[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

24 minutes ago, gamshe said:

That is such a great analysis! I love it so much omg *cries forever* Honestly, this adds up to my infinite list of why I love her and WangSun. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears: But can I ask why did you color my thoughts on Sunny's name? I was excited to read what you thought of it, but you did not write anything ahahha.

@hairuchii As a translator myself, I think it is always very exciting to start translating poems since they are a whole different world. Good luck with that and can't wait to read your translations ^^ I will also buy the book but only to read as I have a long way to learn Korean haha.

I was actually about to write how it reflects on her being a person that takes charge of her life, which is the opposite of WY , who is a more passive character, but I think I accidentally pressed the wrong button or something and my computer submitted the reply before I could finish. -_- I have already edited my post and added a whole analysis of Sunny and her relationship with WY. :) 

Btw thanks! Glad you liked it! Yeah I also love Sunny and her relationship with WY to bits! They're my top OTP. Second OTP would be ShinTak of course. :tongue:  

Edited by fikachuuu
Typos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, supergal99 said:

:blush: these vids capture the fun moments:blush:

Happy waiting ...for the special ep.!

Thanks for sharing these!

Did you guys notice how tall GY and LDW are? They practically tower over everyone else. It's like they have to look down on someone when they talk to them. LOL

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hairuchii said:

Hello, Brides, Immortals, Guardians, and Gobliners... 

Aren't we all feeling a little nostalgic today? Sighs. I had always looked forward to the weekends, and now, there wouldn't be anything as captivating as Goblin to watch this weekend. Sighs.

Anyway, thanks to @nearsea for sharing Gong Yoo's message on his fan cafe (on page 1016 in this thread). I have only just been able to translate the entire message. I am not sure if anyone else has translated this yet; I haven't been able to read the previous pages carefully.

Our Gong Yoo is rather poetic with his words, and I guess he is overcome with exhaustion at the end of the shoot. He speaks of how he would enjoy laughing, chatting and drinking with everyone at the farewell party, since he is good at acting anyway, despite how tired he is. Awww, well, he has done an amazing job as the Goblin. Whatever rewards he would reap from now on, he deserves all of them!

MY TRANSLATION OF GONG YOO'S MESSAGE ON HIS FAN CAFE.

말 그대로 쓸쓸하고 찬란했던 시간들이었습니다.

The times had been literally brilliant and lonely.

이상하고 아름다운 삶이었습니다.

It had been a strange and beautiful life.

때론 내가 감당할 수 없음에 의심하고 또 의심하며 누군가를 아니 내 지신을 원망하기도 했습니다.

Sometimes, when I doubted that I could do it, I doubted so much that I could not blame anyone [but myself].

[The rest is in the spoiler box below]

Hide contents

매 회가 저에겐 넘어야 할 산이었고...

Every episode had been a mountain for me (to climb).

나를 절대적으로 믿어주고 애정해주신 작가님... 감독님... 스탭들... 동료배우들...그리고 여러분…

Writer-nim… Director-nim… Staff members… Fellow actors… and everyone who absolutely believed and gave me affection…

덕분에 수 많은 산을 넘고 넘어 무사히 여기까지 왔습니다.

Thanks [to your belief in me and affection), I was able to climb many mountains and come to this point safely.

다행입니다... 모두의 노력에 조금이라고 보탬이 된 것 같아서 말입니다..

I am glad… I think it is possible because of everyone's efforts, however small they may be.

고맙습니다 모두...

Thank you, everyone…

앞으로도 사랑하는 이들을 보내고 홀로 남아야하는 도깨비를 생각하면 먹먹하고 가슴 한 구석이 아려옵니다.

When you think about the Goblin who remains alone in the future, a small corner of our [regretful] hearts may ache as we send him our love.

남아있는 세 번의 삶 동안 부디 은탁이와 아름답고 행복하기만을 빌어봅니다.

Please pray for happiness in Eun Tak's three remaining lives.

안녕...

Bye…

덧 1) 마지막 방송직후에 하늘에서 폭설이 쏟아지더군요... 혹여 걱정하셨을까봐... 그건 지구의 우울...^^

Immediately after the final broadcast, there was a heavy snowfall… I thought perhaps that you might be worried… That was the Earth’s sadness… ^^

덧 2) 바보같이 콜타임을 물어보고 잠을 얼마나 잘 수 있는지 체크합니다.

Like a silly person, I ask for a ‘call-time’ to put a check on how well I could sleep.

오늘 저녁엔 '쫑파티씬' 이랍니다... 아무 생각없이 웃고 떠들고 술 먹는 연기는 정말 잘 할 수 있는데...

There is the celebration party this evening. Without thinking about anything,  I [will] laugh, chat, and drink; after all, I could act well… ^^

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

They will have a long live this time and remember she has two more lives to live... there is not telling what will happen at the end of her fourth life...perhaps they will leave together.  Also knowing that she will come back, and will find him, will help KS during the times she is away.  I like the ending because it held possibilities.  

Something about the world Shin was in, post-reincarnations, or in between the reincarnation, it looked strange and foreign to me. I couldn't relate to it at all, since that's not the world we have been witnessing from ep 1. Seeing all those people disappear, reaper, sunny, DH, and that Shin is living in a world where no one awaits him. It was scary and made me feel detached. It's just those times that I felt for Shin, that how bad it must have been for him to 'keep waiting' when everyone else has left him. Also that scene too, in the buckwheat field when he was walking alone. All these places were full of memories, but now it's just him under the big sky. Yes, ET would come back, but he can't cling on to her, as she would always die at 40,50,60 years. And he would always have to wait for her, and meanwhile act as god. I would rather take a 'simple' ending with the bride than these X2 or X3  lifetimes. Only one is enough from my pov, since I think there 'is' heaven/hell. They could spend the eternity together without having to bother about death in between. But it's just my POV anyway. Having said that, I get the gist that writer intended for this ending from the start. She wanted Shin to be an immortal till the end probably. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, hairuchii said:

덧 1) 마지막 방송직후에 하늘에서 폭설이 쏟아지더군요... 혹여 걱정하셨을까봐... 그건 지구의 우울...^^

Immediately after the final broadcast, there was a heavy snowfall… I thought perhaps that you might be worried… That was the Earth’s sadness… ^^

덧 2) 바보같이 콜타임을 물어보고 잠을 얼마나 잘 수 있는지 체크합니다.

Like a silly person, I ask for a ‘call-time’ to put a check on how well I could sleep.

오늘 저녁엔 '쫑파티씬' 이랍니다... 아무 생각없이 웃고 떠들고 술 먹는 연기는 정말 잘 할 수 있는데...

There is the celebration party this evening. Without thinking about anything,  I [will] laugh, chat, and drink; after all, I could act well… ^^

Aww, in his words he's saying that wasn't the dokkaebi causing the snow. So sweet!

Thanks hairuchii for taking the time to translate the post :) . I can sense how considerate he is of his fans. Btw what does he mean by

'Like a silly person, I ask for a ‘call-time’ to put a check on how well I could sleep.' :S

• Like 8

1 hour ago, fikachuuu said:

Besides that, I agree with @hussh that Wang yeo/Lee Hyuk is a passive character.  Therefore he is the passive one in his relationship with Sunny being the one who takes the lead in the relationship.

In Goryeo: The first time that she showed that characteristic of hers of taking the lead was when she refused to wait for the king to come to her but instead ran to meet him and ended up meeting him in the middle. She also confronted the PJW on the unjust execution (even though she kind of lost on that one?). She told the king upfront that his enemy is PJW and not her brother Kim Shin and several times advised him to rethink his royal decrees (like the execution of the ministers).  Perhaps she could have found another way to protect WY and her brother at the same time instead of sacrifing her self but it could be because she was young and naive at the time. 

In present timeline: She showed this characteristic by refusing to go by her original name (due to it being sad sounding) and changes it to something that sounds more cheery. She asked divinity (even though she is not aware that she was talking to him) to p**s off and leave her life alone as she knows how to take care of her life herself lol. And she was the one who initiated to leave (probably also because she knows that GR could not do so since he doesn't have anywhere else to go) so that she can move on her life without GR and give them both a better chance at a better next life. (At least that is my assumption)

In reincarnation timeline: Even after a lifetime she's still the one leading (or taking charge in) the relationship by nudging him if he wants to progress in the relationship, bringing him to a motel (Lol you so agressive Sunny) and buying him couple bracelets so that she can claim him hers (I find that it's more like her arresting him then him arresting her even though she was the one who asks him to do so.) So even though WY is no longer gullible but confident and even acting cool he still just follows her lead willingly lol. (I daresay that if PJW wasn't in the picture in Goryeo, it would be Kim Sun who would be his main influence since in subsequent lives it is shown that he just follows what she says lol). And not to forget Sunny's the one saying all those cheesy lines to WY/Lee Hyuk like "How dare you say I look like a criminal? Did I steal your heart or something?" and "Think of it as a handcuff, you stole my heart" when she gave him the bracelet as well as, when WY/Lee Hyuk asked if it's a bribe, she simply says "Then arrest me then". Lolol :lol:

So Sunny being the agressive one while WY being the somewhat passive one means that they're made for each other haha. I guess opposites attract in their case. :tongue: And by WY initiating in pulling her into a kiss at the end, I feel that it shows that he has finally let Sunny's aggressiveness rub off on him and now he's the one taking charge. hehe.

Ahahah, I think I am just too excited to talk or read about WangSun that I couldn't wait for you to edit your post ahahha. :sweatingbullets:

I love love this and agree completely. She was also very leading and persistent to meet him, taking it to even hanging out around his house lmao.

Her leaving because WY had nowhere to go reminds me of Kim Shin when he left the house because he knew GR had nowhere else to go. Another person who loves GR. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

I find it very funny that we were craving for skinship for this whole 16 episodes and never got anything but after 1000+ years they couldn't hold it in more and slept together right away ahhahaha. Freaking KES. :lol: I am kinda imagining all those moments that were not shown to us. :rolleyes::wub::wub::wub:

• Like 4

I love gong yoo message,it?s like his character in goblin is like him and i think he was so into it

thank you for sharing the videos, at least we see them laughing and happy . 

I'm back from a night duty of 32 hours, i was ok at work since i was busy, but now i'm back home, i'm here in this thread and i feel an emptiness

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Something about the world Shin was in, post-reincarnations, or in between the reincarnation, it looked strange and foreign to me. I couldn't relate to it at all, since that's not the world we have been witnessing from ep 1. Seeing all those people disappear, reaper, sunny, DH, and that Shin is living in a world where no one awaits him. It was scary and made me feel detached. It's just those times that I felt for Shin, that how bad it must have been for him to 'keep waiting' when everyone else has left him. Also that scene too, in the buckwheat field when he was walking alone. All these places were full of memories, but now it's just him under the big sky. Yes, ET would come back, but he can't cling on to her, as she would always die at 40,50,60 years. And he would always have to wait for her, and meanwhile act as god. I would rather take a 'simple' ending with the bride than these X2 or X3  lifetimes. Only one is enough from my pov, since I think there 'is' heaven/hell. They could spend the eternity together without having to bother about death in between. But it's just my POV anyway. Having said that, I get the gist that writer intended for this ending from the start. She wanted Shin to be an immortal till the end probably. 

Yeah I understand how you feel. I think the thing that's the most heartbreaking for me is that the whole dokkaebi family is separated. We've been so deeply invested in their meeting and growth of their relationship with each other as house mates/a family that them being apart makes my heart feel empty. Deok Hwa just dissappeared into thin air (ok I'm just exaggerating but we didn't get any closure of what happened to him, not even a mention (when KS was in the buckwheat fields lamenting), ET's is separated from Kim Shin by death in between lifetimes and his sister and best friend who have been reincarnated do not meet Kim Shin at the ending scene (Why didn't Kim Shin go to meet them?). To give myself a peace of mind I shall assume that the bromance couple will meet later (perhaps when WangSun is getting ready to marry and is house hunting, they will try and buy KS's house without knowing it hehe) and become the bickering best friends they once were.

I feel like I'm living out Kim Shin's loneliness while waiting for ET to reincarnate (which if it is what the writer & director intended for us to feel, I would say "YOU DID YOUR JOB WELL BOTH OF YOU" *Cries in a corner*.)  Also I've been listening to Goblin Ost by Kim Kyung Hee Stuck in Love on repeat and imagining lonely Kim shin scenes again and again in my head because they're both really stuck in love aren't they? Stuck in a sorrowful kind of love that will repeat round and round again until ET's last life cycle and Goblin would be left all alone in this world. T^T Which is why I would like to believe what @oneseyespy said that KS would finally Rest in Peace at the end of ET's last life cycle to be true because at least it would then put an end to his (multiple) lifelong torment and he would be able to cross over with ET into the afterlife at long last.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, gamshe said:

I am here to disagree! :lol: 

While I also think KES could explore her and WangSun's story more and better, I think she was more than a conflict. She was the core reason of WY having a second chance at life and love. He regretted his sins towards her the most, leading to suicide, leading to being a grim reaper, leading to become an empty book. Empty book as in a new oppurtunity to write it better. It led to meeting her and Kim Shin again. Led to meeting good friends like Euntak and Deokhwa. Because of his feelings towards her, whether it be love or being sorry, he was given a second chance to face his sins, forgive himself, make peace with Kim Shin and treat and love Sunny better. He was given a chance to live a better life. He was given a chance to help kill the eunuch and protect his loved ones since he couldn't do it as WY.

She was this bright young woman who had to be brave at such a young age towards an awful human who had all the power in his hands. She never wanted to be queen and carry all the hardships it caused but still she tried to do her best. She never received love from WY, at least not in a traditional way since WY almost never showed it but she was so willing to love him and show it. She waited and waited for him to come see her while also being worried about him. And as soon as she heard that he came, she ran to him to meet in the middle.

Kim Shin says in ep 13; ''My young sister protected you with her life. I am sure my sister knew that once Park Joon Won said ''Kim Shin''  that ''Kim Sun'' would be next. That she would be used to pressure you. That's why that idiot died there as the sister of a traitor, rather than becoming your weakness. To save you.'' She loved WY and she was the only good thing in his life. She was the only person who showed him the love she had. She was the only thing in WY's life that made him better (at least tried) and more human. She also carried this purpose by being in GR's life too. She was the connection to the human life, she was the only human in GR's life, and an effective one. 

I also do not think that her leaving was another reason to make Wookie cry. Her leaving showed that she was just too heartbroken to face him. Some people here think that she never forgave him. But I think that she never even blamed him. She said that in every moment with him, even with all that hardship, she was happy. Even while dying, only thing she thought was if WY was sad too, because she only saw his back. Even when they confronted eachother at the bridge, she wiped his tears in an affectionate manner while saying ''You should have noticed it earlier.'' when he said he was a fool. She also showed her affection by saying ''Don't cry while walking, it is cold,'' while pretending that she doesn't know him. She was like a shelter to him, both in Goryeo and modern times. Because while everyone was against him (KS and ET, it was only natural for them) she was the only one to wipe his tears and when he was dealing with all of the pressure from PJW, she was a door to smile even a bit. Even after dying, she was WY's only way to become easeful even a bit; remember the scene where he laid next to her painting. Opposite to Euntak, she had to stay in between KS and GR. As she said, she was both the sister of the traitor, and the person who loves WY.

She left but she was still sad to leave, as seen when she wanted to hug GR and when she cried after leaving several times. 

That's why I think she and GR never forgot their memories. Some people think that they did because Sunny would want to but I don't agree. They never drank the tea

sorry to cut your post!!

@selenette @Princi_86 @winterdew @bebebisous33 I would love to read your thoughts too. ^^

Ah @selenette I don't have complete scenes, do you mean all of their scenes? I will make though, but I can also make a specific gifset of a scene of your choice ^^ Let me know, and I can't wait to read itttt.

As asked, I would like to reply to your analysis about Sunny. I have to disagree with you in a few points.

I don't think that Kim Sun never felt loved by Wang Yeo. In my opinion, she did. She knew that the king loved her hence she supported him. Hence she was able to criticise him. The proof for that is Kim Shin's comment to Wang Yeo you even wrote  

Kim Shin says in ep 13; ''My young sister protected you with her life. I am sure my sister knew that once Park Joon Won said ''Kim Shin''  that ''Kim Sun'' would be next. That she would be used to pressure you. That's why that idiot died there as the sister of a traitor, rather than becoming your weakness. To save you.''

Kim Shin said that she knew that she was Wang Yeo's weakness... so why a weakness? because Wang Yeo loved her! So even PJW was aware of it. Kim Sun really knew how Wang Yeo felt about her and she had the courage to show her disapproval (with the ring aso). She could defy the king... if she was not sure about his love for her, she would have never dared to act like that. Yet she realised that his love for her was not strong enough to stop the evil eunuch.

The reason why she wanted to keep her memories was that she had beautiful moments with GR and Kim Shin, however she couldn't be with GR for many reasons:

- her brother was mad at her that she had hidden the fact that she knew GR was Wang Yeo. He criticised her for always being on his side. By having a brother who resented Wang Yeo, she felt obliged to break up. 

- moreover, Wang Yeo was a Grim Reaper and not a normal human.

- the memories from her past life as Queen. But I have to agree with you on one point: I don't think that she never forgave Wang Yeo. For her the real culprit was the evil minister. 

Nevertheless, she left the trio as soon as JET had regained her memories and the timing of her departure is not a coincidence. She took care of JET, while Kim Shin was away. Then she left because of the memories. Since JET had her memories back, Sunny should have officially regained hers as well. Then she would have to deal with GR and her brother again. Nonetheless, she felt that she could never be happy with them. I do think that knowing the events from her past life did bother her, she would never really love GR as much as she can because of the memories. Yet she was determined to keep them. It was her choice and as such, she had to deal with the consequences. Unlike you, I believe that Sunny and GR decided to take a clean start and forget their past life. From my point of view, they represent the opposite of KimShin/JET couple. While the memories of our OTP are precious and give them the strength to love each other beyond the death, Sunny and Wang Yeo have to leave their memories behind because there is so much pain in their memories. The memories were the real reason why they couldn't be together in the end.

Since they even met under strange circumstances (he is a GR), they know that they are fated and they will meet again in their next life. That's why she says that she hopes that the waiting won't be too long. But like I wrote before, their love was at first sight and it happened again in Sunny's third life. So they can be pretty sure that in her next life, she will meet him again and will fall for him all over again.

I know that I won't be able to convince you with my interpretation. But since you asked for my opinion...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ucylucy said:

Sorry for spamming but found some eng sub videos and video compilations of the wrap up party that I want to share here. :D

@ucylucy Thank you for these videos! I have seen some of them on IG but it makes a lot of difference when they are all in 1 place and well edited. So great! 

I want to refer to this video in particular:

Initially when I watched the vid without any context, I was wondering why GY had to bend down. 

Then, when subs came out, I thought, oh ok! Candles to summon KS, wow! Funny touch by the writer (as she was the one who announced it). 

But when I watched the video right now, I was wondering why GY decided to quickly change positions without anyone saying anything to him.

And it's because... (drumroll)...

He has been acting as KS for 5 months and probably preparing his role a couple of months before that. So he is KS and KS is GY right now. GY knows that for 'ET' to summon him, he has to be behind her! If you watch the video, he moved instinctively without any cue from anyone.

I was really wow-ed by this fact. He is still 'in character' and even though he didn't have the costume or hairdo or luxurious clothing, GY the actor and KS the Goblin merged into one, wearing GY-clothing.  KS-GY duo had one thought, acted in accordance as one spirit and moved together, without anyone telling him. It's instinct, professionalism, quick-wittedness and awareness all in one. 

By the way, did anyone notice that his upper body is really huge and V-shaped? It is especially obvious when he pops up as the candles are blown out. 

I love you GY! Thank you for existing and living in the same time period as me. hahaha

• Like 17

36 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Aww, in his words he's saying that wasn't the dokkaebi causing the snow. So sweet!

Thanks hairuchii for taking the time to translate the post :) . I can sense how considerate he is of his fans. Btw what does he mean by

'Like a silly person, I ask for a ‘call-time’ to put a check on how well I could sleep.' :S

Actually, I was very puzzled over that line too. It took me a while to figure out what he was trying to say, and to translate it so that it made sense in English. I wasn't sure what he meant by "call-time" either. I have translated it directly without changing his words. Perhaps he meant... an alarm? a morning call? Hmmm. :sweatingbullets:

However, I have taken the liberty to assume that he wishes he could sleep till he wakes up on his own, but he has to put a check on / put a stop to this wish because he has other commitments (for e.g. the celebration party). ^^

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, gamshe said:

Ahahah, I think I am just too excited to talk or read about WangSun that I couldn't wait for you to edit your post ahahha. :sweatingbullets:

I love love this and agree completely. She was also very leading and persistent to meet him, taking it to even hanging out around his house lmao.

Her leaving because WY had nowhere to go reminds me of Kim Shin when he left the house because he knew GR had nowhere else to go. Another person who loves GR. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

I find it very funny that we were craving for skinship for this whole 16 episodes and never got anything but after 1000+ years they couldn't hold it in more and slept together right away ahhahaha. Freaking KES. :lol: I am kinda imagining all those moments that were not shown to us. :rolleyes::wub::wub::wub:

Ah yes. How I miss GR/KS bromance :'( :'(  

Lolol they must have craved for each other for too long to be able to resist haha. And the part where WY/Lee hyuk said "I didn't hear anything" and just took her hand to lead her to the room made my heart skip a beat. Kyaa~ It was the first time we actually see WY being aggressive lol. 

I'd rather not imagine what they did in there as I might just die of embarassment. I'd  probably feel like I'm invading their privacy or something but that's just me. Hahaha:sweatingbullets:

• Like 3

i suddenly thought of this when I was washing dishes goblin even haunts me during my chores  ^_^
when kim shin saw her classmate's friend future (when she was suggesting a blind date or something to eun tak) was that part of the future taken away from eun tak since she decided at the last minute to risk her life for the kids or did her future change since he decided to get married to her way earlier than planned? Or was it implied somewhere that it probably happened but we just didn't see it? (before her death)
I might have missed some key information because I was crying so much during those last two episodes :tongue:
sorry for the rambling mess, i swear my English is getting worse for some reason lol!

• Like 3

I couldn't understand their conversations while watching the live telecast but i pick up a few things and now that i've seen the episodes with translations i couldn't stop admiring the writer. I really admire how he or she connected everything that made one of the best and most unique romances. Aside from that, the life lessons presented will really make you value your life. Goblin is one of if not the best drama of 2017.

• Like 4

I can't believe Goblin is over. I've longed for and waited for each precious episode with much excitement and anticipation but also dreaded coming to the last episode of such an amazing drama. :bawling:

I personally have mixed feelings about the ending. A part of me is satisfied and a part of me longs to see how their lives would have panned out in the long run. I'm a big fan of "determined" or what you call "certain" endings. It makes me sleep better at night knowing for sure that our OTP live a happy life together. 

The ending makes sense in that:

• The title of the Drama is "Goblin: The Lonely and Great God" - although him being an immortal Goblin, who had to watch all of his loved ones die while he remained, was a punishment, it was also a gift since he served as a guardian for humans and was able to use his powers to do good. So him continuing to be immortal and retaining his powers stayed true to who Kim Shin is. The difference is that he no longer resents his lot in life as he has chosen to come back for ET. Yes, he could have moved on to the afterlife (the deity gave him that option) but he would not have been at peace since there is nothing greater for him than being with ET. While some viewed the afterlife as their reward (in the case of the grim reapers or those who've had to endure a tough life on earth), KS viewed being with ET as his reward and even says so in episode 13 right before he dies. He would be happy wherever ET was even if the amount of time they have together is short compared to the eternity that he has/and may continue to endure.
  • ET was a missing soul - I think that at the back of our minds we all knew that ET was on borrowed time so we all kept anticipating that she might die at some point. So it came as no surprise when she did die. It still broke my heart though because KS and ET finally had a chance to be happy together and their happiness was so short-lived compared to the amount of grief and tribulation they've had to endure to get to that point. At one point I felt as though KS was cheated bec he waited for 900 years to meet ET, only to die and "roam" in the dessert for 9 more years, come back to her and then have her die and leave him alone. 
  • "Sad eternal love"  - this was ET's answer from the very beginning and was replayed in later episodes and I think that's really the overall theme of this drama. KS and ET found eternal love in each other but it was a sad kind because they would have to endure separation and pain to be together. KS would continue to be immortal and would have to wait for ET in each of her lives while ET would eventually die and have to come back to find KS. I liked that every person that dies gets to choose whether to drink the tea of oblivion or to refuse it. This allowed ET to choose to keep all of her memories so that she can come back to KS and continue where they left off instead of having to start fresh. I was always worried about either KS or ET dying and being reincarnated with no memories because I felt that it wouldn't be the same. I've mentioned in a previous post that all memories (big or small) contribute to the depth of a relationship so it wouldn't feel right if they lost what made them "them" to begin with. Plus, all the things they've been through together only made them stronger and have a deeper appreciation for each other. We saw our characters mature and grow in love and make sacrifices for the sake of the other and that would have all been put to waste if they "forgot".

After finishing a drama I've been engrossed with, I usually spend the next few days just thinking and rethinking and letting it all sink in and in doing so, I've thought about the following:

• Sunny  - from the beginning, Sunny has always resented being called Kim Sun and has always insisted that she be called "Sunny" instead as that is the name she chose for herself. Even when she regained memories of her former life as the queen and KS' sister, she still insisted on being known as her current self rather than being remembered and known by her former life. Of course she loved her brother and WY but she did not wish to live in the past and instead chose to look forward. To me, Sunny represented the present. She believed in living in the present and being in control of your own life regardless of what your past may have been. She dealt with her past the way she though best - by leaving it where it belongs - in the past. She refused to live with KS and refused to be in a relationship with WY (GR) because they were still dealing with the repercussions of their former lives and I don't think they were capable of engaging with her for who she is in the present. She is a different person in this life after all. I think this is also why she keeps saying the line "Today is our first day".
  • WY - WY on the other hand was not able to live his former life to the full, being consumed by his guilt and grief and chose to end his life. Only by coming to terms with his past sins and making amends could he peacefully move forward. By getting to know KS and loving him as a friend, he was able to understand just how bad of a sin he committed against him. By not being able to be with Sunny was ultimately his punishment. 
  • Sunny and WY reincarnated - I am not fully convinced that they retained their memories of their former lives. I think they may have some traits that carried on (such as WY tendency to speak in statements while Sunny has a tendency to be assertive and strong-willed). I think not having memories of their former lives would make more sense because it represents both of them having a fresh start, a clean slate, so to speak, where they don't have to deal with the pain of their former lives and they can move forward without resentment.

I would have really liked to see a future with ET and KS with kids and living normal lives but maybe that kind of ending just does not fit with the overall theme of Goblin being fantastical and bittersweet at the same time. The ending does leave us with a lot of possibilities and I guess we'll just never know what really happens and can only hope for the best for all our characters. I can't help but wonder what ET and KS' lives would be like - would it be weird if she kept aging and he stayed young? Can they have children and if so, what would their lives be like with a mother who grows old and dies and an immortal father? What happens when ET runs out of lives? Will the deity eventually tell KS "you've done enough" and let him move on to the afterlife with ET after her fourth life? 

One thing though that made me sad - the end of the bromance. I wish KS and WY would continue to have some sort of relationship even in their other lives. 

I do get why ET met him again as a highschool student. It's the age when they first met and would have made it easier for KS to recognize her. She is on the brink of becoming an adult. I personally preferred highschool ET to adult ET because she was just so charming and playful and full of mischief and innocence which I think is what also made her so lovable to KS. I think KS and ET meeting again at the same age allows KS and ET to make up for those 9 years they had missed when KS was stuck in limbo. This way KS gets to see ET "grow up" to her 29 year old self. 

I do appreciate that KS came back as a Goblin with all his powers intact. I feel like that is the essence of who he is and I mean, he just wouldn't be him without it. I mean how will they have more Quebec dates without his ability to open doors right? LOL it just feels right that they continue to be who they are.

I think this is the first drama I've seen (and I've watched a lot) where I was eager to see how each of the characters would do. I was interested even with each of the ghosts! Although I was one of those people more interested in seeing what would happen to KS and ET, I found myself wanting to see how DH, CEO Kim, KS' former general, the ghosts, etc would fare. I wanted each and every character to have their own happy ending.

Thank you friends for all the live recaps for taking the time to read all of my posts (long and short)! I'm glad we got to see such a beautiful drama together. 

• Like 23

also was this already brought up? I remember watching the teasers and was curious to who the little boy was in grim reaper's trailer:

i thought it was the little boy eun tak took care of outside of the chicken restaurant but i'm so bad with faces, I can't help but feel like the boy in the trailer is just a random kid :ph34r:

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

As asked, I would like to reply to your analysis about Sunny. I have to disagree with you in a few points.

I don't think that Kim Sun never felt loved by Wang Yeo. In my opinion, she did. She knew that the king loved her hence she supported him. Hence she was able to criticise him. The proof for that is Kim Shin's comment to Wang Yeo you even wrote  

Kim Shin said that she knew that she was Wang Yeo's weakness... so why a weakness? because Wang Yeo loved her! So even PJW was aware of it. Kim Sun really knew how Wang Yeo felt about her and she had the courage to show her disapproval (with the ring aso). She could defy the king... if she was not sure about his love for her, she would have never dared to act like that. Yet she realised that his love for her was not strong enough to stop the evil eunuch.

The reason why she wanted to keep her memories was that she had beautiful moments with GR and Kim Shin, however she couldn't be with GR for many reasons:

- her brother was mad at her that she had hidden the fact that she knew GR was Wang Yeo. He criticised her for always being on his side. By having a brother who resented Wang Yeo, she felt obliged to break up. 

- moreover, Wang Yeo was a Grim Reaper and not a normal human.

- the memories from her past life as Queen. But I have to agree with you on one point: I don't think that she never forgave Wang Yeo. For her the real culprit was the evil minister. 

Nevertheless, she left the trio as soon as JET had regained her memories and the timing of her departure is not a coincidence. She took care of JET, while Kim Shin was away. Then she left because of the memories. Since JET had her memories back, Sunny should have officially regained hers as well. Then she would have to deal with GR and her brother again. Nonetheless, she felt that she could never be happy with them. I do think that knowing her event from her past life did bother her, she would never really love GR as much as she can because of the memories. Yet she was determined to keep them. It was her choice and as such, she had to deal with the consequences. Unlike you, I believe that Sunny and GR decided to take a clean start and forget their past life. From my point of view, they represent the opposite of KimShin/JET couple. While the memories of our OTP are precious and give them the strength to love each other beyond the death, Sunny and Wang Yeo have to leave their memories behind because there is so much pain in their memories. The memories were the real reason why they couldn't be together in the end.

Since they even met under strange circumstances (he is a GR), they know that they are fated and they will meet again in their next life. That's why she says that she hopes that the waiting won't be too long. But like I wrote before, their love was at first sight and it happened again in Sunny's third life. So they can be pretty sure that in her next life, she will meet him again and will fall for him all over again.

I know that I won't be able to convince you with my interpretation. But since you asked for my opinion...

Thank you for sharing your opinions, I think it is not to convince each other but just simply discussing because we love them. ^^

I never wanted to mean that Kim Sun never felt the love. I am sorry, I blame it on my knowledge of English haha. I meant that he did not show it in simple ways and I assumed that Kim Sun would want it shown (as everyone would, and she was also a teenager which I think make those feelings stronger), just like WY because he thought he was not loved by her because he was too blind to see it. Luckyly Kim Sun was not and was aware of his love.

But I will disagree on the bolded part. Because she never lost her memories. Deity never erased them and she lived with the memories for all that 9 years, and after leaving too. And I also think that she was able to love GR more because of the memories because I am gonna quote this again: ''Every moment that you were in, even all the sadness and hardship, all of it made me happy.''

But really, thank you for sharing your opinions, I don't mind that they are very different than mine because I just simply like to read them ^^ At the end, they are happy so I am happy too ahaha. 

@fikachuuu ahahha I am now embrassed of my thoughts but no regrets ahaha :sweatingbullets: I am praying for a new drama where they are the lead couple and can share a lot of steamy scenes. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 7