[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

5 minutes ago, hushhh said:

This is a defensive post.

It may also be a vain post.

It may also be an ill-considered post.

I want to make clear that I am an theatre artist and a teacher of theatre students.

I believe in the importance of the performance arts' ability to help us understand people who are unlike ourselves. 

I just left my beginning acting class where I began the session about the power of theatre and the performative arts to help us understand people unlike ourselves, (and also those were think are like ourselves)

I believe the job of the artists in to help people enter worlds that are strange to them and notice the similarity to their own world.  It is also to help people see their very familiar world anew.

Theatre and the other performative mediums allow us to suffer through war without getting scarred.

They allow us to love and lose with being permanently heartbroken.

They allow us to feel disgraced without permanently shamed.

They allow us to grow by watching others make mistake and learn from it. 

I stand by what I wrote about JH. I never said he was or should be SW. 

In general JH the taciturn, reticent, and stoic. That is one of my favorite romantic hero type. I just, especially in this drama prefer the underrated oddball that is Taek.

JH is who he is. And that is fine with me. It seems like his  personality was a handicap in the contest for DS heart.  As far as we know, being who he is hasn't earned him the girl. And actually that how it is in reality. We can cry for JH because he reflect the truth about many of us.  I am JH.  I overthink (ask anyone who knows me) I let opportunities pass me by. I don't get what I want often times because of it.  It is reality.

I have come to understand that in the world you can remain who you are and not get what you want, or change and maybe get what you wants.

JH lacked courage. He said it.  He hesitated and was not willing to take the risk. He was less ardent. He said it. 

I am, and will continue to say, that SW swung for the fences and got the girl.

JH bunted. If he gets the girl it isn't through his efforts but because the girl wants him.

Even though it sometimes work telepathy is not is language of love.  He loves her we the outsiders/audience knows that but DS does not.  JH words said he still saw DS as his childhood friend to mock insult. Not as a romantic potential.

Everyone express love differently but if you don't teach your beloved (and your beloved is not bring enough to figure it out on his/her own) your language of love the you will miscommunicate and destroy your relationship.

JH kept his love to himself. Fine. But unless the girl wants him because she appreciates being ignored when she drop her lure, he end up without her. Those are the consequences of loving noblely, silently and discretely.

There are times when you should keep your love to yourself and not burden you beloved this doesn't strike me as one of them.

I think they just misunderstood you because they love JH so much. Like I say before, the ball is now on DS' hand, not the boys. 

Let's see if the writer-nim stick to the character of the players or not. Story can bent but not characters' personality. If she tend to bent the character to fit the rootings, the ending might be a little off. But maybe she knows a trick I don't. Or maybe she will put her wild card, DS' personality. We don't get to see much of that and it must be for a reason. 

But I think writer-nim is the kind of writer who stick to the character no matter how bad the pressure is. Look at R1994. NJ ended up with TR because that's her personality. She never swayed no matter how much CB courting her. In these scents R1988 is kind of like R1997. We only get to see SW choice at the nearly end but it's not hard to guess that one either since I never get romantic feeling from SW to other guys than YJ. But DS? She's the mistery of it's own. 

I never get the loving on the side type of characters. Never had one in my novels. How will the subject of their love notice if they stay silent? Sure, maybe it's good for the readers but it's actually kind of frustrating for the writer, no? JH is neither, thank God. 

What's Your thought on their (the triangle love party) characters? And who you'll think will end up with DS?

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like I said. I fell for Jung Hwan but I was team Taek. if eventually jung hwan is the husband, i think i could understand, since I saw JH's POV how much he likes DS. he's so typical drama hero. started from bickering but in fact he's the one who cares the most. but if eventually Taek is the husband, i think i could understand too. since Taek with his nature (doesn't pay attention to any other things besides baduk) in fact show us and DS that he cares. we might not see Taek's POV as much as we sees JH, but maybe DS sees Taek as much as I do and with that much I already can tell Taek is something. so I am okay with both.

i am sorry it sounds offensive but I dont mean to be offensive, really. be objective. team Taek, if Taek isnt the husband, you can see clearly why, we saw JH's POV and its all abt him, and its like the writer it has to be him. the reason is there. team JH too, If JH isnt the husband you can see clearly why, JH told us too, he's lack of action to show her feeling to DS. whatever reason, but he is not bold enough to make it clear. yes we saw JH's POV, but its US who sees it all, not DS.

whoever the husband is, I am going to be sad when reply 88 officially ends.

4 hours ago, tikhagahara said:

Hello from the other side!!!!

I don't want to be bias and I'm not so good in english but I have to tell something, If you think bickering with your husband will be very torturan,  you aren't suitable for Reply series, since the first editions,  every couples are like that, parents of girl main, girls main and her future husband, and the second couple(I remember Yoo Jung and Ji Won in R97, or Yoon Jin and Cheon Po) Cheetah omma and Kim Sajang.... Ok, that doesn't mean in that season will happen the same.

You said he didn't say anything before and He wasn't brave. Maybe He didn't say Deuk sun I like you, I love you until episode 18 but since the first He is making things to tell her, it was so much evidement that her frienda told her, and He said Think with your head why I came, and She confirmed it asking him about the blind date and She knew it, so She started to make things too, but in that moment Taek confessed that He likes her in front of the gang (Not to her, because He hasn't said anything to her too, If the kiss was real, it was the first time that He was "telling" her, directly, about He liking She) so when She asked JH to go at concert together He rejected her, even having the tickets,  because Taek and his hesitation I'm not going to say it isn't true even He said it. Then He tryed to avoid her taking the bus sooner, and He didn't use the pink shirt in his birthday, so She could be confuse, of course, I would be too. With that I'm not saying that She could have feelings with Taek, I don't know, and I'm not totally sure if She has feelings with JH, but I wanted to say it: He was brave in his own way, in my opinion more than Taek, more romántica and He put all of him in that table, without afraid or hesitation anymore, even in front of everybody and belive ng that She likes Taek and She is waiting for him. If Taek confess, She will chose,  If Taek doesn't confess but She prefer him, She will go with him, and if She loves JH, it's something that we can't be sure 'till friday and saturday.  

Alea jacta est!

10 minutes ago, azzhuragreen said:
  Reveal hidden contents

TeamTaek and TeamJunghwan, let me ask you this simple question :

What if in the end the husband is not Taek (TeamTaek) or Junghwan (TeamJunghwan)?

How would you respond that? 

I BET MANY OF YOU WILL BLAME THE WRITER AND SHIN PD.

I learned one thing here that the hypocrite or double standard shows how pathetic your life.

To be honest.........

Spoiler

I will die laughing hahahahahaha like OH ALL THAT HEATED DISCUSSION FOR NOTHING trolololol.

d27503021d991cbf0a425820cca354bd86f71ac0

On a more serious note, it would have made sense anyway even if all of them ended up not together to preserve the friendship. It gets so awkward when there's a couple in the clique because you will never know if they will last. Breaking up is worse because the dynamics of the whole friendship is broken.

Just wanna say that I hope people are civilized enough to not curse at the PD for choosing which husband DS will get because in the end, the drama really does its job of making the family and friendship stories very heartwarming and relatable. And that's what's more important than the husband hunting. I never felt that any part was a filler. Even the singing competition which many people thought was redundant doesn't feel like a filler. 

To add on, I have seen arguments and evidences which can point to both of them and it would make sense whoever the husband is, it depends on your pov and who you like better.

I'm sorry but I really don't agree about JH is braver than TK or TK is braver than JH. Because for me they are both pretty much are standing on the same ground.

JH showed his actions to DS when protected her in the bus, went to McDonalds, gave her the umbrella, don't go-I'll go scenes, helped her when she faked ankle sprained and etc.

TK showed his actions to DS when protected her from the burbery man, acting spoiled in front of her, carried her when her leg's hurt, initiated a kiss (assuming it's not a dream) and etc.

Both JH and TK had asked DS to go to the movie.

Both JH and TK had make DS disappointed. (For JH, when he kept saying no to go LMS's concert and for TK, when he canceled their movie date)

Both JH and TK had backed off upon knowing each's other feeling towards DS.

And now in 1994, both JH and TK also had rushed go to the concert venue, the only difference is timing.

So yeah, that's just my two cents :)

I've been rewatching the series and in episode 6- confession in the first day of snowfall, Deok Sun was crying because of Sun woo. And the radio DJ  said:

"I hope everyone who confesses today has their love come true... And by any chance, if there is anyone who hasn't been confessed yet..or, if you're suffering from love-related pains, don't be too sad. Another person may be in love with you right now.....

and they may just confess to you that they've liked you for a long time, even though you were totally unaware."

Then Deok Sun's phone rings. Taek called.. And asked him out for the first time.

I know this does not reveal the husband.. But isn't that just how quietly sweet Taek is? He must have mustered everything to do that too.. Being tired from baduk competition. He also felt that the snowfall is his chance to finally show that he likes her. Whoever the husband is, I hope they all live happily in the end. And that JH or TK get over their first love. Because I would only be happy if they do justice to both of these guys.

(Yes I'm a fan of Taek but I will never bash JH-DS. Let's all be mature here)

The way I see it we have here so many theater experts, script writers, camera experts we just need film director and a few people from film crew and you can make a new drama on your own. I dont want to offend anyone but we should all guard down a bit. This is MAIN THREAD so anyone can say anything but the way some people act others find it uncomfortable to come here and read the facts about REPLY series and other characters coz this is a place to talk about drama and not to argue about your ship. Will you die or kill yourself if your favourite is not husband? I know i won`t, i will be disappointed but that`s all it`s not like my life depends on it. We are 2 days away from finale and everything is already decided so lets get along, stop with bickering and enjoy ( JB voice :D) the last 2 episode together.

Just one more thing I was team Chilbong in R94 I have not participated in ship wars and i am still alive so... Lets all act like humans

Have a nice day y`all

In other Reply bickering couples at least they verbally told the girls they like them. Unlike JH who made her feel bad about herself. He can't tell her he likes her. He can't tell her she is pretty. He can't even be kind. Or try to be a friend. That is why I will really feel better if he ended that confession as a joke because he sees no chance in her eyes and that he does not want her to be awkward. Because ending a confession that way to girl who possibly love you back is too cruel. 

I really will think DS is a masochist if she comes to love such a guy. But what can I do right? That is the writer's prerogative. 

43 minutes ago, NirmaS said:

I have one question. How the hell did Michael become a doctor? :blink:

Michael had always wanted to be a doctor, it was mentioned by one of the guys when SW decided that he wanted to take up medic. And Michael was the one to notice/predict about DR's haemorrhoid. 

8 minutes ago, aixx said:

I've been rewatching the series and in episode 6- confession in the first day of snowfall, Deok Sun was crying because of Sun woo. And the radio DJ  said:

"I hope everyone who confesses today has their love come true... And by any chance, if there is anyone who hasn't been confessed yet..or, if you're suffering from love-related pains, don't be too sad. Another person may be in love with you right now.....

and they may just confess to you that they've liked you for a long time, even though you were totally unaware."

Then Deok Sun's phone rings. Taek called.. And asked him out for the first time.

I know this does not reveal the husband.. But isn't that just how quietly sweet Taek is? He must have mustered everything to do that too.. Being tired from baduk competition. He also felt that the snowfall is his chance to finally show that he likes her. Whoever the husband is, I hope they all live happily in the end. And that JH or TK get over their first love. Because I would only be happy if they do justice to both of these guys.

Yes, Taek has been there a lot just when she needs him or when she's doubting if she can ever be loved.  Examples :  http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=598312&page=2&exception_mode=recommend   Regardless of if he's the husband of not, his care and feelings for her have made her feel better when she's been down, and that's a beautiful thing.  Both guys (and DS) do deserve their happy ending. 

11 hours ago, hushhh said:
9 hours ago, junghwana said:

I am sure that answering  this post is a good idea because it has made me feel as if I'm being lectured about life, but I want to respond  so I will try to remember that it is about the lives of fictional people and rather inconsequential in the larger scheme of things.

@hushhh I think it is easy from an outsiders perspective to judge others actions/inactions. THis is a television series I am the audience-outsider.  It was set up for me to judge. You might diagree with my judgement, but my judging in part of my function as an audience member.  The creative team made a world where their character grow and learn and outsider/audience can learn from their pain. That's how serious art performs a service to humanity.  But if we take a moment to think about it we may realise that NOT EVERYONE IN THIS WORLD IS THE SAME. Yes. That's why I took the time to delineate the difference between JH and SW. They are not the same and therefore did not behave the same. Not only are their  personalities different, their economic background and family configuration are also very different. It would be pointless in a drama series to have two characters who were exactly the same.  Not everyone is open and expressive. Not everyone is able to say "you look pretty or I love you" out loud  easily even though they may think that but keep it to themselves due to shyness and embarrassment. In JH case it's DS, the girl he always bickered with...it would be weird so I totally understand why words don't come easily to him. But he is SO SO BRAVE, he confessed to her in front of his friends!!! THis interpretation  might be filtered through a cultural construction. While I might agree it is brave also I think it is inconsiderate.  In my world view as a western raised introvert it would have been better to confess in private.  By confessing in public and them undermining his sincerity he protected his feelings and left DS feeling exposed.  He could have easily told her in private couldn't he?

The point being JH is not SW or vice versa. Both are different in their own way and we have seen that in the way they interact with people around them. SW is able to be all cutesy and loving to JJ without any qualms. On the other hand, JH LOVES his brother too but he shows his affection differently. JH may give out the "I don't give a crap" attitude but if you notice he is very attentive  and loving (I love how he wrote on Cheetah ommas passport!!- he didnt tell her what he did, just did it or how to played along with his dad with that ridiculous gag just to make his dad happy). Yes. And how does this help DS understand his feelings for her?

People just need to have an open mind.  Please identify "people".  Do you mean DS. There are lots of second female leads making castles out of gum wrappers claiming that Oppa loves them without any evidence.  I glad DS did not go down that path. If  by people you mean those on the forum that don't believe JH adequately  expressed his affection to JH.  We are not under any obligation to be "open minded." He is a fictional character, not a colleague up for promotion in our office.  We can judge his behavior as our real world experience  has thought us. . "If it's easy for me to say I love you to the people that matter then everyone should be able to say it, whats so difficult about that?" NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT! THATS WRONG! EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT PERSONALITY TRAITS and we need to ACCOMMODATE that fact. No we don't. In the real world we have the option of not getting into romantic relationships with  people whose personality leads to frustration and miscommunication. If you need your lover to say I love you with words and your lover insist on buying you a vacuum cleaner to express his love, and refuses to meet your  deep psychological needs. FIND. ANOTHER. LOVER. or live your life with a dozen vacuum cleaners and your needs never being met.

We need to be able to try and understand people, have a broader mind set. Its called EMPATHY. Who is the we here? I'm sure that you are sophisticated enough not to lecture anyone who you do not know personally, ( age, education, family background, economic situation, or personal journey ) on empathy. To do so would be delicious irony. 

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. EVERYONE EXPRESSES LOVE DIFFERENTLY. EVERYONE ACCEPTS LOVE DIFFERENTLY.

I myself find it difficult to express myself sometimes.   I try to show love subtly but sometimes my loved ones don't get it- fair enough. I personally find it embarrassing to be all lovey Dovey (the irony ..I enjoy it on telly*goat sound?) I cringe when someone overtly compliments me (I like it but not really- I get all uncomfortable and fidgety) so I'd rather they not.

BUT is that my flaw? What determine if a characteristic is a flaw or not is whether it stops your from getting what you want. I think not. What would you say if I said to you that you are flawed for not recognising my actions? The things that are normal for you may not be normal for me and vice versa. Therefore, I cant call you flawed either because thats you.  It might be more useful (or not ) to realise you can't call me flawed because you don't know me. NO ONE CAN JUDGE WHAT IS WRONG AND RIGHT BECAUSE IT IS SUBJECTIVE.  

I think you might be laboring under a great misunderstanding .  My asserting that JH mode of behavior as a (non)suitor, especially compared to SW was ineffective, in no way meant to 1) suggest that he was a lesser fictional human being than SW or 2) that my personality was like SW therefore SW was a better fictional person. JH is flawed. Taek is flawed, DS is flawed. Flawless protagonists leads to pointless boring dramas. Most narratives have a "hero's journey" where the hero grows.  If there is no growth potential why write the story. SW is flawed.  SW flaw is that he is so good, kind, and considerate he is in danger of undermining his mother's pride by refusing to let her exert effort on his behalf.  BR helped him to see that his mother, like him,  also had a need to give to those she love. 

MORAL OF THE STORY: JH is NOT SW.

I'm adding this edit after re-reading my post. 

I don't know who you are.

But it reads as if you felt the need to defend a personality type from attack.

To be clear, I am not attacking JH or people who are hesitant to go for the brass ring in romantic relationships.

I am not attacking people who are less emotionally expressive.

I am not suggesting that those people love or feel less. 

They may lack courage, they may be insecure.  THere are tons of valid psychological reasons for them the hesitate. That is just a part of being human.

My point was JH's personality kept him from getting the girl. 

I am not even saying he doesn't deserve the girl.  

What I'm saying if you don't or can't tell the girl you love her, she may never know, and you will lose your chance at that girl.

I hope that clarifies my intention.

My head seriously hurts from reading all these post. I think I need a break..... LOL. 

In the very beginning i was teamJH. But now i secretly want Taek to be the hubby...(i mean its PBG here. His smile gives me LIFE.) even though my heart is telling me its going JH, which I'm totally fine with also. 

I can't wait to see how everything falls into place! 

The most frustrated thing is while try to understand Writer nim hint, seems her hint is back and forth between Junghwan and Taek.....

PD Nim don't play with my heart, i want to fly to korea just to ask you personally "WHO is Deoksun husband" Grrrrr

and i'm so satisfied with The Gangs appearance in 1994, Deoksun with long hair, Junghwan with his uniform and i can see his forehead too hhahahha, Taekie become mooreeeee handsome and he take less pills too, Sunwoo become more mature, i love his style by the way LOL if i all doctor that handsome no one get scared visiting hospital, and Dongryong is Dongryong hahahhaha.... PS : Jinjoo lose her baby fat LOL,

but again "Who will be the husband ?"

1 hour ago, solelylurking said:

I think they just misunderstood you because they love JH so much. Like I say before, the ball is now on DS' hand, not the boys. 

Let's see if the writer-nim stick to the character of the players or not. Story can bent but not characters' personality. If she tend to bent the character to fit the rootings, the ending might be a little off. But maybe she knows a trick I don't. Or maybe she will put her wild card, DS' personality. We don't get to see much of that and it must be for a reason. 

But I think writer-nim is the kind of writer who stick to the character no matter how bad the pressure is. Look at R1994. NJ ended up with TR because that's her personality. She never swayed no matter how much CB courting her. In these scents R1988 is kind of like R1997. We only get to see SW choice at the nearly end but it's not hard to guess that one either since I never get romantic feeling from SW to other guys than YJ. But DS? She's the mistery of it's own. 

I never get the loving on the side type of characters. Never had one in my novels. How will the subject of their love notice if they stay silent? Sure, maybe it's good for the readers but it's actually kind of frustrating for the writer, no? JH is neither, thank God. 

What's Your thought on their (the triangle love party) characters? And who you'll think will end up with DS?

I like Taek.

I want Taek to get what he wants.

Taek want DS.

I want Taek to get DS.

This is not about reading tea leaves or story construction or clues. Though some of that is interesting.

It isn't even about where the story is heading. 

The story is a good mystery that can ver in any direction.

This is about me warming to one character's vulnerbility and falling in love. 

This is about me loving Taek.

THis is why I will happily admit my bias.

I also don't mind people disagreeing with my biased worldview but when their disagreement seems couched in personal attacks it makes it difficult to not respond. 

Take a deep breath guys...Calm down ^_____________________^

I feel like we are on the verge of  (unavoidable) war right now. It makes me uncomfortable.

Aren't we all love this drama despite the husband hunt going right now? The drama is too good to be remembered with such a bad memory of shipping fighting.  There's so much love, humour, hearts and so many good things in the drama that it will be such a pity if in future we avoid the drama ( remembering, rewatching, discussing etc of the drama) because the husband is not the one that we want him to be. There are so much more going in the drama other than the husband hunting.

For me, I just prepare my self with who ever will be. We are on the last leg of the show. It has been decided. So let's just brace our self and enjoy :)

Notes : English is  not even a second langunge for me, so sorry if my words confusing you ^^

58 minutes ago, Niel2804 said:

The most frustrated thing is while try to understand Writer nim hint, seems her hint is back and forth between Junghwan and Taek.....

PD Nim don't play with my heart, i want to fly to korea just to ask you personally "WHO is Deoksun husband" Grrrrr

Hhhhhh I know right ! .. in previous reply series it wasn't that complicated .. 

Like in ep 18 when adult DS is having an interview alone .. she says that her husband doesn't like doing interviews (I was lik "writer-niiiim why why would you do this to me" since I'm team JH and I know that TK doesn't like interviews" but then, adult husband comes .. she ask him to leave first, and he goes "why would i leave,  I love interviews" :angry: (writer-niiiiiiiiiim .. just stop playing with my heart already)

I think even in the real life, it doesn't matter how unperfect your love ones to others, because you'll love them anyway. Even myself call my boyfriend ugly and he calls me fat, but if love is there, you wont find that hurting your pride anyway (sounds crazy? yes, love is crazy anyway).

Maybe it's because loving one character so much also what brings most of us into shipping one more than another. It doesn't simply mean we hate the other one, but it just means we love one character so much so that we only got to see all the clues pointing him to be the husband.

I also shipping one. But that doesn't mean i'll hate the writer if he doesn't happen to be the husband. Because i love this drama as a whole so much that i'll always cherish however the ending will be. I'm never fall in love this deep towards a drama so i want give a big thanks to the writer, PD, actors/actresses, and all the crews that make this drama beautifully done.

3 more days until this drama ends! Hope we can enjoy the ride till the end. Love you all my fellow r88 lovers!

Archived