. normally the usual Kdrama will churn out a light kiss, some peck on lip like that ep6's buckwheat field's "cursed Prince-kiss". No, Kim Shin deserved more than that.
some recappers or fans, still couldnt accept the identity of a "high-schooler / ahjusshi" love even by this date. I actually know some of these who wrote against this relationship well, that they are not real-haters against KGE. But i beg to disagree, that they have no chemistry.

Just looked at ep7, when Euntak told him that if he were to leave one day upon finding the real bride, she couldnt even bother to hide her pain, near tears almost pleading that he should just leave without letting her know.... else she couldnt take it. KS was gazing deep into her, taking in every bits of confession, every ounce of pains and hurts she emoted regarding not being the actual Bride, and that he might be waiting for some other girls... its more than jealousy, its not even protesting against this "irony and fate' that her status of being the predestinated bride . its obviously pained her to imagine another will walk off into the sunset with him... all these inward tears she flow inwardly, KS took in very drop of it... i loved how he calmly watched her, silently, almost like enjoyed and indulged in that moment of disccovery of what he has suspected all along, but not proven.... that she did felt for him ardently.

no chemistry? between Gongyoo and GoEun? or not right between KS and ET? say who? hmmm... i can write a research paper over this... in fact, reading from the many writings of our "brides' or Immortals" here @ this thread, many can defend KS and ET
legitimate relationship, and GY and GE's chemistry well.

Thanks to you, GongYoo, GoEun, Dongwook, InNa, you make this 400pages possible, congratulations to Goblin-crews/casts.

• Like 21

One question though guys, could Kim Shin see the sword by himself??

CJC8FHv.jpg

I think on episode 2, this man actually trying to stab killing himself with a real sword since he could grab it with his hand. After he met Euntak, the pain comes whenever he was at the happiest. Like the pain came after his second trip to Quebec with Euntak and the other one was at the end of episode 7 when they were walking after Euntak's part time job. Anyway, I'm still really hoping that we would get 2 new episodes this week. Fingercrossed!!

• Like 13

I have watched ep 3 and realized that God made a special team for searching the missing soul. At first WY wont tell his friends that he has two missing soul, as his list revealed, his eyes looked sad. 

I wish writer nim would make fight scene betwen WY and that special team, and wy must be in dilemma. :tears:

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ogrenji said:

I havent thought about the nature responding KS ET passionate kiss ,it will be so funny seeing the breaking news all about sudden weather anomaly. :sweatingbullets:

And about goblin innocence on physical romance ,i find it hard to believe a man of 938/9 immortal never had any encounter with female all this time,so boring a life must be,and what a great discipline he had :w00t:. Its so much more believeable,if he's good with women its just that finally he found the the real love through eun tak.

If i'm god i'll forgive him,he's doing enough to repent his sin, controlling his lust and doing good deeds for 938 year eventhough he has all the power and money :glasses: man thats hard living goblin has :grin: 

ikr... i was thinking the same for quite some time.. what a great goblin we have here.. and it's 938 years of fighting his own desire.. :grin:.. not too mention, he's good looking... he's charming with loads of cash...

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, vivvianne22 said:

One question though guys, could Kim Shin see the sword by himself??

I think on episode 2, this man actually trying to stab killing himself with a real sword since he could grab it with his hand. After he met Euntak, the pain comes whenever he was at the happiest. Like the pain came after his second trip to Quebec with Euntak and the other one was at the end of episode 7 when they were walking after Euntak's part time job. Anyway, I'm still really hoping that we would get 2 new episodes this week. Fingercrossed!!

@vivvianne22  Imho he could see it all the time. And that scene was so dark, and dramatic, it succeeded in making the audience sympathize with the Goblin. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, selenette said:

@crazyoverkdrama

Also, dear @maryofbethany, another great post. I'm not a christian and not particularly religious, not to mention I have never read Pilgrim's Progress at all, so it's difficult for me to keep up with your detailed explanations. But I have read Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace and in it, the concept of "tribulations that lead towards happiness" is alluded, too, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.

However, because of the show's onset Grecian portrayal of the gods (that they are capricious, volatile, etc etc), I'm more inclined to believe that the gods of the show are distant kinsfolk of Greek gods and goddesess. The jealous, self-satisfied beings who are constantly in need of interventions from the wiser lesser gods and mortals. 

I apologize for any offense in this post, if there is any, it is unintentional.

@selenette haha. need not be, don't apologize. normally i keep my biblical discourse away from kdrama, knowing i need to respect other fans of other religions. just that this drama kept touching on this topic, i itched to share, as some talks going on in the nature of which deity that KES has in mind....
in light of ep 1-4, the show's characters seems to think that they are just tools in the hands of the cruel, indifference, egoistic Grecian-like Titans..... but i just hope KES reveal some hidden cards at the end, to show forth a more gracious God.
Just for KimShin, and WangYao's sake. we loved them to pieces, don't want them to remain in immortality, just give them mortal lives beside their love ones, and aged and died together, buried in Quebec...
Reasons why we kept coming back to Kdrama land to swoon, partly also because at least in this 'kingdom', writernims and producers still believe in "One-true-love', with themes of "God rewards and punish rightly" .... At least in kdrama land , we don't celebrate "art-house-movies" so much that, we applause sad-ending: justify villain be rewarded, and protagonists dies. In many hollywood movies, sad endings are common, from adultery to broken marriage hinting non-existence of 'true-love' is fine, villains wins most of the times as everyone died by credit ends, and 'deities" are selfish and evils and devils has better power over deites.... no matter how many Academy Awards such movies receive, i find no comfort in such movies.
I still preferred a good Kdrama, which give me hope in 'true-love-possible', and thrill me good with chivalry knights, make me cry over characters, and argue with shippers over your ship or my ship will sail... but back again believing "true-love" does prevail, and God is gracious and understand us. thus far, Kdrama-land still celebrate that. no matter how far Goblin spin, hope it will stil come back to this values and satisfaction.

Kim Eunsook, make us believe again and hope again, don't play the sad ending card. Bring out a gracious God for KS and WS please. (at least not this drama. play with other dramas.. whatever cruel deites... not with KS and WS).

• Like 11

6 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Anyway, what were you asking again? Ah! Fate versus destiny. 

I’ve written about this in other threads, so if some old-timers/posters have read this before, forgive me. I find that many people interchange fate and destiny as if they were one and the same. But in the classical Western world, there’s a subtle difference. Since you aren’t enrolled in a philosophy class, @nearsea, and I’m not a professor -- as you very well know -- I’ll keep it simple. 

Fate is something you have NO control over; you cannot change it; and it’s pre-set (or already determined) for you. It’s been given to you and it shapes who you are. It could be the family, physical abilities, or economic status you were born with or your country or your race.

On the other hand, destiny is what you do with this fate given to you. You have CONTROL over your destiny. You can change it.  You can alter it. You can mold it. You can even create it. The big difference between fate and destiny is CHOICE. You have a FREE WILL to choose what to make of your own destiny.

From the Western perspective then, fate is usually linked to resignation or passive acceptance, and the connotation is usually negative. That’s why we have words like fatal, ill-fated, fatalism and fatalistic. There’s a sense of being mortal, limited, disastrous, and deathly. For instance, “The rebels were fated to die in battle” or “He was fated to live in abject poverty.” There’s a sense of INABILITY to fight against the restraints and impositions on you, so you resign or accept your future as inevitable. 

...which is different from destiny. 

With destiny, there’s a sense of hope, of triumphing over adversities, of fighting against your limitations and of doing your best. That’s why we usually hear, “He’s destined for greatness” and NOT “He’s destined to become a loser.”  A presidential candidate can feel that he’s DESTINED to win the elections, but never he’s “fated to win” the election, because "fate" doesn't graciously and magically bestow elections on anybody.  A candidate actually has to work to win it.

Do see the difference?  With destiny, there’s a sense of defiance and resistance: you’re not giving in to what was predetermined for you. No matter what happens, you make your own choices. 

That is what I mean by I don’t believe in fate. I control my own fate. The predictors of my fate like horoscopes, palm-reading, fortunetelling, astrology, numerology, do NOT influence my decisions and actions. I carve out my own destiny. 

Now, how does this fate/destiny apply to our kdrama? 

It’s simple really.  There are two characters in the kdrama who behave like fate and destiny. Do you know who they are? :phew:

Think about it for a second. Then go ahead and click on the spoiler to read what I think

Reveal hidden contents

Uh-uh. No cheating now.  Don't peek until you've made your own guess. 

Reveal hidden contents

Done?

I said earlier that kdrama has a yin-yang theme. But it’s not just an ET/Goblin yin-yang, but also a Reaper/Goblin yin-yang.

The Reaper can see the past, but he himself has no past. Meanwhile, the Goblin can see the future, but he himself has no future. 

But the Reaper also acts like fate in the show: he follows rules. For example, there’s a list of dead people that he needs to “collect” and help to transition over to the afterlife. He can’t deviate from the list. And he doesn’t allow those people to escape death either. He can’t take away the young ET however because her name isn’t included in the list of the dead. But in Episode 6, he tells her that there’s order in this life, and in her 9th, 19th, 29th year of life, a Reaper will appear before her, because “that is the FATE of a missing person.”  The Reaper is inevitable, inescapable. He does not diverge from the preordained course of actions.  He's death for ET while the Goblin gave ET life. 

The Goblin, on the other hand, acts like destiny. Sure, he can see the future, but he gives people the choice to break from the cycle, or do a course correction and move on to a different path. This is plain from the start when he rescues the young boy from an abusive stepfather. In Episode 4, he explains to the boy that the boy solved the math problem well, even though his answer did not correspond the answer Shin had given him. “Your choice alone is the answer to your life.” 

Note: This also heralds why ET is destined to make her own choice regardless of what the gods has fated for her. When given the right answers to the tests, both the boy and ET eschewed the “right answers” and decided to follow their own paths

As a matter of fact, Goblin disrupts the order that the Reaper wants in life. The old grandpa mentions this when he says that it's a good thing that Goblin exists because through him, some people can be given a strange and fortunate fortune, a miracle. And miracles, as we see in Episode 8, are something contrary to reapers' rule of order. 

There are other examples to show how the Reaper and Goblin behave like fate and destiny. But I have to stop now and entertain our house guests. We’re skating tonight and I need to look for my LUCKY (hahaha) pink skates and kneepads to protect my bum knee. 

I’m sure you and @maryofbethany, @romanov, @salz, @ariesw, @gutibear, @letataves (hello, newbie!) and the other ladies, can spot the other examples of fate and destiny in the kdrama. :)

@phikyl, who was @LyraYoo shamelessly tagging? Me? Hahaha. I think our lyrayoo discovered the power of tagging. Tagging me @LyraYoo is similar to ET summoning Shin by blowing on the candles.  It’s a “couple” thing.  (Don't you love it when he popped up behind her after she blew the candle on her ice cream cake, and they exchanged glances? His was wry; hers was happy. And he tried to brush it off coolly in front of the guys, like "Hey, you wouldn't understand because it's a couple thing!")  

Hmmmm… will have to post soon about that BALL FAKE the writer did on the Reaper/Sunny thing. I almost fell for it, too, myself, if it weren’t for that "Liar’s Paradox" at the end….

Love your insight about Fate and Destiny, i couldn't agree more. 

34 minutes ago, MyD said:

Just suddenly remember that Saturday is 31 Dec. And I think that they will cancel other programs on national channel but about TVN this might not happen. But somehow, the rating may be affected.

Noo i hope they will not cancel this week eps. Well 1 ep this week in better than not having at all

• Like 7