Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Son Ye Jin got a xiaohongshu account. (I dont know anything about this platform but I looked it up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaohongshu

The app allows users and well-known personnel to post and share product reviews, travel blogs and lifestyle stories via short videos and photos.

- She posted an update. It's official as MSTEAM linked it on their youtube:

2021selfie.jpg

https://www.xiaohongshu.com/user/profile/600e3e0a00000000010084fb

Hello. It's been a while since I said hello. We created this place to communicate with you. I wanted to say thank you to all the fans who gave us a lot of love and support through the crash landing of love. Above all, I was so touched by special gifts and events to celebrate my birthday. I will try to communicate more through this place. These days, healthier days are more precious than ever. Stay healthy, everyone.~

• Like 2

I have no idea if it's an old pic or a current pic.  Maybe it's her at home look plus filters?  I find she tends to look older with more make up and I prefer her with less.  Either way, it's nice she made the effort to connect with fans through another app.  I think she was maybe genuinely surprised and shocked by the scale of the birthday efforts for her this year from ardent fans.

Read some translated news on twitter that suggests SYJ may be reviewing new projects since Cross is delayed (and may be delayed beyond Sept even?).  Not sure how legit it is.  But I feel SYJ will do a new project this year for sure, one way or another.  Hopefully she's being flooded with great scripts!! 

3 hours ago, welh11 said:

Is the xiaohongshu account picture an old one updated with a caption?

I ask because she looks much younger in the picture than her current award photographs.

I wondered too only because it looks similar to one of her old selfies she took before. Her hair looks a bit shorter but I can't really tell because her hair might have been braided really tightly. Although she also doesn't age lol. 

it was this selfie I thought of:

selfie2.jpg

her profile pic is also an old pic. I just don't think she would post an old selfie with an update though

@Seriya yes Cross delayed till "September" if all goes well and it doesn't get delayed more. It has always been unclear from the start who is in the movie especially the Hollywood actors as Sam was always busy and when they named Ethan to be in it he was also busy. That is why I hope she knew Cross was going to be postponed since November - That was when both Sam and Ethan started getting more busy with their new projects being announced in Hollywood. Hollywood working schedule has always been different. Their projects also tend to be more bigger budget. So not sure what the production budget they were aiming for Cross too. It was always very early pre production stage from all the talks I could tell from last year.

Reviewing projects is usually what they always say when a work gets delayed. "Projects" could also mean more CFs or interesting photoshoot concept etc. It is really what her goals are now which only SYJ and those very close to her know. It has always been important to her being healthy during this time. She has postponed work before due to covid as well. 

• Like 1

I do wonder why after 6 1/2 years SYJ established a new Chinese social media account.

Yes, she is very appreciative of her fan support and gifts that she has received in the last year. Most of her new popularity is international, but I thought most of it came from Japan, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

Second, she is a savvy businesswoman. Could she be re-introducing herself to the Chinese market? Or more specifically, Hong Kong which is English speaking (hence the English caption)? She could be considering a new China-Hong Kong (co)production project. She did one before, Bad Guys Always Die (2016), but that movie did not do well at the box office.

4 hours ago, Seriya said:

I have no idea if it's an old pic or a current pic.  Maybe it's her at home look plus filters?  I find she tends to look older with more make up and I prefer her with less.  Either way, it's nice she made the effort to connect with fans through another app.  I think she was maybe genuinely surprised and shocked by the scale of the birthday efforts for her this year from ardent fans.

Read some translated news on twitter that suggests SYJ may be reviewing new projects since Cross is delayed (and may be delayed beyond Sept even?).  Not sure how legit it is.  But I feel SYJ will do a new project this year for sure, one way or another.  Hopefully she's being flooded with great scripts!! 

I hope

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20210128005100315

'Crash Landing on You,' BTS, 'Parasite' lead 'hallyu' popularity in 2020: report

spacer.png

This photo, provided by tvN, shows a scene from the Korean romance drama "Crash Landing on You." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Jan. 28 (Yonhap) -- The Korean drama "Crash Landing on You," K-pop dynamite group BTS and the Oscar-winning film "Parasite" were among the top drivers of the Korean Wave, or "hallyu," last year, a government report showed Thursday.

Some 9.5 percent of hallyu fans picked the romance flick "Crash Landing on You" as their favorite Korean drama, followed by "It's Okay Not to Be Okay" at 4.1 percent and "The World of the Married" at 2.8 percent, according to an annual survey conducted by the culture ministry and the Korean Foundation for International Culture Exchange.

In the category for singers, BTS topped the chart with 22 percent, followed by BLACKPINK at 13.5 percent and "Gangnam Style" star Psy at 2.9 percent. The rankings did not change from a year earlier, but the proportion of people who picked BTS and BLACKPINK as their favorite singers increased on-year.

For Korean films, the black comedy "Parasite" ranked No. 1 with 18.4 percent, followed by the 2016 thriller "Train to Busan" at 10.2 percent. The 2020 film "Peninsula" first made it on the top three with 3.5 percent.

The annual report also showed that hallyu fans consumed more Korean cultural products during the pandemic. Demand for Korean variety shows, dramas and games increased the most as more people relied on digital content.

By overall portion, dramas were the most popular hallyu content, with 29.7 percent of the respondents saying they watched Korean dramas. Beauty products and videos came next at 27.5 percent, followed by variety shows and fashion-related products at 26.9 percent and 24.8 percent, respectively.

The report, meanwhile, showed that those who agreed to negative sentiment about hallyu reached 24.4 percent, down 2.2 percentage points from a year earlier. Some 25.9 percent said they felt hallyu was too commercial.

The report was compiled based on a survey of 8,500 hallyu content consumers in 18 countries, including China, Japan, Indonesia, the United States and Turkey. It was conducted in the form of an online survey between September and November last year.

For questions on their favorite Korean drama, film and singer, respondents were asked to write down their top choice instead of choosing from a list of answers.

mlee@yna.co.kr

(END)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/01/398_303238.html

Young Asian women most loyal 'hallyu' consumers: survey

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2021-01-28

EA745CED-A8C0-4E48-A556-51C6DBDCCBCF.jpg

From left, posters for the drama series "Itaewon Class," "Start-Up," "Kingdom" and "Crash Landing On You" / Korea Times file

Young Asian women were the main consumers of Korean wave products in 2020, according to a survey conducted by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism in collaboration with the Korean Foundation for International Culture Exchange, Thursday.

The annual report showed that Asian women in their 20s and 30s were the "biggest spenders" on Korean cultural products last year.

"The main hallyu consumers were Asian women between the ages of 29 and 31, and the results showed that women spent more than men on dramas, variety shows, films, books, beauty products and food. Men only outnumbered women in games," the ministry said in a statement.

The report was compiled based on a survey of 8,500 hallyu (Korean wave) consumers across 18 countries, including China, Japan, the U.S., Australia, the U.A.E. and Brazil. It was conducted last year in the form of an online survey between September and November.

Demand for Korean variety shows, dramas and games increased the most in 2020 from the previous year, as more people relied on digital content during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2020, the main platforms for viewing Korean video content were online or mobile.

Dramas were the most preferred offerings, with 29.7 percent of the respondents saying they watched K-dramas. Beauty products came next at 27.5 percent, followed by variety shows at 26.9 percent and fashion-related products at 24.8 percent.

Hit drama "Crash Landing on You," K-pop boy band BTS and the Oscar-winning film "Parasite" were among Korea's most popular cultural offerings last year.

In the category for dramas, some 9.5 percent of respondents picked the romance series "Crash Landing on You" as their favorite Korean drama, followed by "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" at 4.1 percent. "The World of the Married" and "Itaewon Class" tied for third place, at 2.8 percent.

As for singers, BTS topped the survey with 22 percent, followed by BLACKPINK at 13.5 percent and PSY at 2.9 percent.

For Korean films, director Bong Joon-ho's 2019 black comedy thriller "Parasite" ranked No. 1 with 18.4 percent, followed by Yeon Sang-ho's 2016 zombie blockbuster "Train to Busan" at 10.2 percent and "Peninsula" (2020) at 3.5 percent.

For the fourth consecutive year, hallyu fans responded that K-pop is the first thing that comes to their minds when thinking of Korea. K-pop or singers constituted the top result on all continents except for Africa ― the IT industry ranked first in South Africa.

Some 16.8 percent of respondents picked K-pop or singers as their favorite thing about Korea, followed by Korean food at 12 percent and the IT industry at 6.9 percent.

In particular, Korean food ranked No.1 in countries that have relatively high purchasing power, like China, Japan, the U.S. and Russia.

However, the use of the Korean language was picked as a stumbling block to the Korean culture industry's worldwide expansion.

"The fact that the popularity of hallyu seems to have continued unabated across the world despite the yearlong COVID-19 restrictions is encouraging. The government will budget more for providing subtitles, translations and voice-overs in order to reduce language barriers," one ministry official said.

"We will also increase the number of Sejong Institutes, dispatch more Korean-language instructors around the world and offer online courses in Korean."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, welh11 said:

I do wonder why after 6 1/2 years SYJ established a new Chinese social media account.

It seems she has had a weibo account for a long time but had trouble logging in/posting so it's been dormant for a while.  So she/her agency just went with a newer, hipper social media platform instead.  I'm not on either so don't know what she posted in the past or how active her Mainland Chinese fanbase is, but would guess it's substantial.

Yes, she is very appreciative of her fan support and gifts that she has received in the last year. Most of her new popularity is international, but I thought most of it came from Japan, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

I think she and HB and other Korean stars are massive in Mainland China.  I think I read that the CLOY finale even broke the mainland streaming platform due to overcapacity.  In terms of sheer numbers, I would guess that mainland fans are not insignificant simply due to population size.  I'm nor sure but it seems they were the ones who did one of the big building/subway ads for SYJ's bday and sent over some expensive luxury designer items for their idols.  It does seem like SYJ was shocked by the scale of her birthday celebrations/gifts from fans all over.

Second, she is a savvy businesswoman. Could she be re-introducing herself to the Chinese market? Or more specifically, Hong Kong which is English speaking (hence the English caption)? She could be considering a new China-Hong Kong (co)production project. She did one before, Bad Guys Always Die (2016), but that movie did not do well at the box office.

These days, whether you're from Hollywood or Bollywood or elsewhere in Asia or wherever, no one in the entertainment business ignores the Mainland Chinese market.  Again, sheer numbers.  Purchasing power and market value.  More Asian/East-West co-productions now depend on Mainland investment to get made. I'm sure she and her agency are savvy about this.  She's already done ads for a Chinese makeup brand.  But Korean/Japanese celebs popular in Mainland China also need to tread carefully at times given the minefield that is the historical relationship between the 3 countries.  Innocuous social media content by a celeb can generate a backlash stirred up by nationalist forces and there have been many examples of this absurdity and celebs have been burned and made to apologize.

I think the English caption was just a filter so wouldn't read too much into it.  Xiaohungshu/Weibo are Mainland oriented apps. HK and Taiwan use different apps like Instagram/Twitter/Line/Whatsapp etc which are officially blocked in Mainland China. 

Honestly I don't want to see her do a commercial Chinese film, though I'm sure it would be lucrative.  I would much rather see her working with renowned Chinese arthouse type director/actors.  Working with a Taiwanese/Oscar winning director like Ang Lee or HK director Wong Kar Wai in some multi country co-production would be a dream. Or costarring with Gong Li or Chow Yun Fat.

I think I came across some old interview of SYJ's where she said she was a fan of HK films when she was growing up(?).  Guessing it might have been during the golden era of HK film in the 80s/90s when they were popular across Asia.  She even named some actors she would love to work with.  Can't remember who she named or where she said this.

I thought SYJ's mandarin was pretty good in CLOY.  Her mandarin enunciation may even be better than her English one, tbh.  But her English seems to be improving with every project.

I would be happy even if SYJ simply continued to do quality Korean projects.  Korean film & television have produced a lot of high quality works in recent decades that have dazzled even Hollywood. 

@welh11 I am guessing it also started with her Chinese endorsement in the summer. She always liked her Chinese fans - where she got the nickname son fairy from. The gifts from Chinese fans have been more expensive too. I think why she felt like opening another Chinese account - just more focused on women, lifestyle, travel etc instead - since the platform she chose seems to be more of her style. I also dont use weibo, or this etc I know a lot are blocked in China as well. So it could be why she felt the need to try to engage more with her Chinese fans.

@Seriya yea she also watched a lot of Chinese movies too - She said in one of her earlier interviews. Maybe it was 10 years ago that she liked Tang Wei movies too. She went to China a lot to promote as early as Classic time before she had worked on Bad Guys Always Die with Chen Bolin. That is why I don't think she would do another SK-Chinese movie soon. She could do another endorsement or a photoshoot for a Chinese magazine - like ex. Vogue Hong Kong. Since even HB's Esquire Korea cover made it to Esquire Taiwan. Tang Wei is filming with LJH on a movie right now. So if it is filming in Korea and has Chinese actors similar like TW maybe she could do that instead. Since that movie LJH is filming with TW, Park Hae Il etc is with TW's husband (Late Autumn director)

(Forgot to post these fashion related articles)

http://english.pickcon.co.kr/site/data/html_dir/2020/10/28/2020102880205.html

Son Ye-jin's Style Alternates Between Girlish Charm, Chic Glamour

December 09, 2019

D6C21049-6966-4670-A789-CD86120E0B21.jpg

Son Ye-jin's great acting chops and enthusiasm to make each role her own have made her one of the most sought-after actresses, not to mention her innocent appearance.

Her natural beauty is brought out the most when she wears a long dress with her long wavy hair down, or a chiffon dress that floats over her figure.

394A045A-3659-4DA8-96B4-00F571B53B91.jpg

Son's air of innocence is offset by her unexpectedly curvy body. A long-time devotee of Pilates, she flaunts her well-toned body even in simple casual outfits like blue jeans.

At a press event for her hit TV series "Something in the Rain" in March 2018, a white silk dress enhanced her girlish side, but she went for a chic look in a black double-breasted blazer-style dress at a press junket for her film "The Negotiation," which she attended with her co-star Hyun Bin in August the same year, just ahead of its release the following month.

CC50E031-2710-476D-95ED-9B06A3AD4726.jpg

Spoiler

C42D586C-CA2D-4671-B501-A9AF6BC838E2.jpg

C288BED7-196D-44A7-9C52-348808F75312.jpg

A5FE2AA1-649E-4027-AB92-1F779E7A86E2.jpg

09C5E00B-5E35-4590-9A76-015997D511BA.jpg

925E57AE-2D52-4D85-8878-AF983E1CD596.jpg

7889EE52-B87C-4634-8098-8DAA324F9A87.jpg

5D982E17-4765-4778-81D6-F07D2FA9F6E2.jpg

F7B4FBFF-7EE7-4B0E-AAFE-5E3340EC414B.jpg

8A602CC8-418F-4B64-8A8F-B2325C4A172D.jpg

2593A968-4BE2-438D-8363-CD9DFADA9C8A.jpg

4D194333-2BA9-44C5-BBE1-F52ECD00013B.jpg

B4F03B3D-CB9C-448F-A2E7-C0A7212DC1C0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I feel sorry for SYJ. There has been so much attention, rumor and gossip since the January 1st dating confirmation I think the madness will hurt their relationship. They cannot do anything without wild speculation and attention to their private lives. When know SYJ is active and reads posts about her. SYJ was overwhelmed by the support after the news and the massive amount of gifts given to her on her birthday, some with messages of getting married and having children with HB. Since her Japanese fan meeting, rumors of her being pregnant since fans have not seen a new photo full body photo of her. The fact that she has not announced a new project is twisted to mean that she is focused on marriage and starting a family. Her new Chinese SNS picture was dissected to be the same as an old HB photo: which meant they were doing couple clothing match to that they were living together as she was wearing his sweater. Now, HB's new home purchase drives speculation of them being married or going to get married shortly, even though his agency denied it was purchased for a pending marital home.  What is shocking is that HB has no privacy since fans now know where he will live. Any person with a camera is a paparazzi. Any person can post their imaginary projections on the couple. It has become a shark feeding frenzy.

I can see the cumulative effect of such attention and invasions of privacy to be a huge burden on a celebrity couple because this attention is not directed at their public persona (their work, their CFs, their charity events, etc.) but directly at their private lives. Stars do wish to maintain their popularity because it gives them a better opportunity for future projects, but the immense public expectation on matters which would affect the rest of their private life is daunting and unfair. No wonder so many other outed celebrity couples fold under the pressure.

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

7 hours ago, welh11 said:

I feel sorry for SYJ. There has been so much attention, rumor and gossip since the January 1st dating confirmation I think the madness will hurt their relationship. They cannot do anything without wild speculation and attention to their private lives. When know SYJ is active and reads posts about her. SYJ was overwhelmed by the support after the news and the massive amount of gifts given to her on her birthday, some with messages of getting married and having children with HB. Since her Japanese fan meeting, rumors of her being pregnant since fans have not seen a new photo full body photo of her. The fact that she has not announced a new project is twisted to mean that she is focused on marriage and starting a family. Her new Chinese SNS picture was dissected to be the same as an old HB photo: which meant they were doing couple clothing match to that they were living together as she was wearing his sweater. Now, HB's new home purchase drives speculation of them being married or going to get married shortly, even though his agency denied it was purchased for a pending marital home.  What is shocking is that HB has no privacy since fans now know where he will live. Any person with a camera is a paparazzi. Any person can post their imaginary projections on the couple. It has become a shark feeding frenzy.

I can see the cumulative effect of such attention and invasions of privacy to be a huge burden on a celebrity couple because this attention is not directed at their public persona (their work, their CFs, their charity events, etc.) but directly at their private lives. Stars do wish to maintain their popularity because it gives them a better opportunity for future projects, but the immense public expectation on matters which would affect the rest of their private life is daunting and unfair. No wonder so many other outed celebrity couples fold under the pressure.

SYJ did not confirm her relationship with HB to maintain her popularity if that's what you are trying to say. She confirmed it because she was ready to face the world and consequences. I have followed SYJ long enough to know that is steady and consistent, and does not get pressured by fans or the people around her even with her choices of movie or drama. But yeah some fans can be too much on dissecting info but that's a given when celebrities are very famous - a small price they've got to pay for the massive support and love they receive all over the world. I think HB's agency denied that it's a marital home to protect HB and SYJ privacy. We've seen agencies denying things like this in the past. They even denied they were dating in the earlier stage of their relationship - in showbiz and royalty world, every confirmation has to be at the right timing. For loyal fans of SYJ like me, we are still focused in her work (drama, film, CF, guesting, talent, skills etc) so don't feel sorry for her. Her heart fluttering relationship with HB is just a bonus. I've got an info from a reliable source that she is reviewinh a short film project soon in an streaming platform (not the Cross), a collaboration with actors from other country so let's keep our fingers crossed for that.

• Like 7

I did not mean that she confirmed to gain popularity. She confirmed because she is honest even though they wanted to keep the news secret. But I don't think anyone imagined the avalanche of fan speculation, wild rumors, and privacy violations directed towards them. She has been a very private person. As she said, she has been at times overwhelmed by attention.

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1

23 hours ago, welh11 said:

gain

I think SYJ known that she gains more fans after SITR and CLOY Drama, especially I-fans. The Kdrama can air in real-time overworlds, than the Kmovie, in some country have many month delays to watch it, and it makes the difference euphoria or famous/popular. 

Honesty, I like Kmovie more than Kdrama, because watch Kdrama has many efforts (times and feelings) :grin:. That why I like SYJ because she has many genres (Chungmuro), and I am satisfied she had done a thriller and action movie. For me, the truth beneath or the pirates are masterpieces. :love:

If now she takes time to relax, for me, it's fine. I will be patient waiting for her big screen in the next years.  
Thanks, SYJ for giving me some view of the genres, I wish and pray SYJ to have joy and happiness in her love and life. :heartxoxo:

@welh11 I don't think syj is that active online anymore. She only more online when she is working that day I noticed when she has liked in the past. - She was only more active in January because it was around her birthday and she wanted to like and thank fans and decided to make her post in the end few days later. She is more focus on her personal and real life. Lee Jung Hyun's mom recently passed away too. This was day before HB's new place came out. So I am sure SYJ even knew this about LJH's mom before the news came out too. Kmedia always does speculations after confirmation. This is normal. However since they have past denials and been together longer /worked on The Negotiation before - that is why kmedia have to talk about more stuff. I do find the latest especially on HB - invaded his privacy a lot more that is why his agency had to clear up right away. I always find with media/paparazzis. It shouldn't be anyones business where someone lives. I thought going into so much detail on his new place was not needed either. Most stuff that is said on SYJ is positive unless you go on example twitter. You see stupid stuff being said. She's more focus on her personal life and potential works later. Most couples after confirmation too - They actually don't go much after - they keep it more low key. A lot of korean actors have said in past too it is hard to go out in Korea and enjoy their daily life. Most  actually stay home more now due to covid too. A lot of actors have mentioned this. They actually don't go out as much.

There is still talks their SMART CF will be release soon in February too. I just want kmedia to leave them alone and respect their privacy. Kmedia always puts couples together in their headlines even when it doesn't involve the other person. So this will always be common for any upcoming updates from SYJ. It will continue to be reported this way in kmedia news.  This is why SYJ also carefully chooses what to update her SNS on as well. Example. whenever Kim Woo Bin updates SNS - they make it about Shin Min Ah

• Like 1