[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

As we wind down to the last three remaining episodes of our beloved show, I thought it'd be nice to go down memory lane and see how far our Ssangmundong family has come. 

Our beloved characters through the years: 

Warmhearted sunshine Deoksun

6ibg5i.jpgb3kev8.jpg2j2iaef.jpg

Awkward-with-affection but full of love Junghwan

2u5c2hc.jpgj9wrr9.jpg2zpv5ec.jpg

Quietly thoughtful Taek

10zd9xl.jpgohjz0z.jpgffa2r8.jpg

Kind Sunwoo

1pgm0l.jpg2hh12qd.jpg2qx4x1f.jpg

Counselor-funnyman Dongryong

esop6x.jpg2wf0ac4.jpgfdvnn5.jpg

Spoiler

Some other familiar faces in 1994:

2ytqkyb.jpgmwy2ja.jpg73hy8m.jpg

And a new face! Nice to meet you, elementary school student Jinju-yah

fnqv6u.jpg

Just as people grow with the passage of time, the physical environment around us also changes:

1oom13.jpg

Now Sunwoo's and Taek's houses are joined. <3 

New furniture in the Kim household

309ly08.jpg

Excited for ep 18!! :)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, EMM! said:

well since everyone is comparing..

let's give more things for people to compare-- not Junghwan and Taek, but Deoksun in relation to JH / TK scenes.

One thing I saw upon reading the threads is about Deoksun possibly lying to Taek when asked about what happened the previous night. 

How many times did we see Deoksun lie in the series?

Hide contents

Well, i can only remember some scenes:
1. DS and her mom lying about bora's jacket-- which if not for her mom segue-ing and helping her lie, bora would've easily knew that they were lying.
2. DS lying about wanting to say something to Junghwan (about the blind date thing).. which he concluded that there must something she really do wanna ask.
3. (anyone can add?? cant remember some right now..)

well basically, for me she's an honest kid. i see her being truthful to her word and to herself, though when it comes to studying.. she fails halfway! (but she does start studying.. just not finishing it haha!)

she's an open book, she shows if she's happy, or sad, or angry, or hungry-- she's expressive all in all. and when she lies, it should show. this is especially highlighted during the front porch scene.. wherein she had this weird tone in her "no"s and "nothing"s. you can say that she grew up and learned how to lie, but what's the point of showing her act like that.. she could've easily acted like normal and shrugged it off as nothing.

so if someone is saying that she lied to TK as for wanting to spare his/her feelings about the kiss and all.. or leaving some time to think about it.. it'll be out of her character (??) to be lying that way, straight faced and all. for me, that is.

-----------------

another is of course the scene everyone seems to be talking about for ep17!
I posted this first at the JH x DS thread, but i'll thread my words lightly and added stuff.. as not to come off as /super/ biased and all.

For both teams, let's compare the two most important scenes (as of ep17) and compare them head-on.

NOTE: yeaps, i am team junghwan, so if you find this biased, i can't say I'm sorry.. T_T

If team taek has their kiss scene, the closest scene team junghwan has in par with it would be the bed scene.

The production team made both scenes similar in most aspects:
a. scene takes place in the boy's bed /room
b. sleeping then waking up
c. heavy eye-contact
d. previewed from previous ep
e. possibly the most intimate scene for both teams

but there are also lots of deliberate differences.

Taek x Deoksun scene

Reveal hidden contents

1. background music - additional background music makes any scene feel less real, as in real life doesn't give play the right soundtracks at the right moment. In this case, I was expecting the deliberate stop of the music, to make it more hurtful for junghwan fans.. but it didn't. It stopped for a moment though, but as he opened his eyes, the music played. 

2. positioning - it could've been worse, but the lying-down-spiderman-kiss position made it dreamy for me. it could mean anything though, it's up to you to what it means. but definitely, the director wants a different attack for this scene in contrast to team junghwan's bed scene.

3. deoksun being silent - there are no words exchanged between the two.. though it may be heart fluttering just looking at each others' eyes and her reciprocating the kiss.. it still made it weigh less to team junghwan's jh x ds bed scene. the kiss is close to nothing if there are no exchanges about this. Just like '97 confirmation kiss, that kiss meant nothing because there weren't any exchanges about it in particular. They didn't talk about it. Period. There were no feelings admitted, no feelings rejected, it just happened.

or maybe i'm just biased HAHAHA

Junghwan x Deoksun scene

Note that there was no actual skinship - we get it, other team. We have nothing against the kiss but just this scene and them lying together in bed. But I still prefer this than the kiss because

Hide contents

1. it was raw - rewatching it again, it was raw as hell. that moment when you can barely hear their breathing, the rustling of the sheets, the way he tried to hush his breathing.. that made it real. it was deliberately shot this way. you can feel it happening just by watching. it felt real, and it was.

another /raw/ scene would be the Alley scene and the "hajima" scene. :D

2. no need for bgm music - another point of why I think this scene weighs more to me than the kiss. the lack of bgm made a powerful imapct. people probably held their breaths once junghwan opened his eyes, no? much like the people in the scene, we were also embracing the silence surrounding them. And I believe the magic of this scene would've been lessened by the addition of any music. It seems like a one-take too, no? They didn't even edit Junghwan's voice we can barely hear. Note too, that the bgm started after their dialogue, when Deoksun was falling back to dreamland again.

we know how the BGM music is given importance the in the Reply installments, so the lack of this at some scenes should not be taken lightly. or am i just reading on it too much..

3. exchange of words - through their exchange, both of their minds got a conclusion about one another. Both got answers they are looking for and it is because of this short exchange.

we may lack scenes of them together, but such scenes give more even with the lack of screentime. their exchange of words here are one of the dialogues I will never forget. his simple "yeah, i'll go" just tugs your heart and alkjdlaksjd i don't know what to say anymore. Though you can say that actions speak louder than words, what to do when the character who always /acts/ than /speaks/ about his feelings.. manage to say a few phrases which means a lot?

SO YEAH
What i'm saying is.. even if they give us the same scenarios.. some scenes just cannot give off the same feelings. I hate how they like to keep everything equal, but ending up making both parties feel short-ended. I would prefer if they were different scenarios and situations, because all we end up doing is counting the moments that matters and the one who gets the most might probably end up as the husband.

I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.. this is just something i wanna take out from my system..
Was awake for the livestream.. and still awake 8 hours after..
I'm gonna miss this.. 

The end is coming guys.

Hope everyone survives!

I agree with you completely re the "bed scene" of JH and DS!! Well verbalized!!

'Reply' 1989 to 1994 timejump... The 5 Ssangmundong friends who achieved their dreams
Nate
1. [+946, -25] The spoilers were true... Today's episode was fun but the plot progression was weird

2. [+922, -20] I like that everyone achieved their dreams but the sudden 5-year time jump's a bit..

3. [+731, -32] Junghwan's shooting his own movie in the preview

Sports Chosun - Naver: 'Reply', Hyeri tells Sung Dong Il "Dad, I don't have a dream"

1. [3+3,881, -91] It was getting draggy but suddenly,  5 years passed in under 10 minutes ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+2,557, -34] I don't have a dream but Dong Il ahjusshi's words give me strength

3. [+1,957, -36] Me neither.. I'm 21 years old and I don't have a dream. I'm in university but I don't know what I'm doing ㅋ

4. [+1,541, -26] Since Sun Woo got into Yonsei med school, he and Michael became colleagues with Jung Woo... I wonder  how the otehr R94 characters' will be introduced

5. [+868, -19] Dong Il abojiㅠㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+539, -3] The funniest part of this episode is the traditional music when Jung Bong got accepted into university ㅋㅋㅋ

tv daily - Nate: 'Reply', R94's Sseuregi Jung Woo makes an appearance as Go Kyung Pyo's med school colleague?

1. [+755, -15] That activist unni that was mentioned in R94 is Bora ㅋㅋㅋㅋAt this point, Chilbong's wife must be Jin Joo ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+647, -13] Sseuregi, long time no see ㅠㅠㅠㅠ So happy to see him not as Jung Woo but as Sseuregi !!!!

3. [+102, 2] Junghwan's character was daebak at first but at some point,  Taek's character overshadowed him.. Junghwan could've shown more growth

4. [+97, -1] I've watched all of Reply dramas but the most memorable for me is that scene in 'Reply '94' episode 2, when Sseuregi's identity was revealed. No other scene in Reply made my heart flutter as much as that oneㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ  I think my heart stopped for a moment when Najung narrated "I have an oppa, my childhood dream was to marry him"

5. [+85, -4] Sseuregi and Sung Siwon were jjang funny in 'Reply 1994'. "Ahjusshi, who do you think you are?"ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Mydaily - Nate: 'Reply', Park Bogum kisses Hyeri in his dream?... Foreshadowing of love line?

1. [+1,339, -76] Didn't anyone else think that the plot progression was a bit strange today?ㅜㅠ I couldn't make a connection

2. [+1,132, -50] So sad.. I feel bad for Taek seeing him walk with no strength and when he uttered that he's relieved it's only a dream.. Why are the writers doing this to him?

3. [+846, -43] Heart attaek

4. [+194, -3] But the fact that 6 years have passed and no one confessed

5. [+166, -14] It's not a dream. Taek was half asleep and half awake because of the medicine. Deoksun would keep it a secret but soon forgot about it

Newsen - Nate: 'Reply', Sun Woo, Junghwan and Jung Bong became university students... Deoksun and Dongryong as repeaters 

1. [+739, -29] I couldn't make a connection in today's episode because of the 5-year time jump ㅠㅠ
Deoksun looks so pretty as a stewardess!!

2. [+654, -21] Junghwan and Deoksun look good in their uniforms. No Eul's chocolate abs are awesome

3. [+502, -49] Haa. Jungpal got more handsome

Cr. kkuljaem

6 hours ago, Lalasma said:

Hey hey~ After re-watching some scene of today's episode I noticed that:

R88%20E17.png

The dolls appeared again!! The red doll and the purple doll are apart and the yellow doll and the green doll are both on the back of the TV (the green one is looking at the yellow one). The blue doll and the light purple (?) doll are both on the front of the TV. What do you think would that mean?

Thank you for highlighting this! It seems significant that Taek's doll is quite separate from the other dolls and that there's an obvious space next to DS's doll. It might signify that Taek is taking himself out of the triangle. Junghwan's doll is looking at DS's doll :')  

I may have said this before... I really liked BR-SW but I actually originally wanted BR-JB and now that they are both single I want to mention this. Jung Bong got in to law school. I'm not sure what happened to Bora but she eventually becomes someone involved with law obviously. So I'm thinking my original pairing may actually now have a chance. Now don't get me wrong I like BR with SW and was happy that BR was a big part of SW's growing up but I'd be happy to see my original pairing work out. 

Also the Chinese forum has shared that it was forbidden for military (and air force) academy students to get married, drink and smoke. This comes as a surprise to me because I had linked military with smoking but I can say JH probably isn't smoking in 1994 yet. Not to say he doesn't later but it seems that the air force is quite strict about smoking because of it's affects to the health. It also looks like JH is doing quite well at the academy so I doubt he'll leave the military but things change... I still think JH is the husband, no reason, I'm not even Team JH. 

guys the reason I think its not a dream is that DS was waiting for TK to come home, and then it seemed like she was worried for him when he walked by her into his house(she was watching is back sadly?) then when she walked into the room she zeroed into all the medication he just took that was on the table. I think she was worried about him so its plausible she would like watch over him don't u think? I kinda think that the kiss scene was from his point of view? so he was still heavily medicated and sleepy so it looked like a dream to him? but her reactions looked like real actions? eh probably looking into things to much lol

On DS and her "spiritual" father. 

-- For @sheza, I’m sorry for the delay.

First off, I don’t know which ship you’re in, but I’ve to give you fair warning. If you’re a TK-DS shipper, please do not use my arguments to dismiss JH as a character. To do so is to diss the scriptwriter.  I’ve two sons whom I both love dearly so I know well that the scriptwriter has two “sons” here in this story of hers whom she loves equally…though differently.  Even if that character isn’t going to be OTP, it doesn’t mean that he was a minor consideration to the story. Both characters are integral to the plot. Yin-yang.

If you’re a JH-DS shipper, on the other hand, you must realize that I don’t work for soompi. :D  I don’t have time to write an extensive analysis of his character. But if you or somebody else from your ship would undertake such a worthy task, I would recommend that you start with Episode 1. The key to understanding JH is the script. The Adult DS introduced him as “dog. Not fully human.” In contrast, Sunwoo was classified as fully “human” because he’s the “most normal” person in the gang.  

What does being a canine mean? lol. I don’t know what a dog represents in Korean culture, but I can guess what it means in the story. Wasn’t JH sent outside to feed the dog? Didn’t he shush the dog when it was barking loudly as he entered the gate? Is their family dog a guard dog or a house pet? ;)

Just keep in mind that JH is neither an angel nor a devil. He’s in the process of maturity. His flaws will be on display at the beginning of each episode, but his new and improved self will come out in the end. Therefore, if you’re only highlighting a segment of his behavior -- either BEFORE or AFTER his growth -- then you’re only getting HALF of the picture. Each episode presents a facet of his self-discovery because this show is about his coming-of-age as much as it is DS’ coming-of-age. Unfortunately, because of all the shipping and the husband-hunt theme, we’ve had arrested view of his development. 

But I’ll give the shippers some examples of what I’m trying to say. I’ll cite four episodes which are the briefest to explain. The others are too long, and I don’t have time now.

Episode 1. Hand in Hand. 

JH siphons money from his mother. The “totally human” SW asks only for 1000won from his mother for contribution while JH asks 30000w. As a consequence of his scam, he feels he can’t ask for more money when his cash and his shoes are stolen from him. He suffers in a silence; perhaps with guilt, perhaps with embarrassment. His mother discovers about the bullying, and without directly confronting about it, reminds him gently that she’s always there to talk to. His life lesson: He may think that he’s too cool to be hugged by mom or tell his problems to mom, but mom will always be there for him. 

Episode 2. One Thing You Misunderstood About Me.

The “totally human” SW rightly avoids playing soccer with the school bully, but JH says the bully is just fine; he doesn’t smoke [Note: JH doesn’t smoke. The cigarettes aren’t his. That was a troll by the scriptwriter/director. Haven’t people noticed the pattern in their trolling yet? They should..because they mean something.]  

JH wonders why SW doesn’t just give up his medallion to appease the school bully. But later, he punches the bully after the bully taunts SW again. His life lesson: Family, friends, respect, and honor are some of the things in life worth fighting for.

Episode 8. One Warm Remark.   

Our JH learns two lessons on love here. First, girls don’t dance silly in front of the boys they love. 

Second, his Hyung loves him very much. His Hyung’s last and first thoughts were of him. What was his last thought? When he feared that he wasn’t going to survive the medical procedure, he packed up his meager worldly possessions and bequeathed them to JH to remember him by after he was gone. What was his first thought? When he finally opened his eyes after surgery, his first concern was JH’s nosebleed.  We also see a bit of JH’s stress symptoms. Although he’s stoic throughout the ordeal, he shows his anxiety with nosebleeds.

But what can we glean about his character from this episode? This: he’s a good kid, but he’s not THAT perceptive about human nature. He can’t intuitively “read” emotions, and he’ll most likely misinterpret them. He needs guidance from people around him like DR. For instance, his mother’s facials/spa treatment right before his brother’s surgery? It was a coping mechanism for her. She was trying to relax before this stressing situation. She was showing everybody false courage because she knew they derive their “cues” from her. Meaning, if she was worried, then they were worried too. [Symbolism here: the free samples. SHE ordered the real stuff so the other ahjummas could have the freebies they couldn’t afford.]  

Significant: it was Taek who pointed out that even if it was routine surgery, his mom must be really worried. JH mocked the idea. 

reply%201988%20surgery_zpsyfdwm4tx.jpg

Episode 9. What It Means to Cross the Line.

For me, this is the PIVOTAL episode for JH/DS. Viewers complained that JH’s appearance in this episode was woefully brief. However, they didn’t realize that the character learned his lessons on “crossing lines” most efficiently. First, he learns that DS doesn’t like him chasing after her. She adamantly yells at him to stop it. Even when he reasonably argues that he lives there too, she insists that he scared her and she unreasonably demands him to make a sound while walking.  

Second, he learns that he’s expected to “chivalrously” offer his jacket and brave the cold whenever some foolish girl is impracticably dressed for winter. He refuses to do so. [Good for him, I say!] 

Third, he’ll learn that crossing lines can be done a bit too late. 

BTW, @nearsea thanks for the photography lessons in this episode. ;) I consulted her about the small circle thingamajiggy in the middle of the viewfinder. lol. At first, she was hesitant to give an answer thinking that her ship was in trouble. 
reply%201988%20circle%20line_zpsj1owgsnt

You know, @sheza, shippers squabble over meaning of dolls, colors and whatever, but they miss important clues like this. I told people to watch the camera shots. Why do you think the director would include these shots, these details in the script? For nonsense? These viewfinder shots were deliberate and intentional.  Three diagonals, one horizontal. Isn’t the meaning clear?

In every episode, there's going to be a before-and-after progression to his maturity. If only I had time to show his development, I would.

Anyway, enough detour. Let’s proceed with this Father and daughter discussion. 

You’re right, @sheza. The interaction between DS and JH’s dad is very special and very significant to the show. However, it isn’t a “foreshadowing” of a daughter-in-law/father-in-law relationship. On the contrary, it’s an demonstration of their father/daughter kinship. They’re two of a kind. 

The signs are so obvious that I feel embarrassed wasting posters’ time here. However, it grates me that some shippers deny these obvious signs simply because they don't fit their narrative. So I’ll state the most obvious to do justice to the scriptwriter.

1) Both JH’s dad and DS feed their loved ones.

That’s the whole point of Episode 4, when DS’ mom felt envious of the attention and care JH’s dad showers upon his wife. Shippers denounce DS of “babying” TK when it comes to putting food on his plate/bowl, but they don’t see the dad’s similar actions as “infantilizing” the mom. This double standard interferes with the correct interpretation of the script and, unfortunately, it permeates in a lot of posts that I read here in this main thread. Here's the father/daughter duo at work.

With chopsticks. reply%201988%20ds%20and%20dad%20food1_zp
With knife and fork.
reply%201988%20ds%20and%20dad%20food2_zp

In all the previous Reply series, the guys in love “fed” their love interests. You must understand the scriptwriter here. She isn’t going to reinvent the wheel each time she writes. She’s going to go back to those same habits, customs, and practices which SHE considers outward manifestations of true love. To ignore her predilections and preferences would be foolhardy.  

2) Both the dad and DS joke the same way.

They’re both “fools for love”. This is a cloying term, I know, but it fits them exactly. JH's dad shows his affection by playing the "fool”. Daily, he makes his wife laugh though she ignores him. Outwardly, it appears like she's exasperated with him. But remember those times when he stops joking? Episode 4: Cant Help ~Ing and Episode 10: Memories. She worries when he’s not fooling around. 

DS too plays the fool in love. She jokes with TK the most, more often with him than the other guys -- even DR. That's why Bora thinks they're kids, and that they’re at the same level, sharing DS’ IQ of 99, although TK’s IQ is in fact 139.  Bora is smart enough to notice the uniqueness of relationship between TK/DS but the sibling rivalry between her and DS prevents her from seeing the situation clearly. 
reply%201988%20bora%20kids_zpstz2mleam.j

The scriptwriter also makes her intent sooooo obvious when DS and TK duplicate the same game that the dad and mom did. 
reply%201988%20finger%20joke_zpsarsjabi5

Yes, it looks stupid and childish but long-term relationships endure hardship when the couple share laughter together, and enjoy being together. That’s why their beach frolic augurs well for a DS/TK relationship. 
answer10-00914.jpg
credit: dramabeans

Also, in case the shippers missed the obvious scriptwriter/director’s joke here: DS did not go on a BLIND DATE as JH begged. Instead, she went on a BEACH DATE. Complete with the "blinding" sunset and holding hands. lol.
reply%201988%20hold%20hands_zpsbepbvahv.

3) She dances for TK like the father does for his wife = awkward

DongRyeong is right when he says that a girl acts “differently” with a guy she likes. DS has no problem dancing wildly in front of JH because she doesn’t “see” him THAT way. 

However, viewers misinterpreted her dance for TK because of their bias. Had she danced like that for JH, the favored OTP, the shippers would have gone bananas. But since she danced it for TK, the supposed second lead, people ignored it as a weird, awkward moment. They didn’t see it as a girl expressing her PARTIALITY for ONE particular guy. 

But if you’re like me who just focuses on the basic elements of the script, then it was pretty obvious that this girl was FLIRTING with guy in a joking way. 
Given DS’ fun-loving personality, it wasn’t surprising, for me, that she’d choose HUMOR to show her affection. She lassoed the bewildered TK with an imaginary rope, pretended to tug him in, and then motioned for him to come to her when he wouldn’t budge.  What more “come hither” signal does a girl have to do? Welll…. I guess she forgot to WINK at him and BLOW him a KISS, right?  lol

DS’ dance move, dorky though it was, is a classic GIRL FLIRTATION, done in a humorous, non-threatening way.

4) She and the dad are their both tactile; they like physical contact with people they like. Hence, that silly greeting/introduction routine that the two of them appreciate.  We can see this with affection with DS when she wiped off NoEul’s face and when she patted TK’s behind.  Interesting to note: I don’t think TK liked it very much when she stroke his head and told him, “Don’t go wandering off, and wait for me [noona]…Okay, honey?” I don’t think he liked being treated as a childish imbecile. 

However, look at how the scriptwriter reverses the situation.

In reality, the “noona” was the one acting like a childish imbecile, making silly faces on the phone booth window, while waiting for her dongsaeng. And when they stood face-to-face, HE was the one who ruffled her hair in greeting. Notice the role reversal? It was very subtle, but significant. I believe that was the last time, DS patted his head like that. Afterwards, it was TK. 

reply%208%20phonebooth%20wait_zpsjspts8w

5) This final one is tricky to catch…because it’s another inside joke. But since I ship the script, I pay attention to details like this, instead of ranting over who gets whom.  

Both DS and the father are BOTH THIEVES. 
reply%201988%20thief1_zpsizpwd0ny.jpg

Here's DS. [Please remind me to discuss the pink sweater and that China trip. People miss the connection there, too. sigh.]
reply%201988%20thief2_zpsu6rsmuse.jpg

Did you get the joke? :D

Not only are they thieves, they are both thieves IN THE BEDROOM.  Really. I've been laughing hard at the wit of the scriptwriter all these past episodes. I wish you can join me one day.  

Whoopsie, @shooastrid I forgot the baduk post again. Next time, I know you can wait...

Just summarizing some posts from SW-BR shipper thread to explain why BR broke up with SW that harsh. Actually, we had 2 episode since ep15 to see clearly the sense of their break up.

1. At the bakery, they did talk about break up. and both knew it could happened soon. The scene SW waiting for BR at the front stairs in ep16 is the scenario for both to know they cant continue meeting each other like this. Both of them got exhausted. BR said she couldn't do both thing at the same time but she tried hard to maintain the relationship with SW till this time and it was totally impossible for her to continue.

2. The pressure to pass the bar exam of BR. The tears of papa Sung, the hope of BR's parents on her and her siblings' sacrifice (cant go for good private school...) forces BR to pass the exam in the shortest time. She has a lot of burden and the exam is extremely harsh. She even dont have time to eat rice so how can she spend time to date or just even to think about SW.

3. The fact that if they continue dating, they can meet at the midnight and this is time for SW and BR too) to concentrate on study which is the most important for them and their families. SW soon graduated from high school and he'd go for uni, he had chance to meet more people who might be better for him than BR. While BR, she's already know her personality's not good. And it takes years for her to complete her examination, she cant keep SW for her own but never had time for him during those years.

4. So there's no excuse needed for their break up. The 2 are mature and smart enough to know they cant carry on any more. BR is also not the type using words to make any excuse for herself, and if she did it, she'd cause some insecure or guilty in SW so SW can persuade her to come back to him and thing wouldnt change. So she chose to act like a richard simmons and take all his hate and anger but could fell both hurt and relieve.

This is an one-side breakup. And all reasons that lead to this decision are from BR's pov. And we also saw how BR solved problem in DR runaway case. She can give out solution quickly with her rational mind but never consider other feeling. SW agreed that her solution is right but never think it good to apply directly in real life (that why he gave an emotional addition)

The same in this relationship, BR always acts like the older sister, she controls every decision without giving SW a chance to speak. But all she did is for the sake of her and SW and their families.

SW knows the reason well and understands BR's style, so rather than chasing after BR and asking for reason, he's just give her a chance but clearly know her choice. So he just sat there and cursed.

BR may hear his curse too. That made she feel more guilty for him. And finally she was broken down with her own emotion which never be her first consideration)

Dont say BR is rude and nonsense for the breakup. She did all she could for their future. It was just her characteristic was so strong and rational to think for other feeling (she even didnt care for her own feeling)

So all SW need in 1994 is becoming strict enough to break BR's authoritarianism melt her toughness. They're not the same with who they are in 1989. They're both intelligent and successful young persons. Between them need a mental fight to control each other. And if SW cant do that or just gives up BR, he'd never receive her respect.

22 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

I told people to watch the camera shots. Why do you think the director would include these shots, these details in the script? For nonsense? These viewfinder shots were deliberate and intentional.  Three diagonals, one horizontal. Isn’t the meaning clear?

uh..could u give me wat u think it means? lol cause I noticed that too? what do u mean? cause the couple that seems to be in love have that circle thing that is diagonal and then the pic with the fan is diagonal and then the one with TK in diagonal... why would JH/DS photo have the horizontal viewfinder? shes not interested like that? 

37 minutes ago, JCgirl 001 said:

guys the reason I think its not a dream is that DS was waiting for TK to come home, and then it seemed like she was worried for him when he walked by her into his house(she was watching is back sadly?) then when she walked into the room she zeroed into all the medication he just took that was on the table. I think she was worried about him so its plausible she would like watch over him don't u think? I kinda think that the kiss scene was from his point of view? so he was still heavily medicated and sleepy so it looked like a dream to him? but her reactions looked like real actions? eh probably looking into things to much lol

@JCgirl 001 i think so too because Tvn Drama on yt upload the title of the kiss as 

reply1988 혜리♥박보검 꿈같은 키스 160108 EP.17

which 꿈같은 mean dreamlike or like a dream right....

What I love about Reply 1988 is that no matter who the husband is it won't ruin the show or make the show any less incredible than it is. Whether it is Taek or Jung Hwan who get DS, the most important love is the love between Taek and JH themselves, which is a deep friendship that goes beyond all of this. Yea I have a ship I favor but even if it doesn't work out, I won't feel mad at the show because they made it such that it works perfectly with either guy. And that makes me so happy :wub:

Now if DR gets DS...I will go ask the writer to explain some things to me.

I believe it is really Taek's dream. There's no way a girl who had just experienced her "first kiss" act like nothing happened. There must be some sort of awkwardness the next day at least. But DS answered with her usual poker face. First kiss is something any girl would not ignore just like that. And if you guys will notice, she doesn't seem to be so surprised when he kissed her and she kissed him back. That's not the normal thing a girl would do on her first kiss with a guy whom she doesn't have feelings for and someone she considers just a friend all her life.

16 minutes ago, gangurhar said:

What I love about Reply 1988 is that no matter who the husband is it won't ruin the show or make the show any less incredible than it is. Whether it is Taek or Jung Hwan who get DS, the most important love is the love between Taek and JH themselves, which is a deep friendship that goes beyond all of this. Yea I have a ship I favor but even if it doesn't work out, I won't feel mad at the show because they made it such that it works perfectly with either guy. And that makes me so happy :wub:

Now if DR gets DS...I will go ask the writer to explain some things to me.

totally agree x)

7 minutes ago, thekdramafeels said:

Why is there no sub yet? Huhu.. Patiently waiting for more than 12 hrs already:bawling:

Subs do not come out until Monday around 6PM EST in America on Drama Fever

Your best bet is to pull up the recap on Dramabeans tomorrow and watch the raw while reading it.

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

On DS and her "spiritual" father. 

-

You know, @sheza, shippers squabble over meaning of dolls, colors and whatever, but they miss important clues like this. I told people to watch the camera shots. Why do you think the director would include these shots, these details in the script? For nonsense? These viewfinder shots were deliberate and intentional.  Three diagonals, what diagonals?  I'm not making the connnection. one horizontal?I must not be looking at the right thing because all I'm seeing are 4 horizontal pictures????. Isn’t the meaning clear?  NO IT ISn't.  TELL ME. I WANT TO KNOW!! Please tell me the obvious!

Wait?  Are you talking about three of the exposure reading being displayed vertically on the side and JH's camera's reading being horizontal? What does that mean. the unknown lovers lovers shutter speed in on the side, as is Taek's but then so it the concierge and Taek's. What does that mean.  As you saying the the horizontal display signifies JH's relationship as different from the Lovers or from the concierge?

More please.

Thanks for your insightful and specific analysis.

I must admit your rhetorical questions had a habit of making me feel stupid. -- pretty please provide the answers to the rhetorical questions thereby making them less rhetorical. 

I love your posts, but the word obvious is a little intimidating, it shuts down discussion, and leaves those who don't readily make connection trembling with fear that their inabilty to keep up will be discovered.

I'm looking forward to your sweater theory.  

Looking at the pictures side by side it reminds me that JH refused to surrender this jacket to DS, and DS didn't even ask Taekie for his sweater she just took it and wore it assuming it would be okay. And it was okay. Taekie said she looked pretty-wearing his clothes. That is something lovers might do after being away on a trip together.

I heart belongs to Taek but----I'm always wrong. JH is the husband.

Archived