[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

Guest juniorette
6 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Honestly I watched the series from the start and long time after the debate occurred,but to me it looked like na jung-trash had something special,from the get go..=/.Also,this series is totally different right? I can't form any parallel this time..

Yes I agree Trash-NJ were special and imo, there was no contest. But the highlights were on Chilbongie for a few strong episodes (=red herring).

Same for Taek, but tDS' feelings are harder to read.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@juniorette Reply'94 was more focused on love,and friendship...and I always thought writer was clear about the main character of the drama's intention..ie,na jung.So na jung's eyes were always fixated on trash..and her eagerness was telling from the way she was always taking updates on trash's previous gf,or was always waiting in lines to text him...or how she would doll up to go on dates with trash.Though they were young and high on energy,I thought we always got this message clear that they are convinced about what they want to do with their life~love life..There were no playing with emotions or toying with ideas of love,as been shown in this series'the 88 one.Somehow it seemed to me that this time we got a bunch of kids who are still unsure what they want in life,or who they like/dislike.So that's why deok sun's priority./preferences kept changing...Also her teacher said this on ep 16 " You girls are kids..you don't know what you are doing..''..They did not have social networks or handphones or any blogs on '20 things girls want from their partners' lol....so the mistakes are the biggest lesson they had probably..

did they seriously JUST shot the scene where TK carried DS??? didn't we just saw some spoiler photo of that scene a few days ago?

or maybe they releases those photos late? i can't imagine them live shooting especially with how this PD likes to present his work.

1 hour ago, liteulkwin said:

The feels are unleashing after waiting two weeks.

You've worked hard, guys.

lol...calm down people! i can't read that fast :lol:     Fighting!!!!

I just have an urge to post this. That I found it's kind of weird for claiming the kiss was just a dream because of their position, that the space is too small for DS to fit in. But the fact is they shot that scene in exactly the same manner for real despite it was a dream or not, right ???

well since everyone is comparing..

let's give more things for people to compare-- not Junghwan and Taek, but Deoksun in relation to JH / TK scenes.

One thing I saw upon reading the threads is about Deoksun possibly lying to Taek when asked about what happened the previous night. 

How many times did we see Deoksun lie in the series?

Spoiler

Well, i can only remember some scenes:
1. DS and her mom lying about bora's jacket-- which if not for her mom segue-ing and helping her lie, bora would've easily knew that they were lying.
2. DS lying about wanting to say something to Junghwan (about the blind date thing).. which he concluded that there must something she really do wanna ask.
3. (anyone can add?? cant remember some right now..)

well basically, for me she's an honest kid. i see her being truthful to her word and to herself, though when it comes to studying.. she fails halfway! (but she does start studying.. just not finishing it haha!)

she's an open book, she shows if she's happy, or sad, or angry, or hungry-- she's expressive all in all. and when she lies, it should show. this is especially highlighted during the front porch scene.. wherein she had this weird tone in her "no"s and "nothing"s. you can say that she grew up and learned how to lie, but what's the point of showing her act like that.. she could've easily acted like normal and shrugged it off as nothing.

so if someone is saying that she lied to TK as for wanting to spare his/her feelings about the kiss and all.. or leaving some time to think about it.. it'll be out of her character (??) to be lying that way, straight faced and all. for me, that is.

-----------------

another is of course the scene everyone seems to be talking about for ep17!
I posted this first at the JH x DS thread, but i'll thread my words lightly and added stuff.. as not to come off as /super/ biased and all.

For both teams, let's compare the two most important scenes (as of ep17) and compare them head-on.

NOTE: yeaps, i am team junghwan, so if you find this biased, i can't say I'm sorry.. T_T

If team taek has their kiss scene, the closest scene team junghwan has in par with it would be the bed scene.

The production team made both scenes similar in most aspects:
a. scene takes place in the boy's bed /room
b. sleeping then waking up
c. heavy eye-contact
d. previewed from previous ep
e. possibly the most intimate scene for both teams

but there are also lots of deliberate differences.

Taek x Deoksun scene

Spoiler

1. background music - additional background music makes any scene feel less real, as in real life doesn't give play the right soundtracks at the right moment. In this case, I was expecting the deliberate stop of the music, to make it more hurtful for junghwan fans.. but it didn't. It stopped for a moment though, but as he opened his eyes, the music played. 

2. positioning - it could've been worse, but the lying-down-spiderman-kiss position made it dreamy for me. it could mean anything though, it's up to you to what it means. but definitely, the director wants a different attack for this scene in contrast to team junghwan's bed scene.

3. deoksun being silent - there are no words exchanged between the two.. though it may be heart fluttering just looking at each others' eyes and her reciprocating the kiss.. it still made it weigh less to team junghwan's jh x ds bed scene. the kiss is close to nothing if there are no exchanges about this. Just like '97 confirmation kiss, that kiss meant nothing because there weren't any exchanges about it in particular. They didn't talk about it. Period. There were no feelings admitted, no feelings rejected, it just happened.

or maybe i'm just biased HAHAHA

Junghwan x Deoksun scene

Note that there was no actual skinship - we get it, other team. We have nothing against the kiss but just this scene and them lying together in bed. But I still prefer this than the kiss because

Spoiler

1. it was raw - rewatching it again, it was raw as hell. that moment when you can barely hear their breathing, the rustling of the sheets, the way he tried to hush his breathing.. that made it real. it was deliberately shot this way. you can feel it happening just by watching. it felt real, and it was.

another /raw/ scene would be the Alley scene and the "hajima" scene. :D

2. no need for bgm music - another point of why I think this scene weighs more to me than the kiss. the lack of bgm made a powerful imapct. people probably held their breaths once junghwan opened his eyes, no? much like the people in the scene, we were also embracing the silence surrounding them. And I believe the magic of this scene would've been lessened by the addition of any music. It seems like a one-take too, no? They didn't even edit Junghwan's voice we can barely hear. Note too, that the bgm started after their dialogue, when Deoksun was falling back to dreamland again.

we know how the BGM music is given importance the in the Reply installments, so the lack of this at some scenes should not be taken lightly. or am i just reading on it too much..

3. exchange of words - through their exchange, both of their minds got a conclusion about one another. Both got answers they are looking for and it is because of this short exchange.

we may lack scenes of them together, but such scenes give more even with the lack of screentime. their exchange of words here are one of the dialogues I will never forget. his simple "yeah, i'll go" just tugs your heart and alkjdlaksjd i don't know what to say anymore. Though you can say that actions speak louder than words, what to do when the character who always /acts/ than /speaks/ about his feelings.. manage to say a few phrases which means a lot?

SO YEAH
What i'm saying is.. even if they give us the same scenarios.. some scenes just cannot give off the same feelings. I hate how they like to keep everything equal, but ending up making both parties feel short-ended. I would prefer if they were different scenarios and situations, because all we end up doing is counting the moments that matters and the one who gets the most might probably end up as the husband.

I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.. this is just something i wanna take out from my system..
Was awake for the livestream.. and still awake 8 hours after..
I'm gonna miss this.. 

The end is coming guys.

Hope everyone survives!

hmmm.. have not watched it yet, but will do as soon as I got home ^^ i'm so excited!!

But why is everyone assuming that Junghwan will confess so he can finally move one? O_o?

That "Someone" who will finally move on could also be taeki you know...

53 minutes ago, lia2010 said:

I just have an urge to post this. That I found it's kind of weird for claiming the kiss was just a dream because of their position, that the space is too small for DS to fit in. But the fact is they shot that scene in exactly the same manner for real despite it was a dream or not, right ???

What I meant is that dream space and time is more malleable than real space and time.

Therefore if you are filming a dream sequence you can make adjustment to the room to accomodate things what wouldn't naturally fit in real space and time.

In real space and time DS might have to shift Taek body down to fit in that space naturally.

But it isn't real life it is reel life so perhaps the kiss is real and they invoked artistic license.

8 hours ago, lia2010 said:

7 hours ago, EMM! said:

well since everyone is comparing..

let's give more things for people to compare-- not Junghwan and Taek, but Deoksun in relation to JH / TK scenes.

NOTE: yeaps, i am team junghwan, so if you find this biased, i can't say I'm sorry.. T_T

If team taek has their kiss scene, the closest scene team junghwan has in par with it would be the bed scene.

The production team made both scenes similar in most aspects:
a. scene takes place in the boy's bed /room
b. sleeping then waking up
c. heavy eye-contact
d. previewed from previous ep
e. possibly the most intimate scene for both teams

but there are also lots of deliberate differences.

Taek x Deoksun scene

Hide contents

1. background music - additional background music makes any scene feel less real, as in real life doesn't give play the right soundtracks at the right moment. In this case, I was expecting the deliberate stop of the music, to make it more hurtful for junghwan fans.. but it didn't. It stopped for a moment though, but as he opened his eyes, the music played. 

2. positioning - it could've been worse, but the lying-down-spiderman-kiss position made it dreamy for me. it could mean anything though, it's up to you to what it means. but definitely, the director wants a different attack for this scene in contrast to team junghwan's bed scene.

3. deoksun being silent - there are no words exchanged between the two.. though it may be heart fluttering just looking at each others' eyes and her reciprocating the kiss.. it still made it weigh less to team junghwan's jh x ds bed scene. the kiss is close to nothing if there are no exchanges about this. Just like '97 confirmation kiss, that kiss meant nothing because there weren't any exchanges about it in particular. They didn't talk about it. Period. There were no feelings admitted, no feelings rejected, it just happened.

or maybe i'm just biased HAHAHA

Hide contents

1. it was raw - rewatching it again, it was raw as hell. that moment when you can barely hear their breathing, the rustling of the sheets, the way he tried to hush his breathing.. that made it real. it was deliberately shot this way. you can feel it happening just by watching. it felt real, and it was.

another /raw/ scene would be the Alley scene and the "hajima" scene. :D

2. no need for bgm music - another point of why I think this scene weighs more to me than the kiss. the lack of bgm made a powerful imapct. people probably held their breaths once junghwan opened his eyes, no? much like the people in the scene, we were also embracing the silence surrounding them. And I believe the magic of this scene would've been lessened by the addition of any music. It seems like a one-take too, no? They didn't even edit Junghwan's voice we can barely hear. Note too, that the bgm started after their dialogue, when Deoksun was falling back to dreamland again.

we know how the BGM music is given importance the in the Reply installments, so the lack of this at some scenes should not be taken lightly. or am i just reading on it too much..

3. exchange of words - through their exchange, both of their minds got a conclusion about one another. Both got answers they are looking for and it is because of this short exchange.

we may lack scenes of them together, but such scenes give more even with the lack of screentime. their exchange of words here are one of the dialogues I will never forget. his simple "yeah, i'll go" just tugs your heart and alkjdlaksjd i don't know what to say anymore. Though you can say that actions speak louder than words, what to do when the character who always /acts/ than /speaks/ about his feelings.. manage to say a few phrases which means a lot?

SO YEAH
What i'm saying is.. even if they give us the same scenarios.. some scenes just cannot give off the same feelings. I hate how they like to keep everything equal, but ending up making both parties feel short-ended. I would prefer if they were different scenarios and situations, because all we end up doing is counting the moments that matters and the one who gets the most might probably end up as the husband.

I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.. this is just something i wanna take out from my system..
Was awake for the livestream.. and still awake 8 hours after..
I'm gonna miss this.. 

The end is coming guys.

Hope everyone survives!

On confirmation bias.

I won't even waste time trying to look for evidence to support my way of thinking.  I'll just look at the most superficial stuff and interpret to fit my worldview.

There is no mystery about who the guys like.  It is well established that JH and Taek like/love DS.  She loves them too, the question is who will she chose as a life partner.

JH+DS in JH's bed.

JH stumbles into his bed and finds DS there.  They talk.

Taek and DS in Taek's bed--if it is not a dream.

DS sees Taek in his bed and chooses to join him there.

They don't talk.  

They act. 

Taek kisses DS, she kisses him back.

That's all I'm say----I'm always wrong about k-drama. Despite little to support it, JH is the husband.  He marries Taek.

If I were a Taek/DS shipper, I think I would more upset if the kiss was not a dream. Let me explain:

I said a few posts back that I wish it was a dream because if it was not, then both reactions are kinda disappointing: DS acts as if nothing happened and Taek is relieved that it was a dream and says that in front of DS...

Basically, if it did happen, doesn't it sort of lead to the confirmation that DS has no romantic feelings for Taek?

She does respond during the kiss but perhaps she regretted it?...

I think that kiss is like a poisoned chalice...

Reply' jumps from '88 to '94... the 5 friends of Ssangmundong achieve their dreams

201601082126771403_568faebdd6943_99_2016

Source: OSEN via Naver

1. [+15,028, -247] Junghwan-ah, if your next line in the next episode is going to be "Taek likes you", then please just give up on Duksun

2. [+11,128, -169] Noeul has a good body...

3. [+8,755, -664] I don't care about anything anymore, I'm just excited for tomorrow's episode... Jungpal, please confess your feelings.. I hope that you're not baiting us.

4. [+6,752, -124] I wonder why they turned such a charming character like Noeul into Woohyun-ssi in 2016 ㅜㅜ I like him as an actor but they could've kept Noeul as the original actor since his concept was looking older than his age anyway

5. [+4,984, -193] If the preview is seriously baiting us again *trembles*

6. [+2,420, -46] Noeul gets more handsome by the day ㅋㅋㅋ but the drama makes it seem like it's super easy to get into colleges...

7. [+2,417, -98] I was so surprised at how sexy Junghwan looked when he was driving in the preview ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

8. [+1,970, -15] Sung Dong Il appa has been wearing the same clothes for several years ㅋㅋㅋ

30 minutes ago, hushhh said:

JH+DS in JH's bed.

JH stumbles into his bed and finds DS there.  They talk.

Taek and DS in Taek's bed--if it is not a dream.

DS sees Taek in his bed and chooses to join him there.

They don't talk.  

They act. 

Taek kisses DS, she kisses him back.

Well, the pause during the bed scene was almost enough to for Junghwan to kiss her after she wakes up.
He could've kissed her right there and then, but he didn't.

If it wasn't a dream, then did Taek just unknowingly fulfill Junghwan's wish for him to be a jerk? Well, a jerk for team junghwan though, since if it really happened, I'm sure he wouldn't share that story to Junghwan...?

Anyways, Taek looked like he relieved the following day when Deoksun says she left when he fell asleep. That is saying something, it won't feel nice to him if it was real. But if it was, I wonder when he'll realize it-- that Deoksun was lying to him about it. He's good at reading people, and he should be reading Deoksunl, following the theories that she was his first love. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider this scene as just a fanservice for team taek , they deserve more than that. I have no problem really about the kiss being a dream or not, I am rather curious of what effect the realness of this kiss would be for Taek and Deoksun. If it was indeed a dream, then why the dream sequence? And if it was real, did both of them never brought it up even until 94?

Anyone have watched The Producer and find it meaningfully wrapped up? Since it can be spoiler for those who haven't...

Spoiler

When CTH confessed that he had no confidence to keep their relationship stable so he'd been denying momentary emotions like drunk kiss, jealousy, not being able to leave her alone...The most  important thing for him was their past and their future not present. It's not so logical and kinda unhealthy way of living of course since you can gradually feel  remorse later on, like once that special someone about to leave your side for good. Long time friendships like that I suppose it is never easy to risk what you have. I think Deok Sun pretending nothing had happened was inevitable if I'm not mistaken about her characterization. She has  the least  self esteem among others at the time she couldn't even anticipate/pursue her future and dreams. So time jump made more sense to me if we take it on Deok Sun's pov not boys. 

So yeah I want that kiss to be real but if not I don't wanna wake up from that dream lol so I hope their intention was convince us that Taek doesBy the way I've just given this example because I always thought of Deok Sun and Taek as soulmate-like ^^

Edited to add: Apart from kiss.. since theme still was ’Life is irony’ it occurred me Deok Sun did something unexpected from her. It can be her realizing the feelings towards one of the boys after comparing interactions but not taking any action unlike what she used to do since ep2 ^^ 

33 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

If I were a Taek/DS shipper, I think I would more upset if the kiss was not a dream. Let me explain:

I said a few posts back that I wish it was a dream because if it was not, then both reactions are kinda disappointing: DS acts as if nothing happened and Taek is relieved that it was a dream and says that in front of DS...

Basically, if it did happen, doesn't it sort of lead to the confirmation that DS has no romantic feelings for Taek?

I think if she regretted the kiss, she would have been more awkward.

I'm not sure how the metaphor/analogy "poisoned chalice" works here.

The kiss could well be a dream, a 'gift' to Taek+DS shippers before Teak is exiled to a lonely place filled with small black and white stones and championship chalices.

Views through the bias lens.

I'm not sure why I haven't taken to JH, but I haven't.  

Perhaps it is because I went to the docks late and only the Taek ship was dockside.  I watched the later episodes first and then watched the early episodes. By that time I was fully a rigger on the Taek ship and saw JH through that bias.  So I never saw the series as the writer intended it to be seen. This is why even though I will be heartbroken if it isn't Taek, I won't be angry.

From my perspective as someone who came to the party late.  

JH has been a bit inert--except for the concert.  

He hasn't done anything to secure a relationship with DS.  

He has hurt her with his lack of response, and knowing that he continued to hurt her.  

If JH has made a choice, he chose Taek over DS. JH chose Taek's feelings and potential happiness over DS feelings and potential happiness.  Now we can take a more "noble" view of it.  We can say that JH chose Taek's happiness over his own. BUT that is not the sum total.  He chose Taek's happiness over DS. He KNEW that DS was interested in him, and in her way was trying to change the nature of their relationship, yet, time and time again he told her no through his behavior.  Yes he hurt himself in the process, BUT more importantly he hurt DS.

Now to Taek.  Compared to JH Taek has been a man of action when he isn't playing Baduk or passing out from preparing to play or having played Baduk.

He asked DS out to the movies.  He went to the movies with her. 

And yes, he cancelled going to a movie with her and hurt her.  While like JH actions, Taek's choice to not appear hurt DS; the difference between Taek's cancellation and JH avoidence is that JH KNEW that DS had begun to think of him differently. I don't have any indication that Taek knew that DS thought of him differently. Actually I think DS seeing Taek as a romantic potential happened during the princess hold in e17.  [told you i am bias]

I'm just procrastinating to avoid an upcoming deadline.

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

Not really, i don't know why many think that if the kiss was real that means DS has no feelings toward Taek. The popular theory among knetizen (from what i heard) is that if the kiss is real, the reason why DS keep silent about it is because she doesn't want to let others know her real feeling.

So let's say you suddenly like this one guy because of his latest action towards you makes you see him as a man, but you know that guy likes other girl and already planned to confess (like he said on EP14). You always think of him as "someone who doesn't understand the know the world" and "a pushover man", but suddenly one action (the bridal carry scene) makes you think twice "Do i really know everything about this guy? Why would he do something like this that i never expect him to do? What if i'm wrong about him all this time?".

Moreover, that guy promise to have a date with you then cancel it suddenly. Add the thing that your friend said that guy might think of you as an pushover girl. Do you want to admit that at night, after the guy sleeps (under his medication's dizziness), you decide to sleep beside him, and even kisses back when the said guy suddenly kiss you? At that point i think DS realize her feeling won't get her anywhere, and that the kiss must be bcause TK is under the dream-reality dizziness created by the medication, so she might decide to just let it slide.

As for TK himself, he must be relieved that was a dream cause how bold that moves is, even after he decide to back out from the confession due to JH's feeling. Although his face doesn't really seem like someone who relieved of a burden though, more like "Ah, so it was dream afterall...".

But well, this is only my opinion IF the kiss was real. We don't know what the writer and PD want to convey with that scene, but at least i just want to say that if it was real, it's really not a reason to say DS doesn't like TK, more like the opposite. :)

10 hours ago, Kkul23 said:

I guess you're not used to live recaps. Sorry about that. Probably best to avoid the forum during airing of episodes. Peace!

its not about the forum and live recaps sir, just to clarify think you misunderstand me. its about the reporter/writer that release an article spoiler of EP 17 who somewhat spoil that thing in internet days ago, it may not be big deal for some but for some it is because it turned out to be true PEACE. Nothing against the recappers in the forum, I like it since i cannot speak korean and its a big help for me, sorry if some misunderstand it

To topic, that TK-DS kiss seems to be real and not a dream if I am to ask

I think the writer cleverly bring Taek back equally to the husband game again by breaking up BoraxSunwoo when Taeks dad and Sunwoos mom finally decide to live together (that'd make sunwoo and taek become half siblings and if sunwoo with bora, taek with DS, it is nothing out of ordinary but will leave out Kim family) and there are still people who believe jungbong and Bora would happen which will eventually connect the kim family... (I was surprise they break Jb and miok too, but it gives him good motivation to finish exam)

i dont know but i always feel like the three families in sammungdong will be connect by marriage in the end and become related (maybe dongryong will eventually marry Jinjoo lol that'd connect all four families ----> funny fact, dongryong hasn't had any interactive scenes with jinjoo in the drama YET). But yep, this theory unstable and so everyone should take it as a grain of salt.

But everyone knows bora sunwoo will encounter again and eventually make up (my sunbora shipping heart believes it!) 

So far all the husband clues are seen or matched with Taek and JH (the picture at similar time frame, the dating history part is coming up next episode,..) the one thing that is still in mystery is the smoking part. If taek was shown smoking so early in the series and fans has believed this is the biggest difference between taek and JH, i really wonder if they will reveal JH is also smoking. (The cigarette that Jinjoo drops from Miran cardigan was odd because we havent seen or be informed that Miran or her husband smokes. Sunwoo on the other hand has insisted that JH is not smoking) so i wonder if they will reveal either JH been secretly smoking or show that he acquires smoking during college or military days. Because otherwise, it would be too clear of a hint that Taek is the husband just by the smoking alone.

Archived