Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

20 hours ago, Teeners said:

@slowpoked, I came across this on YT, the first part of the video is her acceptance speech for winning the Blue Dragon for MWGM. No English subs though. I see Gong Hyo Jin was also nominated. I'm always curious if it's awkward for friends to compete against each other for acting awards.

Thank you for this, @Teeners ! Yes, I can't understand a single thing but it was still nice to see her speech. I hope someday there will be an English translation. She was really flustered. She really did not expect to win. I assume the next one where she was in the purple gown was Baeksang? And that it happened after Blue Dragon? Because she was much more composed there. 

Recent drama articles where ‘Crash Landing on You’ was mentioned.  I put them in spoiler quotes.

1. ratings of terrestrial broadcasters (KBS, SBS, MBC), tvN, and JTBC in the first half of 2020 (from 01.01.2020 to 06.30.2020),

Spoiler

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/22/sbs-drama-tops-the-viewership-category-with-an-average-ratings-of-11-6-percent/
SBS Drama Tops the Viewership Category with an Average Ratings of 11.6 Percent

by krishkim

Amid the overall low drama viewership due to the “trot craze” and platform diversification, SBS dramas surpassed the average household rating of 10 percent in the first half of this year, proving its potential as “drama powerhouse.”

11E92065-EC5B-4008-9084-A095EDAFC078.jpg
Credit: SBS

According to the report by Nielsen Korea after analyzing the ratings of three terrestrial broadcasters (KBS, SBS, MBC), tvN, and JTBC in the first half of 2020 (from 01.01.2020 to 06.30.2020), SBS recorded an average of 11.6 percent viewership, surpassing the 10 percent mark and achieving an unrivaled number one spot. JTBC came in second with 8.2 percent, while tvN, MBC, and KBS followed the list with 5.5 percent, 4.3 percent, 3.7 percent, respectively.

SBS also topped the 2049 viewership, a key barometer of popularity and channel competitiveness, with 4.8 percent. JTBC followed with 3.8 percent and tvN with 3.1 percent. MBC and KBS came in fourth and fifth by recording 1.7 percent and 1.1 percent. In particular, SBS showed its potential by listing five of the seven dramas aired in the first half of the year into the Top 10 and all seven in the Top 15.

SBS’s race will continue un the second half of the year as well. First, Alice, one of the most anticipated dramas in the second half of the year, will premiere in August as a follow-up drama of Backstreet Rookie. Starring Kim Hee Sun and Joo Won, this human SF drama tells the story of a man and a woman who are separated by death, only to be reunited by overcoming the limits of time and space. In addition, Fly From Rags To Riches, starring Kwon Sang Woo and Bae Sung Woo, and Penthouse, in which PD Joo Dong Min and writer Kim Soon Ok have joined hands once again since The Last Empress, are set to air in the second half of the year.

F9EE0787-22C5-43C4-B49C-C8C9F514C24C.jpg
Credit: JTBC, tvN

MBC, on the other hand, has lost its title, “Drama Kingdom.” The last mini-series that has exceeded 15 percent viewership was She Was Pretty, which aired in 2015. As time went by, single-digit ratings became the norm, and even the dramas that recorded 0 percent viewership have frequently appeared.

MBC’s slump is even more noticeable since each major broadcaster has produced at least one hit drama that has dominated the viewership and popularity: KBS’s When the Camellia Blooms, JTBC’s Itaewon Class and The World of the Married, SBS’s Hot Stove League and Dr. Romantic 2, and tvN’s Crash Landing on You.

23B1ECD4-AB59-4601-945B-C0D19A0B5159.jpg
Credit: MBC

Efforts to revive the MBC drama are currently underway. Although the viewership did not hit the jackpot in the first half of 2020, it achieved notable results in terms of diversity. It is said that they have expanded the range of viewers’ choices by making new attempts such as producing a script that won the contest, 4 or 8 part mystery drama, and running virtual SNS channels related to the dramas. In August, SF8, SF Anthology series, which was first introduced at the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival, will air.

Source (1, 2)

2. TV drama viewership battle in 1st half of 2020

Spoiler

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200717003200315
JTBC takes lead in TV drama viewership battle in H1

SEOUL, July 17 (Yonhap) -- On the South Korean small screen, cable channel JTBC had a large lead over other big names on the back of well-made, eye-catching drama series in the first half of 2020.

The romance thriller "The World of the Married," the South Korean adaptation of BBC's "Doctor Foster," was the biggest hit TV series during the period, with its viewership reaching as high as 28.4 percent.  It is the highest-ever rating by a drama on a non-terrestrial TV channel.  The 16-episode drama, which features the revenge of a dedicated wife, played by Kim Hee-ae, coupled with intense suspense and unpredictable storytelling, also won director Mo Wan-il the best TV director award at this year's Baeksang Arts Awards.

JTBC's "Itaewon Class," starring star actor Park Seo-joon, was the No. 2 drama of the first half with viewership of 16.5 percent, the seventh-highest viewership rating in cable television history.

In a bid to maintain the competitive edge in the second half of the year, the broadcaster has launched the mystery "Graceful Friend," portraying close friends who face a murder in their town, and the crime drama "The Good Detective," a battle between detectives who reveal the truth and cover it up.

AEN20200717003200315-01-i-P4.jpg
A scene from "The World of the Married" provided by JTBC (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

PCM20200703000014005-P4.jpg
A teaser image of "It's OK to Not Be OK" by tvN (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

On the other hand, tvN, a cable channel run by entertainment giant CJ ENM, suffered a worse-than-expected first-half performance, except for the romantic comedy "Crash Landing On You," which started its 16-episode run in December last year.

Its prime-time series including the romantic comedy "Oh My Baby," starring Jang Na-ra, and the romance drama "It's OK to Not Be OK," starring Kim Soo-hyun, failed to impress South Korean viewers. 

"Oh My Baby," about a workaholic single woman, recorded 2.9 percent in viewership rating at best and quietly finished its 16th episode on July 2.  Premiering on June 20, "It's OK," was one of the most anticipated TV series as Korean wave star Kim's return project after his two-year military duty. But its audience share has been hovering around 5 percent.

To break the stalemate, tvN has come up with a star-studded lineup for the second half.

Starring Cho Seung-woo and Bae Doona, "Stranger 2," the sequel to the 2016 popular crime drama "Stranger," will air in August.

Heartthrob actor Park Bo-gum and "Parasite" star Park So-dam will star in tvN's romance "Record of Youth" in September, while Bae Suzy and Nam Joo-hyuk are cast for "Startup" slated for October.

Terrestrial broadcasters like KBS and MBC remain in the doldrums as their shows hardly created a buzz over the first six months.

KBS' thriller "Woman of 9.9 Billion" and MBC's office comedy "Kkondae Intern," also known as "Old School Intern," are the only two series that made their presence felt on the small screen.

SBS received better results than the two rivals, with its medical drama "Dr. Romantic 2" and legal drama "Hyena" marking double-digit viewership ratings.  But its blockbuster fantasy show "The King: Eternal Monarch," starring Lee Min-ho, was a complete flop in the first half.

KBS's romantic comedy "Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol," MBC's science-fiction series "SF8" and SBS' musical drama "Do You Like Brahms?" will be their weapons of choice for the second half.

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

3. Netflix

Spoiler

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/22/with-the-help-of-netflix-its-okay-to-not-be-okay-is-receiving-explosive-reactions-from-all-around-the-world/
With the Help of Netflix, ‘It’s Okay to Not Be Okay’ Is Receiving Explosive Reactions from All Around the World

by krishkim

C9897B23-DDCC-4B32-AD63-D02387685427.jpg
Credit: Studio Dragon, tvN

Drama It’s Okay to Not Be Okay, produced by Studio Dragon, is receiving explosive responses. It is currently being streamed in 190 countries around the world through Netflix.

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay is loved in Southeast and Northeast Asian countries, such as Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and Japan, as well as in South America, including Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, and Chile. It is also showing great results in Africa, including Nigeria and Australia.

IMDB, which evaluates the contents from around the world, gave 9.2 out of 10 points for It’s Okay to Not Be Okay. The figure is higher than The King: Eternal Monarch (8.4) and Crash Landing on You (8.8), the two dramas that recently gained much popularity in the global market.

Viewers around the world lavished praise on the work, saying, “You’ll be fascinated by the addictive story and beautiful production,” “It’s different from the K-drama you’ve seen so far,” “You shouldn’t think of it as a classic romance drama,“ and “I was fascinated even from the first episode, and I’m still immersed in it.”

0D9E3976-9677-4999-A3D3-8311291EE697.jpg
Credit: Studio Dragon, tvN

Foreign media are paying attention to the worldwide popularity of Korean dramas. Time Magazine recommended 10 K-dramas while covering the popularity of Korean dramas. Other leading global media outlets have also continued to analyze the reasons for the recent popularity of K-drama and introduce works that are about to be launched.

Regarding the new K-drama craze that’s spreading worldwide, Studio Dragon said, “We thank global viewers for their love in various works, including ‘Goblin,’ ‘Mr.Sunshine,’ and recent ‘Crash Landing on You’ and ‘It’s Okay to Not Be Okay.’ We will make efforts to produce and share well-made content that people around the world can enjoy and sympathize with.”

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay is a romantic comedy drama about a fantasy fairytale-like love between Moon Kang Tae (Kim Soo Hyun), a psych ward community worker who refuses to love from being oppressed by the weight of life, and Go Moon Young (Seo Ye Ji), a storybook writer who doesn’t understand love.

Source (1)

4. Top 15 Dramas of 1st Half of 2020 (ranked by number of viewers per episode)

Spoiler

https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20200722177900005

Top 15 Dramas of 1st Half of 2020 (ranked by number of viewers)

Rank / Network / Drama / Average Number of Viewers per Episode 
1. SBS ‘Romantic Dr, Teacher Kim 2 낭만닥터 김사부 2’ (3,446,716) // Han Seok-gu
2. JTBC ‘The World of the Married 부부의 세계’ (3,352,475) // Kim Hee-ae 
3. tvN ‘Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착’ (3,334,033) // Hyun Bin & Son Ye-jin
4. SBS ‘Hot Stove League 스토브리그’ (2,776,693) // Nam Goong-min 
5. JTBC ‘Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰’ (2,604,164) // Park Seo-joon
6. tvN ‘Hospital Playlist 슬기로운 의사생활’ (2,396,085) // Jo Jung-suk 
7. SBS ‘Hyena 하이에나’ (1,921,449) // Kim Hye-soo & Joo Ji-hoon 
8. SBS ‘The King - Eternal Monarch 더 킹 - 영원의 군주’ (1,596,573) // Lee Min-ho
9. SBS ‘Good Casting 굿캐스팅’ (1,572,110) // Choi Kang-hee 
10. SBS ‘Nobody Knows 아무도 모른다’ (1,478,356)
11. KBS2 ‘Woman of 9.9 Billion | 99억의 여자’ (1,407,863)
12. tvN ‘Hi Bye Mama!  하이바이, 마마!’ (1,273,299) // Kim Tae-hee 
13. tvN ‘It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아’ (1,232,619) // Kim Soo-hyun
14. SBS ‘Backstreet Rookie 편의점 샛별이’ (1,101,687) // Ji Chang-wook 
15. MBC ‘Kkondae Intern 꼰대인턴’ (902,307) // Park Hae-jin 

mini-series (10-50 episodes) | Network (KBS2, MBC, SBS, JTBC, tvN) | January 1 to June 30 | rating agency: Nielsen Korea

0CF464AF-1CE4-40F5-86E4-63EBE29E1985.png

SBS drama ‘Romantic Doctor, Mr Kim 2’
21D13976-6022-43BA-AE20-91DDE3C4E01A.jpg

5. Hallyu resurges in Japan amid diplomatic rift

Spoiler

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/07/398_293277.html
Hallyu resurges in Japan amid diplomatic rift

By Park Ji-won | 2020-07-23

19387B4F-6354-4ECF-941A-AB77376AD4BF.jpg

Fan base for Korean culture continues to expand on COVID-19, Netflix

Culture is an integral part of a country's soft power, and can sometimes exercise greater influence on other people than so-called hard power, such as economic superiority and official diplomacy. 

This idea is well illustrated in the recent resurgence of hallyu or the Korean wave in Japan, with Korean pop culture once again sweeping Japanese people off their feet despite diplomatic feuds between the two neighboring countries over historical and trade issues.

BTS continues to rewrite history in K-pop music, topping Japan's Oricon chart for six consecutive days with its fourth Japanese album "Map of the Soul: 7 ― The Journey" as of Wednesday by selling 564,000 copies. The top three videos on top 10 lists with Netflix Japan were Korean dramas Tuesday; "Crash Landing on You" topped the list, while "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" and "Itaewon Class" came in second and third, respectively.

Japanese media are calling the resurgence of Korean music and dramas in Japan "the third wave of hallyu."

Japan has been an epicenter for hallyu. Beginning in the late 1990s with the unprecedented popularity of the KBS TV series "Winter Sonata," the boom there has prospered in three distinct phases ― each of which evolved with striking changes in the characteristics of fandom, including the broadening of the fan base with the inclusion of new age groups.

Middle-aged housewives, who were mesmerized by actor Bae Yong-joon, were the founders of the hallyu boom in the neighboring country. The first wave (from the late 1990s to the late 2000s) was a phenomenon among the married women who were nostalgic about first love.

The second wave began in the mid-2010s with the strong showing of K-pop bands on Japan's music charts. Boy band TVXQ and girl groups SNSD and KARA were the most popular groups that broadened the hallyu fan base into teenagers and women in their 20s joining forces, as well as men who "loved" girl groups.

K-pop superstars BTS have been a game changer for the business in Japan, opening the third wave of the phenomenon. The seven-member boy band, along with girl band TWICE, has drastically expanded the hallyu fandom to almost all age groups. Addictive dramas and well-made movies such as "Crash Landing on You" and "Parasite," broadened the industry landscape. In the ongoing third phase, hallyu is no longer a subculture ― it has joined the mainstream of pop culture in Japan. 

Japanese singer Yukika said the third wave of the hallyu boom in Japan is real, not media hype. 

"One of my acquaintances who would be the last man I expect to enjoy Korean culture started watching Korean dramas. I was also recommended Crash Landing on You," the 27-year-old Japanese K-pop singer based in Korea, said during a phone interview with The Korea Times, Monday. 

She released her first album "Seoul Lady," Tuesday, which expresses her hopes as a dream-seeker in Seoul. Yukika moved to Korea to become a singer in 2016 after working as an actress and voice actress in Japan.

"When I was in my elementary school, people of my mother's age liked Korean dramas. When I was in high school, SNSD and Kara were very popular among my generation including me. Korean cosmetics were also very popular. I was always very interested in the industry. So when I had a chance to participate in a Korean audition program, I didn't hesitate to apply."

Yukika was one of many who moved to Seoul to become a star in the K-pop industry. For them becoming popular in the Korean market also means becoming popular internationally as many entertainment companies put Japanese trainees under their education system to help them become an entertainer who can perform in Korea and overseas as well.

Unlike fans in the first and second wave, experts say Japanese hallyu fans now stay unfazed by the fallout from Korea-Japan diplomatic tensions.

President Lee Myung-bak's Dokdo visit in 2012 poured cold water on Japanese fans, according to a Japanese journalist based in Seoul.

"Japanese Korean culture fans used to insist on remaining stuck in the past when the political and diplomatic situations between the countries deteriorated such as when then President Lee Myun-bak visited the Dokdo Islets in 2012. Korean singers and actors were not shown on TV and Japanese broadcast companies didn't air programs featuring Korean culture," reporter-turned-author Aya Narikawa told The Korea Times, Monday. The former Asahi Shimbun reporter is now a culture critic for KBS and contributes articles to Japanese media.

"But after spending years of such turbulence, Japanese fans started to care less about changes in the political situation, because these would continue anyway, and started to enjoy what they liked regardless."

This year, the COVID-19 pandemic and Netflix have given a a boost to hallyu in terms of adding fans, as many people had to stay home and they watched Korean stars' shows and dramas through the international video streaming service.

"Parasite and Korean dramas released through Netflix helped broaden the hallyu fan base in Japan, and now it is a phenomenon for Japanese men, too. This is progress, considering that K-pop and dramas were "consumed" by women and younger people in the past. Now it is broadly accepted regardless of gender and generation…... Even elementary school students like K-pop stars such as BTS and TWICE," Narikawa said.

She pointed out that people are more exposed to Korean culture by consuming free online content, which is lacking in the Japanese market due to intellectual property concerns.

"More Japanese people, especially the younger generation watch Korean dramas and movies on various online media such as YouTube and they no longer watch TV broadcasts or read newspapers. They simply pick and choose what they like to consume. During a pandemic, the origin of content is meaningless. Also, the K-culture industry is actively releasing works online for free and stars also actively communicate with fans directly online, meaning Japanese people are more exposed to hallyu content."

Some said that many Japanese think Korean content is simply more entertaining than that of Japan.

"Some Japanese still prefer Japanese music and feel more intimacy with Japanese stars, but when it comes to skills and talent, it is obvious that Korean performers and Korean content are way better. Once Japanese people see well-trained K-pop bands or watch Korean dramas, they find it difficult to watch Japanese dramas or listen to Japanese music," Kyoko Hamahira, a radio DJ in Kobe, said Tuesday. She used to live in Korea and Japan commuting weekly by plane, until the COVID-19 pandemic forced her to stay in Japan.

Hamahira is optimistic about the future of hallyu in Japan.

"Korean culture is no longer a boom or a subculture in Japan. It is mainstream … Of course, there is a group of people who are not open-minded to Korea. They don't watch and see Korean culture. But, the third wave was so powerful this time that these radical people find it difficult to spread hatred about Korea. If Korean entertainment agencies continue to create such quality content, I think no one can stop hallyu," Hamahira said.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, peggygordon said:

Awww...we've got another update IG video.

Happy working to our queen 

@gm4queen please show me which rules point number said we can't embed IG post??

As long as I know if we want to provide more that 3 pictures we should show in hidden content.

But If there's a new rules please let me know 

Edited by Sushimi
Do not quote emoji gifs, thanks
  • Like 1

The content is not new but it is still nice to read and hear about SYJ's possible participation in a Hollywood movie from different media platforms....

KOFIC:

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/news.jsp?pageIndex=1&blbdComCd=601006&seq=5375&mode=VIEW&returnUrl=&searchKeyword=

Hollywood Project Woos SON Ye-jin and LEE Sun-kyun

Jul 17, 2020
  • Writerby Pierce Conran
  • View383

Korean Stars Offered Parts in New Film by Director Andrew NICCOL

seAYobHItrKIVXtAKada.jpg

SON Ye-jin and LEE Sun-kyun have received offers to star alongside Avatar star Sam WORTHINGTON in the upcoming film Cross from Hollywood director Andrew NICCOL.

Cross will take place in the future in a multiracial country which is divided by a border that separates it into a rich side and a poor one. SON’s character is a woman on the poor side who becomes a single mother when her husband dies during an attempt to cross the border. LEE would play the ruthless chief of border protection while Sam WORTHINGTON is on board as a man on the wealthy side of the divide.

Director NICCOL, who is known for his directorial debut Gattaca, the arms dealer thriller Lord of War and the sci-fi action In Time, as well as his script for the modern classic The Truman Show, has been developing the project for a decade and took inspiration from a recent visit to Korea.

SON has been a major star in Korea for close to two decades, having featured in beloved melodramas such as Lover’s Concerto (2002), The Classic (2003) and A Moment to Remember (2004) before reinventing herself as a versatile performer through the swashbuckling action film The Pirates (2014), the acclaimed thriller The Truth Beneath (2016) and the epic period drama The Last Princess (2016). She most recently starred in the fantasy romantic drama Be With You (2018), the hostage thriller THE NEGOTIATION (2018) and the hit series Crash Landing on You.

LEE Sun-kyun, another long-established industry veteran, has divided his time between commercial films such as Helpless (2012) and A Hard Day (2014) and independent works such as Paju (2009) and several Hong Sangsoo films, including Our Sunhi (2013). His career hit a peak last year as he was part of the award-winning sensation PARASITE. LEE was one of the recipients of the Best Ensemble Award from the Screen Actors Guild for the film, which went on to win the Academy Awards for Best Picture, Director, Original Screenplay and International Film.

Filming for Cross is set to commence in March 2021 and will including sequences shot in Korea

SBS Morning Wide:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

A gentle reminder

Instagram embed posts are strictly forbidden until further notice because as of the first week of June 2020, a US court's preliminary ruling of a case has determined that Instagram does not grant any sub-license to embed content for commercial usage. 

Moderators have the right of hiding Instagram embed posts without notice & are now authorized to give out warning points at their discretion to members who are still posting Instagram embed content.

Thank you,

gm4queen

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyForLove said:

Friends!! Please vote for her on King's choice! She has been dethroned to Number 2. Come on, we can do it!!! we got 9 days!!!! 

I think it bcoz HB fans don't like binjin shipping. So they give dislike to SYJ voting... This is what worries me. 

Glad the forum is online again. Sometimes forum crashes cause a lot of loss.

I watched Lover's Concerto again.

Spoiler

I think I can't watch it any more because, although the storytelling and acting are good, it is so sad. Plus, I can't take movies with Lee Eun Ju where she dies. Her last movie The Scarlett Letter should be classified as horror.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 11:16 PM, Helena said:

Result of ‘Favorite Korean Wave Stars’ survey by Japanese weekly magazine ‘Shukan Asahi’ (週刊朝日

Most Favorite Korean Wave Actor [from July 24, 2020 issue: Actor]

Most Favorite Korean Wave Drama [July 31, 2020 issue]

1. ‘Rooftop Prince’ (2012) - 750 votes // TVXQ.JYJ’s Park Yoochun
2. ‘Goblin’ (2016~2017) - 475 votes // Gong Yoo
3. ‘Crash Landing on You’ (2019~2020) - 465 votes
4. ‘You’re Beautiful’ (2009) - 425 votes // Jang Geun-suk
5. ‘Stairway to Heaven’ (2003~2004) - 345 votes // Choi Ji-woo & Kwon Sang-woo
6. ‘Itaewon Class’ (2020) - 196 votes // Park Seo-joon 
7. ‘Scarlet Heart Ryeo’ (2016) - 112 votes // Lee Joon-ki 
8. ‘MISA | I’m Sorry, I Love You’ (2004) - 98 votes // So Ji-sub & Im Soo-jung 
9. ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ (2010) - 85 votes // Park Yoochun & Park Min-young 
10. ‘My Name is Kim Sam-soon’ (2005) - 80 votes // Kim Suna

First Korean Wave Drama [July 31, 2020 issue]
1. ‘Winter Sonata’ (2003) - 756 votes // Bae Yong-joon & Choi Ji-woo
2. ‘You’re Beautiful’ (2009) - 548 votes // Jang Geun-suk
3. ‘Stairway to Heaven’ (2003~2004) - 516 votes // Choi Ji-woo & Kwon Sang-woo
4. ‘Goblin’ (2016~2017) - 248 votes // Gong Yoo
5. ‘My Name is Kim Sam-soon’ (2005) - 231 votes // Kim Suna
6. ‘Crash Landing on You’ (2019~2020) - 222 votes
7. ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ (2010) - 187 votes // Park Yoochun & Park Min-young 
8. ‘Beautiful Days’ (2001) - 180 votes // Choi Ji-woo & Ryu Shi-won & Lee Byung-hun 
9. ‘Dae Jang Geum’ (2003) - 162 votes // Lee Young-ae & Ji Jin-hee 
10. ‘Goong’ (2006) - 158 votes // Yoon Eun-hye & Joo Ji-hoon 

Shukan Asahi 週刊朝日 2020-07-31
11E238B4-F790-4F86-9E37-FA7790A8CED9.jpg

EA229F72-9D98-422C-9AD9-C1D2AC056106.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OSEN | 2020. 07. 27
Lee Min Ho becomes "hottest" star overseas thanks to YouTube, Netflix

2801B2DD-E1C1-4EA1-8864-BD48FA15914F.jpg

http://digitalchosun.dizzo.com/site/data/html_dir/2020/07/27/2020072780091.html

Netizens voted Lee Min Ho as the most popular star among international fans thanks to global video-sharing platforms such as YouTube, Netflix, etc.

According to the results of the "Who is the star well-known overseas thanks to global video platforms like YouTube, Netflix, etc." vote conducted for 7 days from July 19 to July 25 by Exciting DC, run by community portal site DC Inside (Director Kim Yoo Sik) and trend search company Mycelebs, Lee Min Ho took the top spot.

The most-voted star with 6,221 votes (36%) out of 17,100 is Lee Min Ho - the actor who once went viral across Asia and rose to the class of A-list stars with the famous drama "City Hunter". After picking up consecutive achievements with a series of hits namely "The Heirs", "Legend of the Blue Sea", etc., recently, Lee Min Ho is receiving enthusiastic attention in not only Asia but also the world thanks to the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" broadcast via Netflix.

Hyun Bin - the actor who started to be popular through dramas "My Lovely Sam Soon", "Secret Garden", etc. - came runner up with 4,878 votes (29%). He is stirring up many countries, especially Japan, with the drama "Crash Landing on You" airing on Netflix recently.

Third place went to actor Kim Soo Hyun with 3,304 votes (accounting for 19%). Kim Soo Hyun rose to the ranks of Asian stars after earning tremendous love in the Chinese market through 2013's "My Love From the Star". Lately, with "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" - the production marking his comeback after demobilization, the actor is yet again causing a sensation through the small screen.

In addition, the next positions in the top went to actor Son Ye Jin, group BTS, and actor Joo Ji Hoon, respectively.

OSEN = Reporter Park So Young comet568@osen.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Quick question - Ye Jin is credited as being having lots of ideas for scenes, etc. Is she branching up to be a director or is this uncommon in South Korea for a female? I can see her being much better than first time directors in some of the movies/dramas she acted in.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2020/07/28/entertainment/television/Mr-Trot-Itaewon-Class-Crash-Landing-on-You/20200728171900361.html
'Crash Landing on You,' 'Mr. Trot' most talked about online in first half

0DFD5BBA-49EE-4DB4-A39E-76FC01468DBA.jpg

TvN’s hit drama series "Crash Landing on You" (2019)

TvN’s hit drama series "Crash Landing on You" (2019) and TV Chosun’s hit singing competition show "Mr. Trot" (2020) were the most talked about TV shows online in the first half of the year, according to a survey conducted by the Korea Communications Commission (KCC) on Tuesday.

Apart from audience ratings, the KCC has been conducting an internet survey on TV programs since 2018 to present qualitative values such as viewers' response and preferences. The survey includes indicators such as internet postings, comments and the number of views on related clips.

Following tvN series "Crash Landing on You,” JTBC's "The World of the Married” (2020) and JTBC’s “Itaewon Class" (2020) were the most talked about drama series online in the first half of the year.

According to the KCC, Lee Jung-hyuk's character played by Hyun Bin in "Crash Landing on You” was a hot topic, while "The World of the Married" had a lot of responses related to its fast-paced and suspenseful storytelling. For "Itaewon Class," its original soundtrack garnered attention.

A91AC81F-8D31-464C-98E6-E80F89681E38.jpg

TV Chosun's hit singing competition show "Mr. Trot" (2020)

Among entertainment programs, TV Chosun's "Mr. Trot," "Taste of Mr. Trot," and "The Call Center of Love" received the most internet responses in the first half of the year.

EBS's "Giant Peng TV" was the most talked about online among educational shows aired between April and June.

BY KIM YEON-AH   [kim.yeonah@joongang.co.kr] 

————

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2020/07/what-were-most-buzzed-about-dramas-and.html

What were the most buzzed about dramas and varieties online this year?

Article:  Im Young Woong and Mr. Trot, World of the Married, Paengsoo... the hottest on the internet of the first half of the year

Source: Joongang Ilbo via Naver

Top dramas of the first half of 2020
E024E6DA-BBEB-43EA-B049-9A13C662868A.jpg
1. Crash Landing on You (12k posts, 75k comments, 12.8m views, 10.8% viewer rating)
2. World of the Married (10k posts, 71k comments, 9.8m views, 14.9% viewer rating)
3. Itaewon Class (7k posts, 40k comments, 5.1m views, 10.3% viewer rating)
4. Love is beautiful, life is wonderful (611 posts, 3k comments, 1m views, 26.7% viewer ratings)
5. Once Again (890 posts, 10k comments, 1.9m views, 25% viewer ratings)
6. Unasked Family (373 posts, 1k comments, 457k views, 23.1% viewer ratings)

Top variety shows of the first half of 2020
1. Mister Trot
2. Mister Trot's Taste
3. Romantic Call Centre
4. Giant PaengTV

1. [+220, -13] Im Young Woong's song touches the heart~ I haven't missed one episode of 'Mister Trot' and I'm still watching reruns.

2. [+153, -11] Im Young Woong and 'Mister Trot' have changed my life. I've never liked a celebrity before but I've been supporting him ever since. He's become my vitamin every single day, and life has just gotten so much happier. He must be glad I'm his fan.

3. [+124, -6] Of course 'Mister Trot' is the highest ranking variety show of 2020. With Im Young Woong at the center, all of the trotmen have shined, and I thank all of them for helping us through these difficult times. Looking forward to more shining activity from Im Young Woong.

4. [+74, -8] It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say Im Young Woong has led this, he's the best

5. [+53, -5] Im Young Woong pretty much led this on his own...

• Like 6