[variety] We Got Married 우리 결혼했어요

Guest jahye

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sad that they had a good concept going with the  seasons of the island and now it is gone. Unless they have an agreement early on to bring them back for the next season - if there is one - they might have other shows that will conflict.

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a while - didn't really feel like it with the show ending, plus Sleepy's fandom has been taking my time.

Here's a rough translation of Sleepy's comments about WGM ending from today's Heyo TV broadcast:

Spoiler

(WGM talk starts from 9:30, the bit I translated from 11:30)

D: How do you feel now that your married life is ending?

S: It ended when I had not prepared for it, so it's a bit sad as well.. but I don't think of it as end, because we will see each other often.

D: WGM was doing a dinner for their last broadcast and I had a dinner in Sangam as well so I was passing by. I met Gookju and asked her what she was doing and she said "My husband is there". Then I felt you two had got a lot closer.

S: Right? We had got closer while doing radio as well... We did the same corner, you know.

D: We made the logo song as well.

S: So there's a different meaning with the three of us. We two (him and Dindin) were close before doing broadcasts together as well, so there's a special meaning when we do things together like this.

Then Dindin asks Sleepy to send GJ a video letter, which Deamytrust translated on instagram:

Sleepy said the same thing about walking the flowery path in his Instagram today as well.

Also, since there were some people who were interested in Sleepy's music career in this thread, I'll post his new song (it came out Apr 27th)  under the cut. Get it on iTunes if you like it!

Spoiler

@stelmosfire thank you, as usual, you provide great Sleepy updates =D

his new song, nice! (kinda justin timberlake vibe with some michael jackson "Love Never Felt so Good" vibe)  from what I got from the few english phrases here and there, he's saying - just do what you want , he doesn't care anymore, life's a richard simmons and then you die (LOL! so true!) his life is so beautiful bec she's so beautiful?

interesting!!! Did he write it? Wonder how it's doing in the charts.

your translation of that interview, glad he said he wasn't ready for it to end. It was kinda obvious from the last episode I watched (I still haven't seen the latest) esp that scene when he tried so hard to hold her hand, it took him 3 steps!!! LOL GJ said she was kinda disappointed but I thought - would it have killed her to meet him half-way??? she could have just moved her hand closer or just sort of held her hand out?? Why does it  have to be him to make all the moves esp since most of the time she seems to shy away or kinda avoid it?Bec they have prior history of being friends , it takes more guts to make a move esp since she's got a strong personality too ...Ahh I'm just frustrated bec now time's up! Game over!

I have a sneaking suspicion that they will just go back to the way they were, closer, but still just friends, without the push that being on WGM gives them.

I think (just guessing) that this is what Frustrates Sleepy too.

Would be happy to be proved wrong though LOL!

I agree with what @colourgrae  said, the way they are ending WGM is not well done:confounded:, kinda ugly, considering how long the shoe has been a part of their line up. If they had to end, more notice would have been nice so they can finish up and prepare the artists better.

Also they  could have needed with a bang and celebrate the show's history instead of this whimper-like ending. They could have done a special broadcast and invited all the past couples that could come and talk abt their experience with the show. They never really had a chance to do a tell-all show and since the show is ending (I'm assuming it is ) so there will never be a more perfect opportunity to just bare it all - good and bad I guess. They could let Misun talk more abt being the main host of the show since the start instead of just saying "sorry, we're leaving - thanks and bye!" She's been sitting on that couch for 9 yrs! she deserves more IMO.

They can still do the Island couple special and then the following week would be the tell all episode

It would be a nice gift to the die hard fans who've stuck with them for almost a decade!.

I agree with @Lmangla , it does look like the higher ups just handed down the decision without consult from the ones who work on the show or if they did , they didn't listen to them. It's all a numbers and money game to them anyway. But still like Adele said "It matters how it ends" :cold_sweat::triumph::smirk:

The ratings might not be great but I think the secondary benefits of the show can be traced from the uplift in the careers of those who have gone on the show and the higher visibility. It cannot be denied that even other celebs at least know of, if not watch the show. They don't seem to have a shortage of celebs who want to go on the show. And a lot of people know of it,even if they don't watch, they probably see the articles etc. And lately , there seems to be an effect on the artists' love lives, they seem to get into a new relationship and go public with it. But again, it isn't numbers so the business guys up top probably don't care....

Also since it isn't as popular, there won't be as much protest from the local audience. It is probably us the international audience who are more bummed abt this:bawling:. What really gets me I think, is instead of trying to fix the problem, they just want to dump it all.:rage:  I guess you can argue, they have been trying but as we've discussed before, the way they went abt it was just misguided and ineffective. They seem to have lucked onto a new formula with the Sleepy Gj couple and the Island couple like others mentioned ...but I guess they decided it was too little too late.

I still think they should go back and review the first seasons during the heyday of the show and see where they've diverged. Might give a clue ...ahh this is making me crazy. :weary: Nothing to be done now.

Are the korean audience protesting even a little the cancellation of the show? If there isn't , then we're done for, friends! I doubt they'll haul it back for season 5.

The news as they came....abit confusing. But think most likely got season 5 (supposingly with "major restructuring" and unknown hiatus period)....well, still have to wait and see.

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/283694/20170504/we-got-married-cancellation-show-holds-farewell-party-but-mbc-confirms-return-for-season-5.htm

Ya, they end it poorly...why can't they just have a few more episodes to let the couples have better scenerio to say good bye? From the last ep, maybe they suspected or knew...but it's not the same as previous couples where there was an official notice (eg mission envelope) and entire ep devoted to saying good bye.

All the "flowery" talks whenever introducing new couples feel so empty.

I know it's all about viewership and profits....but whoever in MBC handled the decision and even the PDs who maybe not supposed to be blamed.....some of us would remember and have a negative impression. Season 4 might be over....but if there's season 5....

17 hours ago, cdcotr said:

his new song, nice! (kinda justin timberlake vibe with some michael jackson "Love Never Felt so Good" vibe)  from what I got from the few english phrases here and there, he's saying - just do what you want , he doesn't care anymore, life's a richard simmons and then you die (LOL! so true!) his life is so beautiful bec she's so beautiful?

interesting!!! Did he write it?

Yep (with some old friend of Dindin's, if I understood right). The lyrics are really honest, it's like 50% bragging about his life and 50% talking about his hopes and fears. (Also very fanservice-y because he references a lot of things he's said on TV). Deamytrust translated the lyrics too: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTY6xf5DX_f/ (I would have worded things differently in a couple of places but it gives the general meaning well.) No embed because it destroyed the formatting. :/

Wonder how it's doing in the charts.

In a word, badly (which is why fans are trying to plug it). It was promoted very little and I think most people aren't even aware of its existence. Gookju posted about it on her insta as well because Sleepy had sent her a sad message ("It's not in top100").

Also it can't be played on the radio because there are a couple of brand names in the lyrics. Sleepy was asked why he wrote the lyrics that way and he answered "I didn't think that far". Ack.

your translation of that interview, glad he said he wasn't ready for it to end. It was kinda obvious from the last episode I watched (I still haven't seen the latest) esp that scene when he tried so hard to hold her hand, it took him 3 steps!!! LOL GJ said she was kinda disappointed but I thought - would it have killed her to meet him half-way??? she could have just moved her hand closer or just sort of held her hand out?? Why does it  have to be him to make all the moves esp since most of the time she seems to shy away or kinda avoid it?Bec they have prior history of being friends , it takes more guts to make a move esp since she's got a strong personality too ...Ahh I'm just frustrated bec now time's up! Game over!

Yeah the hand-holding scene was so frustrating! She held her hand out for a few seconds but he didn't notice it and she let it fall. There's a moment in the last episode that kind of makes up for it though.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they will just go back to the way they were, closer, but still just friends, without the push that being on WGM gives them.

I think (just guessing) that this is what Frustrates Sleepy too.

Would be happy to be proved wrong though LOL!

I'm still hopeful/delusional... Personally I think the ball's in Sleepy's court now. I think WGM softened Gookju enough that if he asked her to date for real now, she would accept - but I think she's not going to take any steps in that direction herself, and if he spends time dithering over it she will build up her walls again. Sleepy's comment about not seeing this as the end made me more hopeful (though it could be understood in other ways as well). And unfortunately for us I think there's low chance of us finding out if they do date, because I don't think either of them wants a public relationship. 

I haven't watched the other two couples yet.

1 hour ago, stelmosfire said:

Yep (with some old friend of Dindin's, if I understood right). The lyrics are really honest, it's like 50% bragging about his life and 50% talking about his hopes and fears. (Also very fanservice-y because he references a lot of things he's said on TV). Deamytrust translated the lyrics too: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTY6xf5DX_f/ (I would have worded things differently in a couple of places but it gives the general meaning well.) No embed because it destroyed the formatting. :/

In a word, badly (which is why fans are trying to plug it). It was promoted very little and I think most people aren't even aware of its existence. Gookju posted about it on her insta as well because Sleepy had sent her a sad message ("It's not in top100").

Also it can't be played on the radio because there are a couple of brand names in the lyrics. Sleepy was asked why he wrote the lyrics that way and he answered "I didn't think that far". Ack.

If that's the rule, then I guess they don't play bruno mars' "Versace On the Floor" ...which I doubt hey don't, so is it just korean arists? Another form of censorship...Hope his fan base helps promote it. /losing WGM does hurt him esp bec there's one less platform for him to be visible and promote, the others have their own shows and dramas.

2 minutes ago, cdcotr said:

If that's the rule, then I guess they don't play bruno mars' "Versace On the Floor" ...which I doubt hey don't, so is it just korean arists? Another form of censorship...Hope his fan base helps promote it. /losing WGM does hurt him esp bec there's one less platform for him to be visible and promote, the others have their own shows and dramas.

Yeah I'm not sure of the actual rules, is it worse because he mentions a Korean brand (Naver)? And he lost WGM, but he got a steady MC job in a show called Fan PD - he's doing it with APink's Namjoo and probably got it largely thanks to WGM. He keeps promoting himself in it occasionally, haha. And if he does well in SMTM there's going to be a lot of interest in his previous songs as well.

@stelmosfire is he really going on the SMTM show? have no idea what the show entails but I thought he wasn't that good in off the cuff composing his rap lyrics so he might not do so well?

I read the lyrics and wow! he wasn't pulling any punches! LOL  It's very "Sleepy"! LOL - honest,, serving some dissing around but not too much, kinda cocky but not too much, self-aware, acknowledging of the challenges he faces but ever optimistic.

There were some references I wasn't sure abt but kinda get the gist - it's a bit of an "in your face" to his detractors, saying he's going to keep doing what he wants, no matter what others say or how the business changes. That's what I got anyway. I really like how self-aware he is, saying he's been around a while and see how the scene has changed and how new younger rappers are coming up and overtaking him famous folks ignoring his calls. I wonder if he would take an outright refusal better than someone ignoring his calls?  I wonder if he worries that having to do entertainment type activities instead of just his music may take away from this music career? This is what I thought he meant by his complaint for 2017 but I'm not sure if I understood the lyrics right.

What's  his new show like?

2 hours ago, cdcotr said:

is he really going on the SMTM show?

Yes! He auditioned for it a week ago.

have no idea what the show entails but I thought he wasn't that good in off the cuff composing his rap lyrics so he might not do so well?

That's what I said earlier and honestly I'm not 100% without worries... (I'm not sure how the show actually works either, I've only seen a few episodes but there seems to be a strong luck element as well) But he's been talking about SMTM for so long, I'm glad he's just getting it over with this year. He was asking for opinions on Instagram and someone posted "It's better to have regrets because of something you did than something you didn't do" and I agree with that. He also said in his application that he won't do freestyle - which I'm glad about, at least he's aware of his own weaknesses. He might do well too, he has the basic skills/experience so if he's able to perform to his own level I'll be satisfied. (He said on radio that it's surprising that not only him but his fans as well were worried about him going on SMTM. :D)

I read the lyrics and wow! he wasn't pulling any punches! LOL  It's very "Sleepy"! LOL - honest,, serving some dissing around but not too much, kinda cocky but not too much, self-aware, acknowledging of the challenges he faces but ever optimistic.

I know right? His personality/attitude comes through so clearly in it.

There were some references I wasn't sure abt but kinda get the gist - it's a bit of an "in your face" to his detractors, saying he's going to keep doing what he wants, no matter what others say or how the business changes. That's what I got anyway. I really like how self-aware he is, saying he's been around a while and see how the scene has changed and how new younger rappers are coming up and overtaking him famous folks ignoring his calls. I wonder if he would take an outright refusal better than someone ignoring his calls? 

He says he understands why those people do it - because he keeps asking for beats/featuring from people who are busy, and he's not a big enough name. (That's one of the bits I would've translated differently: 존심 상하지 않아 / 잘 알아 내 위치를 I would've translated as "I'm not offended, I know my place well") But he's also said that if he gets famous, he's not going to stop answering people's calls.

I wonder if he worries that having to do entertainment type activities instead of just his music may take away from this music career? This is what I thought he meant by his complaint for 2017 but I'm not sure if I understood the lyrics right.

Yeah, that's what he's been saying lately - he says he's nowadays confident that he has the skills for entertainment, but the thing that makes him most happy is being on a stage rapping, and he hasn't had enough chances to do that lately.

What's  his new show like?

It's a show where fans plan+create fanmeetings for idol groups. It's his first actual MC job AFAIK and he was really nervous in it at first, but he's getting better.

Also @colourgrae posted earlier that he's been looking low-energy in the last WGM episodes - that might well be true. He's had a lot of stuff going on these days.

OK I'm going to bed now :) We seem to have turned this into a Sleepy thread tonight, sorry to everyone else for that.

Guest pink_dolphins

i want more of sleepy and gukjo.... huhuhu :bawling: i hope they will continue their relationship off cam.

I'm sad that there's no more Saturday wgm to ship on our favorite couple's.

I just see it like in the k-dramas wherein, all the couples had a happy ending. There were  no divorces, terminal illness or break ups. Hehe

It was the last ep for the Candy and Sleepy couples....but this coming sat there'll be a special ep for the Island couple only...b'cos the staff felt bad to end their "marriage" so fast.

So is it a culture to personally thank the PD of any show after your last appearance? I know S.korea emphasize alot on respect stuff and i guess it's also for possible future projects.

The PD reminds me abit of Jinkyung of 33 couple.

I watch abit of the raw (below link)....seems like most if not all are flashback or compilation of the island couple's scenes from all previous episodes.

https://openload.co/embed/fQiuCOYGieg/

Btw sidetrack abit, the China version of We Got Married....they called it We Are In Love (around 12 episodes of dating instead of being married). Read that season 3 is starting soon. They are slowly revealing couples info. One couple is actually a real couple (not married yet).

So people start to discuss....some feel couples shouldn't take part b'cos the show will lose the "fresh" feel of 2 persons getting to know each other, viewers would lose interest....but others feel it's more fake with 2 celebrities "dating" for 12 episodes and then nothing happen after that.

What about "mid way"....some ppl who are already very friendly with each other but not yet a couple....well, it could backfire too. 

I just finished watching the last 2 episodes and now I'm even more mad and sad that it's ended. And I feel more cheated bec it seemed like only Sleepy and /gj didn;t really have a proper farewell episode. The Candy couple felt like it was winding down and they had that conversation on that float/boat on the Han River where they kinda talked abt their run on WGM, similar to how other couples have ended their stints before. That was a nice romantic activity, better bec they were alone on that small float/boat. To those who followed this couple closer than I did, do you think they are going out for real?

The Island couple had a short bit like that when they took that last walk on the island, and they had a whole episode to recap their journey from day 1.  Which really wasn't necessary, people could just watch those again. So except for that last walk and the letters they gave each other, it seemed a wasted opportunity for WGM, an hour they could have had all 3 couple in the studio and spend an hour just talking abt their time on the show. Or at least given GJ and Sleepy some tme for closure. It was disappointing. I thought there would be new footage since they had time I think.

Esp since it really did seem like there was a breakthrough since that night in Japan. GJ's friends all said something must have happened LOL!. There definitely was a bit of a difference in both. Don't know if it's bec it was Sleepy's turn to plan the trip or bec they were in a foreign country and he seemed more familiar, or if soemthing really did happen ...but it seemed to me that she didn't have the usual walls in place, wasn't on the defense as usual and was content to let him lead. I'm really frustrated that they are ending it now and ending it just like that.

It was nice to hear how supportive Sleepy's dad was when she had those nasty comments abt her. It was also touching and nice of Sleepy to actually say it out loud that he knows and appreciates what she's done for him or all the good that's happened to him since they became husband and wife. or maybe even before that, since they met.

These 2 couples seem to me to have an actual chance in the real world if they give it a chance and go for it. I wonder if Choi Min Young will, he seems like one who will do what he wants without a care of what others think, and will just go for it...I wonder if there was enough time to build a connection between them. It really looked natural when they were holding hands on that last walk, they really looked like a real couple just out for a walk before going to bed, natural, comfortable but aware of each other..

I don't know if there would be season 5 , probably not, or it would be changed to unrecognizable levels...LOL, being too pessimistic? maybe...

It's probably unrealistic but I hope we can keep this thread alive.

For me, the Candy couple also didn't feel like a proper goodbye....they merely reflect abit on their past (some previous couples also did that in middle part of their "period")....didn't say it's the last episode, goodbyes or promise to keep in touch etc....i mean the usual last episode is like u will get a last mission card or being told by someone personally....then have a whole episode of at least 20mins to say good bye. The Candy couple still had to visit friends, being congratulated on their wedding....and the next moment, "divorced" after a boat ride? Even that wasn't mentioned....just showing the boat floating away.

This rushed ending (together with the other 2 couples, i thought the Island couple will have a lot of new footage) not only reflect the insensitivity of MBC...but also their professionalism. How much is it to just film one more full proper good-bye episode?

At 1st i thought it's some scandal thing that forced them to end it so soon....but i doubt so.

I have a thought. Not totally original. Maybe some station can do a show while they 1st show a celebrity getting to talk to someone on the phone. The voice can be distorted to disguise it. The hint is that the other party is one of their wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend....from either WGM or any drama they did before. Would be fun to let viewers guess 1st. Ya, it's close to My Ear's Candy. Eventually they would meet up. I think viewers would still be interested to see how they react after their WGM periods or dramas....esp those "separated" after 1 yr or more...or those not known to keep in contact. Of course, can't deny the possibility of faking/acting.

Just sharing this here. Recently i watched an interview clip with a variety show PD in China. Very in-depth info.

Spoiler

He mentioned in any variety show, there are always roles....some are decided already and they chose suitable celebrities to play it...eg the hardworking father, the caring mother, the lazy comical son etc....or sometimes the celebrities themselves reveal certain behaviour during filming and they would edit to focus on it. Sometimes the effects of editing is really powerful.....not only on hosts/guests etc....but also time. Eg one show they post-production decided a certain activity should happen in the early morning instead of bright noon....to keep the interest, to manipulate the sequence....they even lower down the overall brightness of that clip to make viewers think it's really early morning. 

Archived