Soompi Forums is moving!!

soomp

Actually, one of the things that had always impressed me about Soompi was how user-friendly and useful it was.  I was impressed enough to recommend the site to the new entrepreneurs of a streaming anime and drama site, who were creating a forum section for their website.  (Not sure if they ever took my advice.  But, they do have features similar to the previous version of Soompi.)

And, the reason why I was so impressed was because I knew how difficult it is to create a system to satisfy all the user wants and needs.  (I've been party to migration of major systems.  I've been party to many fit-gap sessions.)  The need to migrate always stems from increased users, which create more demands on the system. 

And, from my experience it is highly unlikely that  there is a programming system, in the world, that can be purchased and fully satisfy the needs of an entity such as Soompi.  The needs are too intricate and convoluted.  So, unless a system is built in-house, which is mega-bucks and a long process, we can only rely on the best available system . . . and make do.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

victorb said:  Hope the transition goes smoothly and thank you for the great job at keeping Soompi going :)
 My question about the impact this transition will have is: If the reaction buttons are gone will we still be able to improve our status by getting a certain number of (+) or will it be based solely on the amount of posts?

Thank you and keep being awesome! \m/

Auntie Mame said:
". . .And, from my experience it is highly unlikely that  there is a programming system, in the word, that can be purchased and fully satisfy the needs of an entity such as Soompi.  The needs are too intricate and convoluted.  So, unless a system is built in-house, which is mega-bucks and a long process, we can only relay on the best available system . . . and make do."

Only official threads of Korean dramas are active during offline?

How about other dramas of other countries ?

I also visit this Love Sick thread. It's a popular Thai Series:

http://forums.soompi.com/en/discussion/2024175/current-thailand-drama-2014-love-sick-the-series

Will this be active during offline?

Guest knockblock

I'm enlightened by the steps being taken and precarious at the same time.

If improving the forum experience is what the aim is to do like is being stated, it has to live up to its billing or close. Can we do things to make it in a way where the threads on the forum are more interesting? Is there negotiating this?

Is the built-in  reaction button  like (+)  and dislike ( - )  can't be changed to other reaction button?
Honestly, I really do prefer the reaction buttons in this vanilla forum.
It encourages me to post more comments.  I hope there's other alternative for this.
Soompi forum is my favorite forum site where we could discuss  with others about dramas we like.

If the like/thumbs up (+)  and dislike/thumbs down ( - ) buttons are going to be in the new forum, I'm afraid that I might go back being a silent lurker mode again and not posting much comments on the forum and threads or just being a silent visitor passing by.
I'm going to be sad about this. :(

I think some clarification is needed.  Which specific threads will have temporary official threads?  Everything?  Currently airing dramas?  Actor/actress threads?

And I don't think anyone asked this already: what about drafts?  I have a couple that are sitting there and probably aren't very important if I haven't actually posted them yet, but it would be nice to know for sure if they're going to stay or go when the move happens.

Anyway, good luck and thanks for putting in so much effort to keep things going through the transition.

stuartjmz said: victorb said:  Hope the transition goes smoothly and thank you for the great job at keeping Soompi going :)
 My question about the impact this transition will have is: If the reaction buttons are gone will we still be able to improve our status by getting a certain number of (+) or will it be based solely on the amount of posts?

Thank you and keep being awesome! \m/

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - April 25
Current status: --- ON TIME! ---

Q: When is the migration?
A: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - around 10:00 am or 11:00 am (Eastern Time)

Q: How long the transition will last?
A: Approximately one week according to our new host.

Q: Who will be behind Soompi's new forum software?
A: Invision Power Services Inc. This company provided Soompi the original forum software back in the old days.

Q: What will be officially transferred to Invision?
A: 
  • Every thread since October 2005.
  • Private messages including group messages
  • Signatures
  • Individual user groups (Goguma, SoGonger, Healerite, etc.)
  • User roles
  • User ranks (trainee to immortal including staff positions)
  • Reputation points
  • Bookmarks

Q: Why are we moving?
A: The team is switching the platform in order to improve the forum experience and fix increasing technical issues.

Q: What won't be transferred to Invision?
A: 
    [*]Reaction buttons[*]Badges
  • Saved drafts

Q: Are there alternatives to reaction buttons?
A: Yes, the buttons will take the form of "Like This" (no negative votes). There are no comparable options available with Invision in regards of reaction buttons. However, the team is searching if there are custom plugins to make this feature possible.

Q: What happens to the "Off Topic" and "Flag" buttons?
A: There is a report feature on Invision. Further details will be available soon.

Q: How can members live without the forums for one week?
A: Soompi will have temporary forums for current members to use.

Q: When members have access to the temporary forums/new forums?
A: The availability of the forums will be announced soon.

Q: How do members login for the temporary forums/new forums?
A: Soompi ID will work. Members can also login via Facebook & Google.

Q: How do members contact Soompi for login problems?
A: Contact this following email: support@soompi.com - It is recommended to send a message with the email address members have signed their accounts with. Please provide your username including your query. It will be easier for us to identify users and prevent account theft. It is highly advisable to update username and password before Tuesday.

Q: Which threads do members have access in the temporary forums?
A: We don't know which thread will be available at this time. To be more specific, every thread created in the temporary forums will be merged back to the real forums when it goes live. We will probably have another announcement soon before the shutdown.

Q: How do members post pictures, videos and spoilers? Rules?!
A: A guide similar to this will be available shortly. Rules will be readjusted if needed.

Q: Are there any surprises once the migration is over?
A: Yes, the Soompi team will be dancing with pom-poms to welcome members. (not really)cheer3-onion-head-emoticon.gif
The staff members are planning to bring members some exclusive events and features in order to expand the community and enhance the forum experience.

Hanyeoun said:

Q: Are there alternatives to reaction buttons?
A: Yes, the buttons will take the form of "Like" (+) & "Dislike" (-) buttons. There are no comparable features available with Invision in regards of reaction buttons. However, the team is searching if there are custom plugins to make this feature possible.

uglypearl said:How about in the new forum, will we also able to see who pressed like (+) and dislike (-) buttons?

Yes, it will have this form. If there many members liking a post, click on "others". An overlay panel will appear and display everyone who have liked the content. (I erased their names for safety purposes.)
Untitled6.jpg

uglypearl

said:

Are the numbers of dislikes or the people who disliked the post be also appearing in the new forum?

Is "dislike" button feature the same as "unlike" button in facebook?

Between them, I prefer the "unlike" (taking back the "like")  button more than the negative dislike button.

On Invision, the "dislike" feature doesn't show publicly whoever dislikes the post. It will only show to the person who made the content including the staff.
Whoever dislikes the post will need to provide a reason why.
EDIT: We are currently investigating if there is an option of disabling the dislike feature.

uglypearl said: Hanyeoun said: uglypearl said:Are the numbers of dislikes or the people who disliked the post be also appearing in the new forum?

Between them, I prefer the "unlike" (taking back the "like")  button more than the negative dislike button.

ebullient said: uglypearl said: Hanyeoun said: uglypearl said:Are the numbers of dislikes or the people who disliked the post be also appearing in the new forum?

Finally! The team did ask for input, in the form of a very well advertised forum survey. The survey asked about users concerns and improvements they would like to see. Users have been complaining for years, and some believe that the initial switch contributed to the decline of the non-kdrama threads. Hopefully, a switch to a more robust forum, will get things moving again.

Regarding Likes and Dislikes, you can switch them to 'up votes or down votes' on IPB and you can even change the image used, so if you don't want the + and - sign, just switch them to a smiley face, frown face, heart, etc. IPB is also highly customizable, and the team should be able to get someone from the IPB forums to restore the reaction buttons, once things are stabilized.

Archived