[Drama 2022] My Liberation Notes, 나의 해방일지

agenth

10 hours ago, Paperx Atelier said:

Ep11 perspective; Chang Hee and his obsession with car is almost like a long con for ppl (prpduct placement), he became one of those chic magnets with car..he negotiated his self value and confidence and compensated it with the car value. Gu requesting more time cox he has something outstanding, the worship that he promised Mi Jung almost like an anchor. This reminds me of a perspective; a person self worth linking to their wish to keep a promise, if a person is good they will try their best to keep that promise, if not they will just take the cowardly way out and justify their actions with excuses. End of the day, only themselves know what they negotiated with themselves.

CH  - because of who he is, and someone who has hung around with people like that - placed emphasis on all these EXTERNAL factors.

While he has some redeeming factors and a heart within, no one sees those = to me, he comes across as the typical aspiring Wannabe  - > nouveau-riche hick. Then once newly  arrived  = flaunting (in a hick's very ostentatious way) that some of the old wealthy won't do. And s'times adopt an air of pretentiousness too (the nouveau-riche Gangnam crowd for eg, who worship Western, eating Western - just check out the Hyundai department store stuffed with Western goodies including $5 macaroons in Gangnam, Apujjeong. Denying the Kimchi they grew up with or even squishing the fact their Moms sold kimchi to raise them, help feed the family etc. )

Materialism. The sad power of Consumerism. 

Bec he believes such External Accessories are what will give him power/for folks to 'worship' /respect him.  Based on what he has - those external assets.

To the pt he's now flaunting something that is NOT even his!

(Which is why I said right fr the start when he was kissing and grovelling in front of that Rolls ... it's damn SAD. Sure, it is celebratory he finally got to ride in wheels he always coveted and wanted, but it's sad bec of what he and the message he got from what Society worships. $/clout/power - which he felt was lacking, bec he lived in Sanpo.

Dude has a very Wannabe hanger-on groupie attitude but lacking sincerity ... or willing to swallow sincerity, if he feels it might get him something better. (it still bugs me how he treated Du-hwan).

Gu - as you said - strength of character. Core.  Whether a person will take the higher road, or succumb (with endless justifications).

for eg: it can be a child -> adult who grew up watching alcoholism or domestic violence. When life gets tough and throws curve balls - (1) that child-adult can decide to RISE above or steadfastly resist.  OR (2) default to the dysfunctional role-modelling he saw growing up, which is inbuilt patterning. Succumb to the exact same, and yes JUSTIFY it all.  Blame it on parents, childhood, attribute it to stress; OR find the strength within and determination to say NO, I am never going to break this promise to self to perpetuate the pattern.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

While I was impatiently waiting for ep11  to arrive, I was thinking about which character I’d love to see more of, and for me I think it was HyeonAh!  And so I was happy that we got to go back to her storyline in ep11.  So far, she and Mijeong and the rest of the siblings have such a good relationship with each other, but Mijeong is keeping HyeonAh and Mr Gu separate.  I mean, I know Mijeong’s excuse was that they’re too alike, but I wonder if there is something more to that.  It’s not as though Mijeong has been shy about what her relationship with Mr Gu is like… if anything, HyeonAh knows a lot just from listening to the siblings and Mijeong describe him.  I think rather it being a case of ‘like detests like’, HyeonAh and Mr Gu might understand each other quite well.  

If there’s something more that I want now, it’s learning more about why HyeonAh makes the choices she does.  Is it really because she wants love that she compromises her happiness to stay with people who don’t treat her well?  And then also, now that we’ve had even more of Mr Gu’s backstory revealed, I’d like HyeonAh and him to meet.  Is she going to be able to tell that he is part of whatever shady organization earned him enough money to buy a RollsRoyce?  Or will she not be able to see through him like Mijeong can…  

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

I don’t know if it’s entertaining or Saddening to see how Chang Hee flexing the Rolls to literally everyone he knows lol while the real owner of the car is driving a Sanpo Sinks Truck. 

But he really should STOP drive that car, thinking about the car insurance alone gives me anxiety lol.

Love it when the dad says : “don’t drive someone’s else car”

Its about self love and pride. Chang Hee still have to complete self-construction and self-reconciliation, accept himself, be determined, stick to his beliefs, and constantly explore his own destiny.

Props to MJ who keeps seeing GU the same way as before, She never mention anything about the car or question about his past. No wonder Gu falls for her. 

I love MJ’s counter her boss in the elevator when she said : “free from people, from tedious people” The shaaade , the boss needs umbrella or subglasses to block it. 

It seems like this Mr.choi will be joining the club? Oh no pls no, I don’t want to see reconciliation lol, I want war and revenge!

Seeing Hyeon  A today breaks my heart. She is always there for everyone else but she herself needs support. 

I ship her with Chang Hee, but atm she is emotionally unavailable to start a relationship. Hope at the end we can see them together. 

MJ and Gu : she opens herself more and more to Gu and I LOVE gentle storkes at MJ’s back I like it more than the short and zoomed out kiss scene lol. Also Im so weary about chairman Shin, he might do something harmful to MJ since she is the one who hold him back.. this is  a mobs world btw.

Last one : GJ, given to her personality I don’t thinks she is ready to have a relationship with TH, she seems doesn’t know the situation she walks into. The sister is very toxic and a pre teen daughter aren’t easy to deal with. This guy has a lot of baggages.

If its MJ, she may can handle it. 

I have a feeling Gu will have to leave Sanpo and they will break up, but hopefully he will come back to find her. 

Anyway let’s see what we’ll have in store tomorrow ! 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Lord all that fuss over Gu's posh ride! I find the patriarch to be behaving strangely.. the ol' man is a scrooge on other things but seem real bothered by Chang Hee drivin' his "friend's" car why LoL??

Gi Jung should perm her hair 'gain ha. The straight hair ages her and look flat Hyeon Ah's hair is kind of weird too LoL. It's like a mullet..!? I really thought she was someone's sugar baby and perhaps she is. It's a shame the guy's mom doesn't approve of her promiscuous ways.

I liked how unfazed Mi Jung is LoL. Seeing her in Gu's car hits differently.. Gi Jung on the other just can't keep her mouth shut ugh. Well good for her that Tae Hoon likes her back he is still blah to me though. G'luck to Gi Jung though as she'd need to deal with 2 annoying sils and a stepdaughter that hates her LoL.

What crazy logic is that over jealous girl spouting to the office playboy LoL?! She's keepin' an eye on him but not dating him ahahah. She thinks seeing her bf at work is enough. 

On Gi Jung sharing that playing hard to get is a waste of time, well that depends LoL. I mean you need to assess the situation. I am no relationship expert but you shouldn't show your cards all at once either. Gi Jung has always struck me as immature and desperate. 

Mi Jung has another "follower" ha-ha - her work colleague. Looks like Gu's life might be in danger..  I don't get why Mi Jung won't work elsewhere..? She's obviously real talented & her boss is a major prick.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

The 2 people I really worship in this Drama

MJ and Gu  = peas in a pod = they really don't give a damn abt what gets folks-the world salivating or excited (including the car or just Wealth).  Strong Cores/Strength of Character.

Kindred Spirits who are: "“free from people, from tedious people” bec they really honestly don't give a damn about such tediousness - the superficial nothings/the meaningless gaggle called 'socialization' and going through the motions just to belong. Tthe superficial facades like the rat-race treadmill => accumulation of Assets (which can be so transient - as with the recent Crypto crash).

Not just the unconditionally accepting-bonding-at peace with each other … they have a good sense of Responsibility (compared to how GJ and CH are at home, with the parents, with friends and siblings – how selfish and opportunistic those 2 can be).

Worship = now has organically taken on new meaningful layers, beyond the Unconditional-Acceptance.

Worship = Validation fr co-worker. (if you're good, you're good). It's the reason that ar*se of a boss is getting meaner and vindictively dissing her, putting MJ down with personal attacks now.

Worship = "I  Love You" - so beautiful, so quiet, so in character with this couple

(Btw, like how some others mentioned initially at the start of the Drama ... I'd thought it was MJ who was going to be paired with Lee Ki-woo aka Tae-hoon)

GJ = has impulse-control issues. In a way, the way how she just says things without any filters, and how she just described she cannot stand line-ups etc ... it's very candid-funny how she describes it , how she does things or snarks … but it’s almost like her mind is on ADD hyper mode. 

Another gem today (when talking about TH)
"I am emitting this huge energy into the universe, how could it not reach him?" :joy:

How is their relationship realistically going to work? She's DESPERATE, she wants someone/anyone! ... but she doesn't really know Tae-hoon, nor he - > her.

Cannot see GJ as a loving-caring unconditional step-mom,sorry.
1) she's too into herself - she doesn't even help out at home
2) she's unstable, the way she yo-yos
3) she's selfish, self-absorbed.
She's desperate for a relationship with anyone and can MAKE herself into what the party wants (a Nirvana soul-mate for example) but a Mom?!!

Sure, maybe she might be able to make herself become one but it isn't a genuine spontaneous kind of natural. What she said at the start about a single dad with baggage (child) – to me sums up more candidly who she is/how she really thinks

@Latte_AnydayShe is entertaining, but totally yes to this: "Gi Jung has always struck me as immature and desperate"

CH = totally nodding when Dad had a rare moment to speak gold:

“Do NOT drive someone else’s car.” YES, and worse – flaunt it everywhere to everyone, and offer them rides.

What if it gets stolen/into an accident? What started as a favour is getting out of hand, the way CH just uses the car  - parking it for folks to admire, or take rides.

LOL @Jolie Bijoux “meanwhile the Real owner of the car is driving the Sanpo Sinks truck".  :sweat_smile::joy::smirk:

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

@Jolie Bijoux

I love what u said on Chang Hee. His character does seem like comic relief? Along with his dumber sidekick Doo Hwan LoL. I just think he like Gi Jung are SO desperate to get out of small town life that they just come across like groveling fools.

I dislike Gi Jung for her crude behavior. She makes it hard for me to root for her tbh. Don't even think Gi Jung would be happy with Tae Hoon as she appear quite shallow? And yup agreed that parading Gu's car round isn't the best.. added to that Gi Jung's remark to Mi Jung on how she hit jackpot and that she should relish it  ugh. How is it that such sweet hardworking parents as the Yeoms have kids like Chang Hee, Gi Jung!? Thankfully there's Mi Jung though. 

"..while the real owner drives a beat up pickup truck" ahahah so true. I think it's that typical "grass is greener on the other side" type thing y'know? Chang Hee obviously wants what Gu has and Gu is sick of all that jazz and is content living a quiet life worshipping Mi Jung ha-ha.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Loving everyone’s character analysis and agree with y’all. Starting with CH, because people wrote exactly what I thought as I watched his scenes WORSHIPPING the car.

first off, it was soooo rude that he showed up to poop in someone else’s home, goes through his stuff, and TAKES the car keys. So rude. Like just beyond rude I want him to have a good smack in the face, that is so unacceptable, and it kinda sucks he didn’t have any repercussions, instead gets a rolls Royce out of it. Here’s my first problem with CH, if he loves the bidet and Gus home so much-why didn’t he move there in the first place?! Obviously he could have since he’s lived next door all his life and a year ago he could have had the chance to move in. God he is just a frustrating character to watch...almost as much as areum and that’s saying something huh guys. The way he treats this car better than his own siblings and parents is disgusting. Let me get this off my chest-after losing precious loved ones to death, I am highly aware every day how important people are over material items. And how much we need to appreciate and make the most out of our time with them because money means nothing after you die. I don’t know if his dad is partly to blame too-I loved when one person here called him Scrooge because he is one for sure LOL. CH doesn’t realize he is already spoiled having rent free roof over his head, both his parents, homemade food, and just many things he takes for granted that I’m sure we know other characters in kdramas never get to experience. We only have 6 episodes left and he is definitely a character that needs way more development. It wouldn’t be right if he didn’t realize how ridiculous and ludicrous he is cherishing material stuff over human beings and treating a car better than his own childhood friend. In a way, he’s been obsessed with getting a car and I was hoping now that he got it, he would realize what’s important and what isn’t.

How is GJ any different from the first ep, when she has the audacity to ask her little sister for money. By the way she still behaves right now, I agree with others that it is never gonna work out with TH. It’s funny because I do feel like Ths sister that got mad at her isn’t so different from her in how both of them want to get married or have their own life, but blame their circumstances and situation for why they don’t have it(kinda like Ch too). The thing is, like others said, GJ doesn’t even take care of her mom or the home, so how is she ever gonna miraculously now be ready to take care of a child that isn’t hers? So far the past 10 episodes have on been interactions between her and TH...but the inevitable is that his daughter will be in the picture whether she likes it or not. She is not being realistic at all and honestly, TH isn’t either which I understand is a symptom of love/infatuation. I just pity his daughter because she could end up being the most hurt in this situation. I was raised by single parent so that’s why I feel for her. I get our parents are humans too and deserve love, but it hurts when they forget about us in considering whether their partner would love us too.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, jus-ash said:

Cannot see GJ as a loving-caring unconditional step-mom.
1) she's too into herself - she doesn't even help out at home
2) she's unstable, the way she yo-yos
3) she's selfish, self-absorbed.
She's desperate for a relationship with anyone and can MAKE herself into what the party wants (a Nirvana soul-mate for example) but a Mom?!!

OMG my thoughts! She is a self centred person, maybe it can change in the future. She was frustrated to find love and decided to just love anyone. The intention alone wasn’t sincere. But let’s see in the future. She may will have character development. 

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

when she has the audacity to ask her little sister for money.

Yass this!! I agree with GJ when she said  to MJ : are you nervous? Have some guts! 
but then she talked about money and MJ has to lend or even give her money. Giirrlll. I lost respect right away, also how she really wants to ride the rolls, the irony is she always looks down on GU.
 I dont know if I still have faith in her character. 

BTW I hope CH will return the car ASAP to GU lol, I mean he can “try” it but not “KEEP” it. I myself will be ashamed driving it like it was mine. Also I’d be afraid to take care of a car out of my league. Its a huge responsibility.    

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

grass is greener on the other side" type thing y'know? Chang Hee obviously wants what Gu has and Gu is sick of all that jazz and is content living a quiet life worshipping Mi Jung ha-ha.

Yeah CH should change his mentality to : “Im too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener” 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Thanks for all the insights guys :wub:

Gu is in difficult position. . If he is stay in countryside with MJ, the chairmain isn't happy (so the chairman is his father, right?) and he will do everything to make Gu back. .but if Gu decided to go back, mr baek will haunted his down again. .mr baek will use all the dirty tricks to put Gu down from his position, and probably MJ wont save too. . .

I agree with KJ, she is so frustating to watch, I dont feel any chemistry with TH, instead I feel bad for TH. .any sane person would mad after hearing what she said in eps 1, I still dont understand why TH is interested on KJ instead, KJ is walking red flags. .also the way KJ ask money to MJ is not nice at all

CH. .he uses someone else car and when he went to the bar that Gu's owned I'm nervous as hell, I'm afraid someone there would recognize his car and searching for Gu, I'm glad at least nothing is happened. I want him to give it back to Gu ASAP, I am so nervous throughout the eps watching CH riding that car tbh

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Skysky said:

Thanks for all the insights guys :wub:

Gu is in difficult position. . If he is stay in countryside with MJ, the chairmain isn't happy (so the chairman is his father right?), chairman will do everything to make Gu back. .but if he decided to go back, mr baek will haunted his down again. .mr baek will use all the dirty tricks to put Gu down from his position, and probably MJ wont save too. . .

I agree with KJ, she is so frustating to watch, I dont feel any chemistry with TH, instead I feel bad for TH. .any sane person would mad after hearing what she said in eps 1, I still dont understand why TH is interested on KJ instead, KJ is walking red flags. .also the way KJ ask money to MJ is not nice at all

CH. .he uses someone else car and when he went to the bar that Gu's owned I'm nervous as hell, I'm afraid someone there would recognize his car and searching for Gu, I'm glad at least nothing is happened. I want him to give it back to Gu ASAP, I am so nervous throughout the eps watching CH riding that car tbh

If Gu’s dad is the chairman, the. Isn’t he more powerful than baek? Why hasn’t baek been punished by him the past year or scared to do what he did in first place because he would be punished by Gus dad? If GI dated his sister and his sister died, whatever lies baek could have told the chairman to manipulate him shouldn’t have worked since a chairman, who had to be smart enough to even be in that position, should have seen right through it and known this guy is getting revenge for his sisters death.

chingu, now that you point that out about TH..maybe he is like KJ that he is kinda desperate, or so lonely, or maybe it hasn’t been since his wife or awhile someone has hit on him, that is why he became interested in her. Because yes if I were TH in ep 1, I would think this lady is a red flag especially if she’s dating her words and liking me after bashing single parents and knowing I am one...I don’t know. I am interested how the writer will develop this and how we as viewers will feel about them by the finale. Will all couples be endgame? Or will only one last? Or will none work out in the end? I recently saw another oh hae young by same writer as his show and my mister (which I also saw and see many similarities between this show and that one..which had no endgames at all). But AOHY was the opposite, and all couples last past the finale long term. So on one end, even if this writer has similiar stuff in their stories, they’re also so different and writernims is someone that won’t do same ending in each of their shows (Phoebe take note ((talking to love marriage divorce writer..chingus if ur from that thread too..you know what I mean hahahaha)) please). 

I was thinking someone from baeks team May see Gus car and mistake CH for Gu, since windows seem tinted enough for that error, and he ends up getting hurt in Gus place. After how shameless he’s been about the car and everything, I don’t know if I will be that upset about it, sorry CH.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Watching Ep 11

Gu’s line re weak people going evil hits hard if you have worked with insecure people like MJ’s boss before (I have and it was toxic insanity!) I really love the scene of them having dinner together and looking at the moon. Gu’s monologue about the moon was nice, it revealed a little bit more about himself and tighten the connection with MJ. 

MJ looking back in the path was also very symbolic of her growth. “I want to see heaven while I am alive” is another great line. 

I think for people who have only watch the first episode and assumed that this show was about unhappy adults complaining - they really missed out how deep this drama really is. Everyone is struggling to achieve their own ‘heaven’ and it’s not the same for all - which is the whole point of the show. Sometimes what we think is heaven is not actually it even. 

CH using Gu’s car is indeed nerve wrecking but I like that by doing so he seems to have a moment of self reflection and epiphany to be kinder to himself re the pressures etc. Ahhh MJ’s friend’s ordeal is very sad - so her bf is ill and that was why he was soooo angry before? His mom is the worst - I have met some ppl like her before. It is all about money and appearances and not about love of your family etc. 

GJ is just an authentic and also a selfish person because of it— she is 100% true to herself but it is always about her needs first - or it’s all about her ways of doing things. Like her whole bit about going all out to love someone - this only works of the person accept it and not all people would want to love in that way - it can be too much etc. When she says she isn’t picky lol - I was like you lying! Lol

I feel like the older sis (who was way out of line) is pushing the tall guy into this relationship with GJ. I think it has been more about friendship and him finding himself again outside his widow persona. 
Let’s see how it plays out now that the playboy friend is also now single.

oh so Gu is the son!!! I don’t think MJ would care at all but let’s see if his family meddles - they usually do. The OTP scene at the end was sweet! 

I will stay up for tonight’s episode 

@philosophie my thoughts is that the Chairman still needs to use Baek while Gu is away and I think he recognized the reason why Baek is upset and that is why in the car he even said to Gu that he thought Baek may have hurt or kill him - hence the Chairman was looking for Gu. I think Baek’ s role in the ‘company’ was solid before all this went down with the sister’s death. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Well, all the ships are sailing!

GU-MI: Kiss!

Gi-jeong + Tae-hoon: Adorable! I loved that whole scene in which he had to park his car far away and run back, and how she told him to rest for one minute. He is so into her! And the way he chased his sister away? "Get up... Leave... Leave." There was a whole big conversation contained in those few words, which was him saying to her, "You do not have the right to interfere in my romantic relationships," and her begrudgingly accepting this fact.

Yeah, he's all in. And Gi-jeong's reaction at the end was so cute!

Of course, his daughter is another issue. But I believe he will deal with it with love and thoughtfulness. In just a few scenes, we already know that he's a decent person and a good father.

Chang-hee + Rolls Royce: Watching the sunset together. True love. :lol:

--

On a more serious note, I really loved Mi-jeong's monologue about how while her friends were praying for good grades and good friendships, the questions she had for God were existential questions.

When Chang-hee took Hyeon-ah to that club, it was the same club Gu went to! I wondered if maybe someone working there would recognize the Rolls Royce and do something to Chang-hee.

I also really enjoyed Gi-jeong's conversation at her work meeting, with her work superior Jin-woo and that other lady. The fact that she can babble on and on complaining about how much she hates standing in lines, and openly talk about her dating life, and how both Jin-woo and that other lady show so much interest and take her so seriously... it was really interesting to me.

Chang-hee's work superior and his friend Min-gyu seem to genuinely like and appreciate him, and they actually have very honest, interesting conversations together.

On that same note, I want to talk about Mi-jeong and her workplace. I mean, this guy, her team leader or whatever? (Choi Jun-Ho is his name.) He is harassing her so much! I will seriously enjoy this guy getting his butt kicked by someone.

I did enjoy how Mi-jeong artfully told him off in the elevator! Okay, not really, but there is no one in the elevator who didn't know who she was talking about.

I want to make a translation note here. On Netflix, they translated '지겨운' as 'tedious,' which is correct when you are talking about a thing - like "tedious work." But when you are talking about a person, it actually means: "odious, loathsome." So what she said to him is much more harsh than "tedious person," which just means that you are boring. Instead, she basically called him a odious person to his face, and that was much harsher than what the subtitles conveyed.

So what I observed is that Gi-jeong has a relatively comfortable situation at her workplace, where her very open and introspective personality is accepted, even appreciated by her co-workers. And Chang-hee, also, is appreciated by the people he works with, although he has Areum to deal with. I wonder how much of that is a function of their ages, and how much seniority and respect they've earned.

Mi-jeong is having a much harder time - she has a boss who undermines all her work and demeans her every chance he gets. (This guy Jun-ho needs to burn!) And she was previously harassed about joining one of those flippin' clubs, which was so oppressive that it made her cry. And although her co-workers aren't "mean-girl-ing" her as much as I first thought, she clearly finds it burdensome and awkward that she doesn't share their interests in, or can't afford to join them for things like bikini-shopping and vacation-planning. When the show first began, she really seemed beaten down by all of it. So it's really nice to see that receiving love (er, worship) is making her stronger.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Yinye said:

GJ is just an authentic and also a selfish person because of it— she is 100% true to herself but it is always about her needs first - or it’s all about her ways of doing things. Like her whole bit about going all out to love someone - this only works of the person accept it and not all people would want to love in that way - it can be too much etc. When she says she isn’t picky lol - I was like you lying! Lol

Oh yes! I will give credit to GJ-she had such a valid point about playing hard to get. LOVED the dismissal of mind games, which is exactly why I also love GJ and MJ so much. Like when she texts him as she pleases without waiting for his reply 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

@philosophie I'm sorry its actually just my own thinking, thats why I want to make sure if chairman really Gu father. .? I have the feeling Gu is his son since chairman seems prefer him than baek, he even searching for Gu and had eyes on him, If Gu is just an ordinary worker, chairman could just let Gu go if he wants to quit. . .

Also Gu is definitely a nice person, if he is into dirty business, it must be because the business is part of his family, so he doesn't have choice. In earlier eps his hyung also called him, and tell him about chairman and mr baek, so its probably a family business because his hyung is also part of it. Another thing is, Gu seems quite young for the higher rank position (he is probably in mid/late 30s), compared to baek who is also in high rank but he is quite old, it could happen because it is his family business so he is already at high rank position

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

Hi, again! The drama is getting better and better! I also enjoy reading all the analysis and posts on the characters.

I especially enjoy the drama when I re-watched it from ep. 7 to the latest, ep. 11.  

I found that the editing was a bit off.  At the end of ep. 9 we saw MJ got out of the bus and walked behind Gu, while on ep. 10 she was still at the train station, in front of the mini mart, and she went to the open field where Gu was sitting down with the wild dogs ready to attack. 

I love how the writer put the words beautifully in MJ-Gu's scenes. In this particular scene (ep 10):

MJ: It is not like I asked for a diamond

Gu: It'd be easier to get you diamond. (now we know how wealthy he really is) How do you worship someone?.  I have no idea.

MJ: You were ready to let a dog bite off your arm. And yet, you find it hard to hold a woman? (With his arm)........

Then, in the next episode, MJ's words changed him.  Gu used his arm to protect MJ from the cold wind and held her.  

The dialogues are  really nicely-written, beautiful and meaningful.

Now Gu comes to know what it means to worship MJ.  He said he worshipped her.  On the previous scene, he rejected Chairman Shin to come back and Chairman Shin asked, "what is it that you need to do here?" Then we know, he still needs to worship MJ and stay by her side.  But I think, he couldn't stay for long.  In the preview, we see a stranger came into MJ's house and it would provoke Gu to leave MJ and her family in order to protect them. 

Btw, is Chairman Shin Gu's dad? I didn't pick it up from anywhere in the drama. 

In addition to what I posted earlier, when Gu remembered what MJ's said about her a***hole boyfriends, perhaps this time Gu is determined to prove that he is not an a**hole boyfriend by returning to the club or he will do so and considered as one in order to protect her and her family.  

I think the scene where he was entering the club had not yet happened.  The scene is in the winter and currently they are in the late summer.  Yes, it seems that MJ and Gu will be separated for a while, and later he will ask, "Do you miss me?" as seen in the preview.  

Can't wait for the next episode! 

• Like 6

On 5/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, Skysky said:

@africandramalover sometimes you also need much luck for rating tbh. Its just unfortunate that MLN was starting when all the attention were on other dramas and everyone knows sat-sun timeslot is a warzone

But I am glad that MLN is starting to get the attention now, eventhough its quite late because the early eps had low rating, but I can see it will slowly increase on next eps. This drama is to good to be missed, the quality of writing, directing and the cast are top notch. I will definitely recommend this drama to my friends and family

On 5/14/2022 at 8:50 AM, jus-ash said:

It's different strokes for different folks. Some quiet Dramas with low ratings may have some magic pull to you personally, because there may be things in there which speaks to you and you only, and have value. Not everyone mainstream will get it, or ever understand it or see what you see that draws you in.

So while it's kinda sad - many pple do have talent but don't have the break-through one that make them stand out to the masses. And s'times it's a whole combination-collaboration that must work - that compelling chemistry between the actors, and a very good solid script.

I agree, taste is subjective.

It's like the algorithm was listening to this convo.... An article discussing actors who struggled appeared on my FB feed... Jeon Yeo Bin is mentioned...

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/125001/20220514/korean-stars-struggled-during-rookie-days-song-joong-ki-jang-hyuk.htm

"According to Tatler Asia , she made her debut at the age of 26 and started looking for acting opportunities in independent films."

I've had to look for some of her movies in the deepest darkest corners of the internet:sweatingbullets:. I waded through Korean erotica to find the one called Merry Christmas Mr. Mo which is done by Lim Dae-Hyung who also wrote and directed the absolutely brilliant "Moonlit Winter" (I highly recommend!!)

I guess my frustration is that people work so hard at their craft but all that is second to hype and popularity.

Anyway, such is life.

We got a kiss this Saturday which just came and went??!! How now??!! You can't have two awesome actors like this and then breeze past their kiss scene!!:huh: Directornim!!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

15 minutes ago, deandraluv said:

found that the editing was a bit off.  At the end of ep. 9 we saw MJ got out of the bus and walked behind Gu, while on ep. 10 she was still at the train station, in front of the mini mart, and she went to the open field where Gu was sitting down with the wild dogs ready to attack. 

Yes I noticed some of their scenes felt shortened. I think the impression may be that they’re just different days and they showing the norm now is he gets her from work and they walk home or get food. But one of those nights she saw him with dogs. I think after he confessed about his ex suicide. 

• Like 4

Son Seok Gu And Kim Ji Won Ride A Roller Coaster Of Emotions In “My Liberation Notes”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t
May 15, 2022
by S. P

JTBC’s “My Liberation Notes” have revealed some moody stills of Kim Ji Won and Son Seok Gu from tonight’s episode!

Helmed by “Law School” director Kim Seok Yoon and penned by “My Mister” and “Another Oh Hae Young” writer Park Hae Young, “My Liberation Notes” is a JTBC drama about three siblings who want to escape their stifling lives and the events that unfold when a mysterious outsider comes to their town. Kim Ji Won, Lee Min Ki, and Lee El star as the three frustrated siblings, while Son Seok Gu plays the alcoholic outsider that unexpectedly changes their lives.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, viewers were delighted when Yeom Mi Jung and Mr. Gu shared a kiss as their relationship deepened. Mr. Gu chose Yeom Mi Jung despite orders from Chairman Shin (Kim Min Sang) to return to his place, and he revealed his sincere feelings for her with the words, “I revere you.” After making his confession, he smiled and let out a relieved breath.

However, new stills reveal a completely different atmosphere from Mr. Gu’s confession. Their serious expressions leave viewers wondering what conversations could have transpired. The hardened looks on their faces suggest some sort of unexpected incident. Mr. Gu lowers his head, while Yeom Mi Jung returns to her house in sadness. What is the meaning behind her tears?

Son-Seok-Gu-1.jpeg

Kim-Ji-Won.jpeg

Spoiler

Son-Seok-Gu-Kim-Ji-Won-2.jpeg

In the midst of this, Mr. Gu has an unexpected visitor—a co-worker from the club he worked at. He glares at Mr. Gu with a look of frustration, but Mr. Gu just leans against the car in worry. There appears to be some sort of change in his face, as if hinting at things to come.

Spoiler

Son-Seok-Gu.jpeg

This episode of “My Liberation Notes” airs on May 15 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1