Movies: FIRST and LAST

CamelKnight

Y again? I'm stumped. 

Young blood? Was there a show named Young blood?

You only live TWICE.  (thanks @TRaNz!) 

-- James Bond movie

2 hours ago, fikachuuu said:

The remains of the day

Ooh. I liked this one. What remained at the end of the day was a sense of waste because he imprisoned himself in that life of servitude. He chose to live apart from the only woman who loved him.  

4 hours ago, phikyl said:

Some Like it Hot

Isn't this the one with Marilyn Monroe singing "Boo Boo Bee Doooo"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Isn't this the one with Marilyn Monroe singing "Boo Boo Bee Doooo"

Yes, yes it is! :lol:

I'm a sucker for black and whites, especially if they have Marilyn or Audrey in them. :wub:

Ever After 

Ratatouille

The rats in this are so cute. Too bad in real life they are not as cute. Not sure I would want to eat at a restaurant run by rats..:sweatingbullets:

6 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Ooh. I liked this one. What remained at the end of the day was a sense of waste because he imprisoned himself in that life of servitude. He chose to live apart from the only woman who loved him.  

It's sad that he had to put aside his happiness for the sake of service to others. I was especially sad at the scene where he he didn't properly grieve his father's death (even though it was obvious it affected him) but carried on with his job as if nothing's happened. )':

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

- It's said that ignorance is bliss. Ignorance = spotless mind. Bliss = eternal sunshine. 

Thus, the lead characters have their memories of their unhappy love affair erased. But is it truly achievable to live a life without pain, sorrow or regrets? Is it even desirable to live a life without pain, sorrow or regrets? B)

3 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

- It's said that ignorance is bliss. Ignorance = spotless mind. Bliss = eternal sunshine. 

Thus, the lead characters have their memories of their unhappy love affair erased. But is it truly achievable to live a life without pain, sorrow or regrets? Is it even desirable to live a life without pain, sorrow or regrets? B)

That movie was so thought provoking! I remember debating with myself for days over whether it would be worth it to forget memories just to get rid of the pain caused by them. Because they weren't just getting rid of the bad memories, they were forgetting the good ones too!

Desperado

1 hour ago, phikyl said:

That movie was so thought provoking! I remember debating with myself for days over whether it would be worth it to forget memories just to get rid of the pain caused by them. Because they weren't just getting rid of the bad memories, they were forgetting the good ones too!

Desperado

Oliver! 

-I was shocked to see the Mark Lester, the child actor in Oliver, in the news claiming that he was the biological father (sperm donor) of Michael Jackson's children. The connection was too random for me. 

@phikyl

In a way, the movie Eternal Sunshine romanticized Alzheimer's Disease. Really. When you think about it, that's what AD does: remove memories both bad AND good. And nobody's looking forward to THAT sort of memory erasure. 

Me? I'll keep my memories. Though I've ruined designer mascara and acquired crow's-feet wrinkles over the bad memories, they're part of me now. :)

National Treasure.

I like movies with a mystery that the protagonists have to solve by going through different cities and acquiring clues to solve the puzzle. It’s kinda like the Indiana Jones series.

BTW, the Declaration of Independence will be stored in a steel and concrete vault in the National Archives. It’s one of three documents which will be preserved in case of a national calamity like a nuclear holocaust. The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights are the other two documents.

The “romantic” rationale for preserving these documents is that, even if the whole American continent is destroyed (like Atlantis or Troy), there will exist a proof to surviving humanity (or visiting aliens, lol) that there was once a great civilization here on earth called the United States of America. :) 

Emma 

My favorite one was the 2009 Emma (although it's a BBC production, not a movie).

The hardcore fans were grousing that this version wasn't as true to the text as previous adaptations. I actually liked it because it showed a different interpretation of Mr. Knightley's character without straying too far from the canon. 

(The height difference -- what height difference?? -- should have been a hint to feminists. lol)

b15787f1b7acb6bd5257ddf766ddf7f7.jpg

Daddy Long Legs

with Leslie Caron and Fred Astaire

I recall being under-whelmed by this movie version of a classic May-December story. Maybe because Fred Astaire looked too old and creepy with his skull-like head when I was watching it. 

Image result for daddy long legs movie fred astaire

Archived