@corey I felt so much more for Bangwon, who had less screen time and was a ruthless bloodthirsty ruler, than Im feeling for OHJ. I mean, I “kinda” feel sorry for OHJ but since, like you said, he does not seem too keen on living, I’m also ok if he doesn’t. At this point if feels like he would prefer to die.

He feels like a ghost anyway. I’m annoyed that I haven’t seen him eating yet. I feel like I need those small details to actually believe that a character is “human”. We still don’t know much of OHJ other than, he is a genius profiler, he was detached, he loved his fiancé, he is now traumatized, he is in pain because he says so and kinda shows it with “numbness” and ocasional subtle emoting. I like him,  Im still interested to know him, he is sexy to me (his look, his voice, his mannerisms) but I don’t “love” him and I want to.

This is also why I don’t care for the action scenes, they feel like fan servicy filler to me or ok a way to make the drama appear dynamic? But it doesn’t add anything to his character other than make him less vulnerable (which in this case makes me feel less for him) He is already a genius profiler and now he has to be a super fighter? No sense of danger regarding him, he seems indestructible (which is boring to me).

This also makes it less believable that he was once disabled. The explosion had no consequences in his body or even psychologically. All his pain is related to losing Isu and just that (A pain that he mentions, but he doesn’t express as we know JH is capable) They took away his vulnerability and all those “cool” action scenes that make him seem like a superhero only make him less “human” and less relatable.

I know there’s still episodes to go but so far, thats how I feel about him. Im not totally indifferent to him but I wish the drama allowed me to love him, care, worry for him. My favorite moments of him is all in relation to Sooyoung, the way he acknowledged her, every time and the glimpses of empathy he begins to show. His badass actions, no, for the reasons stated above, plus, JH is almost always the most badass, so it feels repetitive for him. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey I felt so much more for Bangwon, who had less screen time and was a ruthless bloodthirsty ruler, than Im feeling for OHJ. I mean, I “kinda” feel sorry for OHJ but since, like you said, he does not seem too keen on living, I’m also ok if he doesn’t. At this point if feels like he would prefer to die.

He feels like a ghost anyway. I’m annoyed that I haven’t seen him eating yet. I feel like I need those small details to actually believe that a character is “human”. We still don’t know much of OHJ other than, he is a genius profiler, he was detached, he loved his fiancé, he is now traumatized, he is in pain because he says so and kinda shows it with “numbness” and ocasional subtle emoting. I like him,  Im still interested to know him, he is sexy to me (his look, his voice, his mannerisms) but I don’t “love” him and I want to.

This is also why I don’t care for the action scenes, they feel like fan servicy filler to me or ok a way to make the drama appear dynamic? But it doesn’t add anything to his character other than make him less vulnerable (which in this case makes me feel less for him) He is already a genius profiler and now he has to be a super fighter? No sense of danger regarding him, he seems indestructible (which is boring to me).

This also makes it less believable that he was once disabled. The explosion had no consequences in his body or even psychologically. All his pain is related to losing Isu and just that (A pain that he mentions, but he doesn’t express as we know JH is capable) They took away his vulnerability and all those “cool” action scenes that make him seem like a superhero only make him less “human” and less relatable.

I know there’s still episodes to go but so far, thats how I feel about him. Im not totally indifferent to him but I wish the drama allowed me to love him, care, worry for him. My favorite moments of him is all in relation to Sooyoung, the way he acknowledged her, every time and the glimpses of empathy he begins to show. His badass actions, no, for the reasons stated above, plus, JH is almost always the most badass, so it feels repetitive for him. 

Just wanted to say that I agree with everything in this post of yours. I’m too detached from OHJ. I felt even more for Pil Joo too even though he was a very grey character. OHJ almost seems superhuman. Except one with emotional pain and emptiness (that he also just refuses to show). 

• Like 3

Regarding TMWYS, I can understand there are elements of mystery and evil doings, but why must the show be set in such darkness most of the time? It is so difficult to watch at times because it gets so dark in the scenes. Why must they be using their torch lights and not just switch on the lights??

As for Soo Young, she is only an amateur cop turned detective. But they allowed her to go out investigating on her own and even had to fight men. There were scenes where the situations were clearly dangerous but they allowed her to wander off on her own to catch the killer?

And for OHJ, he seemed to be the only one who needs to wear the thick jacket with hoodie. The rest, even Soo Young, can make do with what looks like normal jackets. OHJ never even takes off this thick outer jacket indoor such as in the interrogation room.

Nonetheless I still watch the drama because I like the plots and how each mystery was solved. But it is not a genre that will garner popularity votes. I wish JH will soon get to work on a great script with good directing and production, with a strong cast, etc.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, corey said:

@dramafan33,  

Also, I thought he would be a "cerebral" character at the beginning of the drama - showing us "mind over matter" principle - how someone disabled, by the power of reasoning and intelligence can beat the system and solve mysteries - now they did a 180 degree flip 

As you say, we will see - there is still 6 hours left. But with this episode I no longer know what the theme of this drama is - if this is healing, this is way too slow - scars on his face are still fresh, as if cut yesterday. And if he is someone numb and without the will to live - will someone like this just wait so patiently 5 years without leaving his hideout while working out and polishing his martial art - you need a high motivation to do that... Not consistent with someone who "just breaths".

@corey I tried to quote you to respond to specific statements but its hard on my phone

Ok, the “mind over matter”  theme, yes, that was my first main disappointment with the drama and OHJ, the fact that it was all a ruse. There were so many interesting possibilities. 

On your last point though, this is possibly the only point I’m still with OHJ. He is “just breathing” but he is seeking some form of relief. This part is quite obvious to me. The man is severely depressed and depressed people as you may know, are probably always considered “boring” characters maybe? I mean, the fact that he is “not keen on living” is the tragedy itself. His numbness is the tragedy itself. Probably not the most exciting thing to watch as a viewer but not unrealistic. The message (or one message) of the drama was laid out for us on ep 10. It has to do with the different ways to handle a loss, the pain etc. You either let it consume you or you fight to find yourself again. It seems OHJ “gave up” but he still wishes others didn’t (the mom who lost her child, the lady who was attacked by the killer, Sooyoung) Sooyoung gives him hope, not for himself personally (he considers himself already a lost cause) but the fact that she keeps living, that she in a way, has endured and has been maybe “stronger”, “braver” than him? its something he likes. I guess she gives him hope in the possibility of the existence of a better world, less dark, where justice exists too, even if he never gets to enjoy it himself. 

And why did he wait patiently to catch the killer? Because he believes he might get some relief after he gets caught (the lady in ep 10 said it, will it feel better when he gets caught? Meaning will she feel relief from the nightmare she lives in after her attacker gets caught? He opened his eyes, because this is how he feels about his own story) He ONLY lives to catch “The Guy” (and that in itself is what makes him so sad) He is craving for that closure, not thinking of a future ahead of that (in a way SY is on the same boat) 

BTW its not the first time JH plays a character fixated with a single purpose, stuck in the past and miserable, Daegil, Piljoo and Bangwon are all “one track mind” kind of people, but, they were shown more “sides” to them as people, as friends, their past, their mixed emotions, and even in domestic situations (eating, sleeping) they were more dimensional and had more obvious vulnerabilities. Like I said, I still feel and care for OHJ (mainly because I understand that he is depressed, stuck emotionally and that is realistic and sad) His superhuman physical strength though, I feel it is just distracting, a waste of screen time and kinda pushes me away from the character. 

@Prettysup I don’t “analyse” on purpose lol. I just express what the drama and characters make me “feel” but I also let go of logic quite often for the sake of enjoying the show. And there are many “holes” that I don’t even notice myself (or care enough to point out) 

@AquariusMY I want to burn the jacket, take off his sunglasses and stomp on them, wash his hair and tie it in a knot. After that, I’ll kiss him, get married and have babies. THE END 

• Like 5

@corey I know what you mean. My feelings for OHJ are ambivalent. I also want to see more dimension in him and feel more for him. I hope I get to that point. If not, so be it, I’ll move on to the next character but for now, I still want more from him. His love for Isu, yeah, Ive lost hope they’ll show that. Its a bit late in the game. Let’s say I “buy” OHJs pain maybe because I want to? (I think his fixation with Isu is not just love but she served as his “wifi”, who connected him to the world. If you watch BM, you’ll get what I mean) The way I see it, without Isu he is lost, not because he loved her so much, but because she was literally everything to him. She was the only person in his life. Him being such a weirdo, seems that it makes it almost impossible for him to form relationships (I really wish they made this more obvious) 

But I understand the drama is not showing it enough (telling us, not showing us) JH himself is being stingy with his expressiveness, but I can’t blame him entirely. It must be a conundrum trying to convey an inner world with a character who barely has interaction with other characters in the drama. And he is “supposed” to be limited in his expressiveness (like Piljoo and LYO) but those characters had the benefit that their stories were told through flashbacks and through their interactions with many other characters, it allowed us to see them in different facets.

They also had to confront their personal “enemies” every episode, the cause for their pain (Piljoo with the Jang family, LYO with his father and society’s prejudice) Their vulnerabilities were always present and reminded to us. LYO at least was clearly an underdog (it became more clear with each episode) Piljoo was an underdog who was also a punisher (highly satisfying) But OHJ, is more like a ghost who can’t move on until he resolves his grudge. Maybe if he was a ghost for real we would “feel” more for him. Imagine Sooyoung solving crimes with the aid of her broody sexy ghost partner :P

• Like 2

@corey Awwwww! Lucky you!!! You have so much stuff to explore! Please watch Beautiful Mind next! Even if his hair is weird, even if you don’t like medical dramas! Watch it and I’m almost positive you won’t regret it (that character is sorta what I wish OHJ was but of course he can’t be exactly the same) 

Im so glad you watched and liked Chuno yayyyy (watching that and FTLY just shows his amazing range!) plus, you’ve seen his best crying scenes then. But wait, weren’t you asking for happy endings? Was that you? I got confused now haha 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, corey said:

I say again- why pair JH with an attractive woman if nothing comes out of it????

Become u don’t get to be

a female lead in kdramaland if u are not attractive in the first place haha

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey I tried to quote you to respond to specific statements but its hard on my phone

I discovered that if we press ‘return’ a few times after a sentence it gets off cut easily even using phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, corey said:

Sorry for answering so late, but I was away and then I had the new episode of TMWYS to watch :).

Thanks for sharing! Was nice reading your journey. And I hope you’re currently enjoying MF a lot! Wow you finished Chuno, that was quick. I thought you just finished SOGC haha. How many shows do you watch concurrently? :lol:

Yeah I also discovered JH “late” even though I had watched quite A lot of dramas before. Admittedly JH wasn’t my favorite to begin with, I liked one other actor ALOT, but now after I got to know JH, my liking for the other actor isn’t so much anymore haha (I don’t know if it’s because I realized JH had talent far superior to him or because out of sight, out of mind - he’s in military now) but still I do have a huge soft spot for him. But JH is truly one of a kind. I’d say, watching JH in shows gives you a picture of his insane acting range and talent, but it was reading his interviews, and watching him on variety shows that truly made me fall for him as a human being! I loved how he carried himself, his philosophies towards life and family, how he bounced back from the biggest challenge in his life, his adorkableness and shyness, his groundedness, his silly humor. And need we say, his out of the world handsome features. But yeah, it was the human side of him that truly drew me more into this wonderful actor (cos great actors are many out there, but I feel his personal qualities and discipline towards life were what set hm apart). I loved watching him in Dragon Bro’s, in Happy Together, in Urban Cops, and Real Men. Haven’t watched the rest. And then all the countless interview clips that @azureblue7 always posted + @dramafan33 and her team always transcribed on Stuck On Hyuk, you get a glimpse of the real Hyuk. Suffice to say, all those were enough to make me a true fan of this remarkable man! 

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I want to burn the jacket, take off his sunglasses and stomp on them, wash his hair and tie it in a knot. After that, I’ll kiss him, get married and have babies. THE END 

Hahaha oh @dramafan33!!! :lol: that is definitely more exciting than OHJ’s lifeless life now haha. His hotness, long mane, and manliness is so wasted in this role indeed. No romantic or sexy scenes at all. Not even any flirting! 

Btw, for the sake of his and his family’s health, this is one of those times when I hope he takes a break from doing back to back projects. (Plus he hasn’t stopped filming since March last year?) Covid-19 seems to be spiking like crazy in South Korea, and soon globally too. Seriously has become a health pandemic. :( just hope it won’t drag out too long. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Prettysup said:

U guys really analyse so much. I feel like I am just a shallow viewer haha. 

i'm analyse when I'm watching but after that i forgot what to analyse. So, that's make me shallow viewers too? :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

11 hours ago, corey said:

I wonder whether we will see that. Would you believe, that right at this moment,  I would not mind if OHJ dies at the end of the drama. Because other than his hot looks, there is very little that makes me root for him as a character. If he suffers so much in this life and is so numbed, then it is ok for me if he dies...

Do you know I don't even bother to watch Sunday's episode. I watched Saturday's episode but it still is not picking up in momentum for me. Too many cases solving week after week, with SY using her memory (nothing fresh anymore) & apart from that, we know nothing about OHJ except that he wants to take revenge for Isu. But in earlier scenes, 1 of the scene where he came home, Isu was lying down on the sofa, it doesn't look like he loved Isu alot. Seemed strange to me because if audience is let to believe that he loves Isu alot, that scene doesn't show he loves her alot.

And I agree with @dramafan33that I rather watch Bang Won in My Country than OHJ in TMWYS. OHJ is almost expressionless. His numbness has made me numbed too. Hahaha!

Do you know which scene I cannot stand in BM, much as I liked that drama - where she gets to arrest LYO and even puts him in handcuffs. I cringed when I watched that. She came alone, looking like a baby and tried to handcuff this serious doctor. He should have laughed in her face.

That's truly a bad scene. I know is dramaland but please also have some logic or some knowledge about how a hospital function. As far as I know, Operating Theatre is an area unauthorised personnel has no entry access. Even normal nurses can't get in there except the Theatre Nurses or maybe the very senior nurses. But here we have a traffic policewoman, barged right into the Op Theatre to handcuff a Surgeon preparing for op. And without a "warrant of arrest" + she works alone. 

10 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

As for Soo Young, she is only an amateur cop turned detective. But they allowed her to go out investigating on her own and even had to fight men. There were scenes where the situations were clearly dangerous but they allowed her to wander off on her own to catch the killer?

But it is not a genre that will garner popularity votes.

If I am not a JH fan, I would have switched channel at the 1st episode or 2nd episode. You're right, it's not a genre that will garner popularity votes. I agree about the lighting of the drama. Is always so dark, can't they just make it brighter a little for the audience to see properly. Is always dark & like smoky feeling.

Bad writing again with regards to SY working on her own being an amateur cop. I'm just appalled that a rookie cop can become a detective so easily & drama makes her have the "upperhand" that all relies on her memory to get a mystery solved & the rest of the team seems redundant running here & running there. Can we have 1 or 2 cases solved by the rest of the team members without her memory? At least something different & something fresh.

4 hours ago, corey said:

By accident I got hooked on costume C-Dramas (until I realized that the always use dubbing for the actor's voices).

Hahaha! Yes I remember you're sensitive to voices. But honestly, if you listen to actor Hawick Lau speaks mandarin, you wish his speeches are dubbed. But not all voices are dubbed, some C drama still uses the original voices of the artistes.

4 hours ago, corey said:

Can you think of any actor at all who works so hard and is so dedicated, so handsome and so talented?

I watch more of C drama so (please do not get angry) I say yes, there are definitely actors who work hard too, dedicated to his craft too, talented too but handsome, maybe not as handsome as JH.

In this industry, luck does play a part or alot of part. If one is not handsome, hardly get good roles because his face doesn't sell. You end up getting roles that is less popular with the general audience like maybe war genre, police genre, gang genre, martial arts genre, etc. But if you look at the acting skills of these not handsome actors, they actually can act better than some of the handsome actors that we've seen. Same for actresses, some actresses look so gorgeous, so sexy, so pretty but cannot act.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, budgerie said:

Frankly, well written or well produced or not, all these are subjective. We may think it's not well written but there will be people who think it is well written & well produced.

We can't use our "standard" to gauge that JH should do this, act this, reject this. Whether is miscalculation or bad choices, at that moment when he accepted the role, it was the "best" decision. But if it turned out bad, it isn't in his control. Actors only act their role but whether the audience will like it or not is subjective. It also depends on the genre.

Some artistes only go for love genre. Because it's a genre the general audience can relate to. Probably instant fame too & shippers start shipping the onscreen couple. But for JH, he goes for roles that he likes that will give him the space to explore the character & not just for popularity sake. He's a true actor with lots of passion. 

Every drama of his is a "success". Why? Because JH put his heart & soul & sweat into it to create that person out of nowhere. But whether or not the audience likes what he created is, to each his own.

Sorry for the late response but thank you for putting it so nicely! You always give a grounded perspective which I appreciate, @budgerie, esp when my expectations get too high and I get disappointed when people don’t acknowledge him or his works as much as us fans would like. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

6 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Sorry for the late response but thank you for putting it so nicely! You always give a grounded perspective which I appreciate, @budgerie, esp when my expectations get too high and I get disappointed when people don’t acknowledge him or his works as much as us fans would like. 

Hahaha! I understand where you're coming from. Is all because of your love for JH & you want to wish him every success. You want people to know him, more more people to know him. That's very natural.

Then again, everyone has their taste as to who they like, what sort of genre they like. To JH fans, he is the best. We may feel no other actors surpassed JH. But to others, JH fans included, may feel there are other actors better than him. We can't argue who's right & who's wrong because the bottomline is still individual preference/taste/liking. 

Personally for me, I don't see him as the best that no other actors surpassed. There are other actors who matched him. But does that make me a less JH fan? No, definitely not. I watch C drama as well as K drama as well as T drama & HK drama, I have my fav actor in every category. I don't put any artiste on a pedestal.   

Please don't get disappointed over something you can't control. Otherwise, every drama of his is going to be stressful for you when the drama doesn't hit the required viewership or ratings. You get depressed that JH is not liked or loved the way you want him to be liked/loved. In all honesty, JH is not upset or bothered that this peson doesn't like him or doesn't like his work. Like him or don't like him, he still has a job to do & he does it well. If he is a person who gets upset over such matters, he would have taken on only roles that will fit the general audience & garner high viewership & take many awards.

The end result is not important (viewership & ratings) but the process is (the filming). Coming back to something more relatable in real life, we may study like crazy for our exams (the process) but we may not end up being 1st in class (the result). Is just beyond our control right? (Sorry ah, another long story here but I'm kinda worried if you continue to get disappointed, you'll be depressed).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, corey said:

As  I see more of his work, the more I think he is the most talented and versatile of all the Korean actors I have seen so far. Heck, of all the actors I have seen so far! The work he did in Chuno was simply breathtaking. Can you think of any actor at all who works so hard and is so dedicated, so handsome and so talented? Anyone? The only one that comes to my mind is De Niro, but he loses sadly with JH in the looks department.

So, I am really fortunate because I still have so much good dramas with our oppa to watch!

4 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

I loved how he carried himself, his philosophies towards life and family, how he bounced back from the biggest challenge in his life, his adorkableness and shyness, his groundedness, his silly humor. And need we say, his out of the world handsome features. But yeah, it was the human side of him that truly drew me more into this wonderful actor (cos great actors are many out there, but I feel his personal qualities and discipline towards life were what set hm apart)

Aww.... I can't help but smile super broadly reading these..my same sentiments. I know he's definitely not perfect but u summed it up so well.

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

Please don't get disappointed over something you can't control. Otherwise, every drama of his is going to be stressful for you when the drama doesn't hit the required viewership or ratings. You get depressed that JH is not liked or loved the way you want him to be liked/loved. In all honesty, JH is not upset or bothered that this peson doesn't like him or doesn't like his work. Like him or don't like him, he still has a job to do & he does it well. If he is a person who gets upset over such matters, he would have taken on only roles that will fit the general audience & garner high viewership & take many awards.

You are so right about this and this is what I admire about him as well. 

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@AquariusMY I want to burn the jacket, take off his sunglasses and stomp on them, wash his hair and tie it in a knot. After that, I’ll kiss him, get married and have babies. THE END 

Hahaha! I can imagine that! Can the writer take note of this?

• Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 11:12 PM, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Its true, I only get aggravated when he gets unfairly dragged and blamed and its like people get on a mode like they forget all his good work suddenly. I felt it most strongly during Iris 2 and Voice (at the beginning of FTLY too, but then people changed their tune, and to a certain extent during SOGC) And its because Im a biased fan and I want all the good things for him always. Im ok with constructive criticism but some people just simply disrespect. 

Well, u can’t pleased everyone.

I really don’t care what people say about JH and not reading and knowing About the Korean entertainment industry is a bliss for me as well - in this way, I won’t get to read or know something unless it’s posted here which doesn’t really matter to me. 

and as a fan, I agree with @dramafan33 that including me, I want all the good things for him and if he happenEd to be casted in a bad production, I will still find good things about it like being still able to watch him act is a good thing itself. And I don’t watch other Korean drama or movies except JH so I won’t know if what else is good hee hee!

Given his age, he may have lesser and lesser production so yes watch while i can and watch while he is still offered roles and accepting them :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, corey said:

I am currently on my second episode of MF, and I am not skipping any scenes! This for me is a proof that this is a good show so far.

MF is the only JH drama that I didn't fast forward. :DIt was able to engage me, I was interested to know what's happening next. Don't you just find Pil Joo so handsome looking? :wub:Hahaha!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, budgerie said:

MF is the only JH drama that I didn't fast forward. :DIt was able to engage me, I was interested to know what's happening next. Don't you just find Pil Joo so handsome looking? :wub:Hahaha!

Money flower wasssss soooooo goooooood!!! 
The plot, the twist, the cliffhanger, the OsT, the cast, the everything! 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Yes... especially with his rolled up sleeves..hehe.

giphy-1.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, corey said:

One of my favourite clean shaven looks. He should do it more often :wub:.

However, I am slightly confused that I laughed at some scenes. (like the "punching in the car" scene in episode 2). It is normal to laugh at it :unsure:?

:joy:I hope so because I laughed too!  

• LOL 2