Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

the mid-autumn festival takes place on monday, sept. 12 this year.

on the mid-autumn festival i go out to eat dinner with my family in a chinese restaurant.

we eat mooncakes after dinner. 

i enjoy the mid-autumn festival a lot.

the moon looks very bright in the sky during the mid-autumn festival.

i look at the big bright moon with my family.

all chinese people celebrate the mid-autumn festival.

Can someone help me translate this from eng to chinese? i'm writing an essay and i don't know how to write these ones. 

Thanks

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does 闷骚 mean? Thanks!

It's used to describe that on the inside someone wants something really badly, but on the outside tries not to show any desire.

the mid-autumn festival takes place on monday, sept. 12 this year.

on the mid-autumn festival i go out to eat dinner with my family in a chinese restaurant.

we eat mooncakes after dinner. 

i enjoy the mid-autumn festival a lot.

the moon looks very bright in the sky during the mid-autumn festival.

i look at the big bright moon with my family.

all chinese people celebrate the mid-autumn festival.

Can someone help me translate this from eng to chinese? i'm writing an essay and i don't know how to write these ones. 

Thanks

今年的中秋節是在西歷的九月十二號。中秋節的時候我會跟家人一起去中式餐館吃晚飯,然後我們都會吃月餅。我很喜歡中秋節。中秋節時的月光高掛在天上,皎潔明亮。我跟家人一起看那又大又亮的月亮。中秋節是眾中國人民都慶祝的節日。

The only thing I omitted here is the mentioning of Monday... I just feel like it sounds awkward to say it that way in Chinese. If you really wanted it, then it would be 今年的中秋節是在西歷的星期一九月十二號。

Oh my goodness thank you so much x123x. This helped me a lot. I'm so bad at writing :(

No problem, and you're welcome! Reading more Chinese will help, that way you'll learn more words to use, which will help with the writing part. Maybe you can start with Chinese sites/blogs, just try to look up stuff you're interested in :) (Though newspapers are probably better for learning more formal writing.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LacedOut

hello everyone! Just recently, I came across a popular Chinese proverb/quote/belief and I was trying to find the proverb in actual Chinese characters but it was unsuccessful. I was wondering if anyone knew the actual translation to this quote? Sorry, I sound confusing..I mean like what and how exactly it said in Chinese? Not translate directly word for word from English to Chinese as most of the time it sounds awkward or weird; o_o if you get what I mean...hopefully

Anyway, here's the quote! Please and thanks in advance!

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break"

• 2 weeks later...

please help me, how do i say:

Is it possible to hand in my work later this day?

可不可以... lala, that's all i can think of haha~

chinese characters would be awesomee! ^_^

please help me, how do i say:

Is it possible to hand in my work later this day?

可不可以... lala, that's all i can think of haha~

chinese characters would be awesomee! ^_^

我可不可以今天晚一点才交我的作业?

• 2 weeks later...

^ thank you very much! could someone please check if these sentences are correct? 謝謝!

Mr. Bai: " That boy told me he would rather die than obey his parents. I don't know why he feels that way"

Mr. Zhang: "I don't know either. I understand today's young people less and less."

白先生: “那個男孩子寧願死也不願意聽爸爸媽媽的話. 我不了解他的想法.”

張先生: : “我也不知道. 我越來越不了解今天的年輕人."

Last night Mom went to apply for her visa, but she forgot to take along a photograph and her passport, so she couldn't do it all. So then she had to get my little brother to go home to get them.

昨天晚上媽媽根本要去班簽證.但是她忘了帶照片和護照, 所以沒辦法. 後來我弟弟需要回家把它們拿來.

Little Li and Little Bai had always gotten along very well. Even without talking, each could understand what the other meant. But lately, their relationship has gotten worse and worse.

小李跟小白之間從前相處的很好. 不說話每個人能了解另一的話, 但是最近他們的感情越來越壞.

Some people often spend a long time considering something but still just can't make up their minds.

某個人考慮很多時間, 可是還不會做決定.

I think you got most of it, just a few things I would change... :sweatingbullets:

^ thank you very much! could someone please check if these sentences are correct? 謝謝!

Mr. Bai: " That boy told me he would rather die than obey his parents. I don't know why he feels that way"

Mr. Zhang: "I don't know either. I understand today's young people less and less."

白先生: “那個男孩子寧願死也不願意聽爸爸媽媽的話. 我不了解他的想法.”

張先生: : “我也不知道. 我越來越不了解今天的年輕人."

I think you're missing the "told me" part. I would write it as

白先生: “那個男孩子告訴我他寧願死也不願意聽爸爸媽媽的話. 我不了解他的想法.”

For the next sentence, I think that 「今天的年輕人」 doesn't work in Chinese... I would change it to

張先生: : “我也不知道. 我越來越不了解現時的年輕人."

Last night Mom went to apply for her visa, but she forgot to take along a photograph and her passport, so she couldn't do it all. So then she had to get my little brother to go home to get them.

昨天晚上媽媽根本要去班簽證.但是她忘了帶照片和護照, 所以沒辦法. 後來我弟弟需要回家把它們拿來.

The 「根本」 doesn't make sense here, maybe the word you're looking for is 「原本」? But that would change the phrase to "Last night originally Mom had to apply for her visa". If you want to keep the same meaning of the phrase you originally had, then I would just omit 「根本要」. Also, it's 「辦簽證」, not 「班簽證」. So for the first sentence, I would say

"昨天晚上媽媽去辦簽證."

The latter sentence is grammatically correct, however I think it sounds just slightly awkward in conveying what you want to say.

「需要」 has more of a "need" and absolute must sort of notion. For example, you need to bring photos and a passport to apply for a visa, so if you translate that into Chinese, you would use 「需要」. In your sentence, it's more like a consequence of something, your brother had to go back. In this case, I would just say 「要」 instead of 「需要」. So, I would write that particular sentence as

"後來我弟弟要回家把它們拿來."

An even better translation (and more close to the provided English phrase) would be

"結果我弟弟要回家把它們拿來."

This takes into account the "So then..." part, which has an implied consequential notion, otherwise by using 「後來」, it would be more like "Afterwards, my brother had to go home to get them.", which does not necessarily have that same meaning, because it could be after anything.

Sorry for being so "anal" on this one. I just thought I should point out the subtle differences. (I prefer to translate things as closely as possible to the original tone and implications.)

Little Li and Little Bai had always gotten along very well. Even without talking, each could understand what the other meant. But lately, their relationship has gotten worse and worse.

小李跟小白之間從前相處的很好. 不說話每個人能了解另一的話, 但是最近他們的感情越來越壞.

「從前」 doesn't quite work well here. I would write

"小李跟小白之間一直相處的很好."

The second phrase is awkward. 「每個人」 is probably better used if there are multiple people. Here's my translation for that phrase:

"就算不說話, 他們都能了解對方的意思."

「就算」 is used here to capture the "Even" at the beginning of the phrase. 「對方」 is a better word for "the other" (imo). Also, since you are talking about what they mean, then using 「意思」 is more appropriate than 「話」.

Some people often spend a long time considering something but still just can't make up their minds.

某個人考慮很多時間, 可是不會做決定.

「某個人」 means "someone/a certain someone", it is more specific than "some people". I would replace that with 「有些人」 instead. 「很多時間」 means "a lot of time", not a long time. A long time is 「很久」 or 「很長時間」. Also, 「還」 is grammatically correct here, but 「還是」 seems like a better choice for fluency, or maybe it's a personal preference... Anyways, I would say

"有些人考慮很久, 可是還是不會做決定."

Sorry for the long reply and my pickiness... :unsure:

"有些人考慮很久, 可是還是不會做決定."

Mmm... "不會做決定" sounds like they don't know how to make a decision, because of the characters "不會". I think "拿不定主意" or "做不了決定" would be a better fit for "can't make up their minds".

Mmm... "不會做決定" sounds like they don't know how to make a decision, because of the characters "不會". I think "拿不定主意" or "做不了決定" would be a better fit for "can't make up their minds".

Good point! Totally didn't see that :sweatingbullets:

Waa thank you so so much for taking the time to help out! Really appreciate it :) it seems like I will have to work harder on my chinese! Your translations made it soo much easier to understand, don't know why I'm not able to do it!! Sometimes it feels like I'm stuck at this level and can't improve haaaa... :wacko:

does anyone know how to type cantonese on a mac? and how do people in hk type canto? is it by strokes? because i always see that on the phones. just wondering!

im also curious as to how HKers type chinese on a computer. do they use pinyin or do they have their own system?

Yeah, it's common for phones to have the "by stroke" input. ^_^

There are several methods for input... there's 倉頡, 速成, 九方... and there's also canto pinyin (I think the add-on is called the "Cantonese Phonetic IME"), as well as writing it on a special word recognition pad (手寫板). There's probably more, but those are some of the more common ones on the top of my head right now.

On Chinese keyboards, you will see Chinese radicals beside the keys... 倉頡 makes use of that system and there are certain rules to follow for forming words (input will be from 1 to 5 keys for each word). 速成 is the simplified version of 倉頡, where you only type in the first and last radicals, and then select your word from a bunch that have the same first and last composition. 九方 is simpler than the above two, where you input by strokes, using a set of predefined strokes corresponding to the numbers 1 to 9. Pinyin... well, pinyin is pinyin, nothing more to say about that. For the 手寫板, it's like a mini-tablet that you typically plug into your computer via USB. You write the word on the tablet and the program tries to recognize what you wrote. It's good if you already know how to write Chinese and don't wanna learn anything new, but the bad thing about it is you gotta write neatly and sometimes it can be frustrating if it keeps on not recognizing what you're trying to write.

Guest teresaa-

HI! I THINK THIS THREAD COULD BE MY LIFESAVER <3

I don't know if this is how the requests work but....

I was wondering if anyone you actually tell me about the musical instrument 古箏

I'm mainly looking for it's parts as an instrument like what are the names in chinese and english..

a diagram would be muchly appreciated... since I'm clueless about this topic and I chose it as my detailed study topic for my exam which is in.. 8 days...

I've tried looking at baidu and they're given me a list of the parts of the instruments but google can't translate it more 'fluently' and didn't provide a diagram in english/chinese either.

This would be greatly appreaciated if you could help me with this...

HI! I THINK THIS THREAD COULD BE MY LIFESAVER <3

I don't know if this is how the requests work but....

I was wondering if anyone you actually tell me about the musical instrument 古箏

I'm mainly looking for it's parts as an instrument like what are the names in chinese and english..

a diagram would be muchly appreciated... since I'm clueless about this topic and I chose it as my detailed study topic for my exam which is in.. 8 days...

I've tried looking at baidu and they're given me a list of the parts of the instruments but google can't translate it more 'fluently' and didn't provide a diagram in english/chinese either.

This would be greatly appreaciated if you could help me with this...

I will avoid asking the obvious question...

Here are some links which may or may not help:

http://musicofchina2.blogspot.com/

https://guzheng.hk/about-guzheng/what-is-guzheng.html

http://site.soundofasia.com/FAQ.html

http://www.51zheng.com/Article_Show.asp?ArticleID=7048

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/the-development-of-the-guzheng/6765.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guzheng

http://www.qinyunge.com/gouzao.htm (in Chinese)

Also, if there is no translation of names, perhaps just use the pinyin and write the Chinese characters in brackets. And you may want to visit your local library for more information.

Archived