[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

2 hours ago, qwenli said:

Actually I really wish there is some back story to yeon hwa , like why is she having a crush on the 4th when everyone consider him ugly in those times also being a mean mercenary as she is, she should be looking for someone strong and powerful but 4th is quite an outcast now, so it doesn't make sense.

merely speculating here about YH--- YH said to her mother that she couldnt forget the grudge against queen Yu when they had met before the 'evil banishing ceremony' at the palace. So I think that some bad event had taken place in the past where YH may have been involved (inadvertently maybe) and Queen Yu had taken advantage of the situation to mediate the banishing of the second queen's family from Songhak. Later as Wook married Lady Hae, they were able to come back again.

This may be why YH is mercenary about being in power, either herself or through her brother remarrying. She seems like she would sorely like to enter the palace and take Queen Yu out of the palace/songhak. In this ambition it is puzzling why she would aim for WS instead of Wang Yo.....cant figure that out. Maybe WS had helped her before in something important.

What is true for YH as of now is that she is vengeful.....be it servants or equals. YH also has a cruel streak in her or it may be alternatively called as extreme princess syndrome induced arrogance, brattiness, feelings of entitlement. She may be running her brother's household because his wife is sick.....but that just rubs me the wrong way how she goes about it.

As much as I dont like YH's character, I think it is being portrayed well.....I just dont know how making her so mean serves the story?

• Like 19

Youku view count is now at 474,160,911. Almost 29 million up from just 2 hours ago!

35 minutes ago, littleloony said:

merely speculating here about YH--- YH said to her mother that she couldnt forget the grudge against queen Yu when they had met before the 'evil banishing ceremony' at the palace. So I think that some bad event had taken place in the past where YH may have been involved (inadvertently maybe) and Queen Yu had taken advantage of the situation to mediate the banishing of the second queen's family from Songhak. Later as Wook married Lady Hae, they were able to come back again.

This may be why YH is mercenary about being in power, either herself or through her brother remarrying. She seems like she would sorely like to enter the palace and take Queen Yu out of the palace/songhak. In this ambition it is puzzling why she would aim for WS instead of Wang Yo.....cant figure that out. Maybe WS had helped her before in something important.

What is true for YH as of now is that she is vengeful.....be it servants or equals. YH also has a cruel streak in her or it may be alternatively called as extreme princess syndrome induced arrogance, brattiness, feelings of entitlement. She may be running her brother's household because his wife is sick.....but that just rubs me the wrong way how she goes about it.

As much as I dont like YH's character, I think it is being portrayed well.....I just dont know how making her so mean serves the story?

About why YH wants to aim for WS instead of Wang Yo, that's because WY is already married (WW said so when YH was pushing him to divorce his wife and remarry, that he would never marry just for political reasons like their brother #3).

• Like 21

53 minutes ago, lovedrama11 said:

@solelylurking I agree . But I thought wook s mother is not so bad :blink:. Anyway am rooting for WS . Love Wook also though ! And my gad LJK is just gorgeous ..... Hate some of the close ups but can watch his all day long ....:wub:

I have feeling Wook's mother is just like her daughter: two faced people. Well, if only one face is beautiful, maybe you can get extra point with two. 

Yeah.. I can't complain with the close up either. Specially when LJK and KHN is on. Their micro expression is jjang!

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, MadraRua said:

I don't mind in the least @bebebisous33, especially not when you give an analysis like that. book-smiley.gif 

I too like the symbolism of the scene. The eclipse closing on her world and opening on his. I like how you draw comparison to the Sun for Wang So and the Moon for Hae Soo. So beautiful. The Sun is of course the bringer of light and life, it is warmth and ever steady. The moon is it's silent partner during the day, only coming out to play at night when the sun sets. The Moon is luminescence and a constant. It stood between the earth and sun to create the solar eclipse. Day and night - they're the perfect yin and yang and an appropriate representation of Wang So and Hae Soo.

Very interesting connection between the moon and the phases of the menstrual cycle. I didn't realize it was so symbolic of women. Thanks for that. I learned something new today  ahaaah-onion-head-emoticon.gif

First of all, thanks for the compliment!! crazy monkeyI would like to add that the moon is also connected to repose and tranquillity, since we sleep during the night. Wang So as sun can also burn. We saw that Wang So is so emotional, he is like fire, when he is hurt. Hae Soo is the one who can calm him down and bring him repose/peace.

Notice that in the last episode, he wanted to see the stars and the moon. He had this smile on his face, he wasn't brooding or emotionally stressed, but calm and quite happy. He saw the moon and he was thinking of Hae Soo. Moreover, their important encounters (bath, yard) always happened during the night. 

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, meahri_1 said:

And they say this drama isn't successful?! I beg to differ. :angry:

exactly...tv rating should not be the only evaluation criteria of drama's success...

22 minutes ago, solelylurking said:

Yeah.. I can't complain with the close up either. Specially when LJK and KHN is on. Their micro expression is jjang!

I second this...laugh pink cat

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, meahri_1 said:

And they say this drama isn't successful?! I beg to differ. :angry:

Guess most viewers are like most of us, watching through devices instead of the tv. I think those being polled for ratings, who obviously prefer watching on their tvs, have different preferences.

• Like 15

Hello dear friends I am loving this drama seriously I am loving every thing the cast the whole beautiful  scenes I am really empressed by the quality of the cinematography of this drama good job  I hope it will  be well appreciated by K audiences  it deserves everything  good .:wub:

The cast LJK , KHN ,IU and others really deserve to be encouraged I love their acting seriously I am amazed by today's  episode  I was crying , laughing and smiling  of happiness  I will wait next episodes  of course .

There are persons who I don't  like as character  are the Queen bcz how she treats her child and the sister (does she love her brother. ..? :confounded:eww) I hope not .

• Like 21

15 minutes ago, matchacake said:

About why YH wants to aim for WS instead of Wang Yo, that's because WY is already married (WW said so when YH was pushing him to divorce his wife and remarry, that he would never marry just for political reasons like their brother #3).

That's right chingu Yo is married and for political reasons but somehow it still doesnt make sense why she would be so into WS when she knows he has no chance as of yet to be in the good grace of the king and court, let alone the line for the throne or any sort of power.

On another note- this ep belonged to Lady Hae and the actress playing her did such a fine job......I felt frustrated at the lost chance between Wook and her to have attained love and and affection in their marriage. Clearly Lady Hae could be quite lively and interesting. If only she could have risen above her times to freely engage with Wook, maybe he would have found her refreshing as well and developed more romantic feelings for her. On the other hand, even aside from the rules and conventions of the times, I think living with Wook would naturally call for circumspection of one's behavior.....you can see it even in Hae su....she strives to be patient, well behaved, polite and is image conscious when she is with Wook. Lady Hae probably didnt have much of a chance of narrowing the emotional distance between them, especially with Wook being all polite and all aloof.

Which makes me wonder a bit......say there was no obstacle to Wook marrying Hae su......how do you think that would fare in the long run.....Wook may be utterly mesmerised by Hae su right now because she is so warm and also such a novelty.....but that would wear off......in time if Hae didnt settle down and kept being impulsive I wonder if that would be acceptable to Wook who clearly has taken pains to cultivate the calm and collected image or would he become more free spirited? I wonder if it isnt infatuation on both sides...Hae su and Wook.

• Like 22

@bebebisous33 i think that symbolization is not only used in Europe. It is usually used in Kdramas. Remember "The Moon Embracing the Sun"? The moon is Han Ga In while the sun is Kim Soohyun. It was even mentioned in one of the scenes. 

@meahri_1 yeah..i think the very first poem 8th gave Rouxi was when Roulan was still alive. 

Regarding YH, i think she has no other options. WY is married. WW is her brother. I bet the crown prince is married, too. WS is still a prince despite being an outcast. He is feared by many and I believe he is a capable and intelligent man, fit to be a King. (In the c-version, he is good in politics and scheming people. He knows how politics works. He is very patient and only strikes when he has a good chance.)

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, NileRose said:

Hello dear friends I am loving this drama seriously I am loving every thing the cast the whole beautiful  scenes I am really empressed by the quality of the cinematography of this drama good job  I hope it will  be well appreciated by K audiences  it deserves everything  good .:wub:

The cast LJK , Haneul ,IU and others really deserve to be encouraged I love their acting seriously I am amazed by today's  episode  I was crying , laughing and smiling  of happiness  I will wait next episodes  of course .

There are persons who I don't  like as character  are the Queen bcz how she treats her child and the sister (does she love her brother. ..? :confounded:eww) I hope not .

Lol be mentally prepared my friend! It is not just some kind of fiction. Actually according to wikipedia  history YH was WS' wife and they had 5 children. The real WS of Goryeo married also the daughter of his brother Wang Yo :grimace:

I know in ancient history it was a common thing to marry your sister or niece but I can't help myself but find this really grosse. It grosses the crap of of me and I really hope the drama will not show the real part of marriage life of WS .

Anyway back to our Drama and actors IU I can't seem to praise this girl enough. I can't imagine her being someone else other than HS. She nails every scenes she is on. She can change from sad and crying to  angry, impulsive and child-like  in a second. Like in the scene, when she was confronting WS about how was she supposed to behave, when her life was in danger and that wanting to live is not a sin.

I also like how she interacts differently with each prince.10th prince will trigger her to be childish and the 8th to behave in a feminine and a lady-like way and withthe 4th prince then she is confident and cool and friendly and the 14 th is like her younger sibling and she treats him in a motherly way. 

IU is portraying all of this and she is doing a terrific job. I don't really understand the hating, bashing and harsh criticism she apparently is facing now on social media in Korea. ( if anyone could explain to me why does she have many anti-fans , I will be thankful )

I still didn't watch episode 5 .. I will be back to continue discussing the progress of the story. 

• Like 23

1 hour ago, KdramaSwimmer said:

I decided to read all comments and then start replying but I like your inputs and here something from me...

1. In preview we  heard WS asking WW do you like that gal (or chilld) but we never got to listen WWs response. And as we know his persona is not like he just admit until he has done the calculation with all pros and cons so I doudt he would say yes. He can either deny or just ignore the question or question back WS why he is interested when I asked you to stay away from HS.

2. And eventhough WW says Yes to above question, we still dont know what HS feels, as you said it can infatuation (and i am all with you in that) and then we will have WS all set to  make her realize what real love is different than infatuation. And even if its love she will not be happy to be WWs wife cause she was not happy abt the concept of having another wife when she asked Eun will you bring another wife if your wife is sick. She will feel its not right morally to marry WW.

3. Why WS asked WW that question ? Possibly HS is all in his mind and heart these days and before reaching out to conclusion about his true feelings for HS he wants to be sure he is not coming in between 2 love birds (just my take...we will have to wait to see real reason this question was put). So in case WW-HS ship is already sailed he would'nt bother HS by telling his feeling and if its not he can pursue her with no strings attached.

As conclusion I'd say WW is more of a crush for HS, whom she can stare from afar, adore, admire but scared of maintaining her image in front of him, what he will think if she does not understand the poem.

With WS its more like a buddy relationship where she can bicker, make all those faces, smirk, taunt without worrying abt what he will think abt her and how it will impact their bonding.

And the more you are open in a relationship more its chance to be strong and sturdy to face all hardships in future. Its not based on those volatile image maintaining strategy which can be ripped in pieces the moment you tough times in your life. So WS-HS makes more sense to me than WW-HS.

Thanks for completing my analysis about Hae Soo and Wang wook. Your great analysis made me also think too. What will Wang Wook answer to Wang So? 

The question is why Wang So is asking him. First, he doesn't know what was the smiley about and so far, he doesn't know about the poem. Either he hears the story from Baek Ahn or he realises it himself. So why is he curious to know? IS it because he sees Hae Soo as his person (friend, ally) and he wants to make her happy or he has already decided to have Hae Soo? 

In the last episode, Wang So was pretty clear what he wanted from his marriage. So in my opinion, he could be already looking for a partner and he has set his eyes on Hae Soo. I mean, he had been busy all his life trying to survive so he could have answered, he had no idea about marriage as he had just settled in the palace. But the only real encounter between Wang So and Hae Soo in the episode 5 showed us how impressed she was about his appearance and she made him compliment. Wang So knows that Hae Soo is far from superficial: she doesn't care about his rank or his looks because when he was covered in blood, she didn't avoid him at all. So her compliments are genuine and he must have been touched by it. Besides, Wang So is still an outcast, who would like to marry someone like him... so he has more chances to marry someone with less connection and power. 

Actually, I can imagine that Wang So is already interested in Hae Soo, but if Wang Wook definitely doesn't answer to Wang So, this could mean that Wang So sees it as not a meddling. Yet, if Wang So hears about the story about the poem from Baek Ahn, then it is different since it is pretty clear that he knows what is going on. As conclusion, Wang So decides to help Hae Soo first and he needs Wang Wook's support. Besides, the word "child" he used could be seen as a clue that Wang So is not interested in her yet. On the other hand, Wang So could try to hide his true feelings/interest as well. As conclusion, anything is possible.

Finally, lady Hae will be the reason why Baek Ahn will support Wang So and will be against Wang Wook. The 13th prince loved lady Hae and resented him for not loving his wife. Yet, I believe, Baek Ahn misunderstood Wang Wook too. The latter did love his wife, but not in the same way like Baek Ahn did. 

@ShinRaeMi About the symbolisation of the sun and moon, I wasn't sure if it is also seen in other cultures, since I am a History/French/German teacher, I could only speak for Europe. I thought, this could be applied in Asia too, but like I said, I was not 100% sure.

• Like 21

On 9/6/2016 at 3:45 AM, qwenli said:

Actually I really wish there is some back story to yeon hwa , like why is she having a crush on the 4th when everyone consider him ugly in those times also being a mean mercenary as she is, she should be looking for someone strong and powerful but 4th is quite an outcast now, so it doesn't make sense.

I can see why, she can use his two powerful clans to her advantage, probably not to help WS ascend to the throne but their child will have so much backing in the future if she wishes to become Queen Regent/Dowager(not sure what they call it this period-used to watching Shilla instead of Goryeo kingdom) Historically speaking, WS belonged to 2 of the most powerful clans of his time. The Yoo clan and the Kang clan. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@littleloony The reason why YH is so interested in Wang So is simple: she hates his mother and she knows how Wang So has been treated by his mother therefore she must think that he hates his mother. In my opinion, she knows the real story about Wang So (hostage, scar from the mother aso). She doesn't listen to the rumours like the princes. She is smart enough to dig up the truth.

Right now, she is right, but before the episode 4, she was wrong. Wang So was still hoping for love and recognition.

The other reason is that despite his bad reputation, he is the 4th prince so he is definitely closer to become the next king than her own brother.

Finally, because of their conversation in the episode 3 (she treated his wound), Wang So seemed to be quite close to her, as he said that he was curious about her. So they must have seen each other, when they were younger. I can imagine, she could have been close to Wang So too. But since he was sent to Shinju, he lost her out of sight.  

• Like 11

Just now, TeBe said:

Lol be mentally prepared my friend! It is not just some kind of fiction. Actually according to wikipedia  history YH was WS' wife and they had 5 children. The real WS of Goryeo married also the daughter of his brother Wang Yo :grimace:

I know in ancient history it was a common thing to marry your sister or niece but I can't help myself but find this really grosse. It grosses the crap of of me and I really hope the drama will not show the real part of marriage life of WS .

Anyway back to our Drama and actors IU I can't seem to praise this girl enough. I can't imagine her being someone else other than HS. She nails every scenes she is on. She can change from sad and crying to  angry, impulsive and child-like  in a second. Like in the scene, when she was confronting WS about how was she supposed to behave, when her life was in danger and that wanting to live is not a sin.

I also like how she interacts differently with each prince.10th prince will trigger her to be childish and the 8th to behave in a feminine and a lady-like way and withthe 4th prince then she is confident and cool and friendly and the 14 th is like her younger sibling and she treats him in a motherly way. 

IU is portraying all of this and she is doing a terrific job. I don't really understand the hating, bashing and harsh criticism she apparently is facing now on social media in Korea. ( if anyone could explain to me why does she have many anti-fans , I will be thankful )

I still didn't watch episode 5 .. I will be back to continue discussing the progress of the story. 

ThanK you @TeBe for making  me understand actually I won't  be shocked especially  it happened that Pharaohs kings and their wives who they are their real  sisters but I am shocked bcz it is 1st time that Korean TV  historical  drama will make this kind of love which I am against  it I hope the same the writer won't  choose this type  of love to be something  even the real history  is saying that bcz I will be grossed as I am happy  that wife is died to accept the 8th prince love for HS bcz I don't  like  it that he is looking or just thinking   of someone else while his wife is still beside him I hate those types of men .

I think  the ratings are  low not bcz the hate toward IU may be the Chinese version  is in their hearts and the Korean viewers of this version think of loyalty  like Nodame Cantable  may be it the original  drama in their memories so they won't  betray  it .

• Like 9

Hi chingus!

I came Home after a too long Day - and I first checked the recaps - than I watched the RAW and now I´m here again.

I´m sadly not sure If I will be able to wait for the subs today... wasn´t that tired that early for a longer time. So I guess I need to sleep soon. But first I have to write at least one Comment here.

What can I say... that was not enough Wang So for me today. :D

But even his Scenes today where rare they left a deep impact on me again. They where importend and wonderful.

I loved to see him standing Side by Side - to say it real in the Center - with his Brothers and it was kinda cute and sad at the same time how he observed them to do everything right. He is really not used to the Life from a Prince.

I love how he stole the StarGazers Room. Two Reasons as I believe - first - seeing the Stars reminds him on Hae Soo (and her watching the Stars and admire the Snow was for me the starting point for Wang So to fall in Love). But I believe he needs to feel not imprisoned too - so he can sleep well and have no bad dreams - as Hae Soo told him.

When he met Hae Soo outside in the Garden was very importend. I loved how he hided her behind his back - felt for me like - you don´t like this Women - oh goo Girl - you are so right. I will not even let her see you don´t worry.

But then he had to worry. His Expressions again - thinking Hae Soo hears it all - and Mother saying something again - thinking she can just speak freely. Wang So was really relieved when he found Hae Soos Hiding Spot empty - but she heard it all before - and like that he can see the real Wang So more and more. Even is she never wanted it - she can understand him better and better and she is the only one.

The Scene with Princess Yeon Hwa (yes even I will learn her name) and Wang Yo was very importend too - I need the subs to get to the roots - but somehow those lines are always importend when the two Brothers tries there boundaries against each other. Okay - that is wrong - it is always Yo who tries to hurt So with words - but this man can fight back not only with weapons. Al teast when he is not taken by total surprise again. But he never awaits something nice from Yo - so he will never be able to ... I take that back.. maybe he will be ablte to hit his aim - when he use Hae Soo later.

I loved the Flashbacks from Lady Hae today. Oh she was wonderful. Even reading the recaps made me so sad. But it was sure that we have to endure that. They made it clear from the first Moment that Lady Hae was fragil and ill. I wonder who it will be Hae Soo will be sold to in the next Episode. I love the Preview.

Maybe the two different Versions can be seen like the Brothers will work together this time to rescue Hae Soo. They share one feeling - she is importend. And when it is not about the fight to win her - but a plan to rescue her they - as I believe - will work hand in hand. So maybe Wang Wook will bring her out but he must returen fast so noone will know it was him and Wang So waits outside - but he show his Face before so the one getting her could not be him. But he will take over Hae So...  And than I´m a bit lost - maybe because I´m real tired.. is she already a Maid when she was at the Cottage with Wang So? Sorry - I had to know that but my Head is not working probably right now... have to check it later. To protect her Wang Wook will be okay that Wang So brings her in a Hiding Place? About that part I have my doubts... only if it is for a very short period...

I give up -   I will sleep now...  Even I´m sad to not wait anymore... I have to. at least I could watch it RAW today.

Thanx for the great recaps - the Pictures and all the comments here!

• Like 15