[drama 2005] Resurrection/ Rebirth 부활

creidesca

Guest Pucca.sg

Thanks for sharing the drama review and the pictures :)

Really enjoy watching this drama...

Uhm Tae Woong is a very good actor

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest angele0487

[The following are the exact words (from KBS script, which sometimes differs) spoken by our resurrected man in the scene at the beach... [translated by Priscilla]

(to God) “Where are you? Where are you? You can’t do this. You can’t. Are you watching me? Are you really? (He kneels down inside the seashore, his body’s wet.) Until now I only asked one thing from you… That whenever I was tired and wanted to give up… (tearing) that you give me strength to walk one more step… that'd be enough… that's how I prayed. ~ If you really exist… you can’t blame me now… This is your doing.”

I love this scene, too!

It made me realize how deep Ha eun is. And made me really respect him, b/c he's going through so much, he's really a kind and strong person. I love how strong his character is, and it really shows his strength in this scene.

I made a clip of it, here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZN0G7SSA

Guest VergsLGM

ahh this drama was so good! the last episode was soo good =]

Could you please tell me what happened on the last episode PLEASE!!!

Guest Priscilla

I love this scene, too!

It made me realize how deep Ha eun is. And made me really respect him, b/c he's going through so much, he's really a kind and strong person. I love how strong his character is, and it really shows his strength in this scene.

I made a clip of it, here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZN0G7SSA

Thanks for the clip but... I can't seem to download this...

Could you please tell me what happened on the last episode PLEASE!!!

Are you the type that likes to know the ending before starting on a drama? Too bad... I feel it may really spoil the fun. But since you ask... Let me just tell you the MOST important part:

DOES Ganghyuk die? ~ NO, but he almost did. Is it a happy ending? I'd say... since he went too far with his actions... it was as happy as it could get. I couldn't have thought of a better way to end this.

I'll talk more later about the ending...

THIS WERE POSTED BY SHIRLEY @ hotelier2002

haha and this i like ..

eun ha and ha eun

200507241122165332.gif

this is shin hyuck

200507191121771124.gif

this is shin hyuck cum ha eun and kang hyuck ..(actually i wonder if it was just me i noticed the way he walk is different .when he is ha eun and when he is shin hyuck - i meant the orginal shin hyuck .. )

200507191121771256.gif

Guest Priscilla

anyone care to respond to nchristi's response after watching the final episode (remember that the version nchristi saw, at least 20 minutes worth of scenes were cut out):

anyways, this was my response:

I do not feel that concluding, Haeun expanded "the circle of hate." Had he had, Park Heesu would have never said to Chun Sajang "If you meet him by any chance, tell him I'm so grateful that he's still alive." Forgiveness, from Park Heesu's side had begun, likely from the moment he had snapped from that trance of his to find that he had stabbed Haeun. Maybe, unlike Haeun, who took longer to realize, Heesu saw the horrors of taking revenge into his own hands, but nonetheless, Heesu had begun the forgiving process when he decided not to finger Haeun as the mastermind in the Lion Fund swindle.

Had Haeun wanted to continue with his revenge, he could have easily wrought it upon the children--Gangju, Heesu, Jinwu, Shinyeong...but that was certainly something he did not want nor could he do, as he kept trying to take Gangju off the case from which he led her on; in total conflict with regards to Heesu as he had become attached to him, knowing that he is unlike his father, treating him as a long time friend; he had never directly involved Jinwu into his revenge, and in the final 2 epis, his concern for his mother and half-sister and questioning on what he had to do.

It is important to also note Gangju's final lines at the end of the drama: "I don't understand something about Heesu and Gangheok. My half-brother went to jail without mentioning anything about Ganghyeok, and Ganghyeok also covered up about Heesu stabbing him."

Clearly, the cycle of revenge has ended right there, allowing for Gangheok to return Eunha as Haeun. But Haeun did not immediately return. Instead, as Eunha said: People say that he won't come back, but I know. In order to come back here, he's walking a long and hard road." And from the final scenes, Haeun still has a long ways ahead of him (indicated by the backpack and the long road in front of him)...how long will it take for him to return to Eunha's side, we will never know, but from the way he had turned around and looked upon road the he had taken, and the "smile" which he gave, the healing process has clearly begun. And when he does finally reach Eunha, he can then ask her for that cup of water...and Haeun would be reborn...

Hi Sandy! I've been meaning to answer to this question since I first read this, but only now I can sit down to 'think through' the discussion. Nice answer that you gave! I really like how you explain that the cycle of hate was closed and not expanded... that the mutual forgiveness by both Ganghyuk and Heesoo proved to be the healing ointment that will end all that cycle of hate.

Here is some more discussion by Shirley and I regarding that ending (posted in the previous page):

http://www.xanga.com/contentlatest.asp?use...=reviews&bflag=

I wonder who Nchristi is ~ I like the way she puts this. Will she be able to join in our discussion here if we continue?

I did not enjoy this last episode. While I am glad that Haeun was able to extricate himself from the horrors of his own actions—and we are led to conclude that one day he will return and live happily ever after—the very fact that he is so psychologically screwed up now is proof that his course of action was questionable.

My immediate reaction was this: The folly of revenge. It solves nothing, hurts the revenge seeker, hurts other innocent people. As Shakespeare put it, Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot/That it do singe yourself. Or, closer to my own personal philosophy, Epictetus wrote: In the long run, every man will pay the penalty for his own misdeeds. The man who remembers this will be angry with no one, indignant with no one, revile no one, blame no one, offend no one, hate no one.

I totally agree that revenge does more evil than good, because the avenger ends up becoming similar to the 'criminals' by using their 'dirty' methods. This is the reason why, like Phillip Yancey wrote in "THE JESUS I NEVER KNEW," the only way to stop evil is by someone willing himself to become the target, the 'victim,' to absorve all the violence upon himself... to let abusers to use the willing victim till they run out of energy... and in the end, to forgive them... which is, like Gangjoo said, the best type of revenge. (This is why God alone should avenge, since He alone has the rights and the power to do so...)

Enough with theology. Now, in real life, the 'offer the other cheeck' can only be accomplished by saints. 'Eye for eye' & 'tooth for tooth' is the more natural reaction... And although Haeun, our hero, is in my eyes closer to being a saint than most people are... he is still a human being with emotions, and very deep ones! Touch him once, provoke him again... and then break his heart, destroy what he love most... WHO among us... I wonder... knowing of his circumstances, could demand that he just 'forgives' and let go... and blame him for his course of action. In his prayer after his brother's death... he demanded God to judge him... so sure he was that not even God could blame him... I feel that even his worst enemies understood him... no one could blame him... (except Kang Inchul, who was too proud to even ask for forgiveness...) and Heesoo, he too understood~ that ANYONE in Haeun's shoes would do the same.

But like Christi said, 'in the long run, everyone shall pay for their action...' While no one judged him, they also knew he had to deal with the consequences of his actions... Others may have forgiven him, but he still needed time to forgive himself, time to clean his hands and his head... How long will this take, no one knew. But the one person who knew him most... Eunha, her soulmate... she was confident that he'd return... healed from his 'past sins.'

Haeun expanded a circle of hate. He used innocent people to get even with his father‛s killers. Poor Heesu, just a pawn in Haeun's game. He paid back to Haeun what he deserved. We don‛t like that because Haeun is our hero, but he deserved it. He maneuvered Heesu to be the one causing his own father's death! Murder is bad enough (though technically suicide), but Haeun also forever deprived Heesu of knowing and having his father, which he so desperately needed (that's why he "hated" his absentee father so much). And that is why Haeun tried to cover for Heesu, wiping off his fingerprints—because he knew he had wronged Heesu terribly. (Haeun also shamelessly used Gangju.)

Come to think of it, on the scales of justice, was Heesu‛s stabbing Haeun worse than Haeun‛s deliberate plotting and accomplishing the deaths of others? Only Heesu ended up in prison and Haeun didn‛t because he orchestrated the "revenge deaths" from afar and did his dirty work through others. If revenge is so great and satisfying, why is Haeun on a hard road, still unable to reconcile himself a year later? Obviously, it isn‛t and that‛s why he‛s not home yet.

If you read many old literature, your enemy's children are your enemies too, and the best way to hit your enemy was by hurting the children. You even see this type of 'children paying for parent's sins' in the Old Testament Bible... Kang In Chul also mentioned that the best way to hit your enemy was by hitting them in their weakest point... and Lee Tae Joon, he mentioned that he becomes a weakling in front of his children...

So it's very easy to understand why Ganghyuk 'used' Gangjoo (and Heesoo). Towards the end... when Gangjoo finds out the truth about her father... at first I thought she'd run to Ganghyuk to cry on his shoulders... but she didn't. And if you think about it, she couldn't... not after knowing her father was responsible in the death of Ganghyuk's father's and brother's death... So yes, Ganghyuk 'used' Gangjoo at first, trying to hit Lee Tae Joon in his weakest spot... but Gangjoo, rather than being angry at him, I think she should have felt guilty... sorry for Ganghyuk, unable to confront him.

What I like most about this drama is that I see Ganghyuk 'hesitating' a lot while he's plotting. He's VERY THIRSTY for revenge, that's for sure... but he never stops being a good man by heart. He 'used' Gangjoo at first... but later on, he regrets it... and he tries to protect her. Same goes with Hee-soo. He was 'using' the son of 'the killer' but he couldn't block his heart from liking this most innocent guy, who kept on calling him 'hyung.' He felt 'guilty' everytime Hee-soo tried to befriend him... this was another reason he wanted him out of the country before the scandal breaks out... Mr. Chun told him to 'explain himself' to Hee-soo, that if Hee-soo knows his story, Hee-soo may understand Gang-hyuk. But Ganghyuk was not looking for understanding... he just wanted to protect Hee-soo from finding out the horrendous truth... I feel that Ganghyuk repented so many times of involving Hee-soo into all this fiasco~ which is the reason why... when he was stabbed... he automatically started wiping the blood... understanding Hee-soo... and wanting to protect him whom he has wronged...

After so thoroughly enjoying and loving this series, I don‛t like where it brought me and how I feel tonight, because the weight of Haeun's sin feels heavier to me than his redemption or rebirth. I wasn't expecting the "message" to be Guernica. Still, this is a work of art we're discussing. There isn't any right or wrong assessment of it—it simply resonates differently with each of us.

You call this 'the message of Guernica?' Then, let it be... For to me, tis the message of Guernica... the message where tears bring forth more tears... destruction more destruction... and where peace can only be accomplished after much bloodshed and war...

I said this before... but really... I enjoy reading/watching SUPER-HERO stories... where the 'evil' people are punished by our hero in the end. But I never watched a Super-hero/avenger who struggled like this while giving 'due punishment'... By that standard, Ganghyuk is the most human/real superhero I ever knew. http://www.xanga.com/contentlatest.asp?use...=reviews&bflag=

Hello Everyone......

I am currently watching this drama and I don't intend to read the reviews and comments for fear of reading Spoilers... Glad that CREIDESCA started this thread.

I must thank PRISCI for recommending this drama to me.....kamsahamnida....So far I'm enjoying it ...now on episode 5. Will share my comments here once I've completed watching it. :)

Guest thesarahchong

I have a few questions regarding this drama, but I'd like it if they'd be answered without giving anythign I'm not supposed to know-- I just completed Ep 13.

A while back, the detective that helps Haeun (when finding out that "Haeun" is dead) says, "No... the Haeun I know wouldn't do such a thing as revenge".. He makes it seem as if what he is doing is wrong, using it in a derrogatory statement. But, technically, he's just trying to catch the bad guys, no? Or is there something else he's doing...

There was a mentioning of Park Sangchul or something along the lines of that... and that's what Soochul said, "Starting from now we're going to (something) Park Sangchul." In a preview for Ep 14, he is beaten and says something about that man being killed. At first I thought that was the name of the head police, but now I'm not quite sure. Who is this they are talking about?

In this episode (13), Haeun was with his detective helper; he was punching the punching bag, and then stopped, looked at the mirror-- and said something about a circle. "Where it begins, it ends there" or something like that. Does anyone know specifically what he said? Just curious.. (;

Thank you very much.

No one answered my questions so I was wondering if it was just skipped or..? (: Thanks.

Guest nchristi

I wonder who Nchristi is ~ [...] Will she be able to join in our discussion here if we continue?

Well, here I am! (Sometimes I wonder who I am, too.... :) ) I don't know what I can contribute, other than what I've already said. While interesting to read others' viewpoints, I'm still where I was on the night of the concluding episode. But, I'm still game to hear more....

Oh, there is one thing that was interpreted slightly different from my intention: the circle of hate. I did not mean that going forward the hatred is gaining life and substance. Rather, hatred was resurrected by Haeun

when he formulated, then carried out, his vengeance; a hatred whose circle expanded to suck in innocent people such as Heesu and Gangju.

While I completely understand feelings of vengeance and avenging, I think they are counterproductive. I think it is possible for mere mortals (non-Saints) to rise above such feelings. But, this is a very heavy duty subject and I feel it more often than not comes down to culture and religion—and this isn't the place for that discussion. That's why I concluded my original remarks with the idea that a script such as Resurrection resonates differently with each individual. It is probably our own truth more than anything else.

No one answered my questions so I was wondering if it was just skipped or..? (: Thanks.

I have a few questions regarding this drama, but I'd like it if they'd be answered without giving anythign I'm not supposed to know-- I just completed Ep 13.

A while back, the detective that helps Haeun (when finding out that "Haeun" is dead) says, "No... the Haeun I know wouldn't do such a thing as revenge".. He makes it seem as if what he is doing is wrong, using it in a derrogatory statement. But, technically, he's just trying to catch the bad guys, no? Or is there something else he's doing...

There was a mentioning of Park Sangchul or something along the lines of that... and that's what Soochul said, "Starting from now we're going to (something) Park Sangchul." In a preview for Ep 14, he is beaten and says something about that man being killed. At first I thought that was the name of the head police, but now I'm not quite sure. Who is this they are talking about?

In this episode (13), Haeun was with his detective helper; he was punching the punching bag, and then stopped, looked at the mirror-- and said something about a circle. "Where it begins, it ends there" or something like that. Does anyone know specifically what he said? Just curious.. (;

Thank you very much

ah .because i think it is hard to answer you without revealing too much .but i will try ~`

But, technically, he's just trying to catch the bad guys, no? Or is there something else he's doing..

yes ~~ technically he is delivering punishment overdue for those men sins but yet what mr chun is saying that the haeun he know wont do this thing as revenge meaning ploting in his own ways to trap those men .creating their ruin and making they pay back for what they had taken ...even becoming another person identity .*making* himself .dead ..

you dont use *evil* to punish *evil* .. (though i cannot reall say what Haeun did was define strictly as evil .but it was not the right way ..)

Park Sangchul

hm...i think i remember him as the man who ..was said to be the one bribing Haeun .remember how the police were after Haeun .....~~ and also i think the police were under the impression that park sangchul was the one who is involved in the *murder* of Park Sangchul ..but actually Park was framed ..~ ..he is also once the henchman of that man who was murdered in the first few esp (the man with the ring and who drove the lorry 20 years ago to run Haeun's father car off the road ) .~~ he know about all the masterminds and what really happen ..!! he is in hiding ..

i hope i am right about what man u are asking ~~ .

esp 13~~ .i dont have it with me now .~~ .so cannot help u .but i think it is his circle theory .that everything ends up where it begin .like a circle

---------------

finally KBS Global Marketing created a page for Resurrection...but using the name "Revenge"...don't think it's as accurate as Priscilla's own though

http://contents.kbs.co.kr/program/program_...0&isBroadcast=N

synopsis:

The main character of the series is portrayed by Um Tae-ung, who acts in double role. He plays twins -- Seo Ha-eun, a detective, and Yoo Shin-hyuk, the scion of a family-owned conglomerate -- who were separated due to a childhood mishap. Ha-eun first learns that he has a twin brother while investigating his father’s mysterious death. The two finally chance across each other, but their father’s murderers mistake Shin-hyuk for Ha-eun and kill him. Afterwards, Ha-eun disguises himself as Shin-hyuk to avenge his brother.

Uhm Tae-ung

Um Tae-ung portrays two characters. The first character, Seo Ha-eun, is a hot-tempered detective who lost his parents in an accident as a child and was raised by someone else. This upbeat and outgoing guy seems to be ideal in everything, but when he is with his girlfriend, Eun-ha, the love of his life, he acts like a child. The second character, Yoo Shin-hyuk, ends up being a son of a family-controlled conglomerate after his mother’s remarriage. He has a cold-headed personality and keeps his heart closed from the outside world to overcome his inferiority complex of being a stepson. He feels guilty about losing his twin brother, and always looks strong on the outside, whereas on the inside he is the weakest person on earth.

So Yi-hyun

Lee Kang-joo:

This upfront and free-spirited woman is open-minded and unbiased. She works as an intern journalist, and though she has a warm heart, she often looks arrogant in the eyes of others for her self-assertive personality and the fact that she is the daughter of a politician.

Ko Ju-won

Chung Jin-woo:

This authoritative, cold-hearted and meticulous man is the vice president of the J&C Group. He tries to look gentle and well-mannered on the outside, but deep inside he is possessed by arrogance and self-confidence.

Han Ji-min

Seo Eun-ha:

This smart, upbeat and frank woman is in love with her job. As one who had difficult childhood, she knows how to commiserate with the underprivileged.

Guest Priscilla

Ok, i made the link again.

Here it is: http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0YD95BV...L91S3WY27TMY7KB

It should work.

Thanks 'angel!' You made me revive that emotional moment again...

Creidesca, I've read the intro from KBS in their original Korean but I wasn't too happy... that's why I came out with my own!! Besides, they have SPOILERS in there, can you believe it??? (especilly the fact that Shinhyuk dies so early in the drama!)

Guest Priscilla

thanks for the lovely lovely translations, Prisci!! I feel so regunevated (I hope I spelled that right) after reading what you just posted =) :D

I just transfered the [[NEWS]] The ‘Resurrection’ Board Crashed When Uhm Tae Woong and His Fans ‘Combined.' into the UTW's thread. Here it is: http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166&st=80

Woops... It's supposed to be 'rejuvenated,' hee hee... But tell me... why feeling young all of a sudden? :P I've so many more articles I want to translate but I can't decide which one to do first! :(

Guest sarangie

my mom and i just started watching this...

and it's pretty good~ :)

i also heard that the main actor..uhm tae woong is the brother of uhm jung wha the singer...

didn't know that..^^;

well..my mom has the whole eps on tape...so it's gonna take awhile to watch it.. :)

Guest Priscilla

i'm watching it right now!! so far it look good story!! hehe

anyone know where i can find the episode guide?

I know PAGE 1 of this thread can be intimidating with too much writing, but if you have time, I suggest you read them... they're FULL of information about this drama! PAGE 2 starts off with Episode summaries, which I think it's what you're looking for?

Enjoy it!

The following were posted at the old RESURRECTION thread. These were replies that stemmed from NUKIE's original post, that mentioned that UTW was a misscast.

I had already posted this with my own belated reply at page 2, or at my xanga:

http://www.xanga.com/contentlatest.asp?use...=reviews&bflag=

(I hope it's OK to post them, the discussion was getting a little heated towards the end...)

Nukie wrote on Aug 26, 2005:

The only thing I regret about this drama is that the acting/casting wasn't great.

Starting from the cast, the lead actor, Uhm Tae Woong, was alright for the drama i guess since he is great for the role of vengence. However, his mask had its limit.. He looked very stupid whenever he cried or smiled and couldn't tell the difference between two. His acting was GREAT whenever he wasn't laughing like a moron or crying like a clown. His mask got him into roles of bad guys and i can understand why. He looks very awkward when he tries to act some emotions.

====================

Dahmi36 replied:

since Nukie brought it up..my thoughts on the casting/acting done in Resurrection..

I have to say my POV differs drastically from Nukie's...

I'd say his ACTING was great throughout the show...it was just that he didn't look PRETTY the whole time..but to me (and I believe a lot of others) it made some of those scenes the more moving..

for example, in epi 19, there's a scene where drunk, he impulsively grabs Eunha and hugs her tight, holding on for dear life..and the expression on his face??..as we all know..he definitely did not look "mushissuh"..<-is this how you say it~..

but..!

someone commented after the epi19 was aired that his distorted face in that scene really hit her hard, being exactly the same as the one on her 2year old daughter's face when she wakes up to see her mommy not there..the longing, confusion, panic, despair..

UTW is a talented, seasoned actor and I think that the "awkward" faces that he put on for haeun/kanghyuk was not because he didn't know how to make himself look good(=mushissuh^^) but because sometimes you have to make a choice between looking pretty yourself and looking convincing for the role...and he chose the latter..

all actors want to look mushissuh on screen..and I respect him for having the guts to really try and act...instead of just going around looking good..

it might have made for some "awkward" moments (I must confess to going around muttering sometimes..why does he have to go overboard? ) but it's also why his performance in Resurrection is described "perfect" by many people, the critics included..

I think Uhm Tae woong being the lead might have made the drama very unattractive/unpopular to the mainstream when u got Hyun Bin as the counterpart in "My name is Kim sam soon"

hmm..interesting...because I myself feel no attraction whatsoever to Hyunbin..

Kimsamsoon as a drama was great..very witty, funny, and oddly insightful at some moments, but Hyunbin as an actor really doesn't impress me..

one thing I do respect him for is he seems to have an eye for picking out the really good productions..his previous drama, Ireland, was very nice as was KSS..

by the way, I think UTW is loads more attractive than Hyunbin in terms of looks too..

and So Yi Hyun, the actoress as reporter( NOT HAN JI EUN ) in the drama provided some of the worst, most awkward acting i ever seen on TV... she shouldn't be on drama anymore...

Soyihyun and Kohjuwon were the despair of all the viewers in the beginning of the show..but I think SYH was really trying and made a drastic improvement as the show went on..IMO she quite good in the end..hope to see her go on to bigger and better roles..

==================

slforlbh wrote on Aug 26 2005, 2005:

I have to agree with dahmi36. I thought UTW's acting was superb. Although there were times when he may have gone slightly overboard with some of his expressions, it did not seem too much because we know that Ha-Eun is a very passionate person and he would have felt all those emotions deeply and expressed it deeply. UTW's expressions also makes the audience really identify and emphatize with the character. I can't imagine anyone else in Ha-Eun role. I think UTW was very successful in portraying two drastically different people. Ha-eun is passionate, kind of happy-go-lucky, and expressive. Shin Hyuk is reserved, introverted, etc. As I've stated before, he did not act with just the dialogue that's given to him but even with his body language.

As fo So Yi Hyun, she's not the best of actresses (there aren't that many out there. Actually, there may be but a lot of roles for actresses don't require much acting but that's another topic) but this role was definitely refreshing. I immensely disliked her because she's always played such bad girl roles so it's refreshing to see her in this role. In the beginning I couldn't get use to it but now I feel like it's a good role for her.

I read that Ko Ju Won will be starring in a daily drama. I'm surprised that he's given a leading role. go figure!

===========================

'Nukie' replied on Aug 26 2005, 2005:

I understand what u are saying and yes u got a point there.

However, I was talking from a different POV. I was saying about the "unattractiveness" of UTW "marketting wise" from the pov of the mainstream and how most ppl would find UTW to be alot less attractive compared to HB.

Of course, as a fan of this drama, If i were to pick between two for the role of the lead i would have chosen UTW hands down as well since he fits better. but marketing wise, most viewers would find HB to be more likable because he may look more handsome to the mass.( not in this plot but as an actor because of his mask.. Personally i think hes ugly.. but thats my opinion..) Just like how Ko Ju Won got a lead in upcoming drama.. KJW may have shown worst acting ever but he still managed to get that because his mask may be attractive/likable to the mainstream IMO.

Another thing is that the mainstream opted not to watch the drama in the first place because of genre/story and star power of KSS.

*HB > UTW, KSA> HJE. Romance comedy > Vengence

HB came to stardom because of his appearance in "Ireland". I dont know if u watched that but his acting didn't require much acting per se.. his mask and the role got real popular to the mainstream. not because of his acting.

Of course if we were to talk about it in terms of "acting" and purely "acting" alone, UTW might have the edge since hes more seasoned and all. and yes UTW did try to act harder than HB had to.

people may have diff take on it but HB is definitly more likable to the mass regardless of their acting skillz. and that in part little bit to do with why the drama stunk so bad in the ratings (in ONE DIGIT).

I stand by the point that UTW's acting wasn't smooth enough though. he was a good fit but his mask wasn't able to carry him to the next step to be popular enough. There is difference between trying real hard to act and looking slightly offensive..

and because his mask, u wont see UTW in another drama AS THE LEAD/or hero for long.. maybe another one i dunno cuz he proved he can act. but definlty not what i would call a mass favourite.

====================

'dahmi36' post-replied on 'Aug 26 2005, 2005:

it's not my wish to get into a heavy debate on who's the better looking or who's the better actor but just a couple of points..

a comparison with Choiminshik..well, I'm sure it's a tremendous honor for UTW but not really fair, is it?..considering the gap between the amount of experience

behind them..

UTW's acting is not up there with the best of them...yet...but I have a feeling he's an actor who's going to try like hell to get there..I highly appreciate that too~ :lol:

=================

'dahmi36' continued on Aug 26, 2005:

let me mention somthing interesting about the ratings for Resurrection..

did you know that the VOD(video-on-demand) services are FREE for KBS dramas(Resurrection)?

and did you know that in terms of VOD services, Resurrection was at the top of the list all along?...as a matter of fact, the numbers were 500,000 views for resurrection and 300,000 for KSS i think on the night of KSS's final episode..(500,000views by the way gave resurrection the NO 2 spot out of ALL KBS program until that time..)

my guess is that many, many people watched the KSS on TV and waited for the VOD services to come up to enjoy Resurrection..that way they can enjoy both shows..

too bad how it had such an effect on the ratings for Resurrection..

BUT!..did you know~..

there have been quite a few news articles pointing out the very fact..the difference between tv ratings and the actual number of viewers watching the shows..using the case of Resurrection and KSS as example..and saying that the TNS and Nielson tv ratings used in Korea is no longer an accurate way in some cases(as in the case for Resurrection) to see how well the drama is being recieved by the audience..

another of what the drama Resurrection left behind :lol:

=================

'Nukie' replied again on Aug 26, 2005:

okay rofl.. u seem to exaggerate points to ur liking :P.

I never said Hyun Bin is the complete reason for the success.

but Hyun Bin since "ireland" definitly had much popularity compared to UTW which u can't deny.

it was a comparison on how UTW as the lead was not great of a lead to begin with popularity wise/marketting wise.

The reason behind "Resurrection"'s late surge is not because of its awesomeness. it was awesome from the start.. the plot lost some momentum at 16 epi(at some point but that's understandable because it was originally 16 episodes like normal but they increased it to 24).. but even then from the start the drama was great that it had mania from the get go. The reason was "LULU" sucked so bad. "LULU" even had the union of caddies send em a letter saying they shouldn't diss cadies.. if it was "lovers in paris" (which i didn't watch but heard was real popular) probalby different story. "LULU" was viewed as complete garbage to alot of people. but its rating held on to gain average 18~22% rating vs "ressurection" which gained 2 digit rating for the first time.

so despite the criticism "LULU" held off as the first for sometime but eventually lost em when "RESSURECTION" was reaching its climax. Hence granting "RESSURECTION" the lead at the very LAST MINUTE.

sure, i dont trust all those researches all that much but u cant deny that KSS was that great. it was the light romance comedy for the mass. and light comedies do have better appeals to the mainstream.

also, even though there might not be perfect accuracy.. most ratings do reflect the taste of the mass and they happen to be correct on most occations.

I mentioned Choiminsik not because UTW is on the same calibre but CMS is the definition of great actor who draws crowd because of acting not because of mask.

UTW is nowhere near him and NOT even in the same line.

Choiminsik has top quality acting.

HB,WB,bae yong joon who rely heavily on image and mask have appealing masks.

UTW has NONE of those.

Even though his acting is somewhat mature, his mask has serious flaw and limitation to be likable enough or appealing enough imo. Also his acting isn't quite up there either. He can act bad guys and dark side but hes very awkward on various emotions.

Sure, hes bombarded with offers... "NOW".. because despite his flawed mask and facial expresions and other 2 dimentional characters (his cop partner, the reporter, and some other) the show is regarded as possibly the best ever.. why? because the drama's story.. the plot was just way too good for a drama.

How can u deny actors, actresses from a show that's so highly regarded?

=================

'creidesca' intervened on Aug 26, 2005:

from nchristi over at the CJK forum after reading the posts from nukie and replies made to nukie:

"I don‛t know if Korean women‛s taste in male looks is different from mine, but I must admit the first time I saw Uhm Tae-woong in a drama (a "villain," of course), I thought he was incredibly attractive. Regardless of the other male actors he has played against, my focus is always on him. I used to wonder why they kept him locked in those roles as the "heavy."

Now that I‛ve seen him in Resurrection, I am delighted that he finally had a vehicle in which to display his wide range in acting. He is definitely male lead material, both in looks and in his acting abilities. I haven‛t seen any rough edges, or scenes that were anything but excellent, as far as it depended on his acting, that is.

Sometimes I am quite amazed at how he has created these two entirely different characters and both are completely realistic. Shinhyeok is his usual role (rather effortless), but Haeun is a much more expressive character, requiring a wide range of emotions. Come to think of it, he really is portraying three characters: Shinhyeok, Haeun, and Haeun playing Shinhyeok.

UTW comes through with just the right amount of emotion for each character exceedingly well, in my opinion. He‛s a breath of fresh air on the acting scene, because he can do it all! I never would have guessed all that was boiling beneath the surface of those flat, villain-type roles he was stuck in. But he's flying now and I, for one, am hoping to see him in more diverse roles, where he can continue to stretch his wings.

=================

'dahmi36' fired back on Aug 27, 2005:

...you're saying some things which are completely unaccurate to my knowledge to get your point across...

for example...

"the huge mainstream popularity that you can't deny that Hyunbin enjoyed from Ireland"..

to my knowledge, the drama Ireland never got higher than a 12~13% rating..it also enjoyed a few episode with single digit ratings too just the same as Resurrection..

but Resurrection held steady at 9% until KSS(50%) was over, and right after that from epi17, it jumped to more than 17%, going steadily up to the final 23%~..

now which would be more "mainstream" as you call it?..

let's not go on just for argument's sake ok?..it's quite pointless.

hey..don't get me wrong..I understand where you're coming from when you talk about some of his scenes being "offensive"..and possibility of the show being more popular with a prettier face or some other talented actor...

but what you don't seem to appreciate is DESPITE the shortcomings, the overall quality of the acting he has shown was superb~..and it was UTW and UTW alone who made the role of Haeun/Knghyuk come alive..

if he had concentrated on looking good(which would have prevented him as being called a less-than-satisfying casting by you), it would have prevented him from making some unbelievably impressive scenes come alive and from being claimed as THE new talent to look for in the future.."in the footsteps of Seolkyunggoo and Songkhangho"..and I'm sure Choiminshik^^ even though the critic forgot to put his name in there specifically..

I'm sorry but I only skipped over your posting this time because you and I are obviously coming from different directions...

I don't see the point of any more discussions on how we view UTW as an actor...it's certainly not matter of life or death...

we have our differences in how we see things and I feel it would better if we leave it at that...or this is going to go on and on...besides the fact it's getting a bit tedious, creidesca and the other readers probably won't appreciate it...

pardon me if I have misinterpreted some of what you are saying..but I'm going to leave it at that...

by the way..the mention on the VOD was not directed towards you, even though you seem to think so, but because I thought the people on this thread would be interested and pleased to know aout it...as would be my wish on any more information on Resurrection and UTW I might write on in the future... :)

=================

'slforlbh' jumped in on Aug 31, 2005:

I also noticed that KJW's acting did get worse with each episode. I do feel sorry for the guy. There are plenty of popular actors who are not great actors so I'm sure if KJW get his break, he can become popular too. In a drama like Resurrection, you need more acting skills than looking pretty. Also, I agree that when even the actors in the smallest part have shown such great acting, it does shed more light on what KJW's acting ability.

UTW as Jungjinwoo? I wonder who would have played Ha-Eun then? I think UTW has a lot of charisma and whatever role he play he would have attracted attention. It would have been a much interesting love triangle for sure. I'm tired of love triangles so I'm glad UTW was Ha-Eun and his relationship with Eun-Ha was not muddled by a third person.

I finished the last episodes last night. Although I'm not completely satisfied with then ending at least he didn't die I loved how Kang In Chul was completely taken down. I felt so bad for Hee-Soo. I can see how he may have felt used and betrayed but stabbing Ha-Eun is a little unbelieveable. I guess that fact that Ha-Eun used Hee-Soo in this way is a testament of how much Ha-Eun has changed from his compassionate, fun-loving person he used to be for the purpose of revernge. Also, that explain his sense of loss of identity and a desire to "find himself again." That also explains why he may have just disappeared for a while. Ultimately, Resurrection is a story about revenge but also about identity. Ha-Eun did not know who he was and when he found out who he was he could no longer be himself and needed to be someone else and now he need to come back and really define himself. He can't really go back to being the Ha-Eun he was who didn't know his past and his parents.

I felt so bad for the mother, to know that she has lived with her enemy and had his daughter for the last 20 years.

Guest r3bells

can anyone upload the ng for the kissing scenes for me using ysi??

please help me...

i really wanna watch it!!

sorry if i'm asking too much!!! :lol:

Archived