[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

OMG such a heartbreaking end to ep. 05 ...:tears::unsure: 

On the other, how hilarious was that scene where all princes were struggling to decipher IU's Happy Emoticon message!?:w00t: Funny part was how did Joonki knew what it really meant?!:huh: Baekhyun is really funny when asked to emulate the emoticon HA:lol:

• Like 14

1 hour ago, littleloony said:

merely speculating here about YH--- YH said to her mother that she couldnt forget the grudge against queen Yu when they had met before the 'evil banishing ceremony' at the palace. So I think that some bad event had taken place in the past where YH may have been involved (inadvertently maybe) and Queen Yu had taken advantage of the situation to mediate the banishing of the second queen's family from Songhak. Later as Wook married Lady Hae, they were able to come back again.

This may be why YH is mercenary about being in power, either herself or through her brother remarrying. She seems like she would sorely like to enter the palace and take Queen Yu out of the palace/songhak. In this ambition it is puzzling why she would aim for WS instead of Wang Yo.....cant figure that out. Maybe WS had helped her before in something important.

What is true for YH as of now is that she is vengeful.....be it servants or equals. YH also has a cruel streak in her or it may be alternatively called as extreme princess syndrome induced arrogance, brattiness, feelings of entitlement. She may be running her brother's household because his wife is sick.....but that just rubs me the wrong way how she goes about it.

As much as I dont like YH's character, I think it is being portrayed well.....I just dont know how making her so mean serves the story?

This is my theory on to why YH character took interest in 4th prince. I think she felt connected to him because remember her mother mention they were outcast/exile and without Lady Han family they wouldn't be in where they are. I felt that YH even though she's bratty and a unreasonable, she does it to get attention and when her family was exile she felt alone even though she's a princess and want to fit in somewhere like WS who just want his mother's approval. That's why she took interest in WS because to her he's the only one that really understand her and that to her she will be the only one that understand him because she sees that they have somewhat experience being alone and being an outcast. I feel like she's taking advantage of the situation since her sister in law is sick she gets to run the household and do what she pleases since probably back then when she was exile she was mistreated and now she's taking advantage of it.

Spoiler

probably later when she marries 4th its just to secure power and to control 8th and when she realized he marries her just for that she probably end up turning out probably calmer or probably the opposite causing her to go too much jealously that she's out to harm Hae Soo

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, littleloony said:

That's right chingu Yo is married and for political reasons but somehow it still doesnt make sense why she would be so into WS when she knows he has no chance as of yet to be in the good grace of the king and court, let alone the line for the throne or any sort of power.

On another note- this ep belonged to Lady Hae and the actress playing her did such a fine job......I felt frustrated at the lost chance between Wook and her to have attained love and and affection in their marriage. Clearly Lady Hae could be quite lively and interesting. If only she could have risen above her times to freely engage with Wook, maybe he would have found her refreshing as well and developed more romantic feelings for her. On the other hand, even aside from the rules and conventions of the times, I think living with Wook would naturally call for circumspection of one's behavior.....you can see it even in Hae su....she strives to be patient, well behaved, polite and is image conscious when she is with Wook. Lady Hae probably didnt have much of a chance of narrowing the emotional distance between them, especially with Wook being all polite and all aloof.

Which makes me wonder a bit......say there was no obstacle to Wook marrying Hae su......how do you think that would fare in the long run.....Wook may be utterly mesmerised by Hae su right now because she is so warm and also such a novelty.....but that would wear off......in time if Hae didnt settle down and kept being impulsive I wonder if that would be acceptable to Wook who clearly has taken pains to cultivate the calm and collected image or would he become more free spirited? I wonder if it isnt infatuation on both sides...Hae su and Wook.

I agree with you, So's personality matches Soo's and that is why I feel there is more chemistry and understanding between them which would make it a lasting love. Wook would just stifle Soo eventually and drain away her spirit. I haven't watched ep 5 yet but I don't feel any urgency to because it is all about Wook and Soo :( I am waiting for our So-Soo couple to take off :wub: 

• Like 17

10 minutes ago, TeBe said:

IU is portraying all of this and she is doing a terrific job. I don't really understand the hating, bashing and harsh criticism she apparently is facing now on social media in Korea. ( if anyone could explain to me why does she have many anti-fans , I will be thankful )

I still didn't watch episode 5 .. I will be back to continue discussing the progress of the story. 

@TeBe Ironically, IU is actually quite beloved in South Korea. She's extremely accomplished, is actually among one of the highest paid idols/artists in SK, and has a pretty sizable fan base. While it's true she has haters and antis (most do), hers seem to work really hard. And unfortunately, if there's any news on IU, the media runs with it, regardless of whether it's true or not. It might seem like there are a LOT of them out there, but they're just very good at using social media to their advantage. That's why although IU does have a Twitter and Instagram account, she's not an active user of either, though she's been commenting more on other people's profiles.

I should also note that in SK, haters/antis also include fans of other artists that may consider you a threat to their success, or their relationship status.

• Like 19

54 minutes ago, littleloony said:

That's right chingu Yo is married and for political reasons but somehow it still doesnt make sense why she would be so into WS when she knows he has no chance as of yet to be in the good grace of the king and court, let alone the line for the throne or any sort of power.

On another note- this ep belonged to Lady Hae and the actress playing her did such a fine job......I felt frustrated at the lost chance between Wook and her to have attained love and and affection in their marriage. Clearly Lady Hae could be quite lively and interesting. If only she could have risen above her times to freely engage with Wook, maybe he would have found her refreshing as well and developed more romantic feelings for her. On the other hand, even aside from the rules and conventions of the times, I think living with Wook would naturally call for circumspection of one's behavior.....you can see it even in Hae su....she strives to be patient, well behaved, polite and is image conscious when she is with Wook. Lady Hae probably didnt have much of a chance of narrowing the emotional distance between them, especially with Wook being all polite and all aloof.

Which makes me wonder a bit......say there was no obstacle to Wook marrying Hae su......how do you think that would fare in the long run.....Wook may be utterly mesmerised by Hae su right now because she is so warm and also such a novelty.....but that would wear off......in time if Hae didnt settle down and kept being impulsive I wonder if that would be acceptable to Wook who clearly has taken pains to cultivate the calm and collected image or would he become more free spirited? I wonder if it isnt infatuation on both sides...Hae su and Wook.

Agreed with you on both the things.

My take on princess is that she hates evil queen and so she feels some level of kinship and sympathy for So. The fact that So remarks that he always wondered how she had grown up leads me to believe that they were friends or on good terms once upon a time.

Despite the fact that So is an outcast, he comes with some pretty strong political ties. He comes with the power of Kang clan and is almost a legend in terms of fighting prowess(even if he is not classically trained).He also seems to have his father and eldest brother's sympathy and respect though they are unsure about his loyalties.  If he were to win favor in court, odds are he would be supported by Yoo clan too. Out of all the available options including Yo who is under his mother's thumb, he is probably the best ally to have. If worst comes to worst, you would have a ruthless warrior on your side. I would think that both Wook and the princess took that in consideration when Wook invited So to stay at his house.

Ofcourse there is always the draw of SO's legendary status of being "wolf dog" and the challenge of taming the beast.

I love what you said about Wook and Soo. Sooner or later Soo's spirit would be crushed under the rules and regulations of thriving in a royal household of a prince that strives to keep under radar and project a collected image. She gets away with all her idiosyncrasies because she is young, no-political value cousin of Wook's wife brought to be her companion. Things would be different where she would have to be face of Wook's household in currently politically charged environment.Can you see her picking a fight with Eun or hugging Jung or being her bumbling self in front of snarky YW and Yo as Wook's wife. Everything Wook loves about her now will make him resent her in a marital situation unless he decides to forego his ambition for any kind of power. I am beginning to notice that almost nothing Wook does is spontaneous except maybe rushing out to save Soo. He likes to play safe, his family has immense expectations from him. If he does marry her, his family will resent her. I hope that the show does underline this aspect of their relationship.

Her life with So will be different because he is just as big of an outsider to royal household as her. He is not calculating nor does he have any large ambition. He just wants to have a family that can love him. She would always bring him joy regardless of what she is because he has nothing to measure her against.

• Like 16

i just watch ep 5 and that really drain my energy out..

so this episode focus on WW/HS all the way.. i think WW is basically really in love with HS BUT he not the one that willing to sacrifice every single thing that he been trying to achieve since young for his love.. WW is a very complicated character but one thing for sure is he ambitious and want to maintain his nice guy image.. maybe that why he did't stand for Haesoo when YH whip her cause he did't want people to talk and all.. he's a very nice and gentleman guy but he not the one that willing to loss everything for love.. its just my impression of him maybe because i watch the cdrama too..

about WS i pretty sure Haesoo already have his interest its just he trying to adjust his life in palace that he don't have any chance to recognize his feeling cause he can't see Haesoo in palace.. but when he see her and talk to her (how cute is WS here like a boy that being compliment from his crush.. kk) and protect her unconsciously by putting himself between Haesoo and his mom.. he just do that without thinking cause at this point she maybe not his love but someone important to him..

Haesoo is just amazing.. in a way she trying really hard to not make anyone hurt maybe its just in her nature cause she been betrayed every single time.. she just a pure thing for me in this story.. how she cried when her cousin died and the way that she interact with each prince according to their character... i think she is someone that hurting the most in this drama later.. poor girl...

in preview we can see WS trying really hard to stop the marriage because he know Haesoo will never survived that kind of marriage.. he understand how her mind work and trying to find a way out.. by kidnapping Haesoo he also against his mom and we can see he already have Haesoo at his top of priorities in term of important people in his life..

if you ask me that how they will fall in love?? i don't have a clue at this point.. maybe WS will fall in love while kidnapping Haesoo and he came to conclusion that he will take Haesoo as his lover and fight for her.. when he ask 'do you like her' maybe not to WW or another prince?? its just i can't see that WS ask this to WW after the confrontation that they have about who Haesoo belong too.. BUT i believe they will work together to help Haesoo escape cause she important to each and every prince at that point..

its interesting to see how the writer will turn WW/HS ship to WS/HS ship at this point.... 

sorry my long post its just what i need to get out of my system after those sad scene... :(

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, pujajain said:

I love what you said about Wook and Soo. Sooner or later Soo's spirit would be crushed under the rules and regulations of thriving in a royal household of a prince that strives to keep under radar and project a collected image. She gets away with all her idiosyncrasies because she is young, no-political value cousin of Wook's wife brought to be her companion. Things would be different where she would have to be face of Wook's household in currently politically charged environment.Can you see her picking a fight with Eun or hugging Jung or being her bumbling self in front of snarky YW and Yo as Wook's wife. Everything Wook loves about her now will make him resent her in a marital situation unless he decides to forego his ambition for any kind of power. I am beginning to notice that almost nothing Wook does is spontaneous except maybe rushing out to save Soo. He likes to play safe, his family has immense expectations from him. If he does marry her, his family will resent her. I hope that the show does underline this aspect of their relationship.

Spot on. I hadn't thought of it like that. I had donned my rose tinted glasses and thought that maybe love would suffice and all would be wonderful for them. But it seems I overlooked the responsibilities that come with being Wang Wook's wife. Her free spirit would wilt for sure. Maybe this thinking will factor into her decision to ultimately reject him? After her experiences with her ex-boyfriend I feel she's no debutante but has sufficient experience in the love arena. Look how she treats 10th Princes little crush - she abides it but doesn't feed it so as not to give him hope. She's all the more pragmatic for her experiences. Ruoxi too was pragmatic and couldn't reconcile the fact that 8th was already married. Yet all her pragmatism went out the window when it came to 4th. I feel like Hae Soo will be the same about Wang So. Even if he does get married she won't be able to control or cut off all ties with him. He'll be her one true love. heart-shape2-smiley.gif Can't wait for more Wang So and Hae Soo hearted-smiley.gif

Subs still aren't out folks... it'll be bedtime soon. Wonder what's taking them so long today. Yesterday we had them at half seven in the evening. And now it's twenty past ten... 

• Like 18

I rewatch rewatch and rewatch again the 5th episode! It's so lovely, touching and sad! I cry, I smile, I laugh! It's really interesting to watch the developing romantic feelings in Wang So towards Hae Soo. I think his kind of love is going to be completely different as Wang Wook is. Growing from the friendship and feeling that only Hae Soo is the only one who can understand him and accept him as Wang So is. I love it!! On the other hand Wang Wook and Hae Soo interaction is sooo sweet and bitter in the same time. I anticipate for developing Hae Soo feelings from Wang Wook to Wang So, when will she finally realize that her true love is our super sexy dark the 4th prince?!!!!

i love that show!! Definitely the best one for me!

• Like 13

29 minutes ago, violet90 said:

i just watch ep 5 and that really drain my energy out..

so this episode focus on WW/HS all the way.. i think WW is basically really in love with HS BUT he not the one that willing to sacrifice every single thing that he been trying to achieve since young for his love.. WW is a very complicated character but one thing for sure is he ambitious and want to maintain his nice guy image.. maybe that why he did't stand for Haesoo when YH whip her cause he did't want people to talk and all.. he's a very nice and gentleman guy but he not the one that willing to loss everything for love.. its just my impression of him maybe because i watch the cdrama too..

about WS i pretty sure Haesoo already have his interest its just he trying to adjust his life in palace that he don't have any chance to recognize his feeling cause he can't see Haesoo in palace.. but when he see her and talk to her (how cute is WS here like a boy that being compliment from his crush.. kk) and protect her unconsciously by putting himself between Haesoo and his mom.. he just do that without thinking cause at this point she maybe not his love but someone important to him..

Haesoo is just amazing.. in a way she trying really hard to not make anyone hurt maybe its just in her nature cause she been betrayed every single time.. she just a pure thing for me in this story.. how she cried when her cousin died and the way that she interact with each prince according to their character... i think she is someone that hurting the most in this drama later.. poor girl...

in preview we can see WS trying really hard to stop the marriage because he know Haesoo will never survived that kind of marriage.. he understand how her mind work and trying to find a way out.. by kidnapping Haesoo he also against his mom and we can see he already have Haesoo at his top of priorities in term of important people in his life..

if you ask me that how they will fall in love?? i don't have a clue at this point.. maybe WS will fall in love while kidnapping Haesoo and he came to conclusion that he will take Haesoo as his lover and fight for her.. when he ask 'do you like her' maybe not to WW or another prince?? its just i can't see that WS ask this to WW after the confrontation that they have about who Haesoo belong too.. BUT i believe they will work together to help Haesoo escape cause she important to each and every prince at that point..

its interesting to see how the writer will turn WW/HS ship to WS/HS ship at this point.... 

sorry my long post its just what i need to get out of my system after those sad scene... :(

Exactly my thoughts!! :)

• Like 9

8 hours ago, qwenli said:

when 10th and 14th open the letter they cant understand it, it looks like an emoticon! lol lol.

9th tries to weigh in.

nobody understands it!

4th looks amused. but he seems to understand it.

4th interprets the picture and tell 10th to do the action as per the pix. and 9th + 14th confirms the expression.

4th: its a happy expression. means she likes your poem, he says to the 8th.

funny scene.

cut to adverts.

HAHAHA. This is SO cute! And I love how Wang So is the only one who understands Hae Soo well enough to decipher her letter. And it's also further proof of how much Hae Soo has changed and helped Wang So in such a short amount of time. Before having met her, would he have looked at the letter and understood it? Probably not, because he wouldn't have known what it was like to feel happiness.

7 hours ago, dhia205 said:

all her acting haters need to learn how to accept reality by now....^_^

never yhink this elegant lady, know how to fangerling too.. 

LOL. I admit I laughed out loud for a few minutes like a crazy person when I saw the screencaps of Myung Hee fangirling over Wang Wook. Her expression is SO funny. XD

7 hours ago, Yippeuni said:

Dear grim reaper, 

You took the wrong life tonight...it's not Lady Hae that I want to be dead...but it's crazy eomma that you should end her life. Next week please make sure you aim the right one....

OMG. I know. T_T I'm honestly so upset that Lady Hae died and I didn't even watch the episode yet. I knew she would sooner or later, but I was really hoping for later because I really like her. This is heartbreaking...

5 hours ago, MadraRua said:

By the way ***dusts off my gifs***

I like the name Eclipses yaya-sisters-smiley.gif for the the collective thread members. Kudos to whoever came up with the name. @akinahana89 I think

Thank you! I'm glad the name Eclipses is being well-received! ^^

And thank you, everyone, for such detailed discussion and live recaps for episode 5. I was not able to watch the live stream today and I haven't had a chance to download the episode either, but I'm satisfied enough with what I read to hold me over until after work. I'm really upset that Lady Hae died and I know I should prepare the tissues tonight... I appreciate each and every contribution to this thread. ^^

• Like 21

3 hours ago, littleloony said:

merely speculating here about YH--- YH said to her mother that she couldnt forget the grudge against queen Yu when they had met before the 'evil banishing ceremony' at the palace. So I think that some bad event had taken place in the past where YH may have been involved (inadvertently maybe) and Queen Yu had taken advantage of the situation to mediate the banishing of the second queen's family from Songhak. Later as Wook married Lady Hae, they were able to come back again.

This may be why YH is mercenary about being in power, either herself or through her brother remarrying. She seems like she would sorely like to enter the palace and take Queen Yu out of the palace/songhak. In this ambition it is puzzling why she would aim for WS instead of Wang Yo.....cant figure that out. Maybe WS had helped her before in something important.

What is true for YH as of now is that she is vengeful.....be it servants or equals. YH also has a cruel streak in her or it may be alternatively called as extreme princess syndrome induced arrogance, brattiness, feelings of entitlement. She may be running her brother's household because his wife is sick.....but that just rubs me the wrong way how she goes about it.

As much as I dont like YH's character, I think it is being portrayed well.....I just dont know how making her so mean serves the story?

Sorry have a question about YH: Am I missing something? Thought she was Wang Wook's full sister and therefore the other princes half sister i.e. they share a father (the king) and therefore she would be Wang So's half sister as well. Am I wrong? How could she have a crush on him if he's her half brother?  :w00t:

• Like 7

Liu Yuxi (772-842): Song of Bamboo Twigs, I of Two (Green. O green is the willow)

1 Green, O green is the willow, placid, peaceful the flow,
2 Hark and I hear on the river, songs from my love, my beau.
3 To the east, the sun is up, to the west, drizzles persist;
4 Though they say the sun is naught, to me, the sun is aglow.

Here is the poem 8th Prince Wang Wook wrote to her. It's beautiful. 

Alternative to line 4

Say aye or no, the glow glows so

Which is more in keeping with the question he is asking her. Can you imagine a guy today writing his love in a poem?? LOL But I will say it was a very romantic gesture. 

Here's the original chinese

劉禹錫: 竹枝詞 二首 其一 (楊柳青青)

1 楊柳青青江水平
2 聞郎江上唱歌聲
3 東邊日出西邊雨
4 道是無晴卻有晴

http://chinesepoemsinenglish.blogspot.ie/2009/04/liu-yuxi-song-of-bamboo-twigs-i.html

t011d30e6158a9b9d20.jpg     

• Like 21

I read the live recaps partially and i wasn't too excited about the episode because LJK's scenes seemed v.less.

But surprisingly i loved every single minute of it. And touching to boot. Good job show ...

But please more of 4th prince from now on. pretty please

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, miles99 said:

Okay so there's something I don't get wang so is the fourth prince and wang wook is the 8th prince but they were born in the same year so how does the order of each prince work out ?

I'm sure one of our chingudeul will correct me if I'm wrong. The rank of the prince will depend on his Mother's place/rank among the wives. Wangso is 4 - his mother is Dowager Empress Yoo (3rd Queen), who is higher ranked than Wang Wook's (8) mother, Empress HwangBo (4th Queen).

• Like 7