[drama 2005] Resurrection/ Rebirth 부활

creidesca

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dahee Fanel

Prisci asked me to post my "Resurrection" review that I wrote at Hotelier2002 here. So, er, here it is. Happy reading.

Yes, I've also finished this drama. In fact, I finished it last Thursday, but after watching, I was too overwhelmed to write down my thoughts properly, and I even lay in bed for hours afterward, my brain buzzing with all the information and emotions that swarmed through the final episode.

You were right, Prisci. This drama has affected me, 100%, AFTER the fact. It's really strange - I even went on a (very) short SJS hiatus, and my mind was filled with nothing but this drama, and, of course, UTW.

Now, I'm calmer, and a little more rational. Still, I don't know if I could write the kind of review that I'd like to - my emotions are still choking me, and besides, there's so many different things to consider when writing my review, that I just feel...at a loss.

Thus, I've decided to concentrate simply on my feelings, and try to voice them. Wish me luck?

WARNING: HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!

First of all, a couple of technical things I noticed - this drama had a lot of revolving, wide-sweeping camera shots, which I found to be intensely fascinating. It made the characters look so small and insignificant, compared to everything that surrounded them. This kind of shot was especially used a lot when Kang-hyuk was standing on the roof of the office building. I believe that my initial interpretation of these scenes was correct - he was involved in something grander than himself, but at the same time, he embodied that hugeness, that, shall I say, greatness? I think that was a big source of his deep pain - the hindrances, the difficulties, the emotional wreckage that accompanied the burden of holding that "hugeness" within his frail human body. I don't really know what else to call it, other than "hugeness", or "burden". Really, words fail me in this particular respect of this drama.

Now, before I jump in head-first, let me quickly add another thing I noticed and actually took note of in episodes ninteen/twenty:

-Kang-hyuk sent Kang-ju's dad white flowers (were they lilies?). At the time, I thought to myself, "Hey, white lilies are supposed to be put on the graves of dead loved ones, aren't they? Is he sending him a message of death?" Now, looking back, I see this as some very big foreshadowing of his eventual suicide.

-Confession: I literally drooled over UTW's shirt/shower scenes. ^^;; He has a VERY nice back, doesn't he? Love the way he puts on his shirts, hehe.

-When that police officer who'd been in a coma due to being stabbed (I'm sorry, I don't remember his name...) went to that nunnery to hide with his wife, and Kang-hyuk visited him...Wow...I almost cried. (Interestingly enough, although the ending really affected me, I never cried, not once, during this drama.) When he figured out the truth, and told Kang-hyuk he must've had it hard...Wow. I found myself thinking, with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes: "Yes, he indeed had it very hard."

And then in episode twenty, in continuing that scene, he added, "You've lost your smile." I think that may just be one of my all-time favourite quotes from a drama. It really, really touched me - it just felt so REAL. (Wow, I'm really "falling" for this writer!)

Now, regarding the final episode...

There was so much going on, that I felt sort of dizzy watching it, but very excited, too. I was literally hopping up and down in my seat. ^^;; Some criticisms:

-I thought Kang-hyuk's mom underacted a bit when she found out the truth about her husband - although she was so excellent in the other scenes, and she really touched me. I thought she could have shown more grief, more fury. (Oh, but the poor sister!)

-I wished Eun-ha's dad had a bigger part in the last episode. I would have loved to see his reaction in finding out Kang-hyuk was actually alive.

-I wanted that Choi guy (the gangster who killed Shin-hyuk) to die...*sulk* Hehe, maybe I'm just bloodthirsty. But seeing him in the warehouse tied up like that, it gave me chills, and I was looking forward to a really well-done, gruesome death scene...Oh well. *sigh* :roll:

-I wished we could've seen Kang-hyuk interact with his fellow police officers one last time...I would've liked more closure on what happened to them afterwards, especially his best friend.

-I felt really regretful regarding Eun-ha's character. She could have been so interesting, but she went into a steady decline of being the typical "stand by your man", "perfect" character. And her introduction was so great, too - I loved the way she hit that guy who sexually harrassed her. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her, but alas, Han Ji Min's talents were not fully explored. I thought she did an excellent job with what she had, though - and her "eyelight" really reminded me of Im Soo Jung, for some reason.

-The guy who played the guy who "loved" Eun-ha (Kang-hyuk's "rival") had like, NO role in the end. Wasn't he supposed to be a big character? I kept waiting for something to develop between him and Eun-ha, thinking it would make Eun-ha's character more interesting, but it never happened...Oh, well. He's not a good actor, anyway. :P

-I found Kang-ju's role to be very anti-climactic. She spent the entire series discovering all this, and in the end, did nothing but cry. I really loved the vibe this actress brought to her role - she was good at making her likeable. But I found that she didn't properly show the character's "layers". Still, I liked when she cried in her car after her dad died. (I wish we'd been shown Kang-ju finding out that Shin-hyuk had died, not Kang-hyuk. I wonder whom she REALLY loved? I somehow got the feeling that she was in love with Shin-hyuk before he died...That she just didn't realize it. I'm not sure, really.)

Some praise:

-This isn't the last episode, but...I LOVED LOVED LOVED when he stroked Eun-ha's nose again! I hadn't realized how much I'd missed that, but I really had! I was whooping for joy there! (And thinking with exclamation marks!) I LOVED his helplessness with her. "I told you I'm Shin-hyuk!" *squish* Now that's true love. And she was so sweet...the way she told him she wouldn't ask hiim why he was pretending to be Shin-hyuk...I really love this character. And I LOVED their "date" - the way they drank together was so CUTE! I wanted to pinch their cheeks, hehe. Oh, and the second kiss was DIVINE. (Okay, I need to calm down now...)

-The suicides were done SO WELL. I had chills running down my spine as I watched those scenes. Indeed, "final retribution". I also liked the way Kang-hyuk didn't revel in their deaths - I felt that was more realistic. In fact, I actually sort of felt sorry for these characters at these scenes...

-The "popcorn" guy really reminded me of Brad Pitt's character in "Ocean's Twelve". They both ate constantly, and I remember reading this interview where this acting coach said that characters like conmen are often showed to be stuffing themselves constantly. At any rate, I loved this character.

-I also loved "Shin-hyuk's" secretary. Usually, the secretaries are shown to be loyal dogs with no personalities, but I found this guy to be very endearing and interesting. He had a couple of really great lines. I also liked the contrast between him and the other two secretaries who betrayed their "bad" bosses.

-I loved the camera angle when Kang-hyuk revealed to those two company heads that he was really Kang-hyuk, not Shin-hyuk - it looked down on them, so they seemed smaller in comparison to him, more "little". How telling.

-Now, the biggest thing (at least, for me) - the stabbing. When Kang-hyuk pulled himself over to the tree, I initially thought he was going to do first-aid on himself. Then...HE WIPED THE KNIFE, taking away all traces of fingerprints on it...protecting Hee-soo from the law...

When I saw this, my heart literally stung. I was so overwhelmed that I just sat there with my mouth wide open, my chest feeling like it was burning with pain. I was blown over by his goodness, and his ability to forgive - HE PROTECTED THE MAN WHO TRIED TO KILL HIM. That just boggled my mind. He was SUCH a wonderful guy! My heart ached for him in that moment, enough to match my ache for Moo-hyuk in MiSa, enough to make up for my apathy during the rest of the series. I fell completely IN LOVE with him. Yes, I think it was that simple act of goodness that touched me more than anything else, more than any act of revenge that he undertook. I am IN LOVE with Kang-hyuk.

The only other scenes in this drama that came close to that scene for me, in emotional terms, were the scene where he saw the "ghost" of Shin-hyuk by the grave, telling him it was good that he'd died instead, and when his mom and sister went on the plane, and the mom's narration said "My pain is nothing compared to yours." Yes, rather than his "revenge" side, which, although cool and fascinating, never really made me "fall in love" (although I came pretty darn close - was I "dazzled" by him?), I loved his kind and gentle side.

I found the last scene with Hee-soo and the popcorn guy to be vastly interesting (although I must admit my mind was screaming "Is he alive or not?? Tell us already!"). He, too, forgave Kang-hyuk, and was in jail for him...I'd always liked this character, and I was very touched when he said "Tell him thanks for being alive." He too, possessed a great ability to forgive. I found that to be so wonderful and inspiring.

As for the ending...

I thought the view of Eun-ha by the lighthouses to be so beautiful. And her narration was so touching and heartfelt. "I know he's coming here, on a hard road." I loved her hope and belief in him. And her words rang with truth.

And then...we saw Kang-hyuk's back view, literally walking on the road, just like Eun-ha had said...We'd seen his back view so many times during this drama, like with Moo-hyuk in MiSa - it definitely gave a sense of loneliness and longing. And...aloneness. And, like always, he stopped and looked back at us, straight into the camera. But not just at the camera. He was looking back on the past, on what he's done before, on how far he's come since then. Then he turns to the front again, and the camera zooms in on his face. He's looking forward with sad yet hopeful eyes. He's decided to move forward, to let the past go, to continue walking on that difficult path towards Eun-ha, and towards so much more - towards his own redemption.

The final quote at the bottom of the screen was so, so true: "The end will soon become the beginning". It truly reflects everything that this drama stood for, and for what Kang-hyuk is walking towards. I just went to myself, "Wow."

Now, I don't really know how to sum this up...I feel like I wrote much too much already, without even truly expressing how I really felt while watching this. Even now, my emotions are a tempest within me whenever I think of this drama, especially that knife-wiping scene. My heart hurts to think of it.

Well, I guess I can conclude by saying that this is a truly wonderful drama, and that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I plan to rewatch it when I gather up my emotions properly, and to pay closer attention to its hidden clues and meanings. I also want to watch it while being completely immersed in the characters' emotions and difficulties. I feel bad that I didn't cry once while watching this. I simply can't understand that. Perhaps it's because this drama is more mind-oriented...? Well, in any case, I don't think I'll ever forget this, and let me just say that UTW has pushed a place into my "closet" of favourite actors. :P I can't wait to see him in another drama!

Er...The End?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thesarahchong

This thread is going to be resurrected, because I have many many questions.

The more pieces are being revealed, the more I am seeming to lose my attention span-- constantly being told to watch my sister, so it's really hard to concentrate.

I'm somewhere near Episode... 18, I would guess.

And I have some questions...

SO BEWARE: SPOILERS AHEAD!

- I happened to miss what Park Sangchul said to both Choi Dongchan and Haeun. Something about phoning... and Lim Daeshik's death. So I vaguely remember a scene in the first episode showing someone talking on the phone... but I don't remember what the purpose was for it.

- So... Heesoo (is that his name? The conman guy) is Min Sooyeon's son, while he thinks he is her nephew. And she's the one that had a scandal with... Kangju's father? So... they're... half-siblings?

Well I think that's it for now. Which is surprising because I thought I had much more questions than that. So if anyone could answer them (without giving too much away), I'd greatly appreciate it (:

Guest Priscilla

- I happened to miss what Park Sangchul said to both Choi Dongchan and Haeun. Something about phoning... and Lim Daeshik's death. So I vaguely remember a scene in the first episode showing someone talking on the phone... but I don't remember what the purpose was for it.

Lim Daeshik (now a devout Catholic whose wife and son died somewhat recently) carried the guilt of killing officer Yoo Gunha and his son for many years, but when he accidentally sees Ganghyuk inside a train, he realizes the boy didn't die (he must have seen Shinhyuk before). So he calls the police station asking for officer Suh Haeun: He wanted to confess. Actually, I think he called twice? But Suh Haeun wasn't around...

Park Sangchul was Lim Daeshik's right hand... and Lim Daeshik told Park Sangchul that there was 'someone else' who actually ordered the murder of the police officer... To Choi Dongchan, he's saying something like: "watch out cuz I know everything!" and to Haeun he tells him "it must be your step-father cuz I called him up and rather than denying it, he wanted to trade secrets with me..."

- So... Heesoo (is that his name? The conman guy) is Min Sooyeon's son, while he thinks he is her nephew. And she's the one that had a scandal with... Kangju's father? So... they're... half-siblings?

Yes, Heesoo is Gangjoo's half-brother, son of Congressman Lee Tae Joon. The popcorn man found this out so Ganghyuk bailed him out of jail to 'use' him so that he'll hit his own father. This is the reason Mr. Chun (popcorn man) and Ganghyuk felt guilty everytime Heesoo treated them as older brothers... More towards the end, Ganghyuk cared more for Heesoo than his own revenge plot... but it was too late, for the damage was already done.

Guest nycx1004

Hi everyone!! I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for putting up the info on this thread! I have just about finished watching eps. 14 and i'm dying to rent the rest later, but just to give me a quick "fix" in this drama, this thread really helped, by the postings of spoilers, ng clips, interview clips, n just about everything!! Thanks Everyone!! I really wish that ppl would go and watch this drama, the acting is great, and the storyline just pulls you in~ One of the greatest~ i am def. buying this one!! :)

o yea!~

i didn't knoe that uhm tae woong's sister is uhm jung hwa!! wow!~ talent run's in the family!~

Hi, I haven't watched the drama but found this to share. Hope it doesn't reveal too much but the review sounds really good. Enjoy!

November 04, 2005

[KOREAN TV DRAMA REVIEWS] 부활 (Rebirth)

rollthedice.jpg

부활

Rebirth (a.k.a. Resurrection) - KBS TV 2005

(Buhwal - lit. Rebirth/Resurrection)

24 Episodes - 60 Minutes p.e.

Official Website

DVD - Korean Version

PD: 박찬홍 (Park Chan-Hong) & 전창근 (Jeon Chang-Geun)

WRITER: 김지우 (Kim Ji-Woo)

CAST: 엄태웅 (Eom Tae-Woong) as Yoo Shin-Hyeok/Seo Ha-Eun, 한지민 (Han Ji-Min) as Seo Eun-Ha, 소이현 (So Yi-Hyun) as Lee Kang-Joo, 강신일 (Kang Shin-Il) as Seo Jae-Soo, 김갑수 (Kim Gab-Soo) as Lee Tae-Joo, 고주원 (Go Ju-Won) as Jung Jin-Woo, 김규철 (Kim Gyu-Cheol) as Choi Dong-Chan, 안내상 (Ahn Nae-Sang) as Yoo Geon-Ha, 이대연 (Lee Dae-Yeon) as Gyung Gi-Do, 이정길 (Lee Jung-Gil) as Kang In-Cheol, 선우은숙 (Seonwoo Eun-Sook) as Kim Yi-Hwa, 기주봉 (Gi Ju-Bong) as Jung Sang-Guk, 유혜정 (Yoo Hye-Jung) as Yoon Mi-Jung), 고명환 (Go Myung-Hwan) as Kim Soo-Cheol, 최용민 (Choi Yong-Min) as Heo Deok-Woo, 이연희 (Lee Yeon-Hee) as Kang Shin-Young, 김기복 (Kim Gi-Bok), 조재완 (Jo Jae-Wan), 최원석 (Choi Won-Seok), 정호빈 (Jung Ho-Bin), 이한위 (Lee Han-Wi)

Next Week: 별은 내 가슴에 (Wish Upon a Star/Star in My Heart) (MBC TV - 1997)

THE SHOW

Doppelganger, split personalities, one of the most popular subjects in both literature and cinema. From Oscar Wilde to Guy De Maupassant; from Kurosawa Kiyoshi [ドッペルゲンガ- (Doppelganger)] to Choi Dong-Hoon [범죄의 재구성 (The Big Swindle)]. But when it comes Korean TV Dramas and even certain films, in recent years the basic structure of the Doppelganger has become a sort of escapade to prove something. Need an image transformation, something to prove your acting has matured? Here's your nice 1인2역 (One Person, Two Roles). Of course, that's mostly been used in the laziest possible way: the 'evil twin' syndrome. One of them is rich and arrogant, the other poor, nice, and probably doesn't even know he has a twin.

Creating two black and white characters instead of one doesn't make any difference. Better yet, it makes things even worse, like Jung Joon-Ho's tentative to use the Doppelganger theme for his latest comedy 역전에 명수 (The Twins). And of course, few films really take into account all the defining traits of the real Doppelganger syndrome, when dealing with their characters' emotional state. But what if that situation is not a simple psychological condition, but something reality forces on you? The basic idea of the Doppelganger syndrome and its psychological consequences is at the foundation of 부활 (Rebirth), one of the biggest surprises of recent years on Korean TV.

The setup is simple enough: Yoo Shin-Hyeok (Eom Tae-Woong) is Vice-President of a successful company led by his stepfather Kang In-Cheol (Lee Jung-Gil). He's a very opportunistic young man, even going as far as setting up a fake marriage with his friend Kang-Joo (So Yi-Hyun). Why? Because that will create good opportunities between their two families. He's not really arrogant, just indifferent to anything - including other people's feelings - not involving money or power. On the other hand of the spectrum we have Seo Ha-Eun (Eom Tae-Woong again). He was just 7 when he lost his father in a car accident. Growing up with his mentor Jae-Soo (an impressive Kang Shin-Il), Ha-Eun became an easy-going person and especially a capable detective, able to differentiate between petty crimes which can be forgiven and bigger fish to fry, which is what people like him should focus on. He certainly doesn't have a very straightforward modus operandi in dealing with suspects, but his instinct and unpredictability always ends up helping him at work. Although he grew up along with Eun-Ha (Han Ji-Min) for most of his life, and she's become like an acquired sister, the two know there's something more than that growing inside them.

Ohhh... sounds nothing special, right? Well, with a few exceptions, that was my reaction regarding the first two-three episodes of the show. Here's another trendy Drama dealing with the 'evil Twin' syndrome, with cardboard cutouts acting up their peculiarities until they finally meet and it's all out war. That's what I thought. Although the supporting cast looked good on paper - with greats like Kim Gab-Soo, Lee Dae-Yeon, Kang Shin-Il, Gi Ju-Bong and Lee Jung-Gil - the main four leads didn't promise too much. Eom Tae-Woong showed good acting range in poor TV Dramas like 구미호 외전 (Forbidden Love) and 쾌걸 춘향 (Sassy Girl Chunhyang), and even left a lasting impression in small roles on the big screen, like in 공공의 적 2 (Another Public Enemy). But let's be honest: until this TV Drama, he was just Eom Jung-Hwa's little brother.

Although I'm sure I saw her before in smaller roles, the first time I really became aware of Han Ji-Min was when she played 'little Song Hye-Gyo' in 올인 (All In). She looked like a doll, so innocent and beautiful. And, sure enough, she repeated the same roles over and over again: in the underrated Police TV Drama 좋은 사람 (Good People), and to a lesser extent even in 대장금 (Dae Jang Geum: Jewel in The Palace). The other two, Go Ju-Won and So Yi-Hyun, were just pretty faces acting here and there, without ever leaving a mark.

So what happened, then? I'd love to spoil it, and it wouldn't be even that much of a spoiler, since it happens after a few episodes. But I'll let you enjoy it. A major plot development changes the cards in a way I - someone who should be used to things like this, after years and years of watching Korean TV Dramas - never expected. No, Yoo Shin-Hyeok and Seo Ha-Eun don't meet each other and start bitching, it's actually the opposite. At the end of their first and last meeting, only one of them remains. And this is where the brilliant script of this show begins to shine. It's no 'evil twins', it's not even a Doppelganger. It's two people inside one. The third choice, so to speak. To find the culprit of such plot development, Shin-Hyeok and Ha-Eun become one person, but then something incredible happens.

The script doesn't just let the personality of the two clash and wake up people around them that something is fishy. This is no mere 'Oh! This guy didn't use to act like this... he must be an impostor!' like in most Doppelganger films or TV Dramas. No, the fact the two personalities become one creates an entirely new person, who has to live with the pain of both people, with the realization that even if he finds the culprit, there's no way for him to return to the past. And, even better, that he's starting to embed some of the personality traits of the 'twin' he's impersonating. And that in itself is changing him, making him like a powerful warrior who knows he's going to die one way or another.

Words won't do justice. When you'll see Eom Tae-Woong punching the steering wheel of his car, not even able to cry because of the pent up anger inside him, you'll understand. There's moments of amazing intensity on this show, the kind you never find in TV Dramas of this type, because they're simply too interested in creating an entertaining show for their viewership. The questions that arise, the way the writers took care of developing characters around their relationships instead of lame cliffhanger bait shows the kind of love for storytelling that seemed to be lost in today's 'Korean Wave' Dramas.

It even shows some pathological reactions to the Doppelganger Syndrome, namely the Capgras Syndrome - a.k.a. delusional misidentification, a pathology which makes the subject suffer a kind of paranoia, thinking a close relative or friend has been replaced by an impostor. And that's just the beginning. There's also a multitude of sub-plots, including all the corruption and murders committed by the people who put Eom Tae-Woong's characters in this situation, a really nice - and mature - portrait of father-daughter relationships gone wrong, the idea of adopting people not related to you (still a touchy subject in Korea). And the characters are so well written, they seem like people coming out of a great giallo novel.

Take for example how the story builds up a formidable villain for almost the entire show, then pulls the rug from under your feet at the last moment. No, it's not a 'Sixth Sense'-like swerve, all the hints had been planted from the first episode. But the exciting pace, the tremendous performances of the cast and the great writing let you fall into the storyline so much you could have missed them. Praising the performance of the real villain and the fake one would be the biggest spoiler, so I won't name names. Let's just say one of them perfectly hides his identity even though you can feel something strange is going around him, while the other acts like a baddie from a Disney cartoon, but then shows his humanity and weakness when it counts. Brilliant, just brilliant.

But the real star of the show is Eom Tae-Woong. He doesn't just follow the usual path of Doppelganger characters, playing a good and a bad one. He shows both sides of the coin in all characters, and when they unite it's really his moment to shine. He said in a recent interview that his characters in this Drama reflect a lot of bad experiences he's made in his life, a lot of bad people he met, a lot of demons he had to combat. And it's the kind of performance you'd expect from Song Kang-Ho or Choi Min-Shik, not from a young actor who just shot a few TV Dramas and films. The last time I was so excited by a young talent's performance was in 2002, specifically Yang Dong-Geun in 네 멋대로 해라 (Ruler of Your Own World). And there's more surprises: So Yi-Hyun gives a surprisingly mature and multi-faceted performance, particularly poignant when she discovers even 'daddy' can be a corrupt man. And there's really no need to praise people like Kang Shin-Il, Kim Gab-Soo and Gi Ju-Bong. Hats off to another great effort, which sadly often ends up becoming forgotten.

'Rebirth' had the arduous task of competing with a little Drama called 내 이름은 김삼순 (My Lovely Sam-Soon), and the ratings suffered as a result. The show went down as much as 7% ratings, while Kim Seon-Ah's hilarious turn in the hit Drama was hitting the high 40s. People actually asked KBS to re-run the show during the Weekend (nothing out of the ordinary, but usually it's the Wed-Thu Drama being repeated), so they could watch both Sam-Soon and follow this story. And, go figure, the moment 'My Lovely Sam-Soon' ended, 'Rebirth' shot up to 20%, enjoying the same kind of rebirth its characters face. It has become a 'Mania Drama', those shows with a tremendous following online, that somehow end up struggling in the ratings, for whatever reason.

But this show needs to be seen, even if you've never seen a Korean TV Drama. Its script is almost flawless, the characters interesting, multifaceted and true to life. The 'love triangle' shenanigans are really only an afterthought, just there to pretend this is a Trendy Drama, and when there is a touch of melodrama it always feel sincere. Why? Because such emotional intensity is brought up in an amazing crescendo that when it explodes, it's like a Scud Missile. And I'm not talking about easy, formulaic 'Korean Drama' histrionics. Trust me, you'll feel it as well watching the show.

Those who've read my film reviews might beg to differ, but I actually don't like hyperbole. Will you allow me to use it this time? It's deserved. I'm going to pull out the dreaded 'M' word. M for 'maybe the best Korean TV Drama in the last 3 years'; M for 'maybe the TV Drama which will open you to the fact it's not all about lame love triangles and pretty faces acting like fools'. And, definitely, M for masterpiece.

THE DVD

Bitwin plans to release the DVD around the end of November. No word yet if it will have English Subtitles or not, but looking at their other release of KBS Dramas, it's very likely (MBC Dramas would be another story). As for US Versions, YesAsia Entertainment seems to accept the idea of producing DVDs if the demand is high enough. I remember a thread on the Soompi Forums dealing with YesAsia Entertainment's future releases, and them often asking Tom Larsen (president?) for future shows. I don't know if they'll eventually release this show, but it's worth it. So if you're interested in seeing this with subs (in case the Bitwin one ends up without subs), they're probably your best option: shoot them an e-mail here.

I can't stress this enough, this is a must see. And that's if you're a fan of Korean Dramas or not.

Credits:

» Posted by X at November 4, 2005 07:42 PM

@ http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004046.html

Guest Priscilla

November 04, 2005

[KOREAN TV DRAMA REVIEWS] 부활 (Rebirth)

I can't stress this enough, this is a must see. And that's if you're a fan of Korean Dramas or not.

Credits:

» Posted by X at November 4, 2005 07:42 PM

@ http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004046.html

Hi rubie! What a... fascinating... fascinating review that was! THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH for posting this! I was holding unto my sitbelts while reading this! ~couldn't get enough of it!

BTW, I was reading the Resurrection Gallery where these Panics write... wow! Soooooo many good writings I can't catch up with them! The discussion was as follows:

1. People were complaining that the second lead was too 'weak.' That if someone else played that character of Jung Jinwoo, the story could have been even more interesting.

2. Someone else explained UTW was originally playing the second lead and Park Yongwoo was asked to be the main character, but that Park Yongwoo couldn't fit into his schedule, for which he regreted a lot! So UTW was asked to be the main lead instead.

3. Then others were wondering, saying that the combination of Park Yongwoo vs. UTW would have been explosive! They wondered WHO they'd be rooting for then! 8) (Of course, many didn't even want to think of someone other than UTW playing as Suh Haeun...)

4. Someone wrote: So Ji Sub was the #1 choice to play Suh Ha-eun. But SJS was enlisted sooner than expected. So they picked Park Yong Woo, but he was too busy. So the second lead, UTW became the main lead and they auditioned for the second lead, and Go Joo Won got selected. But as the drama developed, Go Joo Won's acting was so bad his screen time became smaller and smaller (originally, he was supposed to be a true rival to Shinhyuk... almost getting engaged to Euna...)

After reading this, I got excited all over! I knew most of the info these fans shared, but I got shocked when I read SJS was the first choice before the enlistment. Wow wow! Honestly, I could definitely see So Jisub playing this complicated role. But I think there're too many similarities with MISA I'm not sure if this would be such a smart career move... However, what if he did play? What would have happened if the country didn't call him so soon? What of him playing "Resurrection"?

Gosh... I can't picture this now as I can't imagine a 'better' Resurrection than now... but really, "Resurrection" would have been a COMPLETELY different drama then, with a stronger rival and all. Having both SJS & UTW together would surely have brought this drama a few notch higher!

I HAVE DEEP REGRETS...

for not starting this drama sooner... I have finished 9 episodes of this drama in a marathon sort of way... i am captivated and totally enchanted by the story and the characters of this drama.

wow, i see shirley's review being quoted in the first page.. soulmate.. u never told me how moving this drama is...

*cry* i literally cried in the every of the earlier episodes... i was so moved by uhm tae woong and han ji min's acting... i would choke in tears when i think about how kang hyuk's life is literally so dark and sorrowful.. losing so much in his life.. and loving someone that he so wish to express his love upon but could not..

*CRY~~~* this drama really make me sad watching every single episode, i really feel the emotions of the main actors..

I have really underestimated Uhm Tae Woong's acting until i watch this series.. now, i'm just so amazed at his ability to convince me so much of kang hyuk's pain... even when i slept last night.. i thought about Yoo Kang Hyuk... :(

Han Ji Min also, carries so much grace in her acting. I never seen her act before until i watch this. She is really a gem, a raw talent... she needs to be in more dramas... i really don't like the current trend in lead actresses where they all try to act overly cute... but here's one woman who doesn't need to act all cute, and yet she's so great to watch...

Ko Joo Won.. *swoon* i dun mind falling for a guy like that... rich, tall, intelligent, handsome.. :) However, i know that Eun Ha and Ha Eun's love is too strong to be separated too long..

wow, took me a while to really appreciate a good drama .. but i got to say that "resurrection" really is an awesome drama~ i haven't even finish this yet but i'm thinking it's gonna be top on my list for one of the best dramas i watched this year.. along with Fashion 70s..

:D

*i feel so addicted to watch and end this drama by today * :D

Guest bonababy

This drama made an addict out of me. I can't express my self very much enough how i love this series.

Sadly,not much people seen this drama and missed a great masterpiece ever made this year.For some

drawn to pretty faces and left talent overlook, i for one look for substance.I enjoyed reading comments and reviews of this particular drama and appreciating others with the same intensity of liking of RESURRECTION

and UTW.

Hope to see more of this kind of quality in drama series.

Guest Priscilla

I HAVE DEEP REGRETS...

for not starting this drama sooner... I have finished 9 episodes of this drama in a marathon sort of way... i am captivated and totally enchanted by the story and the characters of this drama.

I'm soooo glad to see you here! Wow! You're doing a marathon? NO WORRIES, you won't beat me at that! I've watched all 24 episodes in 2 days~ doing nothing but watch and think and cry over this...

For lack of people here, I go to Resurrection Gallery every now and then, and read what the Panic fans write. It's soooo much and in-depth, even to this day, I feel rather intimidated there! It's really amazing how much you can think and say about this drama... and it's never ending!

Please finish this soon so that we can talk over this more!

;)

I HAVE DEEP REGRETS...

wow, i see shirley's review being quoted in the first page.. soulmate.. u never told me how moving this drama is...

*cry* i literally cried in the every of the earlier episodes... i was so moved by uhm tae woong and han ji min's acting... i would choke in tears when i think about how kang hyuk's life is literally so dark and sorrowful.. losing so much in his life.. and loving someone that he so wish to express his love upon but could not..

*CRY~~~* this drama really make me sad watching every single episode, i really feel the emotions of the main actors..

I have really underestimated Uhm Tae Woong's acting until i watch this series.. now, i'm just so amazed at his ability to convince me so much of kang hyuk's pain... even when i slept last night.. i thought about Yoo Kang Hyuk... :(

Han Ji Min also, carries so much grace in her acting. I never seen her act before until i watch this. She is really a gem, a raw talent... she needs to be in more dramas... i really don't like the current trend in lead actresses where they all try to act overly cute... but here's one woman who doesn't need to act all cute, and yet she's so great to watch...

Ko Joo Won.. *swoon* i dun mind falling for a guy like that... rich, tall, intelligent, handsome.. :) However, i know that Eun Ha and Ha Eun's love is too strong to be separated too long..

wow, took me a while to really appreciate a good drama .. but i got to say that "resurrection" really is an awesome drama~ i haven't even finish this yet but i'm thinking it's gonna be top on my list for one of the best dramas i watched this year.. along with Fashion 70s..

:D

OMG!! soulmate .how come i never told u about resurrection !! i literally make everyone around me watch it already!!!! ...... u know after F70s ..we feel so helpless without much to watch ..so i was suppose to watch Lawyers then ....while waiting i watch REScurrection instead first ! ...

intially when i switch on the first esp ..i was like trying to figure out if this was worth a watch ..since i heard so much about it !! .and then the first esp make me hook and i was earger to find out how this develop ......sob sob ya !!! .........i thought about this drama alot while watching ..imagining how much it is for him to be another ..and to be infront of the woman he love yet cannot be the man she love ..infront of the mother who give him life yet ..not being able to tell her .who he is ....lying to her even ...! of a secret that he had to keep ..for his revenge to be fulfil..!!! SEE i told them all also give UTW A chance ....to see him in this drama. !! .and they will be pretty amazed ......haha even rox .i convinced her to give this drama a chance ~~ and she loved it too ..when u go further into the drama .u really be sooooo in awe of what it has in store .right up to the last moment ..

ah ..and Han Ji Min ! ..oh ..she sooooo gentle and graceful. .in her role and i always feel like i want to cry for her .when she yearning for her obba ~!!! .and then how confuse she is ..!! ...likei really want to tell her ..that her obba is still there ...!! ..~

omo ..soulmate u know .those moments when ....Ha eun or Shin hyuck ..was looking at Eun ha in the office ...those moments are soooooo .tender to me ..and i even grin silly like him at times ..

haha u should see what was the first i wrote about resurrection .was that such a pity that it was against MNIKSS ....that others are not able to really see this gem of a drama .~~ ...it also right up my list for 2005 along with our F70s ..~~ ^^ ..and also lawyer !! .haha ...........

that day i went by a shop and i saw some toy dice .to put on your mobile ....i nealy want to ..buy one set hehehe ....

I'm soooo glad to see you here! Wow! You're doing a marathon? NO WORRIES, you won't beat me at that! I've watched all 24 episodes in 2 days~ doing nothing but watch and think and cry over this...

For lack of people here, I go to Resurrection Gallery every now and then, and read what the Panic fans write. It's soooo much and in-depth, even to this day, I feel rather intimidated there! It's really amazing how much you can think and say about this drama... and it's never ending!

Please finish this soon so that we can talk over this more!

;)

haha so priscilla .will u be buying the dVD ..i still waiting to see if it has english subtitles .i got more trust in KBS english subtitles ..~~ ...i got back my set of rescurrection ...haha so i can talk about it again ...~ .maybe i even do a rewatch of it ..next week or so .

hehe! AG you are in good company right over here!

RESU must be one of the cleverest kdrama i've ever watched! every word uttered means something else, everyone motivated by different desires are going nearer and nearer to the truth, the awesome acting, the tightly knitted plot! simply awesome!

i regretted not penning more thoughts when i first finished watching...but i guess it was also because my thoughts were so muddled and there were so much things to say...

i look forward to more of your reviews!

AHH MY GIRLS~~~~~ I REALLY WANT TO RANT ABOUT THIS DRAMA… and I’m ONLY UP TO EPISODE 10…. :/

Shirley, must be the time I was away in aussie when u watched this.. so I never heard about ur excitement for this drama..

Prisc… I’m so glad to see u here, posting such valuable pieces of information about this drama..

Goose… U TOO!!!! U ALSO WATCHED THIS?? Hahaha.. last nite was talking to some of the girls and cutie and pathos both actually did not like this drama.. and I was like OH COMMON U GURLS ARE SO WEIRD! :D

How do you begin to analyze when a drama is so complex and perplexed in plot, yet enchanting and beautiful at the same time. Someone in this thread actually called this drama a masterpiece.  I found that after watching 10 episodes of this drama, I still could not really gather my thoughts. Quite unlike me considering that I am someone who have so much to say after watching one episode of a drama :/

However, I feel that the storyline of this drama really sucked me, and somehow hypnotized me into becoming this way. The main character especially, played by Uhm Tae Woong, really amazed me that if you could see me, my best expression would have been dropping my jaw.

Truly, I never expected much from this actor. Seeing him in Choon Hyang and Gumiho, I really never thought he would have been able to lead this drama well. But I was so wrong. I was astonished at how he made the main character out to be. Suffice to say, I have somewhat fallen in love with the main character of this drama Yoo Kang Hyuk because of him. It’s really a character that can make my mind explode thinking about. How the character is developed by the story is just so interesting and very intriquing. The character played by Uhm Tae Woong is so dark, and sad, yet there is another side of him that is warm, and full of love.

From displaying himself as a kind and fun loving cop, to becoming a man with hidden secrets, pain and anguish, really opened my eyes to Uhm’s talent. I felt sorry that I have underestimated his caliber all this while.

My favorite scenes are actually scenes where Kang Hyuk. decided to take over the person of Yoo Shin Hyuk. It was nerve-wrecking to see how his whole life took such a different turn from that day on-wards. But he was playing a game now, and he had to win, because no one person could let go of such wickedness that brought him to the state he was in.

From the moment I started to watch this, every episode of this drama made me drop a few tears. I identified with Ha Eun and Eun Ha’s loved so well. I felt every bit of emotion that they shared. I felt how connected they were, and how tortured they were when they couldn't express their love to each other.

Han Ji Min is another actress that really amazed me. How could she, with such cold expressions let me feel every bit of emotion she felt. On the outside she really looks so tough, but deep within, lies all her vulnerabilities for loosing the man she had loved since she was a little girl.

This drama really makes me feel like a k-drama addict all over again. I feel weird when I’m not watching any of its episodes, and I get sad when I think about Yoo Kang Hyuk. The story is so full of suspense, yet the love story that is told is so delicate and pure.

My mind twists so much when I’m watching this drama. But when I come to soompi.. my mind is blank. I don’t know where to start writing, or how to start writing, because the story of this drama is so rich, so full that its hard to pen down my true feelings of watching this.

Only good dramas does this to people 

Guest Priscilla

haha so priscilla .will u be buying the dVD ..i still waiting to see if it has english subtitles .i got more trust in KBS english subtitles ..~~ ...i got back my set of rescurrection ...haha so i can talk about it again ...~ .maybe i even do a rewatch of it ..next week or so .

Of course I will! I too am hoping for English subtitles so I can lend this to my friends~ and spread the 'love'! :P

i regretted not penning more thoughts when i first finished watching...but i guess it was also because my thoughts were so muddled and there were so much things to say...

Yes dear... I remember you wrote a 'pre-review' of RESURRECTION after watching like up to episode 21? It was sooooooo good I was waiting for your Whole Version but it never came... But this drama's so complex if you don't pen the thoughts down then and there... they get lost...

How do you begin to analyze when a drama is so complex and perplexed in plot, yet enchanting and beautiful at the same time. Someone in this thread actually called this drama a masterpiece.  I found that after watching 10 episodes of this drama, I still could not really gather my thoughts. Quite unlike me considering that I am someone who have so much to say after watching one episode of a drama :/

However, I feel that the storyline of this drama really sucked me, and somehow hypnotized me into becoming this way. The main character especially, played by Uhm Tae Woong, really amazed me that if you could see me, my best expression would have been dropping my jaw.

Truly, I never expected much from this actor. Seeing him in Choon Hyang and Gumiho, I really never thought he would have been able to lead this drama well. But I was so wrong. I was astonished at how he made the main character out to be. Suffice to say, I have somewhat fallen in love with the main character of this drama Yoo Kang Hyuk because of him. It’s really a character that can make my mind explode thinking about. How the character is developed by the story is just so interesting and very intriquing. The character played by Uhm Tae Woong is so dark, and sad, yet there is another side of him that is warm, and full of love.

Maybe others call this a "Masterpiece" but right on this page, rubie posted a 'review' by a certain Mister X... He writes many Korean film reviews and weekly reports about the Korean Show Bizz... He sounds like a pro so much I feel intimidated, and yet I love reading his writings! This is how he ended his RESURRECTION review:

Those who've read my film reviews might beg to differ, but I actually don't like hyperbole. Will you allow me to use it this time? It's deserved. I'm going to pull out the dreaded 'M' word. M for 'maybe the best Korean TV Drama in the last 3 years'; M for 'maybe the TV Drama which will open you to the fact it's not all about lame love triangles and pretty faces acting like fools'. And, definitely, M for masterpiece.

And like you, I never expected I'd fall for UTW... But now, after watching many of his previous works, especially his TV-specials... I feel I've become a true fan of his... but there's sooooooo much talk today about his next drama 'Wolf' and the femal cast... Jun Ro Won (from MNKSS). Have you heard? Eric's the main lead, I think... Kind of disappointing for most of UTW's fans that this would be UHmForce's next project... but we're still hoping he'll shine nonetheless...

Hope I'm not going off tangent! I'll be waiting for more reports from you! ;)

Maybe others call this a "Masterpiece" but right on this page, rubie posted a 'review' by a certain Mister X... He writes many Korean film reviews and weekly reports about the Korean Show Bizz... He sounds like a pro so much I feel intimidated, and yet I love reading his writings! This is how he ended his RESURRECTION review:

And like you, I never expected I'd fall for UTW... But now, after watching many of his previous works, especially his TV-specials... I feel I've become a true fan of his... but there's sooooooo much talk today about his next drama 'Wolf' and the femal cast... Jun Ro Won (from MNKSS). Have you heard? Eric's the main lead, I think... Kind of disappointing for most of UTW's fans that this would be UHmForce's next project... but we're still hoping he'll shine nonetheless...

Hope I'm not going off tangent! I'll be waiting for more reports from you! ;)

Prisc.. did u know... that last night before i slept... i lingered at this thread.... and read up every post of this thread.. :) i was gonna avoid the thread because i didnt want to bump into any spoilers.... so hence i might have missed the earlier post by rubie... but last night i did read it all...

I am so frustrated.... my video store doesn't have the videos for me because someone rented it and hasnt returned the episodes... i've been waiting for 2 days!!! *CRY* I WANNA KNOW WAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!! OMG!!!!! feeling like an addict being kept away to the very thing i am addicted with... this drama :D

Was so interesting to read about the symbolisms, and the mastery of the script... although i must admit that i tried not to read too many spoilers.... *must pray that video comes sooner of God knows what else i'm gonna read in this thread or the one in hotelier*

why is so little people watching this show???? *CRY* this show is sooo good... and there isn't enough discussion about this show in soompi... it is really so interesting to read about people's views after they finish this drama...

i found it funny that at some post i read about people who feel numb after watching this show... haha.. that's exactly how i feel after watching 10 episodes only....

why do koreans write such interesting revenge stories??? :rolleyes: seems like a trend now... most of the revenge plots in korean entertainment are huge hits... taking influence from kfilms, i think such plots are slowly creeping into drama world. dramas like MISA, IJUKSA all carrying revenge themes... but i must say that Resurrection is strangely more exciting in plot, and more intense and thought provoking. Perhaps I will be able to pin point the matter when i complete this series and make a comparison of both dramas. IJUKSA is a bit overly ambitious for me, and becoming such a let down for me that i'm completely letting it go after watching half of the 4th episode. Also it drags so much and the story is too much a copy cat version of MISA that its getting so uninteresting.

I guess dramas with a good revenge plot are just interesting because as viewers we are steered to think like the victim, and suddenly we're in the head of the revengeful person. We're looking at his every action, and learning about his background, and getting into the plotting with him. *sigh* its really such an adrenalin rush isn't it :)

-----------------------

regarding "wolf" i was just at the thread a while ago... i do feel a little dissapointment with UTW taking the part now that I know how capable an actor he is... and i really understand the voice of his fans urging him to drop the role.... i think that people has finally seen the uniqueness of UhmForce and decided that he needs to move up... his fans are trying to protect him because they know how good an actor he is and where he is capable to reach... they've seen his full potential even before others have... perhaps UTW is just such a meek and humble person that he doesn't mind playing the second fiddle... wat ever his reasons are, i think fans are all of the opinion that his talent should no longer be hidden in unimportant roles... but rather be revealed in more challenging roles..

although i don't mind seeing UTW and eric in the same drama.. deep inside i do wish for UTW to step up further in his career and not be constantly linked to playing the second fiddle.. but rather he has what it takes to carry a drama/ movie.. he has proven that.. so really, he shud move up.

Guest Priscilla

regarding "wolf" i was just at the thread a while ago... i do feel a little dissapointment with UTW taking the part now that I know how capable an actor he is... and i really understand the voice of his fans urging him to drop the role.... i think that people has finally seen the uniqueness of UhmForce and decided that he needs to move up... his fans are trying to protect him because they know how good an actor he is and where he is capable to reach... they've seen his full potential even before others have... perhaps UTW is just such a meek and humble person that he doesn't mind playing the second fiddle... wat ever his reasons are, i think fans are all of the opinion that his talent should no longer be hidden in unimportant roles... but rather be revealed in more challenging roles..

although i don't mind seeing UTW and eric in the same drama.. deep inside i do wish for UTW to step up further in his career and not be constantly linked to playing the second fiddle.. but rather he has what it takes to carry a drama/ movie.. he has proven that.. so really, he shud move up.

We should carry this conversation over at UTW thread, but it's so quiet over there that I think it wouldn't matter... I'm just glad you symphatize with UTW's fans... although I knew you are an Eric's fan... thanks for what you wrote!

I think it's not just a matter of him playing the second lead... it's more that his fans expect him to become a true actor, not a star... they expect him to choose quality works that may not have the best ratings, but they just love to see him expanding his acting wings (and they feel that Eric's more like a teen idol). In those terms, they felt 'wolf' was a true let down! I wrote the following at UTW's thread:

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166&st=120

BTW, UTW wrote today... amidst all the News announcing Jung Ro Won as the female lead for 'Wolf,' he left a small note at his fan-cafe. I was hoping he'd say something about the drama since his fans are still 'wishing' he wouldn't do this... but he was just thanking his fans for being so caring and so detailed oriented... He talked about finishing up his movie "The Birth of a Family" and he was asking us to take good care of ourselves.

I think his fans 'got the point:' he was telling us to relax and to just trust in him! (My thoughts: How sweet of him! And how perceptive his fans are~ me included! :rolleyes: )

But first things first... you must finish RESURRECTION~!!

Fighting! :P

We should carry this conversation over at UTW thread, but it's so quiet over there that I think it wouldn't matter... I'm just glad you symphatize with UTW's fans... although I knew you are an Eric's fan... thanks for what you wrote!

I think it's not just a matter of him playing the second lead... it's more that his fans expect him to become a true actor, not a star... they expect him to choose quality works that may not have the best ratings, but they just love to see him expanding his acting wings (and they feel that Eric's more like a teen idol). In those terms, they felt 'wolf' was a true let down! I wrote the following at UTW's thread:

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166&st=120

But first things first... you must finish RESURRECTION~!!

Fighting! :P

Prisc check out my new avi and siggie ... haha.. i love both actors now :)

and this drama is so underrated eh? so many people need to hear about it and watch it for themselves... so hence i'm shouting it from my siggie too~ i'm actually grateful i found this drama.. i was really getting sick of all the overused love plots i was watching.... i actually thought this was one too... but since i had time to kill and nothing good to watch i gave it a go... i am now really happy that i actually watched this!

ahhhh... i wonder when i finish this i can qualify as a panic member :D

ps: me at UTW thread PRISC.. hehe.. first timer.. *shy*

Archived