What Japanese drama are you currently watching?

snow_angel

I've started watching Shinzanmano today. I like it so far.  

Shinzanmono is pretty awesome with its laidback, small-town charm. Abe Hiroshi was great in it (he's generally great in most of the stuff he's in). 

For more Higashino Keigo stuff, try: Shukumei (tanpatsu), G@me (film), Byakuyako (drama) and Suspect X (film).

Watching Otana Joshi (all my favourite stars in this drama!!! ) and 5 Ji Kara 9 Ji Made (Rom Com with my fav female lead)

Same here. Also watching Gisou No Fufuu. I like the quirky female lead and the hilarious male lead and his mother. Some of the scenes had me laughing out loud!

Edited by ELY_397
  • Like 1

I've watched two terrific series made from some Miyabe Miyaki novels, the first is Namonaki Doku - which can be found English subbed online and the follow up Peter no Soretsu - which can't be found subbed online, but I got a dvd of it with really superb subs.  There is to be a third drama to conclude the series, I'm trying to find out what its name will be and when it will be out - if anyone knows I'd appreciate it if you could tell us. :)

The stories are about an earnest and truly appealing young man who falls in love with and proposes to a young lady he thinks is in his social class only to find out she is the daughter of a very wealthy man - by his mistress - and though hesitant about this he marries her though her father's condition for the marriage is that he quit his job as a publishing editor and come to work for the father's big conglomerate in its inhouse publishing department - with the stipulation not to expect any promotions.  Because he loves the girl he agrees, they marry and have a little girl.  

Over the years the father-in-law, who has come to respect his son-in-law's abilities and reserve, asks him to help with some personnel problems and the young man finds himself a very good 'investigator' who helps resolve a number of 'mysteries' - the cast of characters around him are all very interesting and their characters are developed as they enter into some of his tasks.

The second series, Petero No Soretsu takes the story of this young man and family up two years after the first series plot ends.  This time the lead and two of his coworkers are on a bus in a rural area - after an interview they had conducted with a former employee of the company - and they find themselves hijacked, along with a few other passengers.  The hijacker, a very polite though at times menacing older man tells them that he will 'compensate' them after the hijacking is over.  

I won't spoil the plot by telling you what happens in the hijacking, but indeed each of them receives some large sums of money afterwards and each is affected by not only the hijacking but the money and I found it overall a very very well done drama.  My dh and I actually binged on this one on a recent weekend since we just had to see what happened next.  There is also some drama with our lead man and his wife and when the last episode ended with 'to be continue' I wanted to scream since I wanted to know what happens now!!!

Highly recommend these!

Watching Nobuta wo Produce and enjoying it immensely - not your usual 'high school' drama

I recently finished Karei naru Ichizoku, which is a pretty decent family saga with very solid actors. Now halfway through Tamiou, which is hilarious - so glad Endo Kenichi is headlining this because he's such a versatile actor. Also started Asa ga Kita, an asadora, which is off to a decent start.

Guest ororomunroe

I've watched two terrific series made from some Miyabe Miyaki novels, the first is Namonaki Doku - which can be found English subbed online and the follow up Peter no Soretsu - which can't be found subbed online, but I got a dvd of it with really superb subs.  There is to be a third drama to conclude the series, I'm trying to find out what its name will be and when it will be out - if anyone knows I'd appreciate it if you could tell us. :)

The stories are about an earnest and truly appealing young man who falls in love with and proposes to a young lady he thinks is in his social class only to find out she is the daughter of a very wealthy man - by his mistress - and though hesitant about this he marries her though her father's condition for the marriage is that he quit his job as a publishing editor and come to work for the father's big conglomerate in its inhouse publishing department - with the stipulation not to expect any promotions.  Because he loves the girl he agrees, they marry and have a little girl.  

Over the years the father-in-law, who has come to respect his son-in-law's abilities and reserve, asks him to help with some personnel problems and the young man finds himself a very good 'investigator' who helps resolve a number of 'mysteries' - the cast of characters around him are all very interesting and their characters are developed as they enter into some of his tasks.

The second series, Petero No Soretsu takes the story of this young man and family up two years after the first series plot ends.  This time the lead and two of his coworkers are on a bus in a rural area - after an interview they had conducted with a former employee of the company - and they find themselves hijacked, along with a few other passengers.  The hijacker, a very polite though at times menacing older man tells them that he will 'compensate' them after the hijacking is over.  

I won't spoil the plot by telling you what happens in the hijacking, but indeed each of them receives some large sums of money afterwards and each is affected by not only the hijacking but the money and I found it overall a very very well done drama.  My dh and I actually binged on this one on a recent weekend since we just had to see what happened next.  There is also some drama with our lead man and his wife and when the last episode ended with 'to be continue' I wanted to scream since I wanted to know what happens now!!!

Highly recommend these!

Watching Nobuta wo Produce and enjoying it immensely - not your usual 'high school' drama

Peter was subbed October last year. Both dramas sound interesting.

i saw that you liked Date. Have you tried From Five to Nine? It's an ongoing drama. 

@Aziraphale I'm so happy to hear that somebody else is enjoying Tamiou. I had a blast watching it. I don't envy the subber(s) who worked on that one, because there was lot of language-based humor that must have been hard to translate.

@Kathy I have also wondered about the sequel to Petero no Souretsu. From what I understood from Miyabe Miyuki's wikipedia page and a few other sources, the next novel in the Sugimura Saburo series has not been published yet. 
However, the last book of "Solomon's Perjury" (Miyabe's novel that was adapted into a movie this year, http://asianwiki.com/Solomon's_Perjury) includes a bonus story where Sugimura makes an appearance. I think the story is set 20 years after the events from Solomon's Perjury and about 3 years after Petero no Souretsu, and follows one of the school kids from that book who grew up to become a lawyer. Sugimura has opened a private investigator office, and he ends up working on the same case. :)  

Edited by ina111

@Kathy I have also wondered about the sequel to Petero no Souretsu. From what I understood from Miyabe Miyuki's wikipedia page and a few other sources, the next novel in the Sugimura Saburo series has not been published yet. 
However, the last book of "Solomon's Perjury" (Miyabe's novel that was adapted into a movie this year, http://asianwiki.com/Solomon's_Perjury) includes a bonus story where Sugimura makes an appearance. I think the story is set 20 years after the events from Solomon's Perjury and about 3 years after Petero no Souretsu, and follows one of the school kids from that book who grew up to become a lawyer. Sugimura has opened a private investigator office, and he ends up working on the same case. :)  

Ina 111, thanks so much for that information, I can just see Sugimura being a private investigator!  He was so good at doggedly pursuing whatever 'case' he became involved in.  Let's just hope that the third story is published soon and then quickly made into another great series.

Guest ororomunroe
On 20 November 2015 2:20:24 am, Kathy said:

Ororomunroe, was Peter subbed online somewhere?  I haven't been able to locate it.

I haven't seen from Five to Nine, is there a site that streams it?

i sent you a private message. did you receive it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...