Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

3 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Not sure how the rating trend audience pleasers work in SK. Maybe general consensus is Fantasy Sells more than Action in those terms.Or a Romance Drama/Family Drama is more preferred option than Hospital Dramas. It is all about how each prod house channel profits. Just a wild guess.

Woman stories is mostly trend in Korea in last years because woman watch dramas more and they bring rating.So JTBC dramas were hit in Korea ( like Strong Woman, Woman of Dignity, The World of The Married, Sky Castle, Misty etc. ) I think JTBC really understood public's concern so they make woman stories , all of them have high rating

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Knetz always criticize low rating but they think simple always, producers  think different because they think just money winning things,  a drama can be with high rating in Korea but if actors aren't known other countries , this dramas sales low always, it earns just in Korea ,if we compare a Hallyu actor dramas it , Hallyu actor dramas sales are higher than less popular actors dramas always , for example last year Sky Castle was hit in Korea but how many international drama fan know it?( I watched so I know it) And it was sold how many countries? So producers choice firstly Hallyu actors.Even drama rating is low, they earn from other countries sales

Hi @leeminhosny I think what you wrote is really interesting. I watched Sky Castle and thought it was brilliant but it was an ensemble piece with no lead star so probably didn’t have much to excite an international audience.
So does that mean it is like a 2 tiered system in that you have your Hallyu stars who will get the big budget, top writer/ producer offers and a second tier of actors who will be offered dramas that are more for the Korean home market. And would most non-hallyu actors have to audition for roles.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scrawford said:

4. It's another super big budget drama. And while LMH earned big budget drama and has been in Big budget drama, i feel like this will be another overhype drama that people will have such high expectation and it will get criticized.

I don't think it will be overhyped Won Bin is not hallyu star and his mainly a home ground actor for the home market exclusively. He has no presence elsewhere. Creating big buzz for a drama alot of things have to come together in order to make such a drama. I can give you examples DOTS, LOTBS, TKEM, MLFTS, CLOY etc etc. Already ethblished hallyu stars pairings. 

Main while Mr.Sunshine is another example it was big budget but really failed to create any buzz or fanfare outside of the local market because Lee Byung hun is not a hallyu star nor has presence outside of the local cinama chain despite the drama being 33m USD and he may have appeared in some Hollywood movies but he had bit part roles where he never got noticed while CLOY did like 50 times better overseas then Mr.Sunshine and even Itaewon Class did 40 times better then Mr-Sunshine outside of korea despite the budget because 3 Hallyu stars were attached to these projects. Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin in CLOY and Park Seo Jun in Itaewon class While TKEM did like 100-times better because alot of things aligned for it the big cast, big budget, the writer, genre etc etc. The writer alone and big budget itself can't create worldwide fanfare example DOTS it was not only the budget but alot of things aligned correctly for that show casting two hallyu stars in their prime in SJK and SHK. 

The question is how did these hallyu stars remain for years? they are main stay with the International audience because they keep releasing something it's like building a house You build it bit by bit then you have a good report and recognition with the real end consumers 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

59 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Knetz always criticize low rating but they think simple always, producers  think different because they think just money winning things,  a drama can be with high rating in Korea but if actors aren't known other countries , this dramas sales low always, it earns just in Korea ,if we compare a Hallyu actor dramas it , Hallyu actor dramas sales are higher than less popular actors dramas always , for example last year Sky Castle was hit in Korea but how many international drama fan know it?( I watched so I know it) And it was sold how many countries? So producers choice firstly Hallyu actors.Even drama rating is low, they earn from other countries sales

Very good points!! Casting Hallyu star LMH can sell drama to many countries. After TKEM global success and world ranking on Netflix, I bet producers are looking to work with LMH because he is more popular than even The Heirs time. LMH is Netflix and global material. 

50 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Woman stories is mostly trend in Korea in last years because woman watch dramas more and they bring rating.So JTBC dramas were hit in Korea ( like Strong Woman, Woman of Dignity, The World of The Married, Sky Castle, Misty etc. ) I think JTBC really understood public's concern so they make woman stories , all of them have high rating

Yes, very good point. Female centered stories are becoming hot trend in SK. They go with experienced and talented actresses who deliver message about society and other stuff. Dark dramas with exciting stories. I saw after The World of the married, there is a new drama 'Elegant friend', which seems to be following same pattern. SK drama go into certain pattern and then again new pattern. However, the type of drama with Hallyu star casting will always be trend because that is how they can make a lot of money. With Netflix wave now Hallyu stars are even more sought after because they have fans in many countries and those fans pay to watch their dramas. 

LMH has over 65 M followers and the increase in his follower is insanely high. Marketing wise and Story wise, Netflix is best for LMH. A drama with 1-2 season is awesome. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lindyloo421 said:

Hi @leeminhosny I think what you wrote is really interesting. I watched Sky Castle and thought it was brilliant but it was an ensemble piece with no lead star so probably didn’t have much to excite an international audience.
So does that mean it is like a 2 tiered system in that you have your Hallyu stars who will get the big budget, top writer/ producer offers and a second tier of actors who will be offered dramas that are more for the Korean home market. And would most non-hallyu actors have to audition for roles.

Kdramas experience crisis since Chine Hallyu Ban, they lost biggest market ,so dramas eps split two parts ,they should receive adv. among two parts ,so producers need more other contries markets and so they need Hallyu actors.They don't earn enough in Korea.

43 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

there is a new drama 'Elegant friend', which seems to be following same pattern.

I saw it yesterday I said same :lol:

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, scrawford said:

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/06/won-bin-draws-negative-attention-after-turning-down-drama-role-in-the-immortal

When i saw this article, for a hot minute i was like "Oh hey maybe they should offer this role to LMH" but then i decided it may not be the best decision why?

1. One wrong move and K-entz will start comparing him with won Bin. Not good

2. It's a another fantasy story and very similar storyline with Goblin. TKEM already suffer that comparison as it is.

3. It's the same PD as TKEM, Jung Ji-Hyun. Lets move on shall we

4. It's another super big budget drama. And while LMH earned big budget drama and has been in Big budget drama, i feel like this will be another overhype drama that people will have such high expectation and it will get criticized.

There you go, i created some news for us :)

Same with me. LMH is the first name appear on my mind when I read tht news. And 100% agree with ur points. It will suffer another comparison if LMH took this project. I dont think I can stand anothet cycle reading all those immature reviews & feedbacks. Like how I did with TKEM :persevere: With new wave to his popularity, I believe people will be more critical towards his next project. 

I hope LMH next project will be a well written script +  excellent PD tht able to execute the script and the project become so succesful to the point it able to wash away the negatives vibes brought by knetzs to TKEM. :glasses:

• Like 6
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Miss Pizza said:

Same with me. LMH is the first name appear on my mind when I read tht news. And 100% agree with ur points. It will suffer another comparison if LMH took this project. I dont think I can stand anothet cycle reading all those immature reviews & feedbacks. Like how I did with TKEM :persevere: With new wave to his popularity, I believe people will be more critical towards his next project. 

I hope LMH next project will be a well written script +  excellent PD tht able to execute the script and the project become so succesful to the point it able to wash away the negatives vibes brought by knetzs to TKEM. :glasses:

But what about him doing a project on Netflix only? LMH did prove his acting chops once again in TKEM. At first I cared about netizen but I figured now matter what they are always salty. Did you read their comments about CLOY? I want him to do a project on Netflix with 2 seasons. It will be successful on Netflix. Korean fans can also watch it on Netflix. Korean viewers are too spoiled with all these free dramas to watch which is why they always whine and expect too much. LMH along with cast and crew can also feel at ease without worrying and enjoying international and local success. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Miss Pizza said:

I hope LMH next project will be a well written script +  excellent PD tht able to execute the script and the project become so succesful to the point it able to wash away the negatives vibes brought by knetzs to TKEM. 

Your paying attention to something that is not worthy to pay attention to. TKEM was a smash hit worldwide. He should come out with TKEM 2 season. Look how much he gained. I don't think he could have acheived what he did now with a Rom-com or makjang aside from the KING. TKEM S2 will be the best decision he will ever make in his career. I think it will naturally grow. It really created something big online and as long time fan haven't seen something to that magnitude for a very long time and Thats exactly what he needs not some boring drama with another PD who will bump out some random rom-com that is just so yesterday and waste of time 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

But what about him doing a project on Netflix only? LMH did prove his acting chops once again in TKEM. At first I cared about netizen but I figured now matter what they are always salty. Did you read their comments about CLOY? I’m kinda tired of worrying about what others say about LMH. That is why I want him to do a project on Netflix with 2 seasons. It will be successful on Netflix. Korean fans can also watch it on Netflix. Korean viewers are too spoiled with all these free dramas to watch which is why they always whine and expect too much. LMH along with cast and crew can also feel at ease without worrying and enjoying international and local success. 

I would also love to see him do project with Netflix. By his status now, people shud pay to watch his drama, thats how exclusive he is. :coolshades:

6 minutes ago, Flloy House said:

Your paying attention to something that is not worthy to pay attention to. TKEM was a smash hit. He should come with TKEM 2 season. Look how much he gained. I don't think he could have acheived with a Rom-com or makjang aside from the KING. TKEM S2 will be the best decision he will ever make in his career. I think it will naturally grow. It really created something big online. Thats exactly what he needs not some boring drama with another PD who will bump out some random rom-com that is just so yesterday

I guess I couldnt help tho :sweatingbullets: Sometimes it just to much too ignore. I really hv a high respect to him and other celebrities. Even me as a fan, reading tht kind of thing really exhausting, couldnt imagine being in their place.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Miss Pizza said:

I would also love to see him do project with Netflix. By his status now, people shud pay to watch his drama, thats how exclusive he is. :coolshades:

I guess I couldnt help tho :sweatingbullets: Sometimes it just to much too ignore. I really hv a high respect to him and other celebrities. Even me as a fan, reading tht kind of thing really exhausting, couldnt imagine being in their place.

It's completely normal. It comes with the territory of being a celebrity that is completely normal

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Miss Pizza said:

I would also love to see him do project with Netflix. By his status now, people shud pay to watch his drama, thats how exclusive he is.

agree!!:glasses: They should pay from now. No more free episodes! 

9 minutes ago, Miss Pizza said:

It is understandable! 

Lets cheer up! :heart4:

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Flloy House said:

Your paying attention to something that is not worthy to pay attention to. TKEM was a smash hit worldwide. He should come out with TKEM 2 season. Look how much he gained. I don't think he could have acheived what he did now with a Rom-com or makjang aside from the KING. TKEM S2 will be the best decision he will ever make in his career. I think it will naturally grow. It really created something big online and as long time fan haven't seen something to that magnitude for a very long time and Thats exactly what he needs not some boring drama with another PD who will bump out some random rom-com that is just so yesterday and waste of time 

I don't think that LMH need KES, I think LMH's any dramas become hit international , (and his dramas became hit always so far, just they didn't aired in Netflix simultaneusly so didn't calculated , somebody doesn't know his popularity and underrates him, his dramas sold other countires highest price before TKEM ) we already know his popularity in Asia, Africa, Europe ,Middle East etc. in official Korea Hallyu survey for many years.Yes TKEM bring him more popularity but somebody talk like that he become famous just because of TKEM and KES, I don't agree this. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

I don't think that LMH need KES, I think LMH's any dramas become hit international , (and his dramas became hit always so far, just they didn't aired in Netflix simultaneusly so didn't calculated , somebody doesn't know his popularity and underrates him, his dramas sold other countires highest price before TKEM ) we already know his popularity in Asia, Africa, Europe ,Middle East etc. in official Korea Hallyu survey for many years.Yes TKEM bring him more popularity but somebody talk like that he become famousy just because of TKEM and KES, I don't agree this. 

Ofcourse not because of KES or TKEM he was already huge. I meant he can use TKEM to increase as a aside thing. It was massive I felt it on social media It was like earthquake

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CallieP said:

But, when did King get to be # 1 on Netflix?

@leeminhosny always posts those and the highest was #7 or #8 so I am confused.  For the whole world for 2020, it was #15. So how is it #1?  Not that I am not ecstatic but did not see this anywhere else.

It is #1 on Netflix in the sense that it is the only Korean content in the Top 10 World Ranking

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, leeminhosny said:

Kdramas experience crisis since Chine Hallyu Ban, they lost biggest market ,so dramas eps split two parts ,they should receive adv. among two parts ,so producers need more other contries markets and so they need Hallyu actors.They don't earn enough in Korea.

I saw it yesterday I said same :lol:

It has now ranked in the 3 major gulf countries completing the 3. I won't be surprised if its ranking also in Kuwait and Bahrain a bit smaller gulf nations but I won't be surprised. It ranks in the 3 major gulf countries in UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. TKEM has ranked around 40-50 countries in the last 8 weeks  

• Like 8
  • Awesome 5

These days i am hanging out in DC too. I like to know what K-Minoz say. There was this K-Minoz saying they are embarrassed to say but they want lmh to come back with a project soon. :lol: by embarrassed they mean that they know lmh worked for 8 months and need to rest but they want another project. :joy:

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=minho&no=688124&_rk=96k&page=1

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

11 minutes ago, Flloy House said:

Ofcourse not because of KES or TKEM he was already huge. I meant he can use TKEM to increase as a aside thing. It was massive I felt it on social media It was like earthquake

I don't think that there is TKEM season 2 , I think final was clear, and KES writes simple romcom in future :lol:probably  and LMH will select other drama probably  because dramas even become hit international they care ratings too.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Time loop said:

It has now ranked in the 3 major gulf countries completing the 3. I won't be surprised if its ranking also in Kuwait and Bahrain a bit smaller gulf nations but I won't be surprised. It ranks in the 3 major gulf countries in UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. TKEM has ranked around 40-50 countries in the last 8 weeks  

And Oman #4 

• Like 6
  • Awesome 3