Add and Subtract Game

Admin

14 hours ago, partyon said:

Wow, that’s a nice selection of cities to visit. :love: Which city did you enjoy the most?

I enjoyed all the cities but I wished I would have spent more time on each to feel the vibe better. Paris, very beautiful but too crowded.  :D Barcelona, too hot but I really liked that there were many trees in the city/green spaces. I am more comfortable in smaller cities. :D I ate well in Lyon and I loved Montserrat's incredible views. Perhaps I will want to go to Paris again for more days to have time to discover the city.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Yes - usually after revisiting the moment or similar moment that caused it in the first place - I know its bad, I'm just trying to figure out the least offensive version storywise

You're writing a kdrama? It’s gonna feature a Truck of Doom? :scream:

Monsters Inc Fainting GIF by Disney Pixar

Or fanfiction? With So I? :kicks:

Scratch that - I just read your post.

@4evrkdrama dongsaeng, hello! :waves: You're finally back! :dorakiss: Did you manage to complete your oppa's drama? Alchemy of Souls.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

As this character had both extensive social & business connections, as well as immense financial resources, there is no credible explanation for a multiple years absence save for amnesia - and here I am

You nailed it - thats exactly why I'm driven to use amnesia, a character in love would not knowingly have a loved one believe them dead for years without attempting at least discrete contact - (I'm going to purposefully ignore Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol here :rolleyes:

I don't know how fanciful you want to make things, but an additional angle could be time travel :lol:, and/or that the character actually thought the person she loved was dead. In Outlander, Claire goes through the standing stones from the 1940s and ends up in the 1740s, where she falls in love with Scottish warrior Jamie and they fall in love. Then, believing that he himself will die in the upcoming Culloden massacre (which Claire told him about since she had read about it in the future), Jamie sends Claire back to the 1940s so she'll keep her and their unborn baby safe.

For the next two decades, from the 1940s until the 1960s, Claire believes that Jamie DID die at Culloden, so she never does any historical research to find out what happened to him. When she finally figures out, through a series of serendipitous research discoveries, that he survived Culloden and was/ is probably still alive back in the 1760s, she goes back through the stones and finds him, and they have an amazing reunion.

IT IS AWESOME!!!

But here's my point...Jamie's sister Jenny is extremely angry at Claire for just showing up out of nowhere after 20 years, without any contact at all to Jamie or the rest of the family. Jenny thought Claire was dead, as that's what Jamie had told all of them. So Jenny doesn't understand how in the world it could be possible for Claire, actually undead, to not send word back to Jamie, or try to see him, for 20 years. Since Claire can't reveal that she's actually from the future, all she can tell Jenny is that she thought Jamie was dead during this entire time. Which is true. Her excuse is that because she thought Jamie was dead, she didn't think there was any point in reaching out to the rest of the family.

--

Regarding partial amnesia, do you read any Sophie Kinsella? :D She has a book called Remember Me? which deals with an unhappily-married woman who gets into an accident, gets amnesia, becomes infatuated with her awful husband upon waking up, forgets all about the great guy she was having an affair with, and then slowly starts to remember everything as the story goes on. Also a surprisingly good book! So the amnesia explanation is smart and makes sense, too, if that's the way you want to go. :wub:

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

that always cracks me up but it can be entertaining as well. in the tw drama "autumn's concerto", he gets brainwashed to forget only her. 

Will read your article when I get a moment, chingu! And yes, totally entertaining when the amnesia is so selective like that. Have you seen While You Were Sleeping? :)

Short story long ... fanfiction

A few years ago a character died near the end of a drama that I was highly invested in, and its been doing laps in my head ever since. 

Just wanted to come back to this and say I know exactly how you feel about stuff doing laps in your head, so much so that you actually start imagining a story and feel compelled to download it onto paper. This is my My Mister fanfic that finally got finished this past February: https://archiveofourown.org/works/34061467/chapters/84728752

I couldn't rest until it was done. :highonflowers:

Good luck!!

PS What drama is it? You mentioned Miss MonteCristo?

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

8 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Will read your article when I get a moment, chingu! And yes, totally entertaining when the amnesia is so selective like that. Have you seen While You Were Sleeping? :)

the old english movie with sandra bullock? yea, that is a good rom-com. think there is a kdrama with the same title I am not sure... 

@LeftCoastOppa ~ there was this jdrama I wanted to watch but they never subbed it and so I didn't watch beyond the first ep. the setup is this -- this guy has a family and is working. then, there is the earthquake and when he wakes up, he has total amnesia. he is not able to be identified and so ends up creating a new life with a new wife etc. then years later, the two parts of his life collide and he was to figure out who he was, who he is and how to balance both these families. so you could use a natural disaster explanation for why a good character disappears and then pops back up. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

the old english movie with sandra bullock? yea, that is a good rom-com.

Yes! That one. Though, as I was falling asleep I realized it's not really an amnesia story, since Sandra Bullock and Peter Gallagher were never together before his accident. The doctor just told Peter he had selective amnesia since Peter couldn't remember his fiancee. :lol:

there was this jdrama I wanted to watch but they never subbed it and so I didn't watch beyond the first ep. the setup is this -- this guy has a family and is working. then, there is the earthquake and when he wakes up, he has total amnesia. he is not able to be identified and so ends up creating a new life with a new wife etc. then years later, the two parts of his life collide and he was to figure out who he was, who he is and how to balance both these families. so you could use a natural disaster explanation for why a good character disappears and then pops back up. 

Oooh, good scenario. I feel like this might just happen in real life.

Morning, everyone.

40cc348362c4ee87b5c0fdf9483bcc92.jpg

ctto

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

10 hours ago, partyon said:

You're writing a kdrama? It’s gonna feature a Truck of Doom? 

That would be like poking fate in the eye ... no, no Truck of Doom :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Or fanfiction? With So I?

Whoa, now there's an idea ...

baby eye GIF

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I don't know how fanciful you want to make things, but an additional angle could be time travel

While I love time travel as an element, unfortunately this drama was grounded in the present/non-fantasy world - BUT since you mentioned Outlander, (I haven't watched it, but knew the general gist of the story) can you explain this scene ... from the looks of it, Mom had his child, which she left in the future? then came back to live with him in the past? and the daughter figured it out and followed mom into the past???

I'm unfamiliar with Sophie Kinsella, but the premise you describe is in part what I'm after for the character I'm trying to revive. 

In my case the amnesia stricken character wont recognize the person they love when that person comes to find them, as a running battle begins when those who thought this person 5 years dead, find that they are still alive

Just wanted to come back to this and say I know exactly how you feel about stuff doing laps in your head, so much so that you actually start imagining a story and feel compelled to download it onto paper.

Wow! 56 chapters!  I'll have to rewatch the last episode or two before delving into that :)

PS What drama is it? You mentioned Miss MonteCristo?

Oh no no no, Miss MonteCristo is over, and its best for all involved that it remain that way :lol:

so you could use a natural disaster explanation for why a good character disappears and then pops back up. 

Thats another great idea, but unfortunately for me the original drama already had a natural disaster :unsure:

But that drama sounds interesting whats the name of it?

+2

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

10 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Thats another great idea, but unfortunately for me the original drama already had a natural disaster :unsure:

But that drama sounds interesting whats the name of it?

it was from a few years back and so I have forgotten the name of it. just remembered the gist, sorry. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

While I love time travel as an element, unfortunately this drama was grounded in the present/non-fantasy world - BUT since you mentioned Outlander, (I haven't watched it, but knew the general gist of the story) can you explain this scene ... from the looks of it, Mom had his child, which she left in the future? then came back to live with him in the past? and the daughter figured it out and followed mom into the past???

Yes! Jamie sends Claire and an unborn Brianna back to the future (hehe) and Claire safely delivers Brianna. When Brianna is 20+ years old, Claire and Brianna decide to start researching historical docs to see what happened to Jamie. Claire goes back to him first and leaves Brianna in the future since Brianna is now independent (and Claire leaves with Brianna's blessing), then a few years later Brianna decides to follow Claire through the stones to find both mom and dad and stay with them. She's read in further historical docs that the Frasers died from a house fire, so she wants to go back to warn them.

She sees Dad (Jamie) first. It's very emotional and sweet, as in the clip. But this is about where I stopped watching the show. They changed too much and made things way too graphic. The books are much, much better.:highonflowers:

I'm unfamiliar with Sophie Kinsella, but the premise you describe is in part what I'm after for the character I'm trying to revive. 

In my case the amnesia stricken character wont recognize the person they love when that person comes to find them, as a running battle begins when those who thought this person 5 years dead, find that they are still alive

Sounds like a good story, with a good suspense element.

In the Sophie Kinsella book the lover is completely bewildered and sad when he approaches the amnesia girl and she's forgotten about him. I'm not usually a champion for affairs, but this is one of those cases where the book draws you in and makes you sympathetic toward him.

Wow! 56 chapters!  I'll have to rewatch the last episode or two before delving into that :)

Haha, don't worry. :lol: It's really written for those who saw a loveline between Dong Hoon and Ji An and wanted more of their story after the show's end.

Will you post your fanfic on Archive of Our Own? You could see what the other fanfics are like in your drama's fandom.

I looked up Strong Girl Do Bong Soon's fandom after watching it, and many of them were pretty disturbing, actually. :wacko:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

13 hours ago, partyon said:

@4evrkdrama dongsaeng, hello! :waves: You're finally back! :dorakiss:

Eonnii, Hello

:smooches3::foryou:

13 hours ago, partyon said:

Did you manage to complete your oppa's drama? Alchemy of Souls.

I got distracted with some real life schedules, whilst i did check out spoilers instead and then I lose interest in the drama.

Did u make it to the end Eonni ?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, 4evrkdrama said:

Did u make it to the end Eonni ?

I did. Only thanks to @LeftCoastOppa namdongsaeng who made a bet with me about me not making it to the end.

Well I did!

:wow1:

What a disaster drama. :unamused:

Speaking of that, @LeftCoastOppa needs to complete the first 2 episodes of Thai lakorn Switch of Fate before tomorrow (Sunday) night. How’s it going? @joccu @Lmangla and I are waiting for your reviews. 

Waiting Patiently GIF by General Hospital

Pali pali!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Holy smokes.... If it's one thing that I wouldn't mind incorporating in k-dramas, it's the rule about no idol actors in lead roles.

:loolz:

http://koalasplayground.com/2022/09/02/c-ent-insider-leaks-upcoming-list-of-2022-nrta-prohibitions-including-decreasing-xianxia-dramas-no-romance-in-army-dramas-no-drama-cp-shipping-no-obvious-plastic-surgery-and-no-idols-in-first-male/

@4evrkdrama Did you notice I have Yoongi's unamused face in my DP right now? I changed it for the ending of Alchemy of Souls. :joy:

• Shocked 1
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 1

27 minutes ago, partyon said:

WOW. There is a lot there. No shipping?! Decrease in streaming dramas?

And while I wish k-stars would not resort to so much plastic surgery, a ban on actors w/ PS seems unrealistic.

30 minutes ago, partyon said:

Did you notice I have Yoongi's unamused face in my DP right now? I changed it for the ending of Alchemy of Souls. :joy:

Ha. I just thought that was your favorite face of his. :D

Who was your last profile pic by the way? Thai Danish oppa?

• LOL 5