[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

44 minutes ago, solelylurking said:

As a writer myself, I can tell you this much: Sometimes we can't choose the ending of the story. It is the players in that story that guide us, their liking, their hating, their nature, their circumstances. Maybe the writer first wants to make JH the husband but a course of time the story line drifted away from him because of his nature. Remember that, I think, out of his male friends, he love TK the most. Then it is his nature to hesitated. Don't blame the character or the writer for this. JH/writer-nim is simply sticking to his character. All i can say that writer-nim is maybe one of genius writer I have ever encounter in my life. The stories she makes are awesome! I envy her. 

I so agree with you on that. You may well have something in mind for a character and the character tells you NO, and you do it anyway, that story will never work.  

If you are lucky you characters will tell you how the story needs to go. It it hard when they are wrestling against your ideas, but it is even worse when they turn their backs and refuse to talk to you.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/10/2016 at 5:36 AM, balladblue said:

That slow-motion missed encounter sequence was my favorite scene from the episode. :) I'll share my analysis of that scene which I posted prior in the JH-DS shipper thread:

This scene was beautifully shot and was accompanied by a hopeful, nostalgic piano theme from the Forrest Gump ost. I find also that it is so symbolic of Junghwan and Deoksun's relationship. 

Junghwan blames himself for holding back and not acting sooner, and his hesitation and lack of action certainly kept him from progressing with Deoksun. But timing is still a factor, as we see here. He did not purposefully come out slower than Deoksun; he did not try to avoid her. Simply, they both just missed each other. 

Again to bring in the factor of timing, Junghwan could not have known that he was going to learn about Taek's feelings for Deoksun right about the time he was going to give Deoksun the Lee Moonse concert tickets and basically confirm his romantic interest in Deoksun to her. Out of loyalty and love for his best friend, he stepped back. Mind you, I'm not saying Taek is to blame for Junghwan holding himself back. Junghwan is responsible for his actions - or lack thereof - that followed, and he accepts that. It's the bitterest pill to swallow, but he knows he chose it. 

But that was when they were 18, now they meet again as young adults five years later. Both a little wiser, both still loving each other (yes, I'm sure of it). They just missed each other. 

If you notice in the gif above, both Junghwan and Deoksun are framed from the car window to each other. The romantic in me interprets that as the window of love and opportunity, and this time, they just missed each other. Junghwan is looking forward, signifying his later decision to confess to and let go of his first love. Meanwhile, Deoksun is looking at her watch to look at the time. Taken symbolically, she is focused on the time because she does not want to be late - to her window of love with Junghwan. 

As she stays in the background, it is because she will hold on to her feelings. She has not let go ofJunghwan yet. But for Junghwan, he must leave her in the past to make a clean break and say "Goodbye, my first love."

Nice one! you are the camera director for the Reply88 production right? You're like a scene analyst,hahaha!

Hi everyone :D

I have missed many episodes of Reply 1988 LIVE but I don't miss anything at all because of this great thread.

Wow JH confessed to DS in front of their best buddies but why Taek was not there?

The confession was very feeling but too bad, JH spoiled it at the end.....he looked at DR and said your wish. I guess that was DR's wish to see JH confessed to DS.

I wonder if sometimes we may start to over analyse... It's fun to look at little things, and think about the meaning behind them... I think the biggest success the PD n writer nim has done with this Reply series is raise a whole generation of viewers who don't just watch drama as it is. 

For me, the gloves arc is done. The choice was made. It has served it's narrative purpose. There are many winter scenes where it is so cold in which the actors would have been way more comfortable wearing gloves or socks to film, but for narrative and visuals purpose they made them do without. Eg look at Ep18, it's set in Oct, but they are filming in Dec. I freeze just looking at the cold breath they are breathing out, wearing such thin clothing.

Anyways Our Reply tagline should be:

Question Everything.

Is this why it's called 'answer me / reply me'?  Lol

Does anyone know which version of the song Both Sides Now was used on the show? I think it was in ep 17, during a CF. "Rows and flows of angel hair..." I found the Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell versions but they don't sound like the song played in the show.

Thanks!

Spoiler ahead regarding the wedding scene and I don't know whether is it an official news as I got from the Chinese forum..

Spoiler

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4296958826

It is said they are filming the last episode today. Today scene is DS wedding scene.. I thought it was the manager wedding scene.. anyway just take with a grain of salt..

edit: I know someone posted yesterday and today they were filming wedding scene in hotel..?

On 11 January 2016 at 2:44 AM, packmule3 said:

On pink gloves vs pink mittens.

Oh dear, @monsterlife.

I didn’t know you’re on the JH-DS ship? lol. Frankly though, I don’t pay attention to who-goes-on-what-ship. As far as I’m concerned, if a person possesses a rational brain, is open-minded and keeps a civil pen, I like to spend time and discuss points with her.  All the others, I kinda ignore.  It’s a free country. Stupid people can post stupid posts; insightful people can post insightful posts; tribal people can post...well... diatribes. lol.  I’m sworn to defend and protect their right to express themselves no matter how stupid, insightful and tribal I find them. However, my silence should suffice as a response to those I don't find coherent.

Perhaps then I should withhold my analysis of the Future Husband in Episode 8: One Warm Word?  When I found the connections to TK, I was laughing at the scriptwriter’s under-handed and clever ways. But some shippers won’t appreciate her sense of satire, and mine.

In a way, I’m like you. I began this show expecting JH to be the OTP because he is the lead of the show. But things didn't add up in the script. There are parallel and comparative storylines between JH and TK but in all of those, bar none, the scriptwriters set up JH to be the secondary guy in the virtual contest with TK. Which baffled me... 

Take for instance, the pink gloves vs pink mittens

mod edit: please do not quote images!

I hope shippers aren’t still waiting for a flashback with that one, are they? They can’t possibly hold their collective breath this long; it’s unhealthy. The issue as to who had claim over DS’ heart was settled as soon as DS picked out TK’s mittens to wear. There won’t be any “flashbacks”, because her choice is a FORESHADOWING. 

Personally, if I were DS, I’d have chosen JH’s pair of gloves. Why? Three good reasons. 1) He gave me EXACTLY what I wanted. He bought me the correct gift.  The pair of gloves was the replica of the glove shown on TV, and the one I said I wanted as a manitto gift. 2) It was a very thoughtful gift of him. He didn’t have to buy me a pair but he did. 3) The gift came right on time. It arrive on Christmas morning. 

Now compare his gift to TK’s pair of mittens. Let’s see now. TK’s gift has FOUR strikes to it. 1) It wasn’t what I wanted. According to google translate, the words for gloves and mittens are the same; it’s janggab. There’s no distinction like in English. So when DS said janggab, pink, angora; she really meant GLOVES (like the ones she saw on TV), pink, angora. But TK didn’t know that she preferred gloves to mittens because he didn’t see the show. Too bad, so sad. 2) The gloves were an “appeasement gift”. With this gift, he was saying “sorry, I forgot” about the manitto, unlike JH’s gift which came out of the “goodness of his heart.” 3) The gift was a duplicate. lol. He gave an identical gift to his father. Couldn’t he have picked something more unique, like a pair with hearts, bows, lace or cross-stitches?  4) The gift came late!

But despite these "negatives" on TK’s gift, DS still picked his. As a plot detail, that was a big indication of where her true affections are. The mittens are an inconvenient truth. They cannot be ignored simply because of shipping. 

Cut to save space. 

Did DS choose Taek's mittens because she liked Taek more than JH?

24327319845_fdd95f985b_n.jpg

24327321515_b3fd76f916_n.jpg

Consider what happened in the earlier episodes. In ep 4, JH chivalrously protected DS on the bus, and in ep 5, JH waited in the rain to pass DS an umbrella. Then, in ep 7, JH remembered her casual remark of the pink gloves and gave her exactly what she wanted. Was she truly oblivious to JH's feelings? 

I would argue that DS had an inkling of what was going on there. In her monologue at the end of ep 7, she said, "I was at the age when I no longer believed in Santa or felt my heart flutter because of Secret Santa. I was at an age when a present that was secretly left behind or secretly conveyed gentleness wasn’t enough to fulfil my expectations. Excitement that would probably escape up to the back of my throat and choke me if I were to try and suppress it. Embarrassment that would make my heart explode if I were to admit to it. I was dying to make it obvious, but didn’t want to get caught. That was the excitement we felt back in 1988. We were 18 years old back then."

She wasn't referring to Taek's mittens, she was trying on JH's pink gloves. JH was sending her all the right signals, and she understood what they meant.

Why then did she choose to wear Taek's mittens in ep 8? She was "dying to make it obvious, but didn't want to get caught." She chose to hide her feelings of infatuation for JH, and wear the mittens which didn't bear any emotional attachments. Contrast the moment when she tried on JH's gloves and that moment when she put on Taek's mittens. Girls can be complicated. Simply because they chose A over B doesn't necessarily mean that they preferred A to B. 

24219121362_57e19d2813_z.jpg

At this point of the drama, I think that if JH had confessed there and then, he would've gotten the girl. Perhaps that's why everyone thought JH was endgame, we could see it happening. But JH hesitated, and that was his achilles heel. He waited all the way until Taek confessed in front of the boys in ep 10 before retreating. Which raises another question: was JH's retreat truly an act of noble idiocy, or was it an excuse for his hesitation and lack of courage? 

7 hours ago, melissala said:

tbh, I can't tell what it's supposed to be.  I see a cat and a kitten.  I guess the big one could be a dog though.... but the ear shape looks like two cats to me. 

Do you have a screenshot of that poster above the cat and dog? I swear I keep staring at the ruby shaped zero , because it reminds me of the ruby ring haha

Whoa, why so many weddings filming spoilers? Yoo manager? SunWooxBora, DSxHubby? 

While i'm looking forward to DS wedding to see who is the husband (#어남류!), I'm also eager to see her dad eating his words, yet again. He did say he will not cry on his daughter's wedding. He's going to turn into a pool of puddle. :lol:

21 minutes ago, aqueous said:

Does anyone know which version of the song Both Sides Now was used on the show? I think it was in ep 17, during a CF. "Rows and flows of angel hair..." I found the Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell versions but they don't sound like the song played in the show.

Thanks!

Hi! I think Beanpole made someone remake this for their Ryu Jun Yeol cf. Probably to avoid copyright stuff

I've been looking for this new version, but still failed to find it :(

I'll let you know if we find it too!<3

A scene that I really enjoyed in episode 18 was Taek's birthday party. First, it warmed my heart and gets me teary eyed just thinking about it now. Taek now has a mother who prepares him a boatload of food and just spreads out the love all over the table. HIs huge smile when he opened that door and saw the spread :D A few years ago it was just take out and ordered food. But this year a mothers's warm heart prepared him and his friends a feast, even though I don't ship it and would have loved for them to stay friends (which they feel like to me. they seem like two friends living together and watching after each others kids) I am so happy Taek has a mom who leaves him warm milk so he doesn't take his medicine, an adorably bossy little sister that he gives lollipops to, and a hyung (did they decide on who's which?) who parks his car for him. He go his family and that just warms my heart. Now back to the birthday. It was so great to see that no matter how older they have gotten, how far they went off to, somethings just never change. The bickering, the teasing Taek, the group gift, the laughter, the music....imma need one final squad scene of 2015 adult squad or I will really feel like the drama has cheated me. How I wish I remained as close with all my elementary school friends like they did. They even had another sleep over and Dong Ryeong was cuddled and holding Sunwoo in a choke hold as he slept. If only he had farted then it would have really felt like old times.

The parents all watching their kids sleep was kind of cute but also kind of creepy. They are all so adorable in wanting to take care of their kids they feel that they hardly see. But, I felt like the parents took somewhat of a backseat this episode and I for one was very glad for it.

My Bong :D I am so happy he found his Maggie C again (I told ya'll they was going to break up and we was gonna have a fling before the two reunite again, never doubt me. I am close friends with the kdrama gods LOL).  Now, I hope to see we get to see what happened to Joey Wang. Did she make it as some big time hairstylist? Just as Bora hit me hard with "I wish for us to break up" she did it again with "I missed you." :tears: why are they like this. 

The Forrest Gump feather fly (with the accompanying OST) and the whole kdrama slowmo of fate montage was gorgeously done. I want that outfit Hyeri was rocking. She looked sooo cute. I knew Taek was going to be the one to make it to the concert. It was Oppa/Chilbong and Y2K or Yoonjae/Tae Won and D-Day all over again. The whole thing was so well done. The shift of focus. Like we see Taek panting and Deok Sun staring, and then we go with Junghwan as he walks away just a car that wouldn't start, 2 red lights, and his own accumulated decisions too late. Gawds dang hit me with the feels. 

OMG- It's a wedding car and we see Sung parents and Noeul... and the Choi family.

JH is here but wearing an informal T-shirt.

SW is here too... but he doesnt wear groom suits.

So this is DS's wedding.... with Taek??

12509603_862935227156484_740594002531289\

Spoiler

web_2950628016_23303aaa_4a3baab755ae84bb

CYfcQkwUMAATQfs_zpsbtfo1znz.jpg

God damn, I will always remember Answer Me 1988 as the BoRa story. I love her speech where if it was even a 1% chance of it being Sun Woo, she would've taken it. When she hears the nickname, even though it wasn't Sun Woo, she was banking on even the 1% chance that he would hear about her. It's ironic that the 1% chance happened because her blind date had to save his future bride to be, so it really was a 1% of a 1% of a 1% chance of it being Sun Woo. Very very unlikely, but seriously, I think she was trying in this way for the past 6 years, so it was bound to happen with so many tries.

No one has went through as much character development over the course of the series as BoRa. Heck, pretty much EVERYONE is their 1988 selves. But BoRa? Started as this headstrong noona who expects everyone to obey her every whim, to someone who now cares about everyone's feelings. This is especially for Sun Woo, where it looks like she was trying to reconcile with him for so long, but didn't have the heart to do it head on when before that was all she did.

She might be successful in her job, but seeing her tiptoeing when it comes to love just makes her character so three-dimensional. BY FAR AND AWAY the best character in the story.

As for Duk Seon, well for one Hyeri looks very pretty with long hair. I personally like girls with long hair, but seriously, Hyeri's trademark of short'ish hair doesn't do much to flatter her image. So her growing out her hair for when she 'grew up', I say it's two thumbs up.

As for her husband, to be honest I just want to smack BOTH Taek and Jung Hwan. Duk Seon was this --> <-- close to running off with someone that isn't her childhood friend, and them trying to be noble almost had her whisked away. As a childhood friend shipper, I wanted to bam smack BOTH of them. Like I can understand Jung Hwan being like your typical harem anime male lead, but I wonder why Taek took 6 frigging years for someone so competitive. He should've went for her the moment she got dumped for the first time.

Like PERSONALLY I don't think Jung Hwan nor Taek DESERVE Duk Seon's love at this point. Heck I'd rather have her end up with Dong Ryong right now; that's how much I'm angry at them, so when Duk Seon says Dong Ryong is her 'eternal partner' I actually thought that was the best thing for her. Next to zero chance unfortunately since Dong Ryong isn't smart by any stretch of the imagination, but hey, it's nice to dream.

Honestly though, them painting Jung Hwan as the current underdog in the past two episodes just cements my feeling that he will be the husband. Taek taking the 'lead' two episodes before the end sounds like a red herring. I mean, if Taek and Duk Seon have hooked up by the end of episode 18 already, what conflict is there left? Jung Hwan has to go through Taek if the story goes his way, but there really is no story left for 2 episodes if Taek is official by this episode.

Still think that the Umbrella scenes will play a big part on it, so far probably we already have 2 pairs that have that scene, SW-BR and JB-MO, JH-DS also have that scene and the movie Forrest Gump, they will not put it in the episode if that means nothing I think its also one of the clues and also JH confession and character development shows how he secretly cares for DS since ep 1, will they waste it all for nothing? 

p.s I do not mean to offend someone, just saying my thoughts please be open minded guys  

Well it would also be okay for me if she ends up with DR. 

sort of long post (tl;dr: I don't care who the husband is - I love this show!!)

Man, everyone's so worked up about who the husband is --- hahaha.  The writer is waaaay too sneaky to let fans spot any definite evidence.  Like for every color or doll clue that suggests Jungpal, there'll be another to suggest Taek.  Even if you analyze the script a bunch or find the smallest clues that the director drops here and there in the background, it won't be enough to say who the husband is.  This is speaking from previous experience with Reply1994. The production team excels at trolling til the very end.  Just pick a side and pull thru the ups and downs or pick no side like me and watch for the family bonding moments.  I haven't watched EP.18 yet, but it looks like as I expected all this time; no husband reveal until probably the end of 19 or maybe in the middle.  Can't even predict based off of previous reply's just bc this one is quite a bit different, especially since deoksun, since I think ep 14 or 15 has been sorta closed off from us.  I guess that she's developed some feelings for taek since then, but really hard to tell if it was that serious or not, especially since she's matured and become more withdrawn (i think to reduce likelihood of getting hurt by rejection). 

Also, I did watch Jungpal's confession on Youtube and hyeri's reaction is as expected, very very mixed and ambivalent so it's hard to tell who she really likes, maybe she's not sure either?  But I think her acting really improved this time.  I used to be a fan of girl's day and liked hyeri in particular, but kinda got bored with them, but I think i'll go back to liking them now haha, since hyeri's acting has been eye-opening for me. and I loved sojin's cover of the deulgukhwa(?) song.

I was hoping bora and deoksun would get married at the same time just like their birthdays lol, but looks like not?  Taek's car? --- seems kinda fishy, i don't know if that spoiler is trustworthy.  Also, the pic with the baduk manager looks like it might be a picture they took when they were in China for the match, maybe they just shared it with us later?? I could be wrong though.

Hope they release a preview for 19 sometime soon, getting anxious to finish this drama...

18 minutes ago, valNK said:

OMG- It's a wedding car and we see Sung parents and Noeul... and the Choi family.

JH is here but wearing an informal T-shirt.

SW is here too... but he doesnt wear groom suits.

So this is DS's wedding.... with Taek??

Hide contents

12509603_862935227156484_740594002531289

Doesn't SW's shirt looks like a hanbok? Or it's probably a waistcoat.. :/

Very difficult to make out + didn't the reply producers threaten legal consequences for releasing spoilers? 

3 minutes ago, nikkisjs said:

Doesn't SW's shirt looks like a hanbok? :/

Very difficult to make out + didn't the reply producers threaten legal consequences for releasing spoilers? 

hahaha, yeah.  whoever took that picture better watch out.  PD gonna track them down and sue their richard simmons lol

c50c57a3099d63eb7160d1d7ecbf69a612233da2

Archived