Soompi Forums is moving!!

soomp

Lmangla said: Cool @akinahana89. just as feedback, the reason I am asking so much about the reaction buttons is my experience on other message boards for English language shows. I can't read the mood sometimes just based on the posts ~ like I couldn't tell if discussions were heated or people were laughing. since we are international community here, the buttons helped in letting folks know what is going on especially when language levels and communication differs. It also helped set the tone and mood for each thread ~ some were more serious while others just loved to laugh. sounds silly but am going to miss that. but that said, good luck on the transition. :)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, I'd like to thank all Soompi staff for your immense dedication. I'm not a native speaker in English, so practicing my English here is always both challenging and fascinating for me. Thank you for establishing this forum.

Second, in this forum I've found friends that I never had before. So thank you again for setting up this forum in such ways that help users engage with one another. I was member to many other forums before (my first forum day was dated back in 2003), but so far Soompi provides me with the best sharing experience.

To be honest, the reason why I post and do some research for the post here is the reaction buttons. Not only these buttons make me feel appreciated (pardon my vanity), it also helps me appreciate other people's efforts.

I work in academia, where appreciation is difficult to earn. Hence, getting the reactions from other Soompi members strengthens my confidence in expressing my opinions. In short, it makes me feel that I'm not so stupid after all.

To provide the staff with more examples of the advantages of the reaction buttons, I would share my experience. Once again, I apologize for the vanity. Some of my posts here (in ''Hyde Jekyll Me", and "Angry Mom", for example) that other members consider "insightful" were the basis of my actual work-related papers.

In addition, whenever my post is considered "insightful", it becomes my self-esteem booster. It makes me believe that somehow I can write--no matter how dismally-- a comprehensible essay for, let's say, IELTS or TOEFL tests, and perhaps for academic purposes (for some scholarships that I'm currently pursuing and conferences) as well.

Without the reaction buttons, will there be any other way to show direct appreciation? I'm anxious. Will I lose my motivation to post and practice my English? What about other users with similar motivation?

Once again, thank you in advance. The staff here are the best.

selenette said:Without the reaction buttons, will there be any other way to show direct appreciation? I'm anxious. Will I lose my motivation to post and practice my English? What about other users with similar motivation?

I am not quite certain what to expect of the new forum yet... as it is, since it's coming, I'll just have to prepare myself that certain features that I love about Soompi would not be available anymore, such as seeing (sometimes) rows of avatar icons littered at the bottom of a wonderful post... which in the case of, say Shippers Paradise contest, truly sets the mood and encourages those whose entries are appreciated.
Will all our existing PMs be migrated to the new forum? There are currently group PMs that I am a part of, which I would be sad to see gone, since they tie so intrinsically to the wonderful memories and spazzing with friends made on this platform.
Looking forward to better things on the new forum! Time for this ahjumma to learn something new again... :P :-bd

Lmangla said: ebullient said: selenette said:Without the reaction buttons, will there be any other way to show direct appreciation? I'm anxious. Will I lose my motivation to post and practice my English? What about other users with similar motivation?
Reactions are available in the format of like (+) and dislike (-).
just feedback @ebullient, am concerned on how the dislike (-) button will play out. in other message boards, have seen folks use the dislike button to punish those they disagree with and it just leads to unnecessary heating up. perhaps, the button should be renamed or another option entirely, like LOL or awesome or insightful. even at soompi, people tend to use OT sparingly but when it is clicked, people feel genuinely upset. since we are international community, it is easy to misunderstand because not everyone will read and understand the post in the same manner and humour can be lost etc.
We're discussing with IPB at the moment to determine if comparable reactions to Vanilla are available, but there's no guarantee.

Good to know that the badges and old threads will stay! Aww and it's too bad, I do like the reactionary buttons that follows every post in the forum too. I dont know whether adding a "-" (minus) button would be good though, as it can fuel negativity in the threads? Well, just my opinion~

So I might miss this in the first post, but where is the temporary forum? (As in, link please?)  :D

I agree with selenette the reaction buttons on the forums are one of the best features.... its unique.The new like and dislike buttons seems too simple and perhaps boring. The dislike button will be similar to your OT one and boy does that open up a lot of heated discussion lol! It may be fun to read but definitely not to take in. One cannot help but be offended. I hope you wont include the dislike or OT buttons. Your forums is a place for freedom of speech that is fun and entertaining for all. Thats what I like about it and I dont mind visiting it so much.

Goodluck with the movement. I hope all goes well. :-bd

about reaction bottom , i am thinking , if there is only two options in new forums , we can use thanks and thanks a lot or(  I like and I Love) , not dislike and like , and there is a post can't got thanks or thanks a lot ( I Like and I Love )  number in compare of average of other posts  , we can consider that post is not good in point view of users, in other word that post is not so likable , something like that ,we have dislike expression in the background . 

I still remember when there are only like (+) and dislike (-) buttons, it was a wee bit boring and definitely caused a lot of tension between opposing opinions. I hope, like in FB, there's just the like (+) button, especially, if there's really no way to get the reaction buttons. 
The reaction buttons is what set Soompi apart from other drama forums, I will miss it. :((
I hope the migration goes smoothly. 

Hope the transition goes smoothly and thank you for the great job at keeping Soompi going :)
 My question about the impact this transition will have is: If the reaction buttons are gone will we still be able to improve our status by getting a certain number of (+) or will it be based solely on the amount of posts?

Thank you and keep being awesome! \m/

May I also know whether we will still be able to retain the panel colors unique to our individual user groups e.g. SoGonger, Goguma, etc, as well as our individual signatures? These hold a special meaning to us, and we would love to be able to keep them if we can. Thank you.

I am one of those people who likes the reaction buttons because a simple dislikes can cause hard feelings and start fan and thread wars.  It can be used by people who are not regulars to bash especially in the shipping threads where fans who don't like a couple paring show up to cause problems.  I am worried about how a dislike button will effect the mood and feeling of a thread

I started as a programmer back, before I chose a different path and I do understand why some changes are necessary, but I will miss the reaction buttons they were superb better than the ones in other like facebook where I feel a like is not enough like or dislike is not enough either but why call it like or dislike maybe calling it something different would have a different meaning, maybe.  In any case any change is scary so good luck and let's see what happens soon. 

Archived