Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

what are peoples thought's on while you were sleeping , i personally rank it after Pinocchio , School 2013 , I hear your voice , W. 

Something about While you were sleeping does not click for me ill finish it but i find the Romance odd and pretty forced i feel like they didnt fall in love they were basically in love from the first episode , i think the bromance's save that show pretty hard. 

• Like 6

From a fan @gilaswan in WYWS thread:

So I've been reading the comments made of Lee Jongsuk's acting being "half-hearted" or him not being "sufficiently immersed" in this drama. I am admittedly a huge fan of his shows - I fall in love with just about every character he plays, including this of Jung Jaechan. But being as unbiased as I must be in my assessment of his performance in this series, I naturally... turned to my husband for his opinion! :D Hubby being the most disinterested-in-Kdrama-unless-the-plot-and-acting-come-together-superbly person I know. It's an achievement on the part of the writer, director and actors that I managed to get Hubby to follow this drama with me.

And Hubby's opinion?

Lee Jongsuk is doing perfectly portraying the character of Jung Jaechan who is meant to be a bit socially unwilling, at times aloof, awkward, fearful of commitment, but having all of that overturned by Nam Hongjoo who is awakening sensibilities in him he kept dormant since his father died. AND I AGREE! 

True he started on this role very soon after concluding filming of VIP (I've not watched it but read enough reviews to imagine what kind of a psychotic character he had to play, nothing I'm honestly too keen to watch), and it takes a lot to switch gears so suddenly. But he also had 5 months to grow into this character, and I think he did. I'm not sure why anyone would think LJS wasn't emoting this character enough. This character is exactly not the emotional sort. If anything, LJS is extremely careful with the emotions he's projecting through Jung Jaechan because

Jaechan

• is not particularly outwardly expressive - look at the spoiler clip of his date with Hongjoo while cameo Lee Sungkyung and Yoon Kyunsang are being all cutesy and overly showy on their date. Jaechan was looking at them part awkwardly, part disgustedly, and was all round confused as to what it means to be an attentive boyfriend. Seriously? A reed to replace flowers??  

• spent so much of his growing up years trying to play himself down before others - remember how Detective Choi said that Jaechan acts all stupid but was surprised at how much he prepared in order to indict the wife beater? He does that so that people's expectations of him remain constantly kept at bay.

• is afraid to commit, so being aloof is the best way to go about life - he consciously avoided kissing Hongjoo the first time even though his dream showed him he would, and articulated in the voiceover that he liked her but was clearly afraid of committing to a relationship because he didn't want to let her down (just as he had feared he would let his father down). 

But Jaechan finds outlets for these repressed emotions - he takes all these photos of himself with his prosecutor badge, driving a car, graduation pics and places them in his father's niche; he gets jealous when he sees Hongjoo hugging Wootak in his dream and takes it out on poor Seungwon; he goes all giddy after getting over the shock of Hongjoo giving him a peck on his lips. Basically, this guy is neurotic and LJS brings about this other side of him perfectly! All cool as a cucumber on the outside, but silly and gooey on the inside.

I love Lee Jongsuk's portrayal of Jung Jaechan. Can't imagine anyone else playing this role.  :wub:

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, irenetan said:

From a fan @gilaswan in WYWS thread:

So I've been reading the comments made of Lee Jongsuk's acting being "half-hearted" or him not being "sufficiently immersed" in this drama. 

And Hubby's opinion?

Lee Jongsuk is doing perfectly portraying the character of Jung Jaechan who is meant to be a bit socially unwilling, at times aloof, awkward, fearful of commitment, but having all of that overturned by Nam Hongjoo who is awakening sensibilities in him he kept dormant since his father died. AND I AGREE! 

Thank you to the commentor! That's exactly what we were saying here. Jae Chan is still not my favorite LJS character but that's the way he was written and LJS did more and what he could to bring life to this character. We need to look less at why isn't a character more emotive in certain situations and look more at what kind of character is he supposed to be. 

2 hours ago, Rania Zeid said:

tumblr_oyqouvYXoV1sl7awmo3_540.jpg

This boy sure knows how to angle himself. He always look good in kissing scenes. ^^ 

• Like 5

I have to agree to some that wyws is really good esp the storyline but I feel like something's really lacking. It's already half of its run but I still didn't get the plot they're trying to show. Maybe because I am expecting too much of this drama after I've seen his former drama, W, which was very successful and had good reviews. I was quite confused about JS' role here because some of the scenes ARE really same with W, which made me see JS as Kang Chul and not Jae Chan. However, I just hope that the remaining episodes will be gooood, and I hope that the writer won't touch W's iconic scenes as some sort of 'reference'. Fighting, WYWS! :wub:

• Like 4

I think the danger as a viewer (same for actors, but we aren't in that position) is just being able to let go of one character and fully see a different character when it's a different story. Er...I do have the same problem mentioned above (of Kang Chul interference BECAUSE the drama keeps making direct references to W--not because of JS's acting. Ie he's busy being Jae Chan, and then something about how the drama is being filmed keeps turning around and saying, but remember Chul!). But I'm trying to see it differently. So I appreciated the description above of Jae Chan's essence.

Something about this feels more like a series and less like a drama, though, which I think weakens the role of the main character(s) a bit. Yes, there are dreams with people dying in them, but we know that dreams can be changed. What central struggle do the characters have that cannot be changed without permanently changing the characters? That's what I don't know yet. So many of JS's roles have been just that, so I think I am coming in with some expectations that may not necessarily fit this particular drama.

In any case, I'm still here for the ride, and still enjoying. :)

• Like 4

I should clarify to say that the scenes that pull me out are the ones that are direct references to other iconic scenes in other dramas. Especially if they are meant to be serious moments within WYWS, instead. I want the meaningful lynchpins of the story to arise organically from the story itself. But there are other references that I find hysterical, and they are the ones that are simply poking fun at JS himself:

"I don't want to give up wearing suits. I look good in suits!" (Yes. Yes, you do.)

"I don't care if they saved my life, or the country. I would never hug someone to say thank you. Because this is KOREA!" (Haaaaaa! If there is a planet where people entirely use touch instead of words to communicate, JS is from that planet.)

And the overly touchy-feely, flirty, pink-sweatshirted noona-dongsaeng couple in the field. You KNOW his friends had fun overacting that scene...

• Like 3

Hi everyone. I'm back. I was travelling on business and did not have time to post.

So my few words about drama and moods:

1. Moods have done their job to reduce the quantity of the posts in both threads (with all their warnings and so on - agree with @Rania Zeid)

2. Jong Suk is doing great in this new drama WYWS: he is different and I do not see Kang Chul @irenetan @gilaswan  @Riman Rakshit @frozentundra

3. It is first drama where nobody is shipping OTP, that is why there are not too much comments on WYWS thread and it has only 200 pages :D @ezze

Be happy everyone!

Let's enjoy what we have and do everything to keep this thread alive!

69adee8f-7035-4a09-824c-e5fcb7b9054b.png

[EngSub Preview Ep. 23-24]당신이 잠든 사이에 While you were sleeping

Full Episode 21-22: While You Were Sleeping 

• Like 4

Welcome back @ibru:blush: 

I agree with what you guys say and @gilaswan explained it very well

People often tend to confuse actors with their characters. Jong Suk is NOT Jae Chan. He is a warm, affectionate person. The only reason he seems emotionless on screen is coz the writer has written Jae Chan like that. And he is portraying exactly what the writer wants.

To call him emotionless is actually a compliment since that means Jong Suk is succesfully convincing you the role-that's how Jae Chan is awkward and unsocial.

• Like 5