[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I'm now team Dukseon to be honest. It's all up to her.

Initially I wanted the husband to be Taek, but you get caught up in the stories and the small things that the drama focuses on. I've cried more times in this drama than any other k-drama I've watched, and not because of some tragic, highly unlikely death by accident or disease, or because of over-exaggerated drama, but because of the love within the family ties and the nostalgia of being like the characters at some point.

After all the drama went through to show us a side of Junghwan that nobody else saw (from his furtive, secret glances at Dukseon in the past to his private moment in his jeep as he was resigned to his fate), I think that it's Junghwan in the end. I was team Taek, but you can't help but root for all of them, Junghwan the most. Maybe I've become Junghwan-biased along the way, but Junghwan just feels right, to be honest. And maybe I wanted Taek for myself more LOL he's just my style.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi i'm newbie here. cant help but want to join in this thread lol couldnt agree more with you. i was team taek but you know as the drama goes by, i cant help but fell for junghwan too. so yes maybe i think junghwan is the husband. and taek for myself gosh he's so my type too lol

22 minutes ago, melissala said:

Everyone is so wrapped up with the husband fighting mess, but I really loved the sister fighting scene in episode 18.  It was too cute.  DS was purposely trying to annoy her sister in the morning it seems, but Bora wasn't yelling as loud and hitting like she used to.  Both of them have grown up so much and their relationship is much more caring and understanding now you can tell.  I wish the writer had done more with sisterly bound.  I hope there is still more to come in the last two episodes. 

Me too. 

I had the same feelings as their father - it feels like home when the two sisters quarrel, it feels like people are living in the house when you hear noises of quarreling in the house. I relate to this so much. You can fight with your siblings, hate them for invading your private space, pick them on habits you hate about them and even fight for the laptop, TV and other home belongings. You always wish that you're the only child so you don't have to share your room and belongings with another person.

But when they are not there anymore, you tend to miss all the bickers, quarrels and fights you used to do with them and... even if you hate to admit it... you miss them a lot. 

I think the writer did very well with the sister bond even though it was very subtle. 

We see DS feeling empathetic when she saw BR's small room when she studied for the bar exam, breaking down and finally realising what her sister went through.

We see BR breaking into a small smile when DS was so happy getting new shoes from their mum. Despite that, she wasn't jealous and asking anything from her mum.

We see BR being a strong sister in front of DS when their grandma died, telling her not to make their parents worry.

We see BR advising NE to be considerate about buying new shoes and justifying why DS got shoes instead of him since their parents just started saving more money than usual, being considerate as usual.

We see DS not "hating" her sister for whatever happened to SW and her, as you know, we watch too kdrama makjang to see sisters fall out over a guy lmao. 

There are so many subtle scenes that show their sisterhood but it was never very obvious since they hide their feelings very well, especially BR. 

@chocolatepizza  Yeah, exactly.  It felt like home again with them both there arguing. I agree there is more there that is subtle. You can see how they changed over time and how they missed each other.  We can't expect them to have scenes like JH/JB with their personalities.  DS and Bora show their affection in their own way.

I look forward to Deok-Sun (future spoiler)

Spoiler

being a crying mess during Bora's wedding!  I know she will be. That's such a huge deal, for your big sister to get married.  I went through the same thing and it's such a surreal feeling.  Everything changes in your life and the life of your sister too.  

I think we have grown alongside the families in the neighbourhood. Remember how many viewers thought Bora was so insensitive and harsh towards DS? And they disliked her for 'bullying' her sister? In real life, you do behave this way with your siblings. DS also 'bullies' Noeul a lot. Now, we see how Bora has softened and how she truly loves her family even with all the bickering. 

I had a horrible feeling that there would be conflicts between shippers as the drama progressed and it has intensified.  

I prefered PBG over RJY (because horrible me did not realise how great a character JH will turn out to be) However, seeing how the story developed over the episodes and having fun (!) over the colour theory, I think (objectively) that it will be JH. I have no shipping team except #teamdeoksun. 

It's now up to DS to decide who she loves, not just because one has given up, you choose the other. You have to fight for your love. If JH fights and loses, at least he would have no regrets. Same for Taek. I wish I was as lucky as DS to have these two guys who love me. Ultimately, it's only up to one person. So whichever team you are on, understand that the other side will have their own perspectives, respect but not ridicule other people's theories about who they think the husband is. We will only find out by Saturday night. 

Hwaiting R88-ers! If you are free, pop by the Cheese in the Trap thread. At the moment, Yoo Jung is winning hearts. LOL.

Has anyone noticed that all the 20-year old tv commercials, book/cassette covers are blurred in Dramafever's version of episode 18? I understand that there is probably some legal (copyright) reason behind it, but this is still annoying as hell. Like their mediocre subs and 3 day delay weren't enough to ruin the viewing experience. My 2016 resolution is to learn enough Korean so that I can watch next season of Reply (not confirmed of course, but with those sky-high ratings I bet it will happen) without subs.

Guest wizengamot

Some of the cast's opinion on DS husband

JinJoo

Apparently, the young one has spoken. In this interview Kim Seol (who played young Jin Joo) shared who she thinks would be the husband of her Deok Sun Unnie

http://www.soompi.com/2016/01/12/reply-1988-jin-joo-predicts-who-duk-suns-husband-will-be/

No Eul

cr: @ic3chubb3 for the translations

‘응팔’ 최성원 “혜리 남편? 개인적으로 류준열이길”[인터뷰③]

'Answer Me 1988' Choi Sung Won, "Hyeri's husband? I personally hope he's Ryu Jun Yeol"

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003231174&gid=999339&cid=1011167

http://goonggeumhani.tumblr.com/post/136305618052/291215-am1988-choi-sungwons-osen-interview

Choi Sung Won (who plays No Eul) was interviewed by Osen last Dec 29, 2015. When asked about the husband he said that (if he would answer) as the youngest sibling character of No Eul, of course he would choose Taek because who wouldn’t hope for a star brother-in-law that’s on TV and newspapers? plus he took care of him (like giving banana last time).

But as Choi Sung Won who is in his thirties, he says that he personally likes Deoksun's husband to be Junghwan.. Main reasoning is because a busy husband like Taek might not be the best choice for his noona.. Someone with an ordinary job and who's like a friend just like Junghwan would be better.

despite all the spoilers,

I am Ok with either way whoever the husband be specially after last 2 episodes , but I wish to be Taek for only one selfish reason, that the result would be unexpected to me and so keep me craving for more of reply series otherwise it would be almost a similar plot and game !

Can not believe I am already imagining and thinking about the concept of next drama !! really can not get enough of this series !

9 hours ago, solelylurking said:

Not related to Solelylurking's post 

36 minutes ago, wizengamot said:

Some of the cast's opinion on DS husband

JinJoo

Apparently, the young one has spoken. In this interview Kim Seol (who played young Jin Joo) shared who she thinks would be the husband of her Deok Sun Unnie

http://www.soompi.com/2016/01/12/reply-1988-jin-joo-predicts-who-duk-suns-husband-will-be/

Spoiler

Amidst all the guessing and speculation, child actress Kim Seol (who portrays young Jin Joo), has been asked to guess who will end up being the mystery husband.

The adorable actress reflects on acting in the drama and reveals, “In the drama, the sausages were the most delicious. The cockles are yummy too.”

So I just looked back at some posts early on in this thread. Lol it's funny seeing some complaints about the parents returning again. But this time the writer completely reinvented the background and no one complains now. I'm serious scroll back in this thread to before the series aired. It's kind of amusing.

2 minutes ago, izuza said:

Is it too much for hoping for a next Reply series? :( Even my younger brother kept asking me if they're gonna make the 4th installment... 

Someone I know read that they might make a R2002. She could not find the article again (I asked her multiple times) and I was doubtful because before making R1988, they were hesitating between 1988 and 2002. But who knows, we might get a 4th one!

3 hours ago, pacarjiyong said:

hi i'm newbie here. cant help but want to join in this thread lol couldnt agree more with you. i was team taek but you know as the drama goes by, i cant help but fell for junghwan too. so yes maybe i think junghwan is the husband. and taek for myself gosh he's so my type too lol

A lot of us started the drama for PBG but secretly and silently JH/RJY stole our hearts too. :wub:

Arghhhhh...... Counting days.  But then, when it's coming, we have to let it go....

Two episodes more, i'll try to watch it live. Fighting!!

Dont fail me, internet connection yaaaaa.

Anyway, the way the older version hubby moves n expression were similar to JH. If the ending game is Taek, how he can change so much? 

I'm curious about SW n Taek family house. Taek, obviously in the same room. SW, in a different room from he was teenager. They eat together, inside the SW dining hall. But when Taek came home, SW mom looks like coming from outside to check on him. ;););) . Is it the boys living in Taek's house, while their parent n Jin joo live in another? Did Jin joo get SW's old room? Ha ha

Archived