[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

one more negative article...

'Legend of the Blue Sea' criticized for poor editing

By Park Jin-hai

SNS's much-anticipated star-studded fantasy romance "Legend of the Blue Sea" has been criticized for bad editing.

The newly launched drama which aired its first two episodes last week features big-name stars Jun Ji-hyun (Sim Cheong) and Lee Min-ho (Huh Jun-jae). The love story between a mermaid and a conman was slammed by viewers for its loose plot and lack of chemistry between its main characters

In terms of viewership ratings, the drama didn't do as poorly. Its first episode hit 16.4 percent and its second episode aired last Thursday recorded 15.1 percent.

However, many viewers have since expressed their disappointment with the much-hyped drama. The drama's online message board has seen comments calling the drama distracting and childish.

When special director's cuts of the two episodes were aired over the weekend, with a full 16 extra minutes of footage, viewers raised the editing problem.

"When I watched the director's cut, I learned that some important scenes had been cut out," commented a viewer online. "If the director's cut was aired the first time around, it may have been way better received."

Missing scenes in the first episode included people talking about the mermaid and scenes telling how a young Joseon nobleman sets the mermaid free. The deleted scenes explain how the nobleman is connected to the modern-day genius conman character later appearing in the episode, both played by Lee.

Also, some romantic scenes, such as Lee explaining the meaning of human words "love" and "I'm hungry" to the mermaid, have been trimmed down.

"Editing made it a whole different drama. It was a B-rated drama and when the director's cut came out, it became a drama worth watching," said a viewer named Kim Jung-mi on the program bulletin board. "Were the long chase scenes and reckless product placement scenes more important than making the story more relevant and building up characters?"

Overall, so far, it seems the actors have overwhelmed the characters. Actress Jun, swimming under the waves, is a beauty and the handsome couple against the background of picturesque Spain is pleasing to the eye.

But it gives the impression the drama has focused more on showing how beautiful those two stars are rather than giving more time to make them appealing.

It is a pity that the two initial episodes reminded the viewers of the two stars' previous characters from the past ― Sim Chung's spaghetti-eating scene and copying the pose of the traffic-light man in a crosswalk signal are reminiscent of "My Sassy Girl" (2001). Huh Jun-jae's character mostly overlapped with Lee's earlier role of Kim Tan in "The Heirs" (2013).

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2016/11/201_218667.html

• Like 4

Jun Ji-Hyun's act of kindness lights up 'The Legend of the Blue Sea' set; SBS drama maintains top spot in viewership ratings

• Spoiler

Lee Min-Ho and Jun Ji-Hyun star in the SBS drama 'The Legend of the Blue Sea.'

Lee Min-Ho and Jun Ji-Hyun star in the SBS drama 'The Legend of the Blue Sea.' (Photo : YouTube/Sreyneang)

Jun Ji-Hyun, 35, is getting praise for more than just her acting skills. "The Legend of the Blue Sea" staff members complimented the actress for her considerate and friendly personality while filming the SBS drama.

Like Us on Facebook

Jun's act of kindness came to light when a staff from the SBS drama spilled the beans to All Kpop. The staff narrates Jun's benevolence when they were filming several scenes in Spain. It is said Jun stayed with the stunt actors until they completed filming the scene.

The scene being referred to showed the actress' character rolling off the staircase. She was also lauded for staying on site until all the stunt scenes were filmed, encouraging the actors on every step of the way and cheering them as soon as they finished everything.

What truly impressed the staff is that Jun never lost her bright smile even when she was filming a difficult underwater scene. When there are NG (No Good) takes, the veteran actress apparently remained lighthearted, making sure to keep the staff members at ease.

This is not the first time Jun was praised for her kind and warm personality. In 2014, a staff of "You Who Came from the Stars" lauded the actress for not showing that she was drained even though she was. It added, "Not only Jun is a good actress, but she also has the best personality."

Meanwhile, "The Legend of the Blue Sea" has continued to top viewership ratings ever since it premiered on Nov. 16. The third episode of the SBS drama, which aired on Nov. 23, Wednesday, had an average audience share of 19.6 percent.

The SBS drama is expected to gain higher ratings after the fourth episode. The next episode will feature Jun and Cha Tae-Hyun's, both of whom appeared on 2001's "My Sassy Girl," much-awaited reunion after 15 years, Soompi reported.

Not much is known about Cha's role, but he is expected to appear alongside Jun. The said cameo appearance of the actor is intended to show support to his former on-screen lover and screenwriter Park Ji-Eun, whom he had worked with in 2015's "The Producers."

Despite working together for the first time in 15 years, Cha and Jun still had an astounding on-screen chemistry. It is said that the Hallyu stars filmed their scenes in mid-November.

http://en.yibada.com/articles/175205/20161124/jun-ji-hyun-act-kindness-lights-up-legend-blue-sea.htm

I am so happy for their succes...my total respect for her...

• Like 8

Lee Min Ho drama ‘Legend of the Blue Sea’ posts steady ratings despite plagiarism controversies

Lee Min Ho's drama "Legend of the Blue Sea" premiered with strong ratings, however, many critics slammed the series over plagiarism claims. Despite the controversy, the SBS drama's viewership ratings continued its steady climb to the 20 percent mark.

Like Us on Facebook

"Legend of the Blue Sea" gave fans the chance to see their favorite South Korean celebrities Lee and Jun Ji Hyun back on the small screens. With a storyline about the mermaid Shim Chung (Jun) falling in love with the con man Joon Jae (Lee), several critics bashed the SBS drama for copying a few plot lines and filming styles from a Hollywood film and a British TV series.

The scenes that featured Joon Jae assessing details of another person's body part or clothing were similar to how the British TV series "Sherlock" depicted the iconic detective's keen observation skills, according to Korea Herald. Close up shots of a particular part of a body, item or clothing mixed with sequences that showed the protagonist observing its subject was a filming technique utilized in the said British series.

Jun's depiction of a mermaid learning how to act in a human world was also called out by critics who claimed that it was similar to the Hollywood film "Splash." Released in 1984, the said film featured a mermaid who saved a young man from drowning and was introduced to the world outside of the ocean.

The "Legend of the Blue Sea" scene that involved Shim Chung incorrectly eating a dish echoed a similar sequence in "Splash," as indicated in the same report. Critics also claimed that some of the ways that Shim Chung tried to acclimatize to her new environment were nearly the same as the Hollywood movie.

Despite the plagiarism controversy, Lee and Jun's drama posted strong viewership ratings. Its first episode registered nationwide TV ratings of 16.4 percent, according to Nielsen Korea, as cited by OSEN. However, the SBS drama's episode 2 ratings fell to 15.1 percent, while episode 3 ratings moved up to 15.7 percent.

Meanwhile, the SBS drama's premiere episode registered impressive ratings in Singapore and Malaysia. Released on the cable channel ONE, the first episode of "Legend of the Blue Sea" outperformed the drama "Scarlet Heart Ryeo," according to Rapid TV News. Viewership shares of Lee and Jun's drama were higher by 52 percent and 84 percent in Singapore and Malaysia, respectively.

http://en.yibada.com/articles/175217/20161124/lee-min-ho-legend-of-the-blue-sea-sbs-jun-ji-hyun.htm

ALL I CAN SAY IS:CONGRATULATIONS!I'M SO HAPPY THEY ARE STILL THE BEST EVEN AFTER SO MANY NEGATIVE ARTICLES!FIGHTING!

• Like 9

Hi guys...finally saw ep 3

It was kind of hard...he didn't remember but was feeling strange as something was missing...and her being sad coz she had to let him go...when she was looking at him and ocean...it's so hard for her to choose but she still can't let go of him :(

So this love keeps going from their young age...their long story just have to touch your heart ...really hope they'll have a happy end

She ate those fishes :P...and it's not nice of her...but their encounter with hers teary eyes was so touching...i forgive her ;)

That girl that brought him his mother's food but lied she made it...don't like her way

Felt sorry for him and his mother...being close but still separated :(

Subs for today's ep r still not out right? Hard to wait...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, andy78 said:

I do like your effort for keeping us updated and my like only goes for you only chingu :)

...but won't read this article

Seems to me there is to many negative comments about this drama from the start..i'm sure that along the way i'll have objections of my own, always do on every drama, but it's to early for now...and find those articles a bit annoying...like someone wants to ruin the drama from the start :rolleyes:

...but i think it won't work...i like it very much so far :wub:

• Like 4

"The Legend of the Blue Sea" Comes in First

photo788177.jpg

"The Legend of the Blue Sea" increased in percentage once again.

According to Nielsen Korea, the SBS drama "The Legend of the Blue Sea" rated 17.1%. This is 1.4% more than the previous episode.

KBS 2TV drama "Oh My Geum-bi" came in second with 5.2%.

MBC drama "Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo" came in lasy with 4.6%.

However, "Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo" increased by 0.2% and "Oh My Geum-bi" dropped by 0.5%.

http://www.hancinema.net/the-legend-of-the-blue-sea-comes-in-first-100823.html

• Like 4

1:17 am at my place...to tired to write much now..but have to say this after ep 4...no matter how many times they separate, no matter how many times she deletes his memory of her...the moment he sees her again he becomes weak on her...really destined to be together those two :wub:

• Like 6

Yoon Mirae Sings “You Are My World” In “The Legend Of The Blue Sea” OST

Following up on her successful OST for “Descendants for the Sun” earlier this year, singer and rapper Yoon Mirae brings her sweet vocals back for the new SBS drama “The Legend of the Blue Sea.”

“You Are My World” is the second part of the OST for the drama, which stars Lee Min Ho as a conman and Jun Ji Hyun as a mermaid in an epic time-skipping fantasy. The first part of the OST was “Love Story” by Lyn.

Despite some comic scenes in the drama so far, both Lyn and Yoon Mirae’s OSTs hit all the emotional beats with crooning vocals and soaring orchestral instrumentals.

http://www.soompi.com/2016/11/24/watch-yoon-mirae-sings-world-legend-blue-sea-mv/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SBS YT: LOTBS Episode 5 Preview  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Legend of the Blue Sea" Jeon Ji-hyeon and Lee Min-ho start living together and Seong Dong-il appears

photo788180.jpg

Jeon Ji-hyeon and Lee Min-ho reunited and they started living together. Meanwhile, Seong Dong-il started threatening Lee Min-ho.

On the fourth episode of the SBS drama "The Legend of the Blue Sea", Heo Joon-jae (Lee Min-ho) and the mermaid (Jeon Ji-hyeon) reunited. Joon-jae acknowledged her after finding out he'd been with her in Spain and she was glad to see him.

However, she'd erased his memory so Joon-jae didn't remember her. He asked her why they were together and when she wouldn't answer, he tried to get rid of her. The mermaid followed him and Joon-jae saved her when she almost got hurt. They watched fireworks together and seemed to have gotten closer.

photo788181.jpg

The mermaid had nowhere to go because she'd come to Seoul just to find Joon-jae. She asked him if she could go to his house and although he tried to get rid of her, he took her to his home eventually. While he was with her, he kept recalling moments he spent with her in Spain. He also remembered her telling him "I love you" after erasing his memory.

Joon-jae made a name for the mermaid; Sim-cheong which meant 'seriously dumb'. The mermaid was happy.

They started living together. Now Joon-jae, Jo Nam-doo, Tae-oh (Sin Won-ho) and the mermaid lived together. Sim-cheong followed Joon-jae around and he couldn't shut her out so he gave her a place to sleep and made sure she ate. He was also curious about meeting her in Spain.

On the other hand, Joon-jae's step mother used Ma Dae-yeong (Seong Dong-il) to threaten Joon-jae. She was planning on making her son the heir. She ordered Ma Dae-yeong to find out where Joon-jae lives and kill him.

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-the-legend-of-the-blue-sea-jeon-ji-hyeon-and-lee-min-ho-start-living-together-and-seong-dong-il-appears-100824.html

• Like 6