[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, dejun said:

I enjoyed her role every time she came into the scene.  She's really good as an actress.  As Noble Lady Jia later Concubine rank, she was very subtle in her schemes and it works each time though with different results.  Although she's wicked I can't help but admire her for usually that's the way tactics were used in war.

I thought I was the only one who really liked her! Yeah, her tactic and style reminds me of post-monastery Zhen Huan. Her dialogue is also subtle and layered with double meanings and intentions. The actress pulled everything off really well.

Also like that the Wei girl finally appeared (She ends up as the 3rd Empress according to wiki spoilers?) I'm intrigued to see how she develops from lowly maid to empress in this messy, scheme-y place. 

See that Noble Consort Gao will soon die in the coming episodes. I didn't like her as a person, but I feel so bad for her and the way the trailers depicted her death. If there's one thing the writer does brilliantly, it's writing these tragically misguided villains.

@gaia2  You are truly fortunate.  Recaps for eps 1-2 just published yesterday by Bamboo. :D

Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace: Episodes 1-2 Recap

posted by Bamboo on September 03, 2018

FullSizeRender_2+%252810%2529.jpg

I started watching this year's second big Qing Dynasty drama. Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace leaves a very different impression from Story of Yanxi Palace, which had chronicled the path of one of Qianlong Emperor's consorts, Consort Ling, from palace seamstress to Imperial Noble Consort. 

Being the sequel to the story, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace is more in the mold of Legend of Zhen Huan, where the focus rests on the women and workings of the Inner Palace, as the Emperor's consorts and concubines strive and scheme against one another to gain favor and rise to the top. Hopefully, our female lead is able to navigate her way in the Palace well as in this drama, I expect to see plenty of plotting, "good" women turning into villains, and backstabbing.

The female leads from the two dramas also could not be more different. In Story of Yanxi Palace, Consort Ling is from a lower class family. Although she is witty and intelligence, her forthright personality is often considered disrespectful, especially in a place which values propriety and restraint. On the other hand, Ruyi comes from the prominent Ulanara clan, which already has one member as the current Empress. Ruyi is polite, demonstrates strong filial piety, and understands well the rules and protocol of the Inner Palace. When the drama begins, she and the Qianlong Emperor are very much in love, and it will be interesting to see how that relationship evolves.

Read further for recaps below.

Credits to Dramapanda blog: Eps 1-2 Recaps of Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace

Frankly, I wanted to watch Yanxi because in My Fair Princess, Consort Ling was such a nice person but was sorely disappointed with typical predictive plot.  My Fair Princess I and II, Scarlet Heart (BBJX) and Ruyi's are all great dramas that reflect Qing dynasty more accurately in my opinion.

At first it was hard for me to get into Ruyi after watching Yanxi Palace but now I am hooked and have gotten used to things. My favorite character so far is Hailan and cannot wait to see her start to fight back. I like Ruyi as well and have gotten used to Zhou Xun -- her acting does indeed shine. I'm already dreading the ending.

As far as cold palace, I read that it's not actually a place within the palace. If you were banished there, it just meant that you were cut off from the rest of the palace with less servants and service (if at all). However from watching Ruyi spoiler videos, it seems like they made it an actual abandoned place where banished people went. :blink:

4 hours ago, gaia2 said:

Have any recaps been done for this drama? Would appreciate links to episode recaps in English  :) 

Not that I know of.  Oops. Saw dejun's post late. Sorry.

@Sobayaki  The cold palace might really be part of the actual palaces ground. The real palace is super big and some parts not opened to public. Not sure whether the inside of the room is part of it. I remember visiting the garden palace and another resting place where it was pretty run down. 

@outsanity  Yes. The characters were very well written and multi dimensional. It is not pure evil vs goodness. Like Kuei Fei, her remose and final caring thought for her faithful maid touched my heart. She is bad but not pure evil.

I we look into the current harem line up, here are my thoughts:

Empress - an insecure, sly and two-faced woman. Initially she was like this good but unfavoured wife but that bracelet incident.... I was fooled. She also made the bad decision of marrying her maid to the eunuch.

Lady Guo - I think she is a very forthright character which made her oblivious to the empress's and Lady Jia's schemes. We also see that QL is not that fond of her.

Lady Jia - applause for her scheming skills. I like how she is always cool while sowing discord among the wives. She reminded me abit of Jiang Xin in Zhen Huan.

Lady Hailan - a bit timid. But she definitely stepped up when Ruyi was sent to the cold palace. A very loyal friend to Ruyi.

Bai something - a b****. But I love to watch her outspokenness

2 hours ago, dejun said:

@gaia2  You are truly fortunate.  Recaps for eps 1-2 just published yesterday by Bamboo. :D

Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace: Episodes 1-2 Recap

posted by Bamboo on September 03, 2018

FullSizeRender_2+%252810%2529.jpg

I started watching this year's second big Qing Dynasty drama. Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace leaves a very different impression from Story of Yanxi Palace, which had chronicled the path of one of Qianlong Emperor's consorts, Consort Ling, from palace seamstress to Imperial Noble Consort. 

Being the sequel to the story, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace is more in the mold of Legend of Zhen Huan, where the focus rests on the women and workings of the Inner Palace, as the Emperor's consorts and concubines strive and scheme against one another to gain favor and rise to the top. Hopefully, our female lead is able to navigate her way in the Palace well as in this drama, I expect to see plenty of plotting, "good" women turning into villains, and backstabbing.

The female leads from the two dramas also could not be more different. In Story of Yanxi Palace, Consort Ling is from a lower class family. Although she is witty and intelligence, her forthright personality is often considered disrespectful, especially in a place which values propriety and restraint. On the other hand, Ruyi comes from the prominent Ulanara clan, which already has one member as the current Empress. Ruyi is polite, demonstrates strong filial piety, and understands well the rules and protocol of the Inner Palace. When the drama begins, she and the Qianlong Emperor are very much in love, and it will be interesting to see how that relationship evolves.

Read further for recaps below.

Credits to Dramapanda blog: Eps 1-2 Recaps of Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace

Frankly, I wanted to watch Yanxi because in My Fair Princess, Consort Ling was such a nice person but was sorely disappointed with typical predictive plot.  My Fair Princess I and II, Scarlet Heart (BBJX) and Ruyi's are all great dramas that reflect Qing dynasty more accurately in my opinion.

@dejun :D

Thks! Hehe now must wait and hope for recaps for rest of episodes so I will know what's happening. They are showing upto epi 20 already?

On maplestage, it's showing up to episode 30. However, it seems like episodes are paced differently compared to trailers on youtube? 

Ep 28 is approximately when the king punishes/berates/humiliates Ah Ruo and reveals how much he hated her all along - right after promoting her, lol.  

Spoiler

hmmmm when i look at the way the emperor handled Aurou case , i can see that he is as crafty and manipulative as his wives and he knows a lot of the shady  things that happens in the palace.I'm very happy that he got to the bottom of the poisoning case but i feel uneasy instead of happy of how Aurou ended .When you watch the trailer you can see that how the emperor treated Arou at the end will not be any different from the  how he is gonna treat consort xian when he stop being fond of her.He even slapped her in one of the scenes .

When the emperor helps consort  xian gets back at those people who bullied her,im not that touched or impress because today he is doing it for  her and tomorrow time he will do the same for another person.

16 hours ago, outsanity said:

On maplestage, it's showing up to episode 30. However, it seems like episodes are paced differently compared to trailers on youtube? 

Ep 28 is approximately when the king punishes/berates/humiliates Ah Ruo and reveals how much he hated her all along - right after promoting her, lol.  

When I watch how the Emperor openly caressed Aruo in front of the dagger eyed Empress, Aruo is in deep sh#t.  The emperor can be manipulative. 

Been trying to catch up to episode 24 and so far enjoying the slow and steady storyline. It’s refreshing to see not only the concubines can scheme but also the Emperor. In palace drama, we usually see ladies fighting openly or hidden between themselves to get the Emperor but in Ruyi, the Emperor knows what’s happening, wanted to help a Ruyi but couldn’t do it too openly as he needs to beware of his position and his governments power. He is scheming too! :lol:

And the the part where he lost his child is so heartbreaking to watch. He knows that growing up in the palace is tough and he couldn’t believe his son couldn’t get through as well.. and he is the Emperor. So powerless when these happen.. 

Spoiler

Though the Empress is kinda to blame for pushing her son too much... :dissapointed_relieved:

006muEijly1fuqg5yvsy1g30go09cu0z.gif006muEijly1fuqg6hnbt1g30go09c4qy.gif

Back in those days, marriage at 15/16 years old is normal, some even younger. Around 13... :confused: and not to mentioned they can’t choose their partner especially if they are of royally or noble family... poor family might have it worse.. sell their daughter off to rich family as maid or concubine to feed the entire family... 

On 9/4/2018 at 12:39 PM, outsanity said:

I thought I was the only one who really liked her! Yeah, her tactic and style reminds me of post-monastery Zhen Huan. Her dialogue is also subtle and layered with double meanings and intentions. The actress pulled everything off really well.

Also like that the Wei girl finally appeared (She ends up as the 3rd Empress according to wiki spoilers?) I'm intrigued to see how she develops from lowly maid to empress in this messy, scheme-y place. 

I like the actress who acted as Concubine Jia as well as she a good actress from the few dramas I have seen of her but in this role, she's much better.  Indeed, she knows how to persuade others without her getting her blood on her hands.  I take my hat off for her!

Yan Wan looked so nice and good at her first appearance but she desired to climb the ladder of power for her family's sake, thus abandon her beau. :confused:

On 9/4/2018 at 5:57 PM, dzareth said:

I we look into the current harem line up, here are my thoughts:

Empress - an insecure, sly and two-faced woman. Initially she was like this good but unfavoured wife but that bracelet incident.... I was fooled. She also made the bad decision of marrying her maid to the eunuch.

Lady Guo - I think she is a very forthright character which made her oblivious to the empress's and Lady Jia's schemes. We also see that QL is not that fond of her.

Lady Jia - applause for her scheming skills. I like how she is always cool while sowing discord among the wives. She reminded me abit of Jiang Xin in Zhen Huan.

Lady Hailan - a bit timid. But she definitely stepped up when Ruyi was sent to the cold palace. A very loyal friend to Ruyi.

Bai something - a b****. But I love to watch her outspokenness

Yes, at first I thought the Empress will be a good person.  In ep 24, 

Spoiler

she has become so petty and mean for she can't even let go of Ruyi who is already in cold palace.  I don't get it!  She's already in the highest position and has the best of everything so why can't she leave Ruyi alone.  All because both Qian Long and Ruyi are very close towards one another?

On 9/4/2018 at 6:43 PM, gaia2 said:

Thks! Hehe now must wait and hope for recaps for rest of episodes so I will know what's happening. They are showing upto epi 20 already?

This show already aired up to ep 32.  I don't know recaps will continue or not.

23 hours ago, cassiemissy said:

Been trying to catch up to episode 24 and so far enjoying the slow and steady storyline. It’s refreshing to see not only the concubines can scheme but also the Emperor. In palace drama, we usually see ladies fighting openly or hidden between themselves to get the Emperor but in Ruyi, the Emperor knows what’s happening, wanted to help a Ruyi but couldn’t do it too openly as he needs to beware of his position and his governments power. He is scheming too! :lol:

Yes, this Emperor is a very smart one and of course, he figured out to a certain extent what could happen, otherwise he will not be well known in history.  He's also bidding his time where he could punish those who are guilty when opportunity arise though some sacrifices had to be made due to balance of power at court and in the harem.

@BellyButton Country is definitely more difficult to handle but he has many ministers to help him.  In harem, it's Empress' duty to do so with help from Empress Dowager at times but this Empress is also involved in the conspiracy that's why there's no peace in the harem.  She on the other hand drags the Emperor into the conflicts.  The emperor has to pretend to be nice to every concubine so there won't be more conflicts and unrest in the harem. :weary:

Both Hai Lan and Ruyi's sisterhood overwhelms me for they are as close knit as biological family ties. :love:

About the Hall of Mental Cultivation in Ruyi's, its originally used for state affairs by emperor historically but in this drama it served as a resting place.

More read up here: About Hall of Mental CultivationActual Hall of Mental Cultivation

Archived