[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, camichi said:

The way he was glaring at her when they were making the  agreement on how to call each other at work and at home. 

+10000000  Thank you for mentioning that. This scene was one of those delicately-delivered scenes and the actor is rocking his role. I was so sqealing over his cute happy face when MY handed him the glass of smoothie. He has priceless facial expressions. Can we have morrrrre of MY and Junghee moments?? So sweet and lovely!!

45 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I think the next big bombshell is going to be about everyone finding out why HY broke up with JH 8 years ago.

Agreeee :))

1 hour ago, jina_bing_bang said:

Welcome and have you seen a lot of family dramas?

Hi, :))  Thank you!

I have watched some. But I dropped them because they dragged stuff so much. The evil characters are just so evil and I am not really patient to watch them do whatever they want. I like more light-hearted ones and I really love fast-paced dramas. 

1 hour ago, jina_bing_bang said:

I too love that HyeYoung doesn't hold herself back even in front of her parents, she is who she is!

Yes!! Totallyyy agree!!  In episode 10, HY told her mom that they have different values and eveything has changed. She said that what she has done is not immoral and nowadays couples live with each other because they either wanna be close to each other or due to financial issues. She is such a well-written character. Kdrama land needs this kind of female roles. She is a lawyer and her personality does match her.  That is Why I am not worried about how she is gonna handle the evil mother-inlaw. Because she sure is not a pushover. 

1 hour ago, camichi said:

When he was with MY at the parking to show her the van that was assigned,  she took his hands and he react like shocked and avoided her hands immediately

Guyyys!! It is starting right?? :)) They are gonna find themselves having feelings which cannot be explained and try to justify it. I love that. :D:D  It is similar to "That winter the wind blows". 

PS   I think it is Junghee who is gonna fall in love with MY first judging from his reactions in episode 20. 

For me the love story between MY and Junghee is first. Second I like HY and his partner. The other sibling also has an interesting story for herself. But overall, I really enjoy the story of MY. Her character is also vey well-written

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, nika94 said:

Guyyys!! It is starting right?? :)) They are gonna find themselves having feelings which cannot be explained and try to justify it. I love that. :D:D  It is similar to "That winter the wind blows". 

PS   I think it is Junghee who is gonna fall in love with MY first judging from his reactions in episode 20. 

For me the love story between MY and Junghee is first. Second I like HY and his partner. The other sibling also has an interesting story for herself. But overall, I really enjoy the story of MY. Her character is also vey well-written

I'm as eager for their romance as much as anyone, but he does truly believe that she is his sister, for now.

So, I think, for now, he will grow to admire and appreciate her as a person. Which is lovely.

What I particularly love about MY is how honest she is with herself. She acknowledges when she is wrong, and she is clear about what she is willing to take. She used to be a pushover, but she isn't anymore. She's compassionate, but not a doormat. I agree that she is well-written and well-performed.

The same with Joong-Hee. Both characters are created to be lovable and endearing. And it's working!

20 hours ago, RayaAplus said:

I just fiished watching ep20 raw and JH and MY made my day, they are soo sweet :blush:

Yes they are and I really like Mi Young and Joong Hee's couple song (well I assume it's the case even if we've heard it for the first time). Can't wait for more sweet and funny scenes with this feel good song :D

[ep20 cut] from 0:27 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1-wKHKXoYA

Ra Young and Chul Soo song ([ep16 cut] from 2:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUSUYx-rS1M

Hye-Young and Jung-Hwan song (I think this was the first time it included female singer too) ([ep14 cut] from 1:48) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbT1YkXEMqw

(KBS has obssession with not allowing embedding of videos, so only links)

No idea whether Joon-Young and Yoo-Joo have a song, I can't stand either of them, skipping all their scenes:)

What takes so long to KBS to release OST?

I've read all the posts here and seems like everyone is having the same feeling as me watching joonghee & miyoung moments together, they're so cute

For Joonyoung, I think yes he's a loser, but don't forget he also has been doing a very tough work during the night, I'm just amazed he's not quitting it yet. His childish act towards Joonghee is unacceptable but he did have his own reason for ignoring and hating him, having prejudice towards him (maybe during the scene where they're setting the bidet at the bathroom)

Joonyoung confrontation with Hyeyoung, it did tell a lot about his feeling, he knows how much of a loser he is, and if I'm not mistaken he's confessing about him being the eldest and how much of a burden that is.... I hope he did change for a better Byun's family

2 hours ago, agnescz said:

Yes they are and I really like Mi Young and Joong Hee's couple song (well I assume it's the case even if we've heard it for the first time). Can't wait for more sweet and funny scenes with this feel good song :D

[ep20 cut] from 0:27 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1-wKHKXoYA

Ra Young and Chul Soo song ([ep16 cut] from 2:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUSUYx-rS1M

Hye-Young and Jung-Hwan song (I think this was the first time it included female singer too) ([ep14 cut] from 1:48) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbT1YkXEMqw

(KBS has obssession with not allowing embedding of videos, so only links)

No idea whether Joon-Young and Yoo-Joo have a song, I can't stand either of them, skipping all their scenes:)

What takes so long to KBS to release OST?

I like JH and MY song, it matches theirs sweet and bright smiling faces. I like their scenes a lot, I hope for more in upcoming episodes. I also like JH scenes with the director, also AL. I can't wait for him, AL and MY meetings on the roof :D

tumblr_opn0kbdCbA1usimgso1_400.gif         tumblr_opn0kbdCbA1usimgso2_400.gif

I like Ra Young as the maknae, she was really funny when their house was in a mess and she was busy hiding her precious bag on JH room, but I'm not really a fan of her BF, I find him a bit boring. 

About Hye Young, I liked how she stand for herself in front of her parents, it is how her personality is and how we liked her, but that doesn't mean she was right, if she is really that confident why didn't she tell her parents instead of decieving them, whatever she did was right or not she knows that it ll upset them a lot but she did it anyway, I was disappointed on her when she started lying at her parents. 

Among all characters Joon Young is the one that I can't stand, he is simply a loser, I can't even imagine he is the oldest, he dares to bring his wife to his family house and also ask for the best room for her. He got angry at Hye Young but he did worst than her, at least she is independant and successful.

My current musings:  This is a Korean family drama where the greater the obstacle, the greater the likelihood that it will be overcome. Given that premise, if Cha Jung Hwan's despicable mother can eventually be remade by the writer into something approaching a decent person, then the adult Byun siblings and their extended family can come to forgive father Byun for concealing his past from them as a totally innocent person who was wrongfully convicted of murder. Personally, I think that the political angle is a more credible reason for the identity switch. But, admittedly, the wrongful conviction angle is a far greater obstacle to overcome. My two cents, (and only two cents because I was wrong before), is that the eyewitness to the beating of the victim will come forward and clear father Byun of any involvement in the crime.

Hello people, long time reader but first time poster. This show is so good it motivated me to register. I want to comment on why I think HY is in the wrong with her parents. I know she is an adult and the only child with a successful career, but her big sin was moving in with her boyfriend without even telling her parents about him, nevermind the whole conservative society thing. If she was going to do something like that she should have been upfront with them. Her arguments that society has changed is ridiculous because it missed the entire problem. To give an analogy, it's like arguing there is nothing illegal about drilling for oil when the oil company is in trouble for drilling in someone's backyard. On top of that, HY and CJH were staying in a house that CJH's mom owned, so that is another level of deceit right there ( though I do not know if HY was aware of that detail.)

We also shouldn't compare what she did with what her bum of a brother did. In JY's case, the damage is done. All they can do is deal with the fallout. That said, I suspect CJH might be moving in with the family soon if the Byun elders give the approval for marriage but CJH's mother does not. CJH isn't exactly a successful director, so they may not have the money to live anywhere as nice as where they did without his mother's support. 

This show never fails to impress me with their cliffhangers. The writers and directors behind are doing a really good job. You are left wanting more at the end of each ep which is a really good sign.  

Everyone has already said what i wanted to say, so i dont have much to contribute. But i do want to just squeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll at MY/JH development this week. He started to feel some feelings towards her. Eeeeeeeeeeeeee. Alll those sneaky smiles... i cant even. Why is he soooo adorable?? Gawddddddd. I swear this show is going to be the death of me. I dont know how many times i have replayed that apology scene. And they even have a song now. Haha. 

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Wow, everyone is so dressed up and looking pretty. For Joon Young's wedding?

I guess Koreans don't have that rule that only the bride wears white? :tongue:

I guess so. I have seen in different dramas that people (Women) goes to weddings dressed in white. It seem to be only a western usages that only the bride wears white. 

11 minutes ago, kokodus said:

This show never fails to impress me with their cliffhangers. The writers and directors behind are doing a really good job. You are left wanting more at the end of each ep which is a really good sign.  

Everyone has already said what i wanted to say, so i dont have much to contribute. But i do want to just squeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll at MY/JH development this week. He started to feel some feelings towards her. Eeeeeeeeeeeeee. Alll those sneaky smiles... i cant even. Why is he soooo adorable?? Gawddddddd. I swear this show is going to be the death of me. I dont know how many times i have replayed that apology scene. And they even have a song now. Haha. 

Me toooooo. I have replayed that scene many times...they look so nice and sweet and When they were in the kitchen having breakfast and she gave him the juice, his smile was priceless  OMG i am dying. in love cute cat

Despite not being able to get on board with the beating your grown, employed, independent daughter for living with her boyfriend (I get the sense that the problem is not about HY sleeping with her boyfriend but living with him) I have to give Kim Hae-Sook major props for her acting in the first five minutes of the episode.  She is always excellent but those first five minutes were amazing. 

While I have no issue with HY and CJH living together, I assume they know the society they live in and are willing to suffer the consequences when they come, I do agree with the comment above that CJH shouldn't live being supported by his mother (living in an apartment she pays for) if he is unwilling to live under her rules/stipulations. 

I agree with what others expressed here about how Mi Young apologized. It was so well done and eloquent she addressed all the issues including her own feelings and how she was not 100% okay with it but that she is seeing things from his point of view too . Full marks to the scriptwriter for showing us what a heartfelt apology looks like. The part where she said 'it broke her heart" his expression on hearing that well acted by Lee Joon and his serious expression gave so much weight to their conversation and their light hearted conversation after that to manage their relationship was very well crafted too. It gave a new closeness and levity after the serious conversation they had before. Very good development and might I say naturally done too. This drama is really hitting this out of the park.

Also loved how when he was acting all indignant when the Chairman (I think) asked about his relationship with Mi Young. It was so cute his automatic 'dongsaeng' label

@hushhh Kim Hae Sook is indeed an amazing actress. I have seen her in many dramas over the years and she manages to always bring an excellent level of acting chops. If you want to see a wonderful side to her, a fun loving housewife, watch 'Life is Beautiful' where she is paired with the actor who is Papa Byun here too once again as her husband. Her relationship with her mother in law in that drama was so good and fun to watch. I love her honestly one of the gems in Korean drama.

This is one of the reasons why Korean drama succeeds on so many levels they have a stable of very good actors that fill important roles like mothers,fathers and grandparents that have amazing skills and this raises the quality of their dramas. I watch many dramas from other countries too and sometimes the lack of good acting by supporting characters or the reliance on too much slapstick (not that it is bad per se) can really bring the quality down. I am not saying there are not good dramas from others countries at all but that the presence of better actors can really raise the quality of a drama significantly and one no amount of good looking leads can fix.

Finally, JH and MY have settled their misunderstanding.  I admire MY for admitting her mistake without hesitation and for asking a sincere apology from JH who rightfully deserve it.  But most of all, I’m so happy for JH that he has now a human being to talk to when he needs one instead of just talking to Al though it’s kinda cute.  He’s a lonely person who needs a friend, a human creature. LOL  I’m so excited for their blossoming friendship which we all know will eventually lead to romance.  Of course, they will be both confused to that strange feeling believing they’re siblings.  That will be the most exciting and anticipated moment of these two. At least for me.  :D

Archived