Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

一刀兩斷 = completely severe and end something. This is usually used in the context of relationships - friendships, romantic relationships, parent/child relationship, etc. So for example if a girl and guy broke up in "一刀兩斷" context and it was the girl who initiated the whole relationship severing thing, she'd probably not answer his phone calls, ignore/avoid him if they bumb into each other, pretend the guy doesn't exist, etc. There would be no dangling threads from the relationship she'd cling to - ex. if he's suddenly strapped for cash, she wouldn't lend him money because they used to be friends. It's like going back to never knowing each other.

謝謝你的幫忙! 我真的很感謝你! :D I checked out your blog. 我覺得你很漂亮.

Thanks to Aziraphale also. :D

Does anybody know what 不醉無歸 and 今生無悔 mean?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darkmist

@Peekabooitzme

謝謝!你太客氣了〜〜 我希望你喜歡我的小blog哈哈哈 ^^

I'm not too sure about the meaning of "不醉無歸" (I'll try to look it up later hahaha) but I think "今生無悔" refers to having no regrets in this current life - so living life to its fullest I suppose. I think it can also be taken to mean to not be so petty and hold pointless grudges so as to have a happier and less regretful life.

How much Chinese do you speak/write/understand? Because your typing and sentence contruction seems good ^^. Are you just unsure about some of the "4 word phrases" you sometimes see or hear on tvb?

when do you use 的 地 and 得?

的: use it before NOUN (used also to indicate possessiveness)

->   descriptive  phrase - 的 - (noun)

這本書是他

今天天氣很不 好

得: used to indicate the result or the potential of a  verb:

1. verb - 得 - adjective

-->  寫不清楚

2.  adjective -得 - verb

--> 高興跳起來

: normally use it before before verbs after adverbs

-> adverbs -  地 -  (verb)

拼命賺錢

他慢慢走回家

hope it helps~!

Does anybody know what 不醉無歸 and 今生無悔 mean?

不醉無歸 - one does not return home until one is drunk. Used both in happy occasions (celebrations, weddings, parties etc, where guests are not allowed to leave - figuratively - until they've drunk to their hearts' content, and therefore drunk), and sad ones (drowning sorrows in drink).

darkmist has explained the other phrase for you.

Guest Kathy K.

Can you show me some exaples of differences between using 要 and 想? I heard that 要 is considered more childlish. But you can use it while buying or if you really demand something.

And what about the situation when I'm on the market, I see carrots and I'm telling my friend, who's with me, "I want to buy some carrots"? O.o

And and and can you explain to me when do we use 学习 and when only 学?I heard that there is a slight difference considering the position of the verb in the sentence...

How much Chinese do you speak/write/understand? Because your typing and sentence contruction seems good ^^. Are you just unsure about some of the "4 word phrases" you sometimes see or hear on tvb?

謝謝你和Aziraphale的幫助! :D I am not fluent in Cantonese. I am in the process of learning it. There are a lot of phrases in TVB series that I don't understand. A lot of those phrases are idioms. Well anyways, since Chinese New Year is officially here, I would like to say:

春節到了! 恭禧發財! 新年快樂! 兔年啦. 我祝大家萬事如意和身體建康. 大家拿到很多紅包(利是)嗎?

Can you show me some exaples of differences between using 要 and 想? I heard that 要 is considered more childlish. But you can use it while buying or if you really demand something.

And what about the situation when I'm on the market, I see carrots and I'm telling my friend, who's with me, "I want to buy some carrots"? O.o

And and and can you explain to me when do we use 学习 and when only 学?I heard that there is a slight difference considering the position of the verb in the sentence...

要 is more like 'need' and 想 is 'want' as a desire.

So for example: 我想看电视。 I want to watch TV. vs 我要做作业。 I need to do homework.

You don't necessarily have a choice when it comes to 要.

In that situation you'd used 想 unless you need to buy it then you'd say 要.

Guest NYCballad

We had to film a self introduction for my Chinese class. I kept forgetting what I was going to say and I know I make weird facial expressions and noises =_=.  I've been studying Chinese for almost 2 years now. Lmk what mistakes I made por favor? I know I said I had 3 cameras twice...I forgot I said that already lol. 谢谢大家!

Guest AzureCeres

我拜托你不要离开

would that be the correct translation for:

"i asked you not to leave"? o.o

somewhat but  "I'm begging you not to leave" would be more appropriate

Guest bbaumgul

我拜托你不要离开

would that be the correct translation for:

"i asked you not to leave"? o.o

Yes but only in past tense depending on the context/what was preceding (e.g. 当时,我拜托你不要离开), and what AzureCeres said.

We had to film a self introduction for my Chinese class. I kept forgetting what I was going to say and I know I make weird facial expressions and noises =_=.  I've been studying Chinese for almost 2 years now. Lmk what mistakes I made por favor? I know I said I had 3 cameras twice...I forgot I said that already lol. 谢谢大家!

It's not like I caught everything since my Chinese isn't that good >__> but when you said you have a dog it should be 只狗 not 个狗. Not so sure about the 已经两岁多(?)but I'd stick with 了 rather than 多 or simply say 他两岁了. Nothing wrong with the following sentence but I'd go with 他又小又可爱.

Guest NYCballad

It's not like I caught everything since my Chinese isn't that good >__> but when you said you have a dog it should be 只狗 not 个狗. Not so sure about the 已经两岁多(?)but I'd stick with 了 rather than 多 or simply say 他两岁了. Nothing wrong with the following sentence but I'd go with 他又小又可爱.

The 已经两岁多 was meant to be like, he's over 2 years old already. Would that be right? (.___.)

Thanks for the corrections though! :)

what does 爱言叶 mean?

The characters together don't really mean anything, but separately, they are love, speech, leaf (respectively). Perhaps it's a transliteration of a non-Chinese name?

What's the character for "Shine" and "Shining Star" Thanks ^^

Shine - referring to people or things?

Shining star - 闪亮的星星

The 已经两岁多 was meant to be like, he's over 2 years old already. Would that be right? (.___.)

Thanks for the corrections though! :)

If you want to say your dog is over two years old, you can say: 它已经两岁多了.

Also, I couldn't catch some of what you were trying to say because your tones were kinda mixed up, you need to work on pronouncing the words in the right tones. But good effort nevertheless. You mentioned your siblings and that the oldest one is already 25 years old - you should say 最大的已经是二十五岁了 instead of 最高的已经是二十五岁了 (tallest one). Also, when you say you are interested in something, you would say it like this: 我对 ______ 很感兴趣 or you can simply say 我很喜欢 ________.

Hope that helps.

People :D Thanks ^^

This depends on context and is not translated into the same characters all the time. For example, 她会在竞赛中脱颖而出 (she will shine in the competition), 光辉的榜样 (shining example), 擅长于 XX (shines at XX) etc.

Archived