Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest yani*

Can anyone tell me what 掉漆 means in taiwanese? How come they're saying "the paint is flaking off'"?

kyuhyun says it at 3:06 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4IeZ9r2A80&

Does anyone know the translation to 'When there is a will, there is a way'

I think it starts with 只要有信心...... I don't remember the last bit xD

Not literal translation

有志者事竟成

世上无难事,只怕有心人

there's another one, but i can't find it..."jee yew yao hun some, teet chu maw sing jum" (as long as you have a will, you can even turn a metal rod into a needle)

^

只要有恒心,铁杵磨成针 :)

It literally means that if you have the perseverance, (even an) iron pestle can be ground into a needle.

[Tang Dynasty: Li Bai]

Guest Saeko

Hi,

Are these grammatically correct? -

* 她真太忙工作。

* 你们有学楼多少老师?

Thanks.

Guest ClarieMae

Hey, I know that this is not about language learning at all, but I'm just dying to know how to write a chinese girl's name meaning "Glorious Dewdrop" in chinese characters. I mean, all I know is that the character for dew is 露. 

Please help?

Thanks!

Guest Saeko

* 她真太忙工作。

* 你们有学楼多少老师?

Also, could someone please translate the following into Mandarin? I need to compare notes -

* There are three Chinese professors in their department.

* When do you start classes?

* There are 85 teachers in our Institute altogether. They are not all foreign language teachers.

Thanks. ^_^

* 她真太忙工作。 I'm not sure, what you want to say here. But, I think you want to say She's really busy. I think if you just say She's busy, that would be fine.

* 你们有学楼多少老师?[你們的學樓有多少老師?] Ni Men de xue lou you duo xiao lao shi?

Also, could someone please translate the following into Mandarin? I need to compare notes -

在他們的部門裏有三位教中文的教授。 [Literally, In their department, there are 3 professors that teach Chinese.]

zai ta men de bu men li you san wei jiao zhong wen de jiao shou.

[請問,您]幾時上課? [Polite way to ask, when do you start class.]

qing wen, nin ji shi shang ke?

* There are 85 teachers in our Institute altogether. They are not all foreign language teachers.

在我們學院裏有八十五個老師。 他們全[部]不是外語老師。 [Literally, In our institution, there are 85 teachers.

zai wo men xue yuan li you ba shi wu ge lao shi. ta men quan [bu] bu shi wai yu lao shi.

I hope this helps. >.< My Chinese is actually a little rusty. I'm not super fluent, but I have only taken about 3-4+ years of Chinese and this is what I could "suggest". OH yes, I'm sorry...my keyboard types traditional because I'm only comfy learning/reading traditional.

Guest Saeko

I hope this helps. >.< My Chinese is actually a little rusty. I'm not super fluent, but I have only taken about 3-4+ years of Chinese and this is what I could "suggest". OH yes, I'm sorry...my keyboard types traditional because I'm only comfy learning/reading traditional.

Thanks for your input.

My grammar questions were from my friend, & I wasn't completely sure what she was trying to say because her

grammar was wrong & I don't know too much mandarin at the moment....what she originally said was "她真工作"...do you know what she might be trying to say? If so, could you correct her grammar for me so I can send the correction back to her?

Thank you~.

Thanks for your input.

My grammar questions were from my friend, & I wasn't completely sure what she was trying to say because her

grammar was wrong & I don't know too much mandarin at the moment....what she originally said was "她真工作"...do you know what she might be trying to say? If so, could you correct her grammar for me so I can send the correction back to her?

Thank you~.

Does she mean "Her real job/profession." o_o?

Guest Saeko

Does she mean "Her real job/profession." o_o?

I think she's talking about some girl working hard or something...I don't know lol.><

edit: Or maybe - "She is very busy working".

What she wrote translates to "she really work", right?

Yui has helped you, but I'd just like to offer some refinements.

* 她真太忙工作。

Since you want to say she's busy working/busy with her work: 她忙于工作。 Or 她工作很忙 is also okay.

他们的部门里有三位中国教授。(this assumes the professors are Chinese, not teaching Chinese, which would be Yui's answer)

你几时开课?

我们学院一共有85位老师,但他们不全是外语老师 (or 但他们不全是教外语的)。

• 2 weeks later...

Archived