The children will finish school soon, the sun will set soon

我的牙会不会伤感

Will my teeth be hurt

大地已沉寂 月亮已升起

The world has gone quiet, the moon has risen

我的爱人会不会哭泣

Will my lover weep

Guest prisonerzero

Does anyone have recommendations of books that I can buy from Amazon or something? Someone suggested Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar Workbook... thing but I checked the Kindle sample and... it doesn't really explain anything at all, so I feel like it wouldn't be something that I could use.

Does anyone have recommendations of books that I can buy from Amazon or something? Someone suggested Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar Workbook... thing but I checked the Kindle sample and... it doesn't really explain anything at all, so I feel like it wouldn't be something that I could use.

What is your level? Are you learning traditional or simplified script? Do you want to learn more about grammar, writing or vocabulary? If you give us an idea of what you're looking for, then I'm sure some of us here can offer suggestions for useful books.

Guest prisonerzero

Beginner, traditional, and well... everything.

Just stuff that explains things along with giving dialogue.

(Unlike ChinesePod unless I just don't see their explanations for things on their website when I was saving lessons.)

The Berlitz book was alright (even though it was all in simplified, but nothing converting into traditional can't fix...) but it was all teaching me things as if I was taking a trip in the same week. I can't really do everyday conversation sort of things just asking for the menu, asking to buy something, etc., hah.

Beginner, traditional, and well... everything.

Just stuff that explains things along with giving dialogue.

(Unlike ChinesePod unless I just don't see their explanations for things on their website when I was saving lessons.)

The Berlitz book was alright (even though it was all in simplified, but nothing converting into traditional can't fix...) but it was all teaching me things as if I was taking a trip in the same week. I can't really do everyday conversation sort of things just asking for the menu, asking to buy something, etc., hah.

Mmm, I see. Most Chinese lessons are for simplified (China and all that) and a lot of Chinese-learning material out there is simplified. Would you consider learning simplified first before transitioning to traditional? That may make things easier. And are you considering Chinese lessons? If so, the teacher may ask you to get the recommended textbook(s) for class.

Anyway, here are some links to books and sites which hopefully will be of use to you.

Online (both simplified):

AboutChinese (has book links)

Learn Chinese

Books:

Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook (simplified, seems to give generally decent explanations on various items of Chinese grammar, along with pinyin and English translations)

Beginning Chinese (John DeFrancis is apparently a very respected American sinologist and has a whole series of these books. See also Amazon reviews and Beginning Chinese Reader, which is apparently a companion book)

Integrated Chinese (Level 1 is in simplified, but 2 and 3 have traditional)

Practical Chinese (traditional)

New Practical Chinese Reader (simplified, but with traditional glossary included)

I would also recommend getting a good Chinese-English dictionary (that preferably requires you to look up words via stroke order). Watching Chinese-language dramas would help too, you pick up words that you might not otherwise have in regular lessons.

Guest HavenInMuse

Does 偷食 mean to cheat on your spouse or lover? I hear that frequently in Hong Kong movies.

Yup, it does. It literally means "sneak a bite", but its slang for cheating.

Guest msjerur

Can someone read over my Chinese report and help me revise it? It's due tomorrow and my language partner was supposed to email me the revision. I think she might have forgot. T_T It's 2 pages, double spaced. Ahhh! Message me?

Thanks a lot for the help. ^_^

What does 飲水思源 mean? I notice that Hong Kong actors and actresses frequently use Chinese idioms in TVB series.

Literally, to remember the source of the water you drink. It's a common idiom to remind people that they should not forget their roots.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Sleepless.

Could someone translate this? I know it's a lot, but it's really urgent and important to me. I've tried online translation but we all know those are poor, and basically I've been racking my brain over this. So thank you in advance to whoever takes the time and translates it ^^

EMS确实很蛋疼,我要求先开箱验货在签收,因为鉴于有FY提过说手机会被寄丢或者被掉包,但是他们不肯,

说如果确定外包装没问题就要先签字在验货,然后我说先验货再签字这个规定不是你们邮政系统规定的吗?

他说没有这样的规定,太蛋疼了,然后他建议说先签字,再带货物去他们那边在全程监控下开箱验货,

好,拼了,现在准备过去啦,FY们请祝福我吧!如果验货没有问题,晚上我会跟你们转播我的4S全程购买记录及心得!

Could someone translate this? I know it's a lot, but it's really urgent and important to me. I've tried online translation but we all know those are poor, and basically I've been racking my brain over this. So thank you in advance to whoever takes the time and translates it ^^

EMS确实很蛋疼,我要求先开箱验货在签收,因为鉴于有FY提过说手机会被寄丢或者被掉包,但是他们不肯,

说如果确定外包装没问题就要先签字在验货,然后我说先验货再签字这个规定不是你们邮政系统规定的吗?

他说没有这样的规定,太蛋疼了,然后他建议说先签字,再带货物去他们那边在全程监控下开箱验货,

好,拼了,现在准备过去啦,FY们请祝福我吧!如果验货没有问题,晚上我会跟你们转播我的4S全程购买记录及心得!

EMS are really frustrating. I requested to first open the box to examine the item before signing the acceptance form, because (someone on) FY had mentioned that the mobile phone could have been lost in transit or switched. But they refused, saying that if I was sure the packaging was all right, I should sign before checking the item. So I asked wasn't the rule of checking the item before signing one of the postal system's regulations?" He said there was no such rule. So frustrating. Then he suggested that I sign first and then bring the item over to their side and examine it under supervision. Fine, I'll go for it, am preparing to go over now. FY folk please wish me luck! If there is no problem with the item, tonight I'll share with you all my experience and thoughts on buying the 4S!

(I think FY is some forum, but I'm not sure)

Guest Kathy K.

Hi :)

Can anybody help me with translating this sentence? It does not have a context: "像你這麼好的女孩子,禮拜六怎麼可能沒約會?"

I know all the characters, but I somehow cannot get the logical meaning... what does 像 mean here? (I generally have problem with this word ^^')

Also I'd be thankful if you could tell me if the sentences below are correct (it's very important since I'm preparing for my Chinese exam and I suck in word order and appropriate vocabulary >.<)

1. 不知道你想不想跟我一起去看電影?

2. 不知道你可不可以把這本書借給我看?(or maybe should be 可能?or both are ok?)

3. 我希望老師把這本書借給我看。(it's similar, yet here I'd like to emphasise that "I hope that teacher would lend me that book"; should I use 把 or can I say it differently, easier?)

4. 我一定想更努力地學習漢語。

Thank you for your help :) (actually I have lots of questions, but I won't be such a bother right now :P)

Hi :)

Can anybody help me with translating this sentence? It does not have a context: "像你這麼好的女孩子,禮拜六怎麼可能沒約會?"

I know all the characters, but I somehow cannot get the logical meaning... what does 像 mean here? (I generally have problem with this word ^^')

How can such a nice girl like you not have a date on Saturday?

像 in the above context has the meaning of "for example", or "like".

Also I'd be thankful if you could tell me if the sentences below are correct (it's very important since I'm preparing for my Chinese exam and I suck in word order and appropriate vocabulary >.<)

1. 不知道你想不想跟我一起去看電影?

2. 不知道你可不可以把這本書借給我看?(or maybe should be 可能?or both are ok?)

3. 我希望老師把這本書借給我看。(it's similar, yet here I'd like to emphasise that "I hope that teacher would lend me that book"; should I use 把 or can I say it differently, easier?)

4. 我一定想更努力地學習漢語。

Thank you for your help :) (actually I have lots of questions, but I won't be such a bother right now :P)

1. Fine, but can take out 不知道.

2. Ditto, and you can also say 你能不能把這本書借給我看?

3. 希望老師能把這本書借給我看。 (can drop the pronoun because you're obviously talking about yourself, and added 能 because it is still a conditional sentence and makes it smoother. Also, if it's "that book", it'd be 那本書。)

Other ways of saying it include: 希望老師能借這本書給我看。希望老師能借我看這本書。

4. 我一定会更努力地學習漢語。 (replaced 想 with 会 because it makes more sense).

Archived