[drama 2005] Resurrection/ Rebirth 부활

creidesca

Guest thesarahchong

I can't believe it.

I had this long reply. And it's officially erased.

To put shortly, I finished the drama just last night and I'm blown away after reading the 4 pages of reviews, analysis, comments, etc.

I'll come back with more detail after I calm down about my long post being erased.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Priscilla

I can't believe it.

I had this long reply. And it's officially erased.

To put shortly, I finished the drama just last night and I'm blown away after reading the 4 pages of reviews, analysis, comments, etc.

I'll come back with more detail after I calm down about my long post being erased.

Sorry to hear your long reply just vanished* puff *~~^ :(

I know how that feels...

But so glad to hear you had indeed a long reply. You must know I'm sucker of long replies.

Hmmm.... This thread's only like 5 page long, but there're soooooo many long replies, don't you think... It must have taken you quite some time to go through them all... I tried before, to make my 'replies' shorter... but I've given up! :P And I wonder what it is with this drama that makes fans write so much.

BTW, Armanigurl... I realized you mentioned you went through this too... DOES this mean you know the end BEFORE watching this??? That's NOT good <_< ...

Oh well... You know what's best I guess... B)

Sorry to hear your long reply just vanished* puff *~~^ :(

I know how that feels...

But so glad to hear you had indeed a long reply. You must know I'm sucker of long replies.

Hmmm.... This thread's only like 5 page long, but there're soooooo many long replies, don't you think... It must have taken you quite some time to go through them all... I tried before, to make my 'replies' shorter... but I've given up! :P And I wonder what it is with this drama that makes fans write so much.

BTW, Armanigurl... I realized you mentioned you went through this too... DOES this mean you know the end BEFORE watching this??? That's NOT good <_< ...

Oh well... You know what's best I guess... B)

aw Prisc.. u're so considerate.. haha... but I did not spoil myself after all... i realised that this drama was too good to be spoiled so i skipped through the spoilers and did not know how the drama would end.

I finished this drama last night... and started writing my review on it. To my horror, my review was 3 pages long. I don't know if I should post such a long review so I thought I'd gather my thoughts properly and write a shorter version of it. haha.

Guest Priscilla

I finished this drama last night... and started writing my review on it. To my horror, my review was 3 pages long. I don't know if I should post such a long review so I thought I'd gather my thoughts properly and write a shorter version of it. haha.

Didn't I tell you Panic Fans are crazy writers too? And crazy readers, I think... So I'd love to read your 3 page long Resurrection review!

On the contrary, I wrote a very short review right after watching this for the first time (in 2 days record time!). I was emotionally numb I didn't exactly know how I felt, so I tried to be 'objective' and didn't use much superlatives... It was later that I started to realize this drama has hit me harder than I thought, and that it deserves a better review than my very short one (which is posted in page 1). But I never got the energy to do this!

Prisc, I really tried to make my review shorter, but ........ the more i tried the longer it became :o so i gave up and finally decided that i'm gonna post this very long review....

------------------------------------------

MY "BU HWAL" EXPERIENCE.

Brief Synopsis

Yoo Kang Hyuk and Yoo Shin Hyuk (played by Uhm Tae Woong) are identical twins who were separated during an accident 20 years ago. For 20 years, Shin Hyuk thinks that his father and Kang Hyuk had perished in the mishap. Unbeknownst to Shin Hyuk is that his brother Kang Hyuk was alive and lived as a detective Suh Ha Eun who was also warmhearted and kind person. The drama tracks down the mystery that led to the fateful accident. 20 years later, Shin Hyuk is mistakenly killed by the same killers that initiated the accident. Kang Hyuk who survives vows revenge for his father and brother but his plans are met with conflict when the love of his life, Suh Eun Ha intervenes into his conscience.

"Bu Hwal" is more than just an interesting plot.

I couldn't decide whether watching "Bu Hwal" felt like reading a book that you could not put down or did it felt more like watching an intense professional poker game? What ever it felt like, it was a true rush, a mad experience. I literally carried my "Bu Hwal" episodes in my handbag wherever I went because I couldn't bear the thought of doing something else while I should have been completing this series.

"Bu Hwal" didn't have the most perfect form of acting, nor a script without any flaws, but it had to be one of the best Korean dramas I've ever seen. And it had the most amazing character that makes you wonder how Uhm Tae Woong could act out every piece of emotion that the character required of him. But he did a remarkable job in portraying the difficult character and made his own following because of it.

The story in "Bu Hwal" isn't just an interesting plot because there was something very humanistic about the characters. To get into the story of the drama, the viewers need to get into a mind game designed for the viewers of this drama. As if you needed to crack the right password to get into the game, this became a game of the good versus the corrupt.

Along the important scenes, clues of the story development can be picked up as if allowing the viewers themselves to join the puzzle of the story.

They say revenge is often sweet.

Can revenge ever be sweet as a popular saying often goes? This drama truly paints the picture of the opposite. How can revenge look sweet when you have to loose so much, and deny so much. To execute revenge successfully one must step into the mind of the dangerous players involved. In order to win, the main character Yoo Kang Hyuk had to be as wicked as his compatriots were. The unity of Kang Hyuk and Shin Hyuk in one body was for that purpose (UhmForce). To win in the game, he had to be a totally new set of person. It meant that Kang Hyuk can no longer be the person he used to be, and he had to deny all his past and the people associated with his past. And so he had to turn into a new man, griped with confusion, fear, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, hatred, cunningness, deception, grief, and torment.

But it was the hardest thing for him, because deep inside him, he was still Suh Ha Eun, the determined cop, a good and kind man. Slowly his identity is revealed one by one to the people who were close to him, making it hard for him to move on in the game. And so we see the determination of Kang Hyuk trying to fit into the role of revenging for his family but his feelings often got in the way.

"Bu Hwal" was truly one of the wittiest plots ever written without throwing in the usual predictable ingredients. The story remains true to keeping its plot exciting from beginning to the end.

Getting into the mind of Yoo Kang Hyuk / Suh Ha Eun

"Everything in this world can be tied together in a string"

I don't know how to address this character. Should I call him Ha- Eun, Kang Hyuk or Shin Hyuk? He was all three persons in one body, he was the little boy who lost his family as Yoo Kang Hyuk, he was the man who kept his love for his adopted sister for 17 years as Suh Ha Eun, and finally he was Yoo Shin Hyuk as a man of revenge and bitterness towards his enemies. The character Yoo Kang Hyuk is associated simultaneously with sadness and grief. Because of revenge, he was losing his identity and his heart was in the worst pain one could imagine. He was in pain because what he was plotting and doing were against the man he truly is. I am reminded of the scene at the rooftop, where he gripped his heart so tightly and as a viewer I thought at that moment his heart would have burst. Having borne all the secrets and pain all to himself, I often felt like he was going to collapse and just die from it.

As Yoo Shin Hyuk, he mentioned once he executed his enemies he'd breathe again. Moments with Suh Eun Ha was probably the only moment we saw him breath. When he hugged her that night she came to look for him, he hugged her so tight he looked like he was having difficulty breathing; or rather he was starting to breathe because of her. Fearing that what he was doing would hurt her yet overjoyed that she wanted to be near him.

He was often scared and tormented for taking the place of Yoo Shin Hyuk, but once he was in that place he often did really well. Perhaps years of being a cop, did train him well to play his cards ingeniously, making the enemies tremble and despaired at how they might be defeated in their own game. However, this was the most intelligent character I have ever seen. The things he thought about in dealing with his enemies were totally out of this world and incredibly smart that I'm often left numbed and awed.

Uhm Tae Woong has stepped out of his shell.

Did I already mention how fascinated I've become of this man? How astonished I was at how this actor made the character out to be. So what if there is already a million rave reviews about this actor, I still wanted to praise this man.

Personally, I thought the character that UhmForce had to play was one of the most complex characters I've ever seen. But UhmForce really did a great job in displaying himself as a man with conflicting emotions. By now, most of the people that have seen this drama would have been wowed at the ability of this man to reveal 1001 emotions that this character had to display. By personifying into the character of this drama, Uhm Tae Woong has convinced the world that his acting has entered into a league of its own, and succeeding in perhaps creating one of the most memorable characters in the minds of viewers and fans alike. I say, he very well deserved all the rave reviews he is getting and even receiving the title "UhmForce" by fans having shown such an amazing performance.

The supporting actors polished this story.

For a drama to be great, it is not sufficient for the script to be good, but the actors of the drama have to be 100% into the drama and be as convincing as possible to play the characters of the drama. Apart from the already mentioned excellent acting by Uhm Tae Woong, the supporting casts of the drama were equally of superior caliber making this a well rounded production. There are too many names to name, and if I started talking about them this review could be 10 pages long.

Every interesting plot needs interesting villains.

Some of the villains of this drama qualify to appear in the next horror film! Not an exaggeration if you've seen this drama. I think you'd agree that Kang In Chul who is Kang Hyuk/Shin Hyuk's step dad looks like a demoniac 60% of the time. You can put a horn to his head and he'd look just like someone possessed by the devil. Everything about him was evil and yet he was the smartest of all the villains. He was perhaps the only person who was on par and could compete with the intelligent plans of Yoo Kang Hyuk.

As the uncontrollable gangster Choi Dong Chan, I think the actor did well as the bad guy in the drama, it's just how the muscles of his face look like he's going to have a stroke that always gets me into hysterics :lol: At times I wanted to laugh at his facial expressions, how he tried hard to look like a bad thug, so his muscles would cringe like crazy when he acted angry, sly or cunning.

On the other hand, Kim Joo Bong did well as Jung Sang Gook who was perhaps the weaker one of the villains. All the money and power that he had, never could save him at the end of the day.

In terms of acting as a villain I really enjoyed the character of senator Lee Tae Joon. I must say that Kim Kap Soo really gave an awesome performance as the villain in the drama. Though he was beyond redemption, his character was one I could really believe in and I couldn't help myself but to marvel at his acting ability. I never knew that one could exude such charisma even while playing a bad guy in a drama

In the words of Yoo Shin Hyuk "In every circle, it begins with a starting point and ends at the same point."

What made "Bu Hwal" so immensely interesting was seeing how the villains of this drama who started their evil deeds ended up in the fate of their own evil trap, hence making the story of this drama complete in one full circle.

Characters who annoyed me.

At first I actually thought Lee Kang Joo was a really cool reporter, but as the story developed, I became annoyed at her doing things without thinking of the consequences and her constant questioning made her look like an irritating kid who can't stop asking questions. However, having said all that, I did like her body frame and her often nice outfits. She really has such long legs, makes me want to cry "God's Not Fair" when I look at her long legs in blue jeans. Aigoo!

Apart from her, Kim Soo Chul was another character I wanted to throw things at. I always feared that he is going to jeopardize Kang Hyuk's success in finding out the truth and punishing the villains. Personally, I think he is such an excess baggage, and I hate how he always answer important phone calls at places that people can hear him very conveniently. For that, I often felt like taking a out a gun and just shoot him.

However, there is a scene that I thought he did really well in. And it's the scene where he meets Kang Hyuk and begs for forgiveness. Some friends of mine actually told me that this man is really wooden in his acting. But for that scene, I thought he really gave it his all and therefore it was worth mentioning that he did display quite incredibly in that scene.

When I think about it, sometimes it's not a bad thing when drama contains characters that would annoy us. It's the only way the story could evoke the viewer's emotions and get them more into the story.

Their love could save the day.

Every k-drama needs a typical loving character like Suh Ha Eun with all his sweetness and knight in shining armor suit to make the girls gush and swoon for days. K-drama can only truly be K-drama when there's a beautiful love story in the background. And for that, this drama was extremely pleasurable because viewers still long for that vision of pure untainted love.

In the words of Eun Ha, "He was my soul…" I think its important to realize that in the events that took place, Ha Eun did not only take the place of Shin Hyuk and became one with Shin Hyuk, but Ha Eun was also part of Eun Ha and vice versa. For 17 years they loved in silence and dwelled in each other's heart. The love in their heart was indeed like the two light houses by the sea. Their love constantly looked out for each other and stayed firm as the light house were, never swayed or moved when faced with adversities.

For Ha-Eun to become like Yoo Shin Hyuk and deny Eun Ha is the hardest thing he had to do. Because Suh Eun Ha is like the light house in his heart, it never moved or could move no matter how hard he tried to move her. And she was always evident in his heart, no matter how well he was doing at trying to be someone else.

Actress Han Ji Min played an incredible job as Eun Ha, often using her large eyes to display the emotions of Eun Ha. Most of the time she came out looking fierce and cool headed, but when faced with Ha-Eun the love of her life, every emotion is evoked out of her eyes into her character which is really fascinating to watch.

The drama OST

Save all your money and just buy the OST! Enough Said!

It ended with a CRESENDO.

What began with DEATH ended with DEATH. And so was the destiny of the culprits just as the saying goes "what goes around comes around." The symbolisms of this drama truly are a powerful thing to grasp. I thought it was particularly interesting when Lee Tae Joon stood facing the river. To all the sins he had committed in his life, the water seemed to have invited him to wash himself of all the filth he was associated with.

I have to say that the ending was really one of the smartest ending ever. It connected every dot just like a string. It was, perhaps an ending that would leave me pondering about for days after writing this review.

In the end, it was time for Kang Hyuk to find his way back to his real self. With the death of Shin Hyuk, he had died together with him. But now that the perpetrators were finally paying the price they deserved, it was time for Kang Hyuk to resurrect and breathe once more.

===========================

NOW! CAN I OFFICIALLY CALL MYSELF A RESURRECTION PANIC MEMBER! :lol:

Guest bonababy

Didn't I tell you Panic Fans are crazy writers too? And crazy readers, I think... So I'd love to read yuor 3 page long Resurrection review!

On the contrary, I wrote a very short review right after watching this for the first time (in 2 days record time!). I was emotionally numb I didn't exactly know how I felt, so I tried to be 'objective' and didn't use much superlatives... It was later that I started to realize this drama has hit me harder than I thought, and that it deserves a better review than my very short one (which is posted in page 1). But I never got the energy to do this!

i guess nobody really beat you in this marathon.i finished mine in 3 days, and as you mentioned, after i was

done i can't recollect my thought due to it's emotional impact on me.Even until now, still has an effect on me,

drama still linger in my mind.

I'm not a good writer,I have expressive aphasia in terms of writing , but very good in reading other's review.

Guest Priscilla

NOW! CAN I OFFICIALLY CALL MYSELF A RESURRECTION PANIC MEMBER! :lol:

Are you proclaiming yourself a RESURRECTION PANIC or are you asking us if you're qualified.... Oh dear... after THAT review!~ I don't think anyone would dare to call you otherwise!

But you should definitely watch the 820 PANIC NIGHT, the end of drama celebration organized by Panic fans where most staff and artists attended. This was one of the best Fan Meeting I've ever watched!

BTW, can I post this review elsewhere pleeeeease?!!!

ah how could i put an exclaimation mark at the end of my sentence instead of a question mark and confuse you Prisc! :lol: in my excitement, i turned a question into a proclaimation! haha..

and yes you can post my panic review elsewhere... but tell me where ok. :) sorry for the spelling or grammar mistakes :P

ps: now that i'm done with the drama i guess i'm gonna start downloading the clips ;)

Guest bonababy

according to X of twitchfilm.net, the one who did a marvelous review on RESU,the Director's Cut DVD will be

out mid-December but he did not say if it has english sub.

hope there will be.Crossing the fingers.

:(

Guest Priscilla

ah how could i put an exclaimation mark at the end of my sentence instead of a question mark and confuse you Prisc! :lol: in my excitement, i turned a question into a proclaimation! haha..

and yes you can post my panic review elsewhere... but tell me where ok. :) sorry for the spelling or grammar mistakes :P

ps: now that i'm done with the drama i guess i'm gonna start downloading the clips ;)

Actually, can you post this at hotelier Resurrection thread? Thunder prompted me to start a RESU thread at JSA Club but it's not ready yet. Unless you want to start building it yourself, I was planning on putting your review there...

For now, I'll just put it at my Xanga and at UTW_Cafe...

thank you for thinking so highly of my review that you'd want to put it up elsewhere..

I will post it up in hotelier soon.. but don't think i'm ready to start a RESU thread in JSA.. i'm such a new panic member... i'm just a baby... :)

and gosh, its been awhile since i've visited anyone's Xanga :)

Prisc, I really tried to make my review shorter, but ........ the more i tried the longer it became :o so i gave up and finally decided that i'm gonna post this very long review....

------------------------------------------

I don't know how to address this character. Should I call him Ha- Eun, Kang Hyuk or Shin Hyuk? NOW! CAN I OFFICIALLY CALL MYSELF A RESURRECTION PANIC MEMBER! :lol:

>_____< ah~~ haha that was what i said before too i think in the old thread before soompi crash ~~ hehe ...we so soulmate .~~ .i have difficulties everytime i want to call him by a name yet hesitiate to choose which to use ~

.... ;) wow soulmate when was the last time u wrote so much for a drama ~~ pity your forum went into coma .~~ otherwise you will have a place to showcase your review .~~ ..^^ ..good work done .~ .

wow AG ... what a review!!! i'm impressed.

just one thing though ... it's probably minor but eun-ha is not ha-eun's step sister? that would mean either of their parents married each other ... she's more his adopted sister? but if i remember correctly he calls eun-ha's dad ahjussi so that can't be it either... hmmn... oh well ... anyway ... great job. *clap clap*

Guest happyshirt

I am in the middle of a Resurrection marathon. i had a bit of trouble in the 1st couple of episodes but after that. oh wow! This is the best series of any kind (Hong Kong, American or Korean) that i've ever caught.

The plot, the emotions and intensity just blows me away. i think it is due mainly to UTW's potrayal of the man torn between the nice person he is and the person he is forced to be to get revenge for the wrongs done to his family.

I'm hooked been watching ep after ep. Couldn't sleep last nite thinking bout the plot. not to mention crying in practically episode.

Guest a_lot_dumb

IT's just so INTENSE i was so addicted...and i'm not known for watching TV!! I bought the OST...anyone else got it?? Anyone who's watching it and loves it, really, it's worth it. I love t so much.

I love it more than Shin Hyesung. There, how about that??

Is there going to be a DVD release? I really want it. But I dunno if they're gonna sell it in Australia. AWW...I REALLY WANT IT...

wow AG ... what a review!!! i'm impressed.

just one thing though ... it's probably minor but eun-ha is not ha-eun's step sister? that would mean either of their parents married each other ... she's more his adopted sister? but if i remember correctly he calls eun-ha's dad ahjussi so that can't be it either... hmmn... oh well ... anyway ... great job. *clap clap*

>_____< ah~~ haha that was what i said before too i think in the old thread before soompi crash ~~ hehe ...we so soulmate .~~ .i have difficulties everytime i want to call him by a name yet hesitiate to choose which to use ~

.... ;) wow soulmate when was the last time u wrote so much for a drama ~~ pity your forum went into coma .~~ otherwise you will have a place to showcase your review .~~ ..^^ ..good work done .~ .

*takes an humble bow* to tell the truth, I also have no idea what happened to me...

my only explaination is.. Yoo Shin Hyuk must have possessed me to write the review... i've never written a review that long in my life and what not, the review did not contain a single description of how hot the main actor is.. honestly, i am astonished myself.. :D

as for addressing Eun Ha as Ha Eun's step sister, well i couldn't decide what term to use, then I thought that since "stepmothers" normally have no blood ties to their step children, I thought I could use the term "step sister"..

ok, maybe i'll change that term to adopted sister, sounds less confusing eh.. :)

cutie, i remembered you said you couldn't get into this drama but wanted to rewatch it... would have been nice to be able to get you in this drama and start discussing the drama with you .. :rolleyes:

happyshirt, i totally agree! i was just like you.. i would think about this drama before i slept at night too! It was just so thought provoking that it even played in my dreams while i slept.. :) and yes, like you i cried in almost every episode at the beginning... but as the story progressed and the viewers identified more with Kang Hyuk, you also cry less because he too looked more immune to the pain... i found that in the later episodes, instead of having compassion for him, I began to marvel at his tactics and wits.. sometimes just dumbfounded at the things he thinks of !

a_lot_dumb, seems like you really love this drama... as Priscilla would call you... a true PANIC fan :D

Guest rainy75

Some of the villains of this drama qualify to appear in the next horror film! Not an exaggeration if you've seen this drama. I think you'd agree that Kang In Chul who is Kang Hyuk/Shin Hyuk's step dad looks like a demoniac 60% of the time. You can put a horn to his head and he'd look just like someone possessed by the devil. Everything about him was evil and yet he was the smartest of all the villains. He was perhaps the only person who was on par and could compete with the intelligent plans of Yoo Kang Hyuk.

AG ...I've havent seen such a long review for sooooooo long... :o

well said... *clap clap* ......

i agree the OST is good.. mine is on the way ....

btw.. if u notice... this demoniac u mentioned above is mr president in Praha now... :lol:

so we have a demoniac president.. :P

As Yoo Shin Hyuk, he mentioned once he executed his enemies he'd breathe again. Moments with Suh Eun Ha was probably the only moment we saw him breath. When he hugged her that night she came to look for him, he hugged her so tight he looked like he was having difficulty breathing; or rather he was starting to breathe because of her. Fearing that what he was doing would hurt her yet overjoyed that she wanted to be near him.

well said. i can't agree more. the one part of Ha Eun that keeps him alive is the love of him for Eun Ha. I think Uhm tae woong played so well in this drama. his character kept me on the spot for all 3 days.

and the OST is so damn good! the thing with the dice that relates the Shin Hyuk, Ha Eun and Eun Ha so creative. and he kiss :wub: is to die for.

there isn't a moment that i didn't love watching this drama.

does anyone notice the reporter Lee Kang Joo looks like Choi Ji Woo. that anoys me actually.

Archived