✪ Kim So Hyun 김소현 ✪ [Drama 2023: My Lovely Liar], [Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy]

faye406

Wow. Thank you KSH Vietnam fans for the translations!

All these comments on her drama and character..why do I feel so sad knowing KSH is putting all the blame on herself instead of the writers? :bawling: it hurts me so much to know she will rather take the blame than to mention it was the work of the writers. But, this is also where her humbled personality comes in, and her heart to not hurt others for the sake of herself shines. It can be easier to blame the writers for building a character like GE only to not live up to the layers of which GE should have portrayed. But then, it would not be professional or change any of the facts of the drama's flaws.

I also believe the reason KSH thinks or puts the blame on herself is because she feels even she didn't understand GE and thus was not able to become the GE like we wanted or how the writer envisioned her to be. She was confused but still continued to play her role. In the end, she may have felt disappointed herself and didn't want her fans to feel disappointed too. Not at her, but those around her. She tried her best but even at times, the best may not have been enough.

We as the fans clearly see it was the writing. But to her, she rather say it was herself as to not hurt anyone. She is indeed very humble. I just want her to keep building her self confidence and not to doubt her acting abilities. Every actors and actresses will come across hurdles which they must be able to jump over.

I know she will be able to move on and take this drama experience as a learning tool. She is young but matured. It will take a lot to not be able to get hurt from other people's opinions of her. If she is already able to take the positive from this, then she will eventually be able to move on and become even better. I have no doubt about that :wink:

KSH fighting! :wub:

• Like 9

6 hours ago, pageturner said:

Still sad reading the interview but glad that So-hyun's considering entering university. Maybe major in Literature or Theatre?

As long as So-hyun's happy. #love

Thanks everyone for sharing! 

Before this, during Let's fight ghost interview, she is considering to do major in literature or psychology...

But maybe her interest has changed... Btw I'm glad that, for this time being, she will has 'her' time to focus back on her studies and said that she will choose her next work carefully.

• Like 4

a new interview came out for KSH: 

Was there a grudge between and the writers? 

KSH answered, "There was not. I was the one that made the decision to be a part of the drama based on the script. I was sorry to hear about the reactions by viewers and I cried a lot with them. I cried with the writers at the wrap up party also. They tried their best. This was a good drama. A good drama for me & everybody." 

Q: To KSH, what is the meaning of Ruler? 

"It was a great opportunity for me. There were a lot of shortcomings but Ruler will remain as a memorable piece for the future" 

Q: Last Greeting?

"I would like to thank the viewers who has been faithful to Ruler until the end and the fans. I will come back with better works in the future" 

There were more but these stood out for me as it regards with Ruler & the writers. 

• Like 8

Waa! So many comments to catch up on, I've been away too long!.

Once again @joyspartace thanks so much for the translation. As much as I dislike the writers I'm glad KSH has a good relationship with them. I hate seeing her take all the responsibility but that's who she is so I'm not surprised. The questions from the reporters that I've been seeing in the interviews gives me the impression that these interviews weren't moderated. I mean normally the manager of the artist or someone pre-selects questions or at least vets them so that no 'damaging' questions are asked ( this is based on my limited knowledge of journalist interviews and not a thumb rule) in her interviews I've noticed there either has been no restrictions or KSH allowed the difficult questions to be asked. Either way KSH doesn't seem like she wanted to to take the easy way out. It's quite commendable.

2 hours ago, faye406 said:

Before this, during Let's fight ghost interview, she is considering to do major in literature or psychology...

But maybe her interest has changed... Btw I'm glad that, for this time being, she will has 'her' time to focus back on her studies and said that she will choose her next work carefully.

KSH likes to read so I think Literature is a good major for her but most likely she'll choose theatre or film studies or something. Like most actors usually do. As long as she's happy doing what she's doing I'm good. 

Looking forward to seeing her as a college student! Fighting!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, jakey09 said:

Now I know why they made her sing that OST when they didn't even bother using it ... she probably put every emotion/frustration into it! 

Lol! Well at least we got hear her beautiful voice.

I'm being super optimistic over here! :lol:

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, joyspartace said:

a new interview came out for KSH: 

Was there a grudge between and the writers? 

KSH answered, "There was not. I was the one that made the decision to be a part of the drama based on the script. I was sorry to hear about the reactions by viewers and I cried a lot with them. I cried with the writers at the wrap up party also. They tried their best. This was a good drama. A good drama for me & everybody." 

Q: To KSH, what is the meaning of Ruler? 

"It was a great opportunity for me. There were a lot of shortcomings but Ruler will remain as a memorable piece for the future" 

Q: Last Greeting?

"I would like to thank the viewers who has been faithful to Ruler until the end and the fans. I will come back with better works in the future" 

There were more but these stood out for me as it regards with Ruler & the writers. 

Well that was certainly painful for me to read. So-hyun cried!

Can somebody tell me if Ruler had all the episode scripts finished written completely before casting began? Or did the cast (including So-hyun) just receive the scripts for the first few episodes before confirming to be a part of the drama? @joyspartace thank you again for sharing!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, faye406 said:

She's been working kinda non-stop for the past few years so I think it will be good for her to step out of the spotlight a little bit, focus on her studies, gain some perspective and she will come back stronger. I already miss her though.

40 minutes ago, mindstar said:

KSH shooting for While You Were Sleeping.

I know its just a 10 mins cameo or something but I'm still glad I'll be able to see KSH on my screen again come Sep! :) 

I think in that picture, So-hyun was sitting with Lee Jong-suk and Shin Jae-ha. Can I be a bit of a greedy fan and hope that So-hyun will appear in multiple episodes? Just like in Goblin.

• Like 5

University? That means three, four or even five years without a big role, but just cameos? :bawling:

I don't remember if it was Ruler or other Joseon-based drama, but I heard this saying: "what happens inside the Palace, must be kept inside the Palace". So I guess Kim So-hyun is allowed to say nothing but praising words to all the staff, including writers and director. It's not that they will send hitmans to her home if she dare to criticize the script or whatever, but she's been ten years filming and knows what must be said and what must be kept quiet.

And we all have heard rumors about tension behind the scenes.

• Like 6

I can understand everybody's frustration on how the writers were toward KSH. At the end of the day, the writers were new and probably were still learning. KSH expressed how much she felt bad for the writers due to the viewer's comments. To say they suck is far fetched. I'm a writer myself and beginner's work is always a learning process. 

It seems like KSH has a lot of respect for the writers and vice versa. To express that she & the writers cried together at the wrap up party, that's sad to hear. There's no ill feelings between them so there's no need to be so mad. KSH even said that the drama was a good drama for her & she truly had fun with everybody else involved. 

@pageturner the cast & crew had scripts from 1-5 in the beginning of January I believe. As the months went on, they would get the new scrips. At the press conference, the director mentioned how he just received the last script the day before the conference so I think that gives a good idea how the distribution of the script went.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, angrytomato said:

University? That means three, four or even five years without a big role, but just cameos? :bawling:

I don't remember if it was Ruler or other Joseon-based drama, but I heard this saying: "what happens inside the Palace, must be kept inside the Palace". So I guess Kim So-hyun is allowed to say nothing but praising words to all the staff, including writers and director. It's not that they will send hitmans to her home if she dare to criticize the script or whatever, but she's been ten years filming and knows what must be said and what must be kept quiet.

Don't worry @angrytomato, actors have been known to take a semester or two off for filming and so graduate a bit later. I'd say it's pretty common to do that.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, jakey09 said:

So SH cried at the party? Also the fact that heard Yoo Seung and L had to drag her to cut the cake ... aw! Don't blame her.

So Hyun ah, stop defending the writers ... they sucked! 

They had to drag her to cut the cake? What!? I know they literally squeezed her in the middle but dragged her as well?

I thought by crying she meant 'had a tearful moment' you know like people normally do at farewells and stuff. I hope it wasn't serious crying!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, angrytomato said:

Like @pageturner said, actors and idols usually take longer to graduate from university than regular people. They tend to take semester's off to film dramas and/or movies. Its a pretty common practice so don't worry. Its true KSH knows how to be diplomatic, I find most child actors have that quality just like senior actors. Its something you learn over time. Still, I doubt KSH is the kind to have ill feelings towards others. I think she would rather hash it out and move on plus she's definitely not one to shy away from taking blame as we can all see. I really do admire this about her. Makes me think she would make a great Youth Ambassador or something.

Wait what rumors? There was tension behind the scenes? I thought the cast got along very well.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pageturner said:

She's been working kinda non-stop for the past few years so I think it will be good for her to step out of the spotlight a little bit, focus on her studies, gain some perspective and she will come back stronger. I already miss her though

I agree with you on this. She really has been working very hard these past 2 years and almost entirely without rest. As much as I want to see her in another production at the earliest I also want her to rest and heal and come back stronger because we know she's one hell of an actress! In a way I'm glad she's met this character now because it seems she's clearer about the kind of roles she wants to play and as she grows older she'll gain more of a bargaining chip with writers/directors and will be able to express her opinions about a character more freely.

I still hope that she continues to grace us with public appearances and/or magazine shoots and such though! I already miss her! 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, mindstar said:

They had to drag her to cut the cake? What!? I know they literally squeezed her in the middle but dragged her as well?

I thought by crying she meant 'had a tearful moment' you know like people normally do at farewells and stuff. I hope it wasn't serious crying!

Somebody mentioned on Twitter that she was standing at the side, so those two ... I don't know "dragged" her and put her in the middle. I don't know what other word to use for it. Lol

I doubt it was full on crying. As you said, probably a tearful moment. She looked fine when leaving lol

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, mindstar said:

Still, I doubt KSH is the kind to have ill feelings towards others (...)

I have no doubts about that. But there's a huge step between having ill feelings and thinking that "Ruler" is the best script she could have been performed; even better that, said, Moon Embracing the Sun, I Miss You or the first 2/3 of School 2015.

So, my "reading-between-the-lines detector" may be broken or every time she described how hard was to develop Ga-eun character, she was blaming the writers at the bottom. At least, unconsciously.

50 minutes ago, mindstar said:

Wait what rumors? There was tension behind the scenes? I thought the cast got along very well.

Can't remember exactly where and when, but I read it at Ruler's thread.

Edited by angrytomato
Typo
  • Like 3