[Drama 2023] Doctor Cha , 닥터 차정숙 - Kim Byung Chul, Uhm Jung Hwa

0ly40

So after watching the first two episodes and reading some of these misogynistic comments, I have a few thoughts.

When they were in medical school, it was clear the FL was a nerd, focused on her studies and somewhat detached from the social gossip and circles. Plain and simple, her husband went after her, took advantage of her naivite and then got her pregnant. They could've chosen to part ways, not have the baby or give up for adoption. They didn't have to get married, but they did. I don't recall her saying she knew he was with the other lady, and I am re-watching it. Either way decisions were made.

Not to mention, the mistress is giving horrible behavior. If I am smart, accomplished and wealthy, then I have options. Why would someone pine after a man for over 20 years if those are her stats. She could've been met someone else with more money, accomplishments who actually loves her. This is giving pathetic loser, especially when she had a whole meltdown about him considering the surgery to help his sick wife.

Now, the FL is flawed. As smart and pretty as she is, she has done what a LOT of women do and that is mule for her family. She is a whole slave in her house. A doormat, which is why her husband has no remorse for cheating on her and why her MIL doesn't respect her. That is her fault. She should've never allowed things to get to this point. How sad to be in need medically, and no one wants to help you that actually can help you. Marriage is also in sickness and in health. She had to find out the hard way (because she was too dense to see if for herself) that she is married to a LOSER and a mama's boy. Not to mention, she doesn't have any cards, car, house, nothing in her name.

I like that this crisis has helped her go back to what she trained for and loves. She is better off helping people in that manner and not her selfish family. Regardless of the circumstances of how they got together, it's been too many years and her husband talks to her like she is the scum of the earth. Just divorce already. Stop being miserable with someone you don't want. He would've never made it with the mistress. She would've never gave up her career, and doted on him and his mother like that.

This drama is tackling a very real issue in Korea right now. It is highlighting why they have the lowest birth rate in the world. Their marriage rate is also steadily falling because women are tired of being treated like second class citizens. Even when the mistress went to the shaman, he noted her accomplishments, then told her they meant nothing because she was born a woman. This is also an issue in Japan and China. Treating people like human beings should not be this hard. It will be interesting to see what type of doctor the FL will turn out to be.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

12 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

So after watching the first two episodes and reading some of these misogynistic comments, I have a few thoughts.

When they were in medical school, it was clear the FL was a nerd, focused on her studies and somewhat detached from the social gossip and circles. Plain and simple, her husband went after her, took advantage of her naivite and then got her pregnant. They could've chosen to part ways, not have the baby or give up for adoption. They didn't have to get married, but they did. I don't recall her saying she knew he was with the other lady, and I am re-watching it. Either way decisions were made.

Not to mention, the mistress is giving horrible behavior. If I am smart, accomplished and wealthy, then I have options. Why would someone pine after a man for over 20 years if those are her stats. She could've been met someone else with more money, accomplishments who actually loves her. This is giving pathetic loser, especially when she had a whole meltdown about him considering the surgery to help his sick wife.

Now, the FL is flawed. As smart and pretty as she is, she has done what a LOT of women do and that is mule for her family. She is a whole slave in her house. A doormat, which is why her husband has no remorse for cheating on her and why her MIL doesn't respect her. That is her fault. She should've never allowed things to get to this point. How sad to be in need medically, and no one wants to help you that actually can help you. Marriage is also in sickness and in health. She had to find out the hard way (because she was too dense to see if for herself) that she is married to a LOSER and a mama's boy. Not to mention, she doesn't have any cards, car, house, nothing in her name.

I like that this crisis has helped her go back to what she trained for and loves. She is better off helping people in that manner and not her selfish family. Regardless of the circumstances of how they got together, it's been too many years and her husband talks to her like she is the scum of the earth. Just divorce already. Stop being miserable with someone you don't want. He would've never made it with the mistress. She would've never gave up her career, and doted on him and his mother like that.

This drama is tackling a very real issue in Korea right now. It is highlighting why they have the lowest birth rate in the world. Their marriage rate is also steadily falling because women are tired of being treated like second class citizens. Even when the mistress went to the shaman, he noted her accomplishments, then told her they meant nothing because she was born a woman. This is also an issue in Japan and China. Treating people like human beings should not be this hard. It will be interesting to see what type of doctor the FL will turn out to be.

You aptly described this drama and the discrimination Asian women faced in most Asian countries even today.  This is one of the better dramas to watch in 2023.  I definitely will look forward to future episodes unlike many 2023 shows I dropped after one or more episodes due to uninteresting plots and poor acting.  Thanks for your insights I now feel we share similar sentiments regarding this show.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

• ferily changed the title to [Current Drama 2022] Doctor Cha , 닥터 차정숙 - Kim Byung Chul, Uhm Jung Hwa - Saturday & Sunday @ 22:30 KST
On 4/18/2023 at 6:20 AM, nubianlegalmind said:

A doormat, which is why her husband has no remorse for cheating on her and why her MIL doesn't respect her. That is her fault. She should've never allowed things to get to this point.

After having watched ep 2, I agree with this. She has allowed herself to become the victim, and he sees himself as superior to her. That's why he doesn't respect her.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:06 PM, Nomorelisa said:

I definitely will look forward to future episodes unlike many 2023 shows I dropped after one or more episodes due to uninteresting plots and poor acting. 

I was surprised I found this drama so engaging. I didn't even FF which is a feat for me. :D

The pacing is good and the script is written well.

I just have to say that I am not too impressed with the medical aspects of the drama. Far from realistic.

The ambulance scene was a mess - don't even get me started on how many medical mistakes were shown in that scene. And the whole thing about the husband not donating PART of his liver to his wife because his mom and mistress felt it was too dangerous for him. :unamused:

Listen, being a living liver donor is not as dangerous as the show tried to depict. You are donating a part of your liver - your liver will actually regrow to its original size in about 6-8 weeks. And it's rare to have any complications from the surgery.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:56 AM, alekaonu said:

I just read a comment in here saying that she looks older than her mum in the drama. Wow that's harsh. I don't think Uhm Jung Hwa looks that old.

I don't think Uhm Jung Hwa looks older than Healer ahjumma, but their real life age difference is only 5 years. They look more like sisters to me than mother and daughter.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:23 AM, Shimmery-summer said:

Also I really want to say agreeing to go through surgery is a very big decision as it is your body and it jeoperdizes your future health and life, why should a person be shamed for choosing not to donate their organ like this drama is doing.

I think the issue here is that the liver transplant surgery wasn't depicted realistically. Donating part of your liver (which they btw failed to mention in the drama - they just talked about him donating all of his liver) is a perfectly safe procedure with few complications.  His life was not on the line even if he had become a donor.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that your husband would help you if you were dying. I'm sure she felt very hurt and disappointed that her husband would rather allow her to die than to go through a surgery with few risks for him.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:23 AM, Shimmery-summer said:

Similarly here, it's even more brutal that Cha knows this guy is dating Seung hi and yet she sleeps with him and gets pregnant, and what is really brutal is that in present forget about remembering the name of woman whose man she snatched, she doesn't even remember what she had done.

I don't think we know yet if Doctor Cha knew her husband was dating Seung Hi. It is possible that she wasn't aware of the fact as she seemed to be very focused on her studies.

With regard to not remembering later Seung Hi's name, it's possible that she felt so much remorse that she had pushed Seung Hi out of her mind for 20 years.

I just feel like we haven't seen yet the whole story regarding what went down 20 years ago.

On 4/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, agenth said:

The drama reminds me of the drama where the mum went to the same college as her son and where the husband also cheated on his wife with his colleague/professor.

Yes, Twenty Again. Doctor Cha reminds me of that drama too.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Ep 3 was so much fun! :love: The ending made me laugh out loud. Can't believe that almost the whole family is working in the same department. :joy:

Love that the son is so nice and supportive of his mother. The fact that the daughter is friends with the mistress's daughter - I know people think they might be sisters now, but I doubt it.

Does this face stick thing never stop being promoted in kdramas though? Am so tired of seeing it, I actually would prefer a Subway scene. :rage:

image.png?width=1266&height=658

PS. The son is totally dating his sunbae who is mean to him. Anyone else of the same opinion?

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

"who would marry that girl?" asks the mum re: her son and senior resident girl, while foreshadowing a secondary couple. that "girl" is hyperaware of her junior (FL's son). maybe she is being extra harsh because he is the son of the professor. ending of ep 3 everyone's shocked that FL calls her son informally "jung min-ah". It's eyebrow-raising but not that shocking, considering her age, and cosnidering both mum and son are residents (same level). 

Mistress: wondering why she would accept being a long-time mistress to the ML, she is quite insecure and obsessing about the FL. To this day I'm not sure if FL knew about 2FL and her hubby's first love/relationship. FL is quite oblivious. Normally I would hate this kind of drama / FL, but this drama has some funny scenes and wit, so I'm staying tuned.

i am enjoying the 2nd male lead as well, he is encouraging FL's dream yet tnot being pushy. Meanwhile husband and mistress are being quite toxic.... 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

Kim Byung Chul as the cheating husband is a riot.  I like his facial expressions in awkward moments such as the scenes when he was going to sign his consent to donate part of his liver, being slapped after waking from a deep sleep, seeing his wife and mistress together and later needing an IV drip.  Also when his wife declared her husband was dead, that really got me laughing out loud.  He has that deadpan face that changes to one that is comical is what makes this drama so wonderful.  That and the fine acting by Uhm Jung Hwa makes this drama enjoyable to watch.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 3! :).

“Joseon Attorney” Hits New All-Time High; “The Real Has Come!” And “Doctor Cha” Earn Their Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

“Joseon Attorney” Hits New All-Time High; “The Real Has Come!” And “Doctor Cha” Earn Their Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

Over on cable, “Doctor Cha” maintained its nationwide average of 7.8 percent from last week for its third episode, taking first place in its time slot across all cable channels.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1581923wpp/joseon-attorney-hits-new-all-time-high-the-real-has-come-and-doctor-cha-earn-their-highest-saturday-ratings-yet

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, agenth said:

i am enjoying the 2nd male lead as well, he is encouraging FL's dream yet tnot being pushy. Meanwhile husband and mistress are being quite toxic.... 

I am loving the 2ML, I am really hoping she will leave her jerk husband. I really hope she ends up with the 2 ML.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, Nomorelisa said:

Also when his wife declared her husband was dead, that really got me laughing out loud.

This scene was so funny. :DSubconsciously I think she just declared her marriage dead.

She already has a hot younger doctor ready to sleep in the same bed with her, and who asked her when she's gonna get a divorce.

Brendon Urie Flirt GIF by Panic! At The Disco

Can't wait for the hubby to get a taste of his own medicine. Will watch ep 4 tonight - @agenth chingu, wanna watch it together? :kiss_wink:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

:yaaa: ep 4 was good! Lots of things happened. :glasses:

Doctor Cha has been oblivious about her husband's affair (I think she has refused to see the signs before and has been subconsciously denying that it could even be a possibility), but she's starting to finally pick up on the signs.

Interestingly enough it seems like Doc Cha was aware of the relationship between hubby and 2nd FL, but honestly it's the hubby who should be more to blame in the situation. He was the one who cheated on his girlfriend.

And I still believe there is more to the story than what has been shown so far.

I know that we're to believe that the mistress's daughter is the hubby's, but I have a feeling that she is merely aware of her mom's affair with him and that she disapproves. Of course it's possible that she would be the illegitimate daughter, but it would make the story line quite convoluted with the kids being also affected by it. So am gonna guess for now that she only knows her mom is a mistress.

I was surprised to see a glimmer of warmth from the hubby towards his wife in the bathtub scene. He has seemed very cold and distant so far, but the fact that he's so jealous means that he still has feelings left for his wife on some level. Even if it's based on friendship.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

It's poll time! 

Sassy Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

Did you enjoy the episodes we have seen so far? Do you want to see Dr. Cha fulfilling her dream of becoming a good doctor, or do you want to see some revenge on the cheaters? 

Whichever team you are, come and vote.

dr. cha chingus:

@partyon @confusedheart @backstreetboysfan @Nomorelisa @TheQueenReturns @nubianlegalmind @Shimmery-summer @0ly40 @larus @alekaonu

• Love 1
  • Blob 3

"My husband is dead."

The power of words. I get that she was in an awkward situation and said what she thought was best, but it felt like a foreboding of their marriage.

I really enjoyed episodes 3 and 4 and now I have some predictions moving forward.

Dr. Cha is going to pretend like she didn't see what she saw. But I believe she will be watching closely, hopefully she won't allow it to mess up her residency.

I believe the surgeon is going to catch the husband and the mistress together and try to protect Dr. Cha from it.

I also believe the son is going to find out about them as well. Right now the son is caught up in his own thing, but I believe he may actually see his parent's marriage in a different light.

Also, the mistress' daughter is going to do/say something because she feels robbed of a family.

I also want to note the conversation she had with the surgeon where she said to him that he knew all of her embarrassing moments. That felt like a precursor to something else. I did really enjoy watching Dr. Cha on the back of that motorcycle - well before she got nauseous.

What do you guys think?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 4! :).

“The Real Has Come!” Ratings Hit New All-Time High + “Doctor Cha” Breaks Into Double Digits

“The Real Has Come!” Ratings Hit New All-Time High + “Doctor Cha” Breaks Into Double Digits

“Doctor Cha” also rocketed to a new all-time high in viewership last night: the new medical comedy broke into double-digit ratings with its fourth episode, which scored a nationwide average of 11.2 percent. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1582099wpp/the-real-has-come-ratings-hit-new-all-time-high-doctor-cha-breaks-into-double-digits

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I am enjoying that the drama deviates from too much suffering and FL has bright spots in herlife:

• Son: he is as supportive as he can be, despite the fact that his mum joined his work. He truly is an angel because believe me, working with family is difficult and mentally hard as well. I totally understood when he blew up at her as she kept calling him and asking him for help as well as guilt tripping him about how she carried him for 10 months etc etc. First drama I remember where son is not resentful but also helpful. 
  • SML: The doctor is not sleazy, but has an open ear (listens to her), and watches out for her, but not in a bothersome / creepy way. It's quite natural, but seems to builg up to something more. 

Even her sufferings are not untenable (they are bad not as much as depicted in other dramas where FLs have really awful lives): 

• MIL: Yeah MIL is dramatic and expects lot but she hasn't done anything truly terrible til now. 
  • Husband: other than the fact that he has been cheating on her for over a decade, and didn't donate part of the liver, and is rude and dismissive. But he has "nice" moments too, as seen in Episode 4. 
14 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

"My husband is dead."

The power of words. I get that she was in an awkward situation and said what she thought was best, but it felt like a foreboding of their marriage.

It could go either way. TBH it's not clear cut, whether the marriage is truly dead as of now, or it may revive. 

Her other option was telling people her husband was a doctor (they would ask the name then, as same industry), or saying the husband has some other job. I suppose it was a tiny bit of revenge claiming her husband is dead since that's sort of how he treated her before she woke up from the surgery. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

by Lily Alice, April 24, 2023
12 5

The medical rom-com Doctor Cha broke into double-digit ratings on Sunday (April 23). The K-drama achieved an average nationwide viewership of 11.20% for its fourth episode. Its previous episode's rating is 7.81%. The average nationwide viewership of the drama for the last week is 9.50%. 

Doctor Cha premiered with a single-digit rating of 4.93% and quickly achieved a double-digit rating while being only in its second week of airing. Hopefully, the upcoming episodes will continue to take the K-drama to new heights. 

4egz6Z_2f.png

Episode 5 of Doctor Cha will air on April 29(Saturday). Stream on Netflix. \\

https://mydramalist.com/article/kim-byung-chul-and-uhm-jung-hwa-s-doctor-cha-breaks-into-double-digit-ratings

• Like 3
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 1