Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

Guest prisonerzero

How many people have traditional character keyboard set up? I'm learning with traditional characters so obviously I want to type with those on my computer. For some reason, no matter how many different traditional keyboards I install (that were in my Control Panel), they don't work. I'll type and it'll just stick with pinyin. Simple character keyboards are the only thing that will work, but I don't want simplified! I don't know if I should find something on Google or what. I don't want to have to keep using my iPhone.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wingfaith

^

you know there's another system for typing in traditional characters right? Like a different form of pin yin, at least that's how my taiwanese friends type in traditional. People from taiwan don't know pin yin. I recommend you to stick to simplify when it comes to typing because pin yin is alot easier and straight forward.

hope this helps. 

good luck

How many people have traditional character keyboard set up? I'm learning with traditional characters so obviously I want to type with those on my computer. For some reason, no matter how many different traditional keyboards I install (that were in my Control Panel), they don't work. I'll type and it'll just stick with pinyin. Simple character keyboards are the only thing that will work, but I don't want simplified! I don't know if I should find something on Google or what. I don't want to have to keep using my iPhone.

have you tried google pin yin? when you first install it, it shows up as simplified but you can change it to traditional and can still use pin yin. (follow instructions here http://peterandava.com/2007/11/13/how-to-select-traditional-chinese-in-the-google-pinyin-tool/)

Guest prisonerzero

^

you know there's another system for typing in traditional characters right? Like a different form of pin yin, at least that's how my taiwanese friends type in traditional. People from taiwan don't know pin yin. I recommend you to stick to simplify when it comes to typing because pin yin is alot easier and straight forward.

hope this helps. 

good luck

I guess I didn't know since I'm asking lol

This would work if I had any use for/was learning with simplified characters.

I'll just stick with my iPhone except for the times I need Google to change simplified from the book.

have you tried google pin yin? when you first install it, it shows up as simplified but you can change it to traditional and can still use pin yin. (follow instructions here http://peterandava.com/2007/11/13/how-to-select-traditional-chinese-in-the-google-pinyin-tool/)

That's basically what I've been doing with Google Translate.

(Or maybe not, I just woke up and I'm checking this)

I was just wanting something different since I don't want to deal with simplified at all.

I guess I'll just stick with typing on my iPhone.

^ i mean the actual program called "google pin yin", once you install it in your computer it'll show up as simplified but if you follow the instructions i linked to above, you can change it to traditional so that when you type the characters will all be in traditional.

Guest prisonerzero

Ah, yeah, I gotcha now. Sorry, I had just woken up when checking these so I was thinking "What?"

It works now!!! I just wrote some bits and now I'm dancing on my couch (well, on my butt on the couch, tee hee).

謝謝!

hye.. can help me with this?

梧桐叶落秋将暮 行客归程去似云

thanks in advanced

梧桐叶落秋将暮 - basically means one must return to one's roots

行客归程去似云 - the road ahead is as unpredictable as clouds

What are the meanings of these Chinese characters?

打車輪

打茄輪

They both mean the same thing, which is French kiss.

謝謝您的幫助。 :) 我現在知道打車輪和打茄輪是什麼意思。

What are the meanings of these Chinese characters? I frequently hear TVB actors and actresses use these phrases.

一筆勾消

碎屍萬段

Guest x123x

謝謝您的幫助。 :) 我現在知道打車輪和打茄輪是什麼意思。

What are the meanings of these Chinese characters? I frequently hear TVB actors and actresses use these phrases.

一筆勾消

碎屍萬段

I'm not sure if this is the best explanation, but I'll give it a shot.

一筆勾消 means to disregard/cancel everything. This "everything" could really be many things, such as a business deal, a past event etc., so the context should be taken into consideration, and you can't just randomly say 一筆勾消 alone.

eg. 「我們就當這事沒發生過, 一筆勾消。」 (Let's pretend this never happened, and forget about everything.)

碎屍萬段 means "tear into pieces". Usually it's directed to a person, an enemy most likely. It bears meaning of hate.

eg. 「我要將你碎屍萬段!」 (I'm gonna tear you up into pieces!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest RareBreed

下午好!  我现在在上海。。。我的中文不太好。

So I was wondering.... what's the difference between 时间 and 时候?  (and when to use each one etc!) 我不知道。。。

Guest Baatar

下午好!  我现在在上海。。。我的中文不太好。

So I was wondering.... what's the difference between 时间 and 时候?  (and when to use each one etc!) 我不知道。。。

The difference between 时间 and 时候 is that 时间 is a noun meaning 'time' and 时候 is a noun referring to a specific time period.

For example:

我没有时间。I don't have time.

时间走得很快。Time goes by very fast.

有时候,我喜欢看书。Sometimes, I like to read books.

小时候我不喜欢睡觉。I did not like sleeping when I was young.

In these statements, you can see how their usage contrasts with each other. 时候 is usually in some kind of phrase that modifies what time period 时候 refers to. 时间 can be used to refer to time in general and can stand alone. Another difference is that 时间 can be modified by other nouns, whereas 时间 is modified by adjectives and verb phrases.

Archived