[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

@dejun At the beginning I thought she is going to be a good Empress too, like what's written in history. But apparently it's all for show only. She turns really ugly after Ruyi got send to the Cold Palace probably because she knows Qianlong never gave up on Ruyi, and one day, Ruyi is going to return back to his side. Knowing that Ruyi is a strong woman, I kind of think it's good that the Empress did so many scheming, as this will return Ruyi back to Qianlong side faster :P  Yes, Qianlong is a smart emperor. He's patient and never rush into decision. Teaching from his grandfather (KangXi) and father (YongZheng) probably etched in his mind strongly. He has 2 great 'teachers' and he knows what he need to do as an Emperor. Head of the whole country, and head of his harem. Looking at how the story goes, I might hate him later on for what he will do to his ladies despite knowing what's happening behind.. :tears:

12 hours ago, BellyButton said:

I think it is harder to manage the harem than country. :P Qianlong is quite a womanizer.

I love the sisterly love between Hailan and Ruyi.

Managing the harem and country seems interconnected. All his ladies family holds certain high/strong position within his government. If he protects one wife and neglect the other, it might affect the loyalty of his minister. Such a difficult position to be in.. and I wonder why many wants to fight for the Emperor's throne.. :rolleyes: 

4 hours ago, BellyButton said:

@dejun   Hmm is that hall where they all pray? 

I like when Hailan decided to beautify after the horrid treatment. You can see the slow change in her. She finally realise she has to smartened up to survive for herself and Ruyi's sake. 

I like her gradual changes too. But I thought the event that make her change seems too.. trivial. She had bigger challenges before like being forced to stripped in front of many but she never change. But after being stepped on her hand and humiliated by words she decided it's time to change? Or was it modified due to censor board? I read that there's a part where she's being forced to step on hot coals? 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually alot of stuff are toned down to pass the censor board. The author of Ruyi and Zhenhuan....

Spoiler

...can be quite cruel in her writing.

Remember in Zhenhuan, yi zhang hong? Where one's bones are smashed below the waist.

For Aruo's punishment....in the novel, Ruyi actually sentenced her to the cat torture....kept her and several wild cats in a sack and beat the cats from outside...imagine the cats would scratch the girl all over...only stop when blood start to flow from the sack.

This was changed to merely caning in the drama.

Discussed on a chinese show.

Original novel part on this :

https://novel101.com/novels/328179fb-1573-452c-9818-c5db8abecbbc/chapters/ijj

Lucky they toned down...it is more balanced this way.

@Cedric Ong  yeeks... so cruel method. :o  Really barbaric. I remember one of the methods was putting the woman in a jar and left to die slowly. 

Hailan is a naturally timid and kind person so it will take a lot of sufferings to change her. Also she was never in love with the Emperor and is not after power or wealth. I think her sisterly love for Ruyi and desperation to do something for her made her realise she has to be independent in fighting back.

@Cedric Ong  Thanks for sharing a bit of the story from the novel.  Bet this is why dramas are only adaptations and could not be translated fully from novels.  Too much of cruelty are bad for the audience.  Good moral values should be promoted first and foremost.

@cassiemissy  Omigosh!  Reached the part where the scheme of the Empress was too credulous for me to believe. :scream::rage:

Spoiler

Am shocked that Fuca actually schemed from the start in the form of a bracelet.  She actually fooled everyone except Jia.

Even both Hai Lan and Ruyi begin to scheme to protect themselves.  Qian Long finally exacted his plan but it took 3 years. :pensive:

2 hours ago, dejun said:

@Cedric Ong  Thanks for sharing a bit of the story from the novel.  Bet this is why dramas are only adaptations and could not be translated fully from novels.  Too much of cruelty are bad for the audience.  Good moral values should be promoted first and foremost.

It's kind of disturbing the kind of punishments that they came up with (in history). I still remember in Scarlet Heart, they steamed humans alive...

I really like the gradual change in character for Ruyi and Hai Lan. Those are the only 2 characters that I'm continuing to watch for. Yan Wan seems like a good person too so I'm kind of bummed at what her future holds.

Spoiler

I really hate Aruo right now. She has been with Ruyi since young and I feel she came from nowhere to treat Ruyi like that. Asides from wanting to become a concubine, the only thing Ruyi had against her was not saving her from kneeling in the rain but that was all because of Aruo's big mouth. Ruyi did all she could: stayed up late to write those scripts, preparing the doctor and a hot bath for when Aruo returned.

What do you guys think about the Empress's maid Lian Xin? I feel she had something to do with the Empress's son's death. She doesn't seem like she's totally on Ruyi's side though, at least not yet.

Dramas-With-a-Side-of-Kimchi-2.w28-4.png

Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace: Eps 1-3 Review

by Heisui

I got my head up in the clouds lately with my mind full of Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace (RRL).  I’m just so darn happy that the drama can finally see the light of day and I can finally watch it.  I’m gleefully gazing at the beautiful Wallace, Zhou Xun, and pretty much all of the supporting cast on my screen.  I’m basking in the cast’s superb acting chops.   And of course, I’m so glad that my all-time favorite c-drama, Legend of Zhen Huan (LZH; the prequel) now has a “sequel” in RRL.   RRL is not a perfect drama but I am by all means appreciating it.

More read up with credits at My Drama Tea

^_^  Review for Soompiers who want to find out if this series is worth their time.

12 hours ago, cassiemissy said:

I like her gradual changes too. But I thought the event that make her change seems too.. trivial. She had bigger challenges before like being forced to stripped in front of many but she never change. But after being stepped on her hand and humiliated by words she decided it's time to change? Or was it modified due to censor board? I read that there's a part where she's being forced to step on hot coals? 

Actually, Hailan did not change because she's being stepped on and humiliated. She changed because: 

1. When Hailan finished kneeling in the rain, she went to look for comfort in Ruyi and Ruyi told her to become stronger because with Ruyi in the Cold Palace, Hailan had no one to protect her anymore. She had to learn to protect herself.

2. After seeing Ruyi that night, she overheard Gui Fei and her maid talking about them framing Ruyi.

So you could say that Hailan changed because she's aware that she's the only one who can save Ruyi and take revenge on the ones that wronged her. Hailan has never particularly cared about her own suffering, how other women treat her has never been a problem. Hailan only changed because Ruyi was being harmed; everything she does has only ever been for Ruyi and Yongqi, never for herself.

9 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Also, Yanwan has never been a "good" girl. She's shown to be quite opportunistic and manipulative since the beginning. Poor Ling Yunche keeps being played by her.

Spoiler

yeah that girl seems too manipulative but i think the emperor likes these type of women.yanwan said she is almost 25 so im not surprised that she is acting like that and she will be worse in the future 

No doubt she suffered for the few years she was in the gardening department, and serving under Jia Fei (just saw in the last few episodes that Jia Fei is originally from Korea, and her surname is Kim), but she had always intended to seduce the Emperor.  Looks like she has achieved her dream in Ep. 36

Spoiler

Yan Wan teamed up with another eunuch serving the Emperor, who engineered opportunities for her to appear in front of him. Apparently, she looks a bit like Ru Yi, so that’s also why the Emperor took notice of her. A good thing that came out of this is now the Emperor dislikes Jia Fei after knowing that she purposely renamed YW Ying Er, which is the former name of Ru Yi, which is regarded as disrespectful. Ru Yi tried to help Ling Yun Che by giving YW the chance to leave the Palace and get married, but YW had bigger dreams and chose to stay in the Palace. Poor Ling Yun Che, who got dumped a second time. Not sure if Ru Yi did the right thing in helping to redeploy him to guard the Emperor ... he keeps seeing YW serving the Emperor now

Spoiler

I'm actually not sure why Ruyi did what she did. It seemed unnecessarily cruel for her to arrange for him to constantly see YW with the emperor but Ruyi isn't the kind of person who would be cruel for no reason.

That said, I used to like Jia Fei, but I don't like her that much after what she did to YW. Her sadism feels like an oversight, considering how conscientious and smart Jia Fei used to be. 

As far as YW goes, I know plenty of people dislike her, but I still like her so far. She seems to be smart and ambitious. She did betray and used someone who loved her, but this isn't exactly a story where love triumphs all (look at where love got Lady Shu), so I don't know why YW received so much hate for that.

Ruyi%2527s+Royal+Love+in+the+Palace.jpg

Since its debut, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace has achieved 3 billion views.

Photo credits to Dramapanda

I believe out of all the drama series this year, Ruyi's has the highest viewership achievement in such a short time.

I need to catch up with the rest of you for this show is now available up to 40 over episodes without sub.

43 minutes ago, outsanity said:
  Hide contents

I'm actually not sure why Ruyi did what she did. It seemed unnecessarily cruel for her to arrange for him to constantly see YW with the emperor but Ruyi isn't the kind of person who would be cruel for no reason.

That said, I used to like Jia Fei, but I don't like her that much after what she did to YW. Her sadism feels like an oversight, considering how conscientious and smart Jia Fei used to be. 

As far as YW goes, I know plenty of people dislike her, but I still like her so far. She seems  to be smart and ambitious. She did betray and used someone who loved her, but this isn't exactly a story where love triumphs all (look at where love got Lady Shu), so I don't know why YW received so much hate for that.

Spoiler

A lot of people hate YW because they know that she  will be the cause of ruyi's death in the future.

I will be rooting for her even though i like ruyi more ,but as far as i see her being manipulated by those little devil eunuch i will just drop her. 

I am.watching the drama so excuse if I misinterpret the scenes.   Some scenes which capture my attention .. 

Spoiler

Empress Dowager is an old hand on scheming as she saw through Ruyi's plot in poisoning herself to get herself out of the cold palace. The old woman gives me the creeps.  She is the smartest of them all.

Ruyi and Hailan are wising up.  Happy for them. What did Dr say about the medication given to Hailan in ep28? Who did it? 

Why did they saw Hailan's stretch marks? Lol.

46 minutes ago, Josephine Safowaa said:
  Hide contents

A lot of people hate YW because they know that she  will be the cause of ruyi's death in the future.

I will be rooting for her even though i like ruyi more ,but as far as i see her being manipulated by those little devil eunuch i will just drop her. 

Considering this author's writing style and general character building, I doubt Ruyi's death will be that black and white, though.

Yeah, I didn't really like that part. Felt a bit ...eehhh... I would've preferred her to use her own intelligence or wit to catch the emperor's attention. 

5 minutes ago, BellyButton said:

I am.watching the drama so excuse if I misinterpret the scenes.   Some scenes which capture my attention .. 

Hide contents

Empress Dowager is an old hand on scheming as she saw through Ruyi's plot in poisoning herself to get herself out of the cold palace. The old woman gives me the creeps.  She is the smartest of them all.

Ruyi and Hailan are wising up.  Happy for them. What did Dr say about the medication given to Hailan in ep28? Who did it? 

Why did they saw Hailan's stretch marks? Lol.

Have you seen Zhen Huan Zhuan (the prequel)? The empress dowager was the ultimate winner of the 1st show and she was extremely smart, even before she became "evil" 

1 hour ago, outsanity said:
  Hide contents

As far as YW goes, I know plenty of people dislike her, but I still like her so far. She seems to be smart and ambitious. She did betray and used someone who loved her, but this isn't exactly a story where love triumphs all (look at where love got Lady Shu), so I don't know why YW received so much hate for that.

Ruyi wants to give Yunche a constant reminder of who YW really is, so that he can completely move on from her. She has warned him about YW a few times already, but he didn't listen to her, so she probably thinks he needed a hard lesson.

As for YW, she's not so bad right now, but the fact that she tries several times to seduce the Emperor shows that she's not the simple girl everyone think she is. In fact, she eventually ends up at the top is because everyone (including Ruyi) underestimate her, partly because of her innocent, harmless appearance (Hailan is the only one who sees through YW from the beginning, but Ruyi's unwilling to listen). Novel fans hate her because she constantly targets Ruyi and Yunche in her schemes, for no actual valid reason other than jealousy and paranoia.

Spoiler

She murders 2/3 of Ruyi's children and ultimately pushes Ruyi to the point of killing herself. She deliberately harms Yunche at least a couple of times, to the point of Hailan having to grant him death to end his suffering and protect Ruyi.

Yuyan (Jia) is indeed evil, but she has a sad backstory, an emotional motivation and most importantly, she has class. Can't say the same about YW, she's the type who's willing to go as low as she can to achieve her goals. That's why ppl hate her so much, there's basically no redeeming quality about this woman.

I'm speaking from a novel fan POV, the drama may attempt to redeem her a little, so you never know :huh:

13 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Ruyi wants to give Yunche a constant reminder of who YW really is, so that he can completely move on from her. She has warned him about YW a few times already, but he didn't listen to her, so she probably thinks he needed a hard lesson.

As for YW, she's not so bad right now, but the fact that she tries several times to seduce the Emperor shows that she's not the simple girl everyone think she is. In fact, she eventually ends up at the top is because everyone (including Ruyi) underestimate her, partly because of her innocent, harmless appearance (Hailan is the only one who sees through YW from the beginning, but Ruyi's unwilling to listen). Novel fans hate her because she constantly targets Ruyi and Yunche in her schemes, for no actual valid reason other than jealousy and paranoia.

Hide contents

She murders 2/3 of Ruyi's children and ultimately pushes Ruyi to the point of killing herself. She deliberately harms Yunche at least a couple of times, to the point of Hailan having to grant him death to end his suffering and protect Ruyi.

Yuyan (Jia) is indeed evil, but she has a sad backstory, an emotional motivation and most importantly, she has class. Can't say the same about YW, she's the type who's willing to go as low as she can to achieve her goals. That's why ppl hate her so much, there's basically no redeeming quality about this woman.

I'm speaking from a novel fan POV, the drama may attempt to redeem her a little, so you never know :huh:

Thank you for explaining several things and whatnot!

I actually had this inkling of an idea that Ruyi was jealous because she was ever so slightly attracted to Yunche. It feels like there's a bit of romance/sexual tension between them. Fueled by the lip/skin action where Yunche sucking poison out of Ruyi's wrist. 

I see why YW is lowly. She lacks this natural grace/elegance that consort and noble ladies have. Well, in the show, YW was constantly reminded of how she looks like Ruyi and that was partially why Consort Jia tortured her so much. YW probably hates Ruyi for that reason, among others. 

I don't like her as a person, per say, but as a character....she's bound to be entertaining. Especially when you know she's going to be an ultimate winner (in the sense that her son became the emperor). Contrasting Ruyi/Fuca Campress/Consort Jia and etc who had their future handed to them because they were born from a noble family. 

Empress Dowager had been through all the scheming and she’s the oldest among these ladies. Of course she can see through them because once she might be the victim, or even did the same before herself. :ph34r:

YW is trying to climb above her lowly status. She knows she need a lot of effort to be able to be ‘master’ instead of servant. And to do that I guess she don’t care the sacrifices she has to make. Her feeling to Yunche probably is puppy love from young, and she look at him as a back up while she looks for better future. He’s just her stepping stone after all. When one fall in love, they can see well, goes the same to both man and woman. :tears: 

3 hours ago, dejun said:

Ruyi%2527s+Royal+Love+in+the+Palace.jpg

Since its debut, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace has achieved 3 billion views.

Photo credits to Dramapanda

I believe out of all the drama series this year, Ruyi's has the highest viewership achievement in such a short time.

I need to catch up with the rest of you for this show is now available up to 40 over episodes without sub.

I wasn’t following most of the other drama statistic. So 3 billions views are a great thing? It’s only half way and already 3 billions. The number is slightly scary.. haha

im only up to ep28... need to watch faster :P

98a46c03ly1fv1dz8dy9uj21900ty148.jpg

The casts and director all present for a meet and greet press event yesterday. 

Archived