[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

6 hours ago, irilight said:

Welcome to Soompi and Signal thread, @xiennora   :)  what good points you raise.

But, @bebebisous33, maybe my memory fails me - but I thought that the Injoon High School rape case was listed on the note that PHY found in LJH's notebook, and based on that - he asked LJH to tell him anything he finds out about the case. In that respect, PHY knew that LJH was going to be involved in that high school rape case;  But -   LJH, on his part was not initially involved, but based on PHY's request - he put himself on that team when KBS took a team there.  KBS was even unhappy to see LJH come there.

We do know that this note - just like the whiteboard, changes as things outside change. i.e. the serial murder case by Jin-Woo was dropped from that note, as it was solved in the past.

thank you for ratings info, @Mico Ricco

@MissSquint, thank you for the Netizen Buzz article connecting our high school rape case to the real case of Miryang rape case. That case was also featured in an excellent film - Han Gong-Ju -  which won many awards.

It is so appalling to me. No girl, certainly a high school girl needs to go through that. And the assailants to go free is horrifying in my mind.

There was a similar case I heard of (not in Korea), where the girl many years later, won her case and the assailants were convicted of rape some 10-12 years late by the Supreme Court of that nation.

But that's what has changed. LJH wouldn't have gone there if PHY hadn't mentioned it, since it is outside their jurisdiction.

Another thing is that it seems to be a habit of KBJ to warn his victim before killing them. To ACS, he said he could kill him and ACS replied he knew about it

- To LJH, he adviced him to "watch his back", implying he is about to be betrayed and killed.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never post anything in here before but i am a loyal supporter of this drama. Love the director's work after Misaeng. I am glad i watch the drama. 

Kudos to the writer. I wasn't happy with Sign. I thought it started well but i was disappointed towards the end. I was hesitant to start Sign because of the writer. But I am so glad the writer proves me wrong. What a solid story. 

I knew Lee Jae Han was dead but i couldn't help tearing up when they found his body. I am not sure if they could change the past, but if they could I really wish that he would be alive. 

4 hours ago, Mico Ricco said:

@irilight Thanks for the wonderful stills on KJW.

A really true gem by PHY quote :-

"There are those who are born monsters;

but there are also those who are made into monsters by people".

Which one do you suppose is applicable to KBJ? His background wasn’t really shown just that he was already on the crooked path even when he was still on the lower rank.

@sandra_8 I have watched Misaeng and it was well produced that it won many recognition (local + international).  l am glad the same Misaeng PD is handling Signal.

Both LJH and PHY knew that the past (and future) can still be changed so l am keeping my fingers crossed that LJH somehow survived?:)

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Another thing is that it seems to be a habit of KBJ to warn his victim before killing them. To ACS, he said he could kill him and ACS replied he knew about it

It was a mistranslation though. KBJ actually said, "Even though you're a section chief, I could still fire you right this instant",  to which ACS replied "I know" and subsequently handed in his resignation letter, which means he'd rather resign now than wait to be fired by KBJ.

There was another mistranslated sub, during the flashback when CSH was reminiscing about the moment she "fell" for LJH after he did the coffee lady duty in her stead, she said "Is it because of the cold?" as she touched her burning cheeks. That was such a cute moment, I can't help but squee along with CSH. Take note other drama directors: That, is how you do "the moment you fall in love", subtle but effective, unlike those that used super obvious musical cues *cough* DoTS *cough*.

Every time I watch an episode of Signal, I thank the drama gods for giving us an ensemble cast who can actually act in this drama. They made all the difference, seriously. Of course, the roles of the director and writer are crucial (and we know now that this combo works very well), but I'm just blown away week after week by the level of acting delivered here. Jo Jin Woong, Kim Hye Soo, Lee Je Hoon, everyone has a chance to shine. Even the villains, such as Jang Hyun Seung acted so well that I wanted to throw something at the screen every time he came up. And special mention to Lee Sang Yeob for giving a superbly layered performance that elevated his character from just being another serial killer . Man, he's good.

2 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

@dash9almost on the verged of tears too.. The most difficult part to watched is when PSW being dragged by 2 policemans... Small PHY must feel so scared and his parents was not even in home at that time and when PSW told him not to worry and because its cold he should go inside...

And to realize that its from real life cases, its just so horrendous. I wonder if OCD supermarket killer also from real cases...

It was even heartbreaking to see PSW dad simply believe his son committed the crime,.... whoah... To have his class mates turn on him, and his own Dad disappear.... PHY was too young to protect his brother. 

6 hours ago, Mico Ricco said:

@irilight@louisawatson

It's kind of touching when the serial killer (KJW) murdered his last victim (YSY).

Thanks to the one-man hard works of detective LJH, KJW criminal record stopped at only two (street) victims and hence it can never be considered a serial murder case. 

After KJW got caught by LJH so both KJW and YSY only see each other for the first time at the prison-hospital.

Love at first sight :wub:

yeah, but they cannot really have a "happy" ending since he is sentenced to life =X

well, i guess it could have turned out worse like a previous timeline

1 hour ago, flybabyfly said:

Which one do you suppose is applicable to KBJ? His background wasn’t really shown just that he was already on the crooked path even when he was still on the lower rank.

I would say both. His flaws are greed, ambition, selfishness and the way he values people based on their financial situation is disgusting. So because of this, he was able to move faster in his career. Hence he was like that before he met Jang. In the hand, he has no sense of justice. But as time passed on, he loses more and more his sense of morality.

It was a sad episode and the mystery of the lost body of LJH finally answered here. I really hope KBJ n the shady Assemblyman will pay a heavy price for all that they'd done, so many ppl died n 2 innocent lives are lost(LJH n PSW). I love how they weave the story and every actors/actresses gave their best portrayal of their character, it was emotional watching all the cases they solved. Pls Show, don't let the main leads die or I'll cry a river at the injustice! I just hate it when almost everyone in that town n the police are bought over and they just accuse a poor boy who has no power to do anything to take the fall. I can't wait for what's coming nx, maybe LJH can hv a proper police burial once his name is cleared. Keep on investigating CSH n PHY, glad that now she knows except for the walkie-talkie. If she can just speak w LJH over the walkie-talkie n tell their feelings....I think I will cry...:tears: 

Superb as always, SIGNAL fighting!!

30 minutes ago, Mico Ricco said:

@flybabyflyas you said it that we that his background was not really shown so, we cannot really be sure which is him.:)

I disagree. Well, after LJH pushed him with his car, KBJ was confronted by LJH: How could he afford such a house with the income of a detective? 

Just this question reveals that KBJ wasn't rich from the start, because LJH as meticulous detective wouldn't had mentioned the big villa, if he hadn't checked the social background of KBJ. He wouldn't have asked, if he had known that his parents could afford such a house... if so, he would have thought that KBJ was receiving help from his parents through their connections. The other clue is that he is called a hunting dog, implying that he is lower than in the ranking = comes from a lower social class. He is a parvenu and as such he wants to hide his social origins. That's why he is so harsh on poor people because he doesn't want to get connected and reminded of his true origins.

In the end, KBJ reminds me a lot of "Bel Ami" from MAupassant (French writer), a womanizer who climbed the social ladder by using his goodlooks in order to achieve his goal: become powerful and wealthy. Here, KBJ is the same, but he is using his position and network to improve his career. He is the prototype of an antihero!!   

19 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

.... How could he afford such a house with the income of a detective?  .....he is called a hunting dog, implying that he is lower than in the ranking = comes from a lower social class. He is a parvenu and as such he wants to hide his social origins. That's why he is so harsh on poor people because he doesn't want to get connected and reminded of his true origins.....

:) I agree with your views.

I am still scratching my head over the multiple involvements of that assemblyman. His son the instigator/rapist? There was an earlier episode where LJH had a brush with the assemblyman.......

Anyway, I reckoned that I can't do any housework or repair work while i watch this drama unless I wanna burn a hole with an iron or get electrocuted by the appliance.:rolleyes:

February 28, 2016

'Signal' sets another ratings record

By Kwon Ji-youn The Korea Times

650(1).gif

Scenes from the 12th episode of tvN's "Signal" /Courtesy of tvN

tvN's "Signal" set another ratings record on Saturday, breaking 10 percent with a startling turn of events in the 12th episode.

The story traveled back to 1999, when Lee Jae-han (played by Cho Jin-woong) was in the fictional city of Inju investigating a case involving the sexual assault of a middle-school aged girl by more than 10 schoolboys. The boys are sons of wealthy and powerful families who team up with the police to have another schoolboy set up.

The boy serves time in a juvenile facility and commits suicide when he leaves.

The narrative then fast-forwards to 2015, when Lee, who had been aware of the truth about the rape case, is found dead by fellow investigators Cha Soo-hyun (Kim Hye-soo) and Park Hae-young (Lee Je-hoon), the younger brother of the schoolboy who served time for a crime he did not commit.

The case is based on a true story. At least 41 male high school students gang raped several middle school and high school girls over the course of 11 months in Miryang in 2004. The case provoked controversy due to police mistreatment of the victims and lenient handling of the offenders. 

jykwon@ktimes.com

Still trying to collect my thoughts and emotions after Ep12... but here's the backstory to the photos shared by @Mico Ricco on p52... thank you Lee Je Hoon and Jo Jin Woong, not only for your brilliant performances, but your compassion for violent crimes victims and their families, and your efforts in bringing greater awareness and help to them.

20160226163036_124_99_20160226164003.jpg

cr. Sports Seoul

• In conjunction with the National Police Agency, Signal recently undertook a “storyfunding” effort. Stars Lee Je-hoon and Jo Jin-woong released the results of their campaign (over 1,000 people contributed 11.7 million won, which will be donated to the families of victims of violent crimes) and expressed their gratitude via handwritten signs. [Sports Seoul]

cr. Dramabeans

Guest skeletonworks

Ok. I thought Detective Lee Jaehan was killed when he was searching for the corpse at the asylum? The case where some nurse kidnap a school girl so that she can buy luxury item. Why suddenly he was killed because of the Injoo case? It doesn't make sense to me... Can anyone enlighten me on this?

One more thing that I'd like to rant. Why do they always have to meet to tell a secret?! Can't they just talk over the phone?!!

Hmmm... At least this series is bearable compared to this screenwriter's other series, Sign.. That one is just.. From beginning to the end, the culprit roamed free... 

@skeletonworks My theory is that he was tailed while searching for the body in the asylum by those who wanted to stop him from his ongoing investigations into the Injoo case - in other words, by the time that first transmission happened, he was focused on two cases.

I agree about talking on the phone vs meeting in secret, ranking up there alongside with villains wearing black outfits and baseball caps, which thankfully we are spared. However, in the case of Chief Ahn, it could be that he asked PHY to meet him because he had incriminating evidence which he wanted to pass to him, evidence which may have been taken away by KSB after the stabbing.

Archived