Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

so a fwe pages back i posted how Tk knew lee moon sae name, and his song sunset glow/red sunset played in the car on the ways to the beach and imo foreshadowed their sunset scene. Lee moon sae also spoke over his snow confession...now i personally think this is how tk will find out, and now with the added fact that he has the day off...'

oooof T.T im  already getting teary

• Like 10

Guest gerimisore
51 minutes ago, mangachickava said:

so a fwe pages back i posted how Tk knew lee moon sae name, and his song sunset glow/red sunset played in the car on the ways to the beach and imo foreshadowed their sunset scene. Lee moon sae also spoke over his snow confession...now i personally think this is how tk will find out, and now with the added fact that he has the day off...'

Omg, you're right. Lee Moon-sae has always been there with Taek-Deoksun memories :( I feel sad already imagining our boy having his first heartbreak. But the faster he knows the situation, the better. So he can move on and, if in the end he isn't the husband, there will be enough time to build a better ending for him. Ah, but the pain...

Taek-ah! :'(  

On 12/15/2015 at 8:09 AM, Meliere said:

I love you guys. The posts here are so funny, big-hearted, and cute. It's like we're the most open-minded underdogs ever. Some JH/DS shippers are so serious it scares me. But here we're just like "LOL YOLO I REGRET NOTHING. STAYING ON THE TAEKTANIC." Because of you lovely girls, I am now emotionally prepared for the worst possible scenario; even if the writer decided to stick to the previous formulas and chilbong Taek, I know I'll be able to taek it because of our sweet forum. 

Dear Meliere,

I just wanted to say how the comments here, and yours in particular have compelled me to unlurk and sign up on soompi so I could respond and say thank you. This feels like such a great place to be, one that is bursting with a lot of sincere love for the show and now that the romantic side to the show is developing full swing - to share our anxieties as well. The show has me wrapped around its fingers (kind of like Taekie’s dad around JJ) and I find so much in it that I can relate to and root for. A rare case of drama love has set in.

You know I recently watched About a Boy and I was struck by how the little boy in it figures out the key to happiness. That it is not in being single, not even in being with another loved one. He says at one point that you need more than two, that you need friends and family and a whole big bunch of people who care about each other to really make life work. This instalment of Reply has been all about family and I can’t tell you how much I love this show for it. That is why, for me the entire conflict that arises out of who the OTP might be seems a great disservice to what the show is trying to do. When Bora and SW are on screen and we get to see their relationship progress, I really feel like they are the OTP. Because I get the feeling that the show, its creators, care as much about them as about who we might like to call the leads. They’re as important as anybody else. Same goes for SW’s mom and Taekie’s dad, whose sweet relationship is unravelling at such a beautiful and natural pace. Then there are other individual trajectories for characters who may appear “minor” but are no less authentic because we see them grow - or are at least shown increasing depth and dimension in them as the show progresses. I find myself rooting for everyone. And find that even with its staggering length of an hour and 40 minutes, there is not a moment that is wasted. 

I think I entered this show with most curiosity about the character PBG would play (mostly thanks to his amazing, heartbreaking performance in IRY) and I have to say hats off to Bogummie for pulling off such an unusual drama character. The initial silence, his quietness, his withholding only served to pull me in. I don’t think Taekie is a mysterious character, just one with a lot of gravitas, and a charisma that emanates from being so different, so flat yet intense at the same time, so uncharacteristically real. I don’t know if you noticed, but there is also a certain darkness in him that is absent from all other characters. Taekie appears to contain within him experiences that have no way of being spoken of. And the overprotective spirit everybody exhibits around him is a recognition of it in a way. There’s something very very profound about his character right from the beginning. It’s almost as if he doesn’t belong to the light hearted, comedic tone of the show. His darkness is heavier than the show’s poignant moments. And yet, he seems to blend effortlessly into the crazy, humorous chaos of the world of Reply 1988, while still retaining his essence as a person with incredible depth and intensity. 

Many people here, including you, have mentioned how everybody on this show is fond of and loves Taekie. In that way it is true that they all make it seem like he is the centre of the show. But perhaps that is merely an indication of how the show itself loves Taekie a lot - not so much for his worth as a romantic hero - but as someone who brings to the show a new and even risky dimension. It’s like they treat him with care and caution because he offers to the neighbourhood, his friends something deep and powerful otherwise unavailable to them and adding to this show a whole new flavour. Truly a gem of a character being played by a gem of an actor. My love for both grows with each passing episode.

But even for him, from what I gather, as aloof and introverted as he may seem, alone is no way to be, and two is not enough either. It is the whole gamut of friends, family, ahjusshis and ahjummas of the neighbourhood that make up what it means to love and be loved.

Agk! Been obsessed with this show in a way I hadn’t anticipated. Loving every moment of it. And felt like it would be such a shame to sit in a little corner by myself while there is a whole world of people out here to share the celebrations with.

Haven’t finished reading all the comments in this thread yet (been at it for the past two days already!) but I look forward to reading more of your comments. Keep them coming, okay?

<3

• Like 24

True :) I dont mean to compare but when I go to JH/DS thread, the whole thread feels superior :)) the main thread is at least a bit more neutral. I love this thread too ;) I love how each of us cares about the little details and how positive we are, and we shoot down no one :)

teamTaek fighting :D i still believe in SunTaek, the PD/writer will introduce a new kind of love here (aka not just the bickering couples that we usually see) When the family stories are deep, the lead couple's stories should be as deep as that too :) 

• Like 13

I'm trying my best to hold on to that slight hope that PBG is really the main lead. It just doesn't make sense that the female lead and 2nd leads are correct as stated in the news but with the male lead we are unsure (at least I am). Jung Hwan is adorable, yes but Taek is.. Guh I can't even explain it :)) I guess I just love PBG too much haha but if it really is not our Taekie then I can accept that, as long as things are explained clearly. Taek needs justice, he's such a good character. Its not common for us to be presented with a character who you think is this fragile person (that only grows at the end of the series or doesn't) but then later on find out that there's more to him and is stronger than he appears to be (but still precious) lol I'm starting to fangirl too much now. I'm ready to hit the iceberg with this cruise ship because I know that more opportunities will come for the actor but I really need his character to have a good life when the series ends.

• Like 10

I mentioned "hidden moments" in one of my previous posts and I remembered that in the scene where SW asked TK when he learned to curse, a flashback is shown and it was DS teaching him and they shared a moment there! :)) so now I am really hoping there'll be more of that. Haha

• Like 5

Talk about happiness.

The first one that DS proposes to marry is Teak.

The first one invites DS to go out at the first snowing day is Teak.

The first overseas trip of DS is with Teak.

The first one who sees Teak smoking is DS and vice versa, who saw DS cry is Teak.

The first one Teak tried to protect is DS (@toilet, of course)

The first one who has solo trip with DS is Teak ( at the romantic beach scene with the saddest sountrack). 

The first one who joins DS'dance is Teak.

The first one who can help Take to eat well, to sleep well, to smile after win baduk is only DS. 

The first one who is hugged proactively by Teak is DS.

So, who will be the husband? Do we have to confuse if PD nim invested a lot of romantic things into a relationship just for being friend forever?

He is smarter than that. 

I believe in you, PDnim, writer nim.

And I'm asking for supporting from Singer Lee Mon Se, the one Teak remember name and praying with God of Baduk to seek for  your unlimited power.

I need DS will chose Teak to be her husband as she used to talk.

Big Group Hug chingus.

• Like 17

Less busy at work and decided to post this.:)

Dear Taekie,

The first time i saw you( ep 1), I laughed so much because of how clumsy you are. Your inability to do things on your own brought out the mother instinct in me. I would always worry when I saw you taking medicines and falling asleep as if you were lifeless.

As time went on, I began to see more layers to your character and your gentle self and we went, "Oh boy, he's not so dumb afterall". And for that I apologise my sweet Taekie. 

I have watched how your feelings for DS continues to grow and i have to commend you for being courageous enough to reveal it to your friends(despite not knowing you have a rival or maybe you do know about JH's feelings).

Taek-ah, i worry for you and your heart. i know you are strong but i just want to take your hands and tell you that everything would be alright even if you do not get the girl. I will support you till the very end, no matter who you decide to spend the rest of your life with. Because all that matters is your happiness.

isnt it strange that i find you HOT when you smoke(knowing fully well that it can damage your liver) and go all "manly" on us?hehehehe.

Sweet Sweet Taekie, some people have called you weak, "not hubby material", etc but you have shown that you cant judge a book by its cover.

Uri Taekie-ah, When you are sad, we are sad. When you cry, we cry. When you are hurt, we hurt also. BUT when you smile and show all your 32 teeth, we all smile along with you. Continue smiling Taekie because your smile means so much to us and makes us know that you will be alright. 

I love you.:heart:

P.S: You can write your love letter to Taek, just for funsies.;)

• Like 13

2 hours ago, mangachickava said:

And when TK finds out he will give way to his friend. He will notice that JH is doing the noble idiot act and he will find a way to get his two long time friends together. DS(oblivious to TK's feelings) & JH will be happy. Cue to time skip. DS will narrate the gang's life and we will see that TK started dating. There will be a new girl that will have all those puppy smiles and the one that will now occupy DS space in TK's life. He will not need DS caring anymore and he will have no more time for her since baduk and dating will take most of it. DS will feel the loss and without noticing it or admiting it she will feel jealous. 

#fanfic:D

• Like 13

@mustardmaimai Omg, welcome!! Though this thread was started by @hafunohane only 9 days ago, I think it's no small accomplishment on our part to have drawn so many different voices and opinions so quickly. I hope people keep jumping onboard! Someone here mentioned that we're humble. It's true. Someone mentioned that we are comfortable laughing at ourselves, and at our at times adorably hopeful theories. I think that's true too. Because Taek was so late in entering the "otp race", I think many of us aren't obsessed with "OMG HE MUST BE THE HUSBAND. OR ELSE.", rather like @mustardmaimai @liteulkwin and many others wrote, we are bound by our love for Taek, Taek's characterization, DS as an individual, TK-DS and their natural bond/chemistry, and by our appreciation of the show itself. 

Thank you EVERYONE for your wonderful posts. The theories, the analytical 'essays' :), the jokes, the anxious worries… everything! You girls make my day every day. No really. As soon as I wake up, I grab my tablet and start reading all the new comments. ;)

@mustardmaimai makes a good point … 'otp'-hood is only a corner of the human existence. I personally would never be happy with a romantic relationship that compromised family, friends, and sense of self. My problem with conventional kdramas is that OTP is presented as the 'end all be all', when my experience as a dating 20-something tells me that is totally unrealistic and ridiculous. The strength and charm of AM 1988 so far is that OTP is not front stage and center. My love of Taek stems from the fact that we learn just as much about his life as we do about his love for DS. And like @mustardmaimai wrote, the many relationships presented in the show (the parents' marriages, BR-SW, Taekie appa-sunwoo omma) are just as relatable and moving. So long as the writer keeps on developing Taek as a character, and provide him with a full & rewarding life, I'll be okay if JH-DS turns out to be the 'main otp' after all. 

And here we arrive at the crux of the problem (for me personally): the idea of a "main otp'. 

I like JH as a character. And I especially adore his family. But I do wish the JH-DS line wasn't so anxious about delivering all the "skinship" fans could possibly want, and focused instead on believable developments we can wrap our emotions around.

We see this over and over again in kdramas, and, to an extent, in the JH-DS line: two people who've previous not shown interest in each other are brought together by a strange conspiracy of 'god knows what' forces. Oops! why are we squished together by accident even though the alley has more than enough space for us to spread out? Oops! why did our basement floor crack just so we can live together? Oops! did i really actually rip your shirt on the bus? Oops! how come I never knock just so I can catch you half naked! Oops! I need to pee and somehow sleepwalk into your bed too?

It's charming when people are given a *chance* to be together by a mysterious working of fate. But for it to be convincing and carry narrative power, it can only happen once or twice, and cannot be the driving motivation behind a relationship. When the plot keeps on throwing out all these convenient excuses to bring otp together, then we traverse into fan-servicing and lazy writing. It takes on the appearance of an elementary school theatre production …. in which the stars and sun move across the stage dangled by visible threads. Or, in other words, the dreaded 'deus ex machina'. 

I also super agree with everything @mustardmaimai wrote about Taek as a character. I love that, despite some consistencies (his kindness, his adoration of his friends, the tenderness with which he treats DS), he is essentially a body of contradictions as well. I find that SUCH good writing. What is 'personal identity' anyway? I mean most of us commit to a set of beliefs ('I want to be a good person', 'I am hardworking and ambitious'), but outside of these commitments we are so complicated and varied as *people*. Who of us isn't everything all at once? Someone good at math may be directionally challenged. Someone who is generous and a good father may be cheating on his wife. A shy wallflower may be outspoken and eloquent amongst friends. In this sense, Taek is marvelously captivating and believable to me. You can never *pin* him on a single description. Or, as Walt Whitman wrote, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

• Like 20

@meguna haha..of course he's gonna get fan girls letters. He's famous afterall. The question is, will he read them? And my answer is, "I don't think so" lol. He would rather sleep and spend time with his friends but maybe he does. *shrugs*

@Wendy Wang i agree with you. That article was from a staff. We shouldn't give up yet. I always wonder if the script has been concluded or the writer keeps writing as the episodes go? 

• Like 3

@hafunohane OMG your post about episode 0!!!! 

I worship you. The end. 

Edited to add:

Also, when I watched episode 0, I was struck by the character introductions and how Taek is the ONLY character not mentioned to have a relationship with DS. This was the sequence:

1. DS

2. SW - we are told he and DS *may* become first loves

3. JH - we are told he and DS have a 'charged' bickering relationship

4. DR - we are told he and DS are derp soulmates *insert dance scenes*

5. TK - we are told how hard PBG prepared for his role. No mentions of his relationship with DS ... EVEN THOUGH now we know they have the deepest childhood bond of all. 

-

Do I smell a twist? Oh yes, indeed!

• Like 16

39 minutes ago, hafunohane said:

hi guys, i just finished watching the entire episode 0 with no subs. so a few things caught my eye:

Screen_Shot_2015_12_16_at_7_48_29_AM.png

1. the first peek into TK's room. the camera pans down from the ceiling, the friends are lying down on the floor on each other's lap save for DR. (as seen in my previous post's photo.) what is that green jacket doing there really? doesn't look like something TK would wear. 

image.jpg

2. Bear with me as i try to make sense of this part. So in this scene, the OT5 were listening to a radio quiz about the 80s. DR is on the phone and he got on air.. the friends all gathered to help him answer. He got the first answer correct, then he hung up immediately when the announcer asked him the 2nd question coz he didn't know the answer. TK then blurted out the right answer '40..' and the friends just glanced his way, not really believing him. Then we heard the announcer cited the same answer TK said as the correct one. The next scene is JH holding TK's hand and DR crying trying to pick up the phone again. (They've added his selective memory element from episode 0... i'm just amazed right now).

image.jpg

3. So this is the part where each main character's audition/ preparation for their respective characters are shown. The way each sequence opens is by zooming to their position in the main poster. We got DS/Hyeri first, and then the camera slides to SW, then to JH next to him, and in the right order of things, the camera should've slided to the person next to him, which is TK, then go to DR last because he's on the other side (hellooooooooo from there. LOL excuse me) of the poster. But nope, they went with introducing DR after JH, and saved TK for last. I mean, was this an editing/ stylistic choice on the editor's part or is this an intentional move to make TK seemingly the 3rd/4th lead at the beginning??

image.png

4. Again, towards the very end of the song (notice my time slider at the bottom) when they showed us the OST part 1's MV, the screen displays montage of each character listening to the song on the radio/ walkman. The very last person shown to be listening is TK, and then we cut to the singers, ending the song. 

--

The way I see this is that the PD has intentionally planned for TK's character to be mysterious and quiet with barely any screentime/dialogue in the beginning because he knows that TK will be given more importance later on along with the added surprises/ layers to his character. Just want to share how impressed I am that they've committed to portraying his character this way since episode 0. They did it so well, so much so, that when the last scene of episode 6 shows him calling DS, most of us are surprised because most people would think, seeing this episode 0, that he wouldn't get much screentime at all. Another idea why he's always shown last in episode 0 may have something to do with the story's timeline. The secret santa/ manitto game rule: you'll be able to find out about your gift recipient's feelings. We knew this happened. DS found out about JH's feelings and JH found out about TK's too (episode 10), so there is just one person left: TK. Same goes with the order of the kid's entrance in episode 2 when they were celebrating TK's big victory. He came to JH's house last. Also, this may be foreshadowing for episode 6 when we found out he's the real contender, not SW, but Sungdaddy said this when they were wondering why TK hasn't shown up yet: "the star always appears last!" 

I hope my points make sense. I just want to share my findings coz I find the consistency/ depth of thought/ build-up to be very meticulous on the production's part. 

It does make really sense..thank you for sharing..and your really took effort to share this kind of insights... As I always praise and admire here in TK/DS shippers most of their analysis , write up, comment are not just statement ..but a supported fact, arguments and basis... ^^ Go Team Teak!!

"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

• Like 9

@hafunohane a job well done. When I watched the episode 0, I didn't understand a thing but I wondered why Taek was kinda strange compared to the rest but now I understand. Now, I can watch it again with some understanding. The part about him blurting the answer is amazing. It speaks of how well he knows things. 

• Like 5