Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

Guest aiambest

Is this surname or abbreviation?

NG is the cantonese surname wu->吳

However, if you are refering to the abbreviation, it is used when a bad take for a drama/film has been taken. It stands for Not Good.

Not only 吴, it can also be for 伍 or 黃 depending on dialect.

Literally, Spring mud. It can also be a girl's name, usually old-fashioned. And it's also apparently the title of a song by Harlem Yu.

Thanks for everyone's help! Not surname but i'm not sure whether it's an abbreviation. I was watching this chinese drama and i can't remember exactly but the guy goes "我没有NG". Something like that and i don't really get what he's saying (>_<)

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bbaumgul

Thanks for everyone's help! Not surname but i'm not sure whether it's an abbreviation. I was watching this chinese drama and i can't remember exactly but the guy goes "我没有NG". Something like that and i don't really get what he's saying (>_<)

NG= Not good=making a mistake while filming.

I think only Asian countries use this?

But the guy was acting in the drama at that moment. There wasn't a mistake so i'm not sure whether it applies/ makes sense?

I'm a native Taiwanese speaker, and the first thing that pops to my head when I hear somebody says "我沒有NG", i take it that he/she's saying he/she did not do anything wrong/mistake.

do you remember why the actor would say that? maybe a brief summary prelude to the actor saying the sentence?

Guest aiambest

I'm a native Taiwanese speaker, and the first thing that pops to my head when I hear somebody says "我沒有NG", i take it that he/she's saying he/she did not do anything wrong/mistake.

do you remember why the actor would say that? maybe a brief summary prelude to the actor saying the sentence?

Thanks for your help! Well the main girl asked her brother to pretend to be her boyfriend when she had to go on this double date with her friends. However, the main girl's brother got really drunk and basically was embarrassing himself and his sister. The main girl then tries to signal to her brother to behave better and that is probably when her brother said something along the lines of 我没有NG.

Guest xiaoru1747228

Thanks for your help! Well the main girl asked her brother to pretend to be her boyfriend when she had to go on this double date with her friends. However, the main girl's brother got really drunk and basically was embarrassing himself and his sister. The main girl then tries to signal to her brother to behave better and that is probably when her brother said something along the lines of 我没有NG.

In Taiwan, they use NG as "no good"

我没有NG basically means "I didn't mess up"

Guest silver_moon525

what does 春泥 mean? its a title of a song

Okay... I'm just going to assume that there's no other deeper meaning besides the most literal meaning:

春 - Spring

泥 - Mud

So maybe during spring rain, there's mud? something like that :P

can someone help me translate this?

佛都有火! 只黑狗系度乱咁吠.

thanx

This is in vernacular Cantonese (ie the spoken form of Cantonese).

Literally: "Even the Buddha has fire! The black dog is right here barking wildly."

What the first part is referring to is the level of anger that the speaker is expressing. The situation is so anger-inducing that even the Buddha would become angry if he had seen it.

In this context, the second part is likely referring to a person who is saying outrageous things. It's common to refer to someone like that as a wild, barking dog, which by the way is extremely insulting.

So in other words, there is someone saying very stupid/outrageous things, and it's making the speaker very very indignant.

What does 交際花, 休妻, and 合離 mean?

交際花 - social butterfly

休妻 - olden day practice of divorcing one's wife (妻 being wife)

合離 - one of the ways of getting a divorce in ancient China

Watching "Can't Buy Me Love" by any chance?

交際花 - social butterfly

休妻 - olden day practice of divorcing one's wife (妻 being wife)

合離 - one of the ways of getting a divorce in ancient China

Watching "Can't Buy Me Love" by any chance?

Thanks a lot for the translation. ^_^

I am currently watching 公主嫁到 that stars Moses Chan 陳豪, Charmaine Sheh 佘詩曼, Kenneth Ma 馬國明, Fala Chen 陳法拉, and Linda Chung 鍾嘉欣. This TVB series is pretty interesting.

Thanks a lot for the translation. ^_^

I am currently watching 公主嫁到 that stars Moses Chan 陳豪, Charmaine Sheh 佘詩曼, Kenneth Ma 馬國明, Fala Chen 陳法拉, and Linda Chung 鍾嘉欣. This TVB series is pretty interesting.

Yeah, "Can't Buy Me Love" is the English title of 公主嫁到, and 合離 is a term that crops up pretty often, which is why I asked if you were watching that series. The earlier bits were hilarious, but then it got a bit weepy.

hi.. can help me translate this?

笑看人生 and 累了 倦了 冷了 弃了

thanks in advance

笑看人生 - it describes an attitude towards life that is positive. word for word it means: "smile/laugh look (at) life". basically, since life is short, one might as well be happy and optimistic.

(if someone else has a better way of conveying that meaning, please go ahead!)

累了 - tired

倦了 - weary

冷了 - cold

弃了 - abandoned

Archived