[Drama 2016] The Good Wife 굿 와이프

larus

After School's Nana reveals thoughts on viewers' reactions to 'Good Wife'

Spoiler

Nana_1469673424_af_org.jpg

After School's Nana revealed her thoughts on the viewers' reactions to her currently airing drama, 'Good Wife'.

Currently, Nana is gaining a great many compliments for her outstanding performance as Kim Dan in the tvN drama. When asked to share her thoughts on the positive reactions, Nana stated, "I've never received so many positive comments, since debut." 

She continued, "The staff, the director, the sunbaenims, and my parents are more happy for me. I'm so glad, and it makes me very happy too. The reactions make me want to work harder with modesty. I should do my best until the very end, and show an even better side of me."  

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/07/after-schools-nana-reveals-thoughts-on-viewers-reactions-to-good-wife

I'M HAPPY FOR HER!!!

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 28, 2016

K-dramatized ‘Good Wife’ is expressive, direct

Director and actors of Korean remake opted to be straightforward instead of subtle 

The popular U.S. legal drama “The Good Wife” starts out with its heroine Alicia Florrick, played by Juliana Margulies, standing rigidly next to her disgraced politician husband at a press conference, her expression unfathomable. 

The show which aired from 2009 to May this year traced Florrick’s growth as she heads out into the workplace to support her family when her husband is sent to prison, after 15 years as a stay-at-home wife. 

Margulies’ nuanced portrayal of the heroine’s steely composure coupled with a vulnerability that seeps through has won her numerous awards, including a Golden Globe and an Emmy.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, who plays housewife-turned-attorney Kim Hye-kyung in tvN’s “The Good Wife,” the Korean remake of an American legal drama of the same title, poses for a photo before a press conference in Seoul Thursday. (CJ E&M)

In the show’s Korean remake, also titled “Good Wife,” which began July 8 and will air for 16 episodes on cable channel tvN, Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon takes up the role, renamed Kim Hye-Kyung. What is different is Jeon chooses passion and expression over inscrutable subtlety in relaying the character. 

“(Alicia) seemed reserved and distant. When I read the Korean script, I imagined (Hye-kyung) as the complete opposite,” said Jeon at a press conference for the show in western Seoul on Thursday. “I thought a more expressive character would be more relatable to the Korean audience,” she added.

“But they’re similar in that they both grow, in different ways, gradually throughout the show,” she said. 

Director Lee Jung-hyo also wanted to take a simpler approach in conveying the characters to viewers.

“In the American show, you never know what (Alicia) is thinking,” he said. “I made Hye-kyung express all her emotions through her own words.” 

He added that other characters, such as Hye-kyung’s husband Tae-jun, played by Yoo Ji-tae, are more distinctive. “He’s much more immoral,” said Lee, comparing Tae-jun with Peter Florrick, Alicia’s husband in the original series, played by Chris Noth. 

Though tvN’s show shares many identical cases with its U.S. counterpart, Lee had wanted to create a distinct show that caters to the Korean sentiment. 

“I told the actors they didn’t have to watch the American show,” he said.

The original CBS show seemed all about unpredictable characters. Alicia offered a rich mixture of demureness, passion, intelligence and emotion, while Peter was both an ambitious politician and a tender-hearted husband. Will Gardner, a partner at the law firm where Alicia works, played by Josh Charles, was hotheaded but tactful. 

Yoon Kye-sang, a singer-turned-actor portraying Seo Joong-won, Will’s Korean counterpart, also wanted to add layers to his character.

“I thought it would be more interesting to oscillate back and forth rather than stick to one certain characteristic,” he said. “(Joong-won) is sometimes very cold and sacrifices everything for his firm. But he is also in love with Hye-kyung,” said Yoon. 

From left: Lee Won-geun, Yoon Kye-sang, Jeon Do-yeon, Nana and Yoo Ji-tae, the cast of tvN’s “The Good Wife,” pose for a photo for the show’s Seoul press conference Thursday. (CJ E&M)

The original creators Robert and Michelle King have said that the show was modeled around the Clinton scandal. It was inspired by a news frame of former U.S. first lady and current Democratic presidential nominee Hillary standing by her husband’s side, her expression unfathomable. 

Director Lee, however, focused more on the “personal than the political,” adding there was “no Korean equivalent” to the U.S. power couple.

“I did do some research on the Clintons,” he added. “But I thought more about how any individual would react in those situations,” he said. 

The Korean “Good Wife” is seeing an average viewership of 4 percent, a strong figure among cable networks, according to tvN’s parent company CJ E&M.

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

Yoo Ji Tae's  and Jeon Do Yeon charisma filling up screen! Yes, I'm still watching right now. Scene right now it's them! wow!

Omg! the end scene for the ep! and the preview 6.. Excited for the next one already!

OMG I cannot wait to watch the next 2 episodes. 

This drama with the superb acting and  yes the end ep 6 blew me away. JW did lose his chance but he still have a chance. HG needed release and she has less problems going to her cheater spouse (who is mad sexy) but a woman has needs. JW definitely awakened a sleeping "tigress" for sure.

Many I want to know recaps but I guess I have to settle for waiting til later this weekend. I know these types of dramas use alot of Korean vocab I don't get. (It would be the same for me with Chinese dramas). 

This drama keeps me weekends exciting. My friend visiting from Seoul was teasing me when I had to get my "Good Wife" fix. I have not really watched the US version like 1 episode once on the plane flying somewhere.

YJT as TJ is awesome. He smoulders and you are not sure if you want to believe him entirely or not. I like that he is not entirely BLACK and WHITE but the shades of grey he has. Even with JW he is not all what he seems. His affection and change in attitude is apparent when he is with HG but to others he is back to his "colder " demeanor.

I could not blame him for putting one on HG when she said ---you are a good person. Even when he admitted his guilt with the lead toys case he took on eons ago. Awww HG that is why we love you. Your trust and belief in people. You are so unspoiled and pure and no wonder JW likes that about you.

Hi all! New Good Wife addict here. I just marathoned the first 6 eps in the last 2 days and watched ep 7 raw today. I understand about 50% and mostly don't understand the parts when they talk about the case of the week.

All I can say is, JEON DO YEON IS A QUEEN. Love every moment she's on screen. And her acting counterparts are wonderful too, though their characters are abit fishy.

Last scene today was intense! Suuuuper excited for ep 8.

I'm going to stop fighting it. I'm a fan of problematic things: I love the character of Tae Joon. I know that he is a little richard simmons and manipulative selfish richard simmons with very little morals and is immoral. I know that he has used, and is very much willing to use his wife. I know he is not an innocent victim in this corruption thing and anything involving this he mainly brought it onto himself. Trust me I know how bad Tae Joon is and as someone who has seen/knows of the original it give me great joy to know the writers plan to make him more immoral than Peter. With that said, I love his character. He's the kind of villain I root for (I want him to bring down the bigger bad) and also want to see crushed. For all his faults and everything, this one little things means something to me and can't allow me to completely loath the man. 

He loves his wife. Tae Joon loves Hye Kyung. Yes he's ambitious. Yes he has bigger plans and higher goals and is willing to do (and most likely has done) nearly anything to get there. His love is not the best type of love. It's not the most honest or least dangerous. It's not the most forthcoming or trusting love. But he does love her. I think he loves Hye Kyung the woman that she was and I think that she is now. I remember the one prosecutor mentioning how much Tae Joon used to talk and brag about having Hye Kyung for a wife. He talks about how Tae Joon used to tell everyone that Hye Kyung was more intelligent and a better lawyer than him. Yes part of that had to do with ego boost for him, but another part is that he could see the good woman Hye Kyung is. Tae Joon loves Hye Kyung. He has to or why else would all these bad people be using her as a means to hurt/get to him.....like they know if you want to get to the belly of him you have to come for her (disgusting everyone involved so freaking disgusting including Tae Joon) and that wouldn't be possible if he truly didn't love her.

The last five, 10 minutes of the episode left me breathless.....Jeon Do Yeon and Yoo Ti Jae have such sparks. I was seriously on edge. They said so much while saying so much. Also the silent moments of saying nothing but just staring....breathless. They are magnetic and that sorry to YYS fans, is what is missing in the scenes with Joong Won. That spark, the tension, like ticking time bomb or fire cracker of "is she going to smack the taste out this dude's mouth or is she going to pour a whole lot of hate and want in a kiss" is what's missing. Don't get me wrong I enjoy their scenes but it's just....it's flat. I don't know maybe I just have weird taste. I had the same problem with the original. In the American series while I found Peter to be intriguing and dynamic someone who I wanted to see and learn of all his complexities and how far his dark side truly goes or if I could trust anything he said to Alicia (also I felt the chemistry between the actors were better) I found will to be so bland and boring. Granted I only watched for two and a half seasons, but still nothing about the character drew me in.

I will give YYS and the writers credit here because I enjoy Joong Won and find him to be so much more interesting than Will. However he is still pretty basic and the intensity I feel in watching YJT act (just watching him watch the pastor talk I was on edge and my lord his stares...I never know what to expect and I get excited and scared) is not there when it comes YYS scenes. YYS is a wonderful actor and he is doing really well in his role and again has pulled my interest much more than the original but alas his character is kind of too basic daddy long legs for me. 

Honestly my queen Hye Kyung. She is a fortress. That last 7 minutes....I was just....how...she's marvelous. I cried with her when she cried in the car...the closing elevator doors....the don't go...the drive off...JDY's acting is perfection and I was just....the way she looked at him...her eyes always say a thousand and one things. That stare off, then she drives away. LOVE IT! Did she go out of hurt, betrayal, anger, and further pain from Tae Joon. Did she go because of suppressed desire...she wants him and now she's going to give in...is she even really driving off to meet him or is that she and the show wants us and her husband to believe... It's all of this and none of this and I love the show for it. I can't wait for the next episode and to watch Hye Kyung keep kicking richard simmons and taking down names as she walks to her throne.

As always....I NEED SUBS!!

July 30, 2016

Jeon Do-yeon Shines in 'Good Wife' Remake

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Jeon Do-yeon

A remake of the hit U.S. TV series "The Good Wife" on a cable channel here provides a tailor-made outing for the Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon.

In the tvN series, she plays a woman who struggles as a lawyer, a mother and a human being after her husband cheats on her. 

"I was nervous and stressed because it's my first appearance on the small screen in a decade," she told reporters Thursday.

"The whole crew gathered together to watch the first episode," which aired early this month, she said. But now the glowing reviews have taken a weight off her shoulders.

Julianna Margulies, the original Good Wife, is a hard act to follow. But Jeon said she was unable to fully empathize with the American character at first.

After watching a few episodes of the original, she thought her character should be different and adapted to the scene here. "But both of the women grow because of their struggles," she said. 

She has shot around half of the 16-episode series and hopes it will keep viewers' attention.

This show is amazing. I wasn't that impressed with the first episode, but then came back to watch episode 2, and after that watched all the current episodes. The acting is stellar across the board, and even the supporting actors are holding their own. What I am enjoying the most, is the depiction of adults behaving like adults. They have jobs, they have lives and relationships that doesn't just revolve around a love triangle, as is depicted in most Kdramas.

Yes, there is a triangle here, but every one involved still lives like normal human beings for the most part. I had gotten tired of Kdramas were 30+ year old adults act like children, that blush at hand holding. SK might be somewhar conservative, but come on. More than the physical, it's that people talk, argue, and react to situations like regular folks.

No one is keeping silent, while expecting the other person to be a mind reader; no stupid acts of noble idiocy, no white knights, nor prince charming. Just regular humans, who are not strictly black or white. Just lovely and makes the drama a pleasure to watch. Wonder if this drama will go on with multiple seasons. There is so much story to be told and directions where they can take the story.

@MrsSoJiSub

Join me then?!  You know how much I'm rooting for Tae Joon and Hye Kyung. that's it.

Of course, for the lurkers there.. from the very  beginning and even before the drama started. Ye all know how much I root for Tae Joon!  Yoo Ji Tae dominates the screen with his aura. Watching every episodes every weekend, Tae Joon character is just oozing with charisma! the intensity.  And I couldn't help myself last night  mouth wide open, I kept saying oh my god.. the roof top scene  the car park scene.. whew! they dominate so much. I was watching drama brilliance even without dialogues!

About Tae Joon character,  of course we don't glorify cheaters and bastards! But..lets see the bigger broader picture. She had this line in an episode where in she sai. "did you think of me when you slept with Amber" and  I felt her sad disappointment and controlled anger. Because she  loves him still. I feel it. And for Tae Joon, the key words there is he loves his wife.   I always root for them bad guy.. in almost every drama I watch. I'm wishing for redemption for the character. He's slime jerk of a hole for doing that to Hye Kyung...  but there's got to be even bigger reason. Hye Kyung leaving, driving off... it's to let out all that anger. She's going to meet Joon Wong and I want Tae Joon to do something about that! He knows. During of  when they were having conversation,  he clenched his fist,  thinking of Hye Kyung and Joong Won. He knows.

About Yoon Kye Sang, don't hate me viewers, but it's like  with his his drama LAST I was also rooting for the bad guy (played by Lee Bum Seo). Hi character Joon Wong in this drama is  good guy the one that's there for  Hye Kyung but there is something.. that isn't right. The preview for ep 8 he was shouting he was furious he was mad.  I wonder why.

Omg Episode 7 slays me. Each episode is getting even better!!!

And the preview for Episode 8 promises to be even more dramatic. TJ's lawyer hits JW in court? Wow.... Both men wanting the best for HK, which is for her to be with them respectively of course xd.

Dan was hilarious this episode, telling KCary to be better in a less gross way, without kissing richard simmons and all. And then almost kissing JW, but actually stepping on his foot for him to yelp loudly, lol. 

Sorry @jongskican't join you LOL. As much as I enjoy Tae Joon's character and believe that Yoo Ji Tae is playing him magnificently; as Bon Jovi said "you give love a bad name." Tae Joon's brand of love is not one that I wish on anyone let alone my queen Hye Kyung. His brand of love is selfish, dangerous, possesive, and can be confining.

Let's say Tae Joon and Hye Kyung for some reason stay married, would his ambitions really allow her to have a happy and free life? Will she still be allowed to be an uncoropted lawyer trying to help and bring changes to other lives? Will she have a weight lifted off her shoulders and feel like she can breath? Will she laugh and smile? Will home be a santurary, a happy place she cannot wait to arrive? Walking through those doors to see her kids and husband will light her up instead of shut something off? I don't want my Hye Kyung crying like she did in the car. I don't want her always doubting and questioning where Tae Joon is. Having to drive off in the middle of the night and confront the harsh dark true reality of who her husband is. 

Yes Tae Joon loves Hye Kyung but to me his brand of love is not good enough, it's not worthy nor deserving of the awesome sauce that is Hye Kyung. Hye Kyung deserves more and better than Tae Joon. It's not even the cheating because with real effort, trying from both sides, many marriages have comeback from such a betrayal. The problem between Hye Kyung and Tae Joon is the broken trust and faith. It's the lies and secrets. It's the manipulation.The lack of respect for her, her intelligence and her ability to maybe understand and be there for him if only he would share and be honest. It's the lack of true partnership. Tae Joon is not communicating with Hye Kyung (nor she him). He's not telling her things she truly does need to know. He's not trusting her and treating her as an equal. He doesn't tell her everything about Chu, Kang, and the blackmailing. She has no clue of the bigger workings of the corruption and trap he's in. Hell he hasn't shared his trail. What he and his lawyers are doing and what may come out during the trail, she has no clue. 

You don't treat a wife or someone you love like this. Again he does love her, but his brand of love, it's toxic. His love has already shattered a part of her life, who she thought he/she was, what that meant, and what they had. Tae Joon's love already 15 years ago required a sacrifice and now it's damaging and possibly sacrifices again a career a semblance of healthy, happy family she's trying to keep...NO! 

15 years ago Hye Kyung chose Tae Joon. She put him ahead of herself. I have yet to see Tae Joon do the same and choose Hye Kyung put her ahead of him (or was that what he was doing on the roof?). We all have asked if it came down to Tae Joon's ambitions or Hye Kyung, which would he choose? He's already made that choice. Right now he's trying to hold on to both. He desperately wants both but it's more than obvious he can't have both. One cancels out the other. The two are extreme opposites of the other. Hye Kyung is not about that life (roof top meetings, pictures with judges that are to trial you -who does that expect right the judge has most likely accepted a bribe or is paying a favor, accepting an offer he can't refuse-, money bags, beating the day lights out of someone). I don't want her to be about that life. She wants, earned, and demands better than that life. Can Tae Joon let that go and do what needs done to be with Hye Kyung?

I enjoy Tae Joon as an individual character. He's charming and charismatic. He's has presence. His whole being is commanding and I can't held but pay attention when he's on screen. Tae Joom knows how to use words and play people. He's the don, the godfather. I enjoy him in a morbid fascinated way of "how bad will the eventual collision, his downfall be?" But none of these things make him a man deserving of Hye Kyung or someone I root for her to be with. For Tae Joon to be with Hye Kyung there are going to have to be huge changes. He's going to have to want to be better and do better. When you take away all the motives, reasoning, excuses (love and family or justice or whatever does not give allowance to do as you please or feel obligated to do, all in the name of...) defenses, etc. Tae Joon is not a good man.

My Hye Kyung deserves a great, wonderful, amazing man, who sees her worth and daily shows her and let's her know and understand in a way SHE appreciates and feels that she is of worth and greatly loved. None of the two men currently in her life is that man. So I am and remain #teamsingleHyeKyungrunningshitwithDan 

Fvck!

Spoiler

! it's Joon Wong who hugged her! But it was Tae Joon.. who did something to make the minion of slime chairman leave Hye Kyung  and client alone! Whew! I don't know what's going on. I don't like Joon Wong and Hye Kyung

And there's a press conference going on with Tae Joon!

Archived