[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

3 minutes ago, lorac529 said:

@enigmatic_zephy I can read hanja and for sure, what ET wrote is the same as what KS wrote (the war piece in foreign land), so DH is lying and saying it is a love letter.  You can refer to Chingu @NRGchick 's photos (p. 415 or below) of ET's & KS's journals, here's the original hanja

埋葬  隨之離於高麗之童稚,孫子之孫子;生面異邦之不老,所聞兇兇,又離不知何處時矣,吾死此生;吾思此生以賞而終局;吾生之罰也,何者之事不忘;神仍然不聽。

Here's my attempt to translate in English

I buried the children his grandson's and grandsons who left Korea with me.  I who never ages lived in strange foreign country surrounded by noisiness and I do not know when to die or end this long life.  At the beginning, I thought God reward me with an endless life but at last, i understand the things I cannot forget is God's punishment for me.  My prayer, why God cannot hear?

And the character ET asks KS was 聽 meaning listen.  Hope this helps as I'm not good with analysis, so really appreciate everyone's efforts in sharing which i love reading!

exactly my point.. so DH totally lied about the poem.. BUT the other truth is.. that the words he uttered.. are exactly the same as what Goblin recites at tend of ep 8 .. his love poem..

This is the only evidence which may hint at DH being more than a mere mortal... otherwise. there are no other strong evidences

Should we read more than there is.. that everyone who matters had reincarnated or is around Goblin ..  with their true faces / not canges genders or faces... specially DH.. has life come full circle.. DH looks like the kid goblin started his jouney with.. after 900 odd years... at the same time as goblin's bride.

Is god hinting at full circle?

• Like 18

@Sarang21 Thank you for the preview with subs! 

I am buoyed by the fact that Dokkaebi wants to face the challenge head on. Now to persuade a Eun Tak to find a way together out of their 'fate'. 

If a variable can affect change, love as a variable should be able to change their destiny!

• Like 22

I want to cry when kim shin say like this...How come goblim and grim reaper cannot make her alive?:sweatingbullets:That dialogue make me want to cry again:tears:

:bawling:

That I heard of conversation want me to hug them

My heart love to Kim Shin want to fight destiny...:heart:..Kim shin fighting..

• Like 16

DAARRRNNNN OMG WHY!???!!! the two dramas that I watched are ALL in sadness mind bulging heart wrenching period!! as dark and cold as the winter season.. I already start my miserable Kdrama life today with LOBS... tomorrow too.. and then the whole week sadness from Goblin...  ottoke.... need to pop my Xanax!!

WELCOMING 2017 with a bucket of tears (too bad I'm a human so my tears is contain water and salt..

no pearls no pearls...

• Like 23

Can my imagination will come true hot kiss will be happen after ET say the real Love You to Kim Shin:heart:

Please writer..dont make sad majority all episode..We want more fun scene. please...:w00t:

and ( spoiler)Lol please put more bromance scene too...

• Like 12

@Sarang21 I agree with you wholeheartedly about the scrolls (and I credited you for your argument in a post).

Also...

1. the room's seemingly private arrangement,

2. as well as the scroll's newness,

3. and the paints and  brushes (see yellow rectangle)

make me think that the scroll, the painting of the Queen which Kim Shin still carries around to this day...was probably painted by the King himself, in secret, unfinished, because he died. :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

What would they say to each other once they find out about this ? :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

scroll.jpg

Cr: @ Sarang21  (Dear, I'm sorry for reusing the pic)

This and Ep 9's preview, especially when 4 of the 5 main characters laughed together (thanks, @Jloves), pierced my heart with sadness. :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

Edited by selenette
  • Like 24

i think DH is the reincarnation of KS righthand man, the guy KS entrusted to stab him with his sword, who was born again n become the lil kid who serve him in ep 1.

now he is DH and the full circle of past event with KS, WY, Kim Sun n righthand man are now in one place n same time frame and that was brought by ET being Goblin bride's presence to which is a variable itself due to KS interfering with her supposed death with her mom 19yrs ago.

also, the gramps secretary is kinda suspicious..cud he be the eunuch? but sometimes he does seems really loyal to the gramps like he is actually the old guy with the grandson reincarnated? KS's household man?

• Like 13

@selenette @Sarang21 I agree with you both. I really enjoyed reading your analysis as well. To me, it doesn't make sense that Sunny would be the King. If so, which crime did the sister commit to become a GR? Since it is said that a GR committed huge sins, then this would mean that the Queen committed huge sins!! However, she has been shown as a victim so far! We have reached the halfway already. Moreover, the fact that KS used a white lantern reveals to us that he feels sorry for his sister and for the king. A lantern is connected to prayers. I can't imagine that KS would write both names on the same lantern, if he wished something bad for the king and something good for his sister. Both names are written on the same lantern and not different, so his prayer is for both of them. Moreover, the colour of the lantern is white, a colour associated to death, but peace and repentance. KS is still upset with the King, yet he has realised that he was the reason why their love for each other ended badly. He blames himself for that, the resent for the king is still vivid. But one doesn't exclude the other.  

The tears GR had are a reflection from the tears the Queen had, when she died! To me, his reaction is supposed to mirror the queen's reaction, when she is about to die. Moreover, crying over his own portrait makes the person look self-centered.

As for this picture goblin%20mirror_zpshi2x4jfj.jpg?t=148277

@packmule3 Notice that the mirror looks like a sun. We all know that the sun symbolises the king. I respect your interpretation with that scene, however I saw it differently. The mirror could be seen as a window from/to the past. While they are talking about the portrait and the identity of the woman, it was as if the past was looking at the future, as if GR's memories from the past were about to come back, but since it is a mirror, it is impossible that the memories can really resurface and that the past can be connected to the present. I hope, it is understandable.

As for DH, I had mentioned very early that DH was more than rich spoiled cheabol heir. The last episode confirmed that he knows more than GR and KS think, he knows. He knew how to use GR for erasing the memories. He knows how to read Hanja, he didn't tell the truth to ET in the first place. He mentioned a love confession, while it was about his death wish. Moreover, he pledged loyalty to the GR very early, which is surprising because he is supposed to help only KS. He was the one who offered his help to GR in the first place. Notice that he wanted to call GR samchun as well. From the beginning, he tried to be as close as possible to the GR. In my opinion, he knew GR's real identity.    

• Like 18

Around ep 8 is normally when I decide to drop a kdrama!!!! The preview cut ain't helping me!! I badly need those witty lines and dark humor!! If you going to make me miserable I want it to be done in a smart and an unexpected way!! Also since I need to know who got incarnated as who I will stick around till the end!!

@packmule3 Thank you for tagging me!! I repeat myself when I say I love your way of analyzing and explaining!! I am lurking here more than I should be!! This is definitely going on my new year's resolutions list!! 

I keep returning to Goryeo scene with KS, Queen and the King and thinking which two character's story/bond/grudge is capable of continuing through the after life.

From what the series has shown so far the King is very much the standard young ruler who made mistakes and might have regretted afterwards. For this we use the queen's portraits. Did anyone notice the King didn't make amends for his betrayal of KS's faith. KS's servants still looked sick and poor. KS still didn't have a proper burial. So once you're branded a traitor even the King can't undo it even if he wants to? Does this mean the King took his hatred for KS and his love for the Queen to his grave? If yes, then that explains the need for an afterlife in form of GR. 

Queen seemed to have no grudges when she died. She died accepting the situation. She didn't seem to have any accounts to settle. I really wanted a cliched shot of her looking at the King as he walks off at the end. Just to keep an open end (and also easy for my slow brain!!). But that didn't happen. She seemed to have a closure (peace/acceptance of fate??) even before she died. I see no reason for her reincarnation. Other than the standard lovers reincarnated. Not intriguing enough for me personally!! Also since the makers are hiding Sunny and not giving us enough to make any calculations.

KS with generous screen time and obviously being the main character has enough ego, grudges and pain to last 1000 odd years. His main opponent being God and second being the King (from the way he wrote the name and of course his earlier interest in finding if a certain pop singer could be the King!!)

So the grudge/bond that holds through time is KS and the King. With whatever is shown to me so far, as of episode 8 I am more inclined towards GR as the King (and Sunny as the red herring!). Even though on many levels I want the writer to end with GR is the Queen and say 'You didn't see that coming, did ya!!'. 

@selenette Loved your counter post!! God is indeed in details and in the hidden tags!!! book-smiley.gif?1292867558

On the soul and the gender discussions I quote this. "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."

• Like 21

27 minutes ago, selenette said:

@Sarang21 I agree with you wholeheartedly about the scrolls (and I credited you for your argument in a post).

Also...

1. the room's seemingly private arrangement,

2. as well as the scroll's newness,

3. and the paints and  brushes (see yellow rectangle)

make me think that the scroll, the painting of the Queen which Kim Shin still carries around to this day...was probably painted by the King himself, in secret, unfinished, because he died. :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

What would they say to each other once they find out about this ? :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

Cr: @ Sarang21  (Dear, I'm sorry for reusing the pic)

This and Ep 9's preview, especially when 4 of the 5 main characters laughed together (thanks, @Jloves), pierced my heart with sadness. :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

I read your arguments and your have made some great points. I also think that it was painted by the King. After being branded as a traitor, it wouldn´t make sense to me for anyone else to be painting pictures of her in the palace.

For sure it would be a very emotional scene, when they find out and we would need a lot of kleenex :bawling:

Don´t worry about reusing the pic..it´s okay :)

• Like 12

@selenette @Sarang21 Since it was on the king's order that the Queen got killed, the king couldn't show his pain in public. If he had cried in public, he would have tarnished his reputation. Moreover, he couldn't even attend her funeral as well. That's why he painted her over and over again, he had to do it in private, in secrecy, since if it had been known, people would have seen him as a weak king. He was grieving, but he could only do it without any witness, especially because he kept the evil minister by his side.

• Like 19