[Drama 2021] The King’s Affection, 연모

ferily

33 minutes ago, aysha106 said:

Hyun must have liked the real Lee hwi when they were young but then with Dami it changed to love. We might see a scene of him in confusion and the acceptance of his like for him as more than a friend hence the secret love he keeps.

I can see him being confused about who he likes because he knows both the real Lee Hwi and the fake Lee Hwi. I actually can see one way of him knowing the current Lee Hwi is  not the real one where she can't remember their childhood memories.

I actually kinda want to see Dami's backstory before she came to the palace.

21 minutes ago, maria_m2me said:

Wah you mentioned about LH's mom - the crown princess, killed the court maid similiar with JW's dad. In my opinion, the difference is LH's mom clearly explained the reason and with background story about her twin murdered, LH accepted that's one life from many lives she loves. For JW's dad, his reason still not clear enough for reason to kill and effect to not kill, for sure JW's dad couldn't told JW the reason related to the girl who JW liked

Yeah, I know the action is similar but the intention is different. I-wol didn't know Dami and the real Lee Hwi are twins meanwhile the court maid clearly knows the fake Lee Hwi is a woman. It kinda shows a two-sides-of-a-coin scenario for me. Both have bloods on their hands either for good or for bad.

Edited by starveri
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, maria_m2me said:

As I remember beside Hyun, Lee Hwi also has another cousin, who is he?

I have checked again, Lee Hwi's another cousin Prince Wonsan, he joined the Royal Hunt, but he's not the annoying uncle. He's the one who looks so quiet and cold.

7 minutes ago, starveri said:

Yeah, I know the action is similar but the intention is different. I-wol didn't know Dami and the real Lee Hwi are twins meanwhile the court maid clearly knows the fake Lee Hwi is a woman. It kinda shows a two-sides-of-a-coin scenario for me. Both have bloods on their hands either for good or for bad.

Agree... From what I got, after LH's mother died, to protect herself and her people, LH also killed people. that's why the court lady asked why LH didn't kill the man who saw her as a woman. 

LH's eunuch also asked about that question, why LH didn't kill JW eventhough LH clearly knew that his dad killed her twin and her court maid friend

Oh yah in ep 3, JW met a woman who has a name like a name he gave to Dam-i right?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

13 hours ago, aysha106 said:

The forbidden love on Lee Hyun's character description must be of his love for the Crown Prince. Love between men is forbidden at that time right?

I get the feeling that lee hyun knows hwi is a girl. The gifts all seem to be pretty feminine (i.e flower patterned writing brush & case, jade ring). Although the mention of a forbidden love in his character description can be misleading. 

Also they explained in ep 4 that the despicable uncle is the king's step brother. 

Kim Ga On's loyalties are also another mystery. Is he a spy for the queen's camp? The queen dowager seems to be on hwi's side. Regardless, it sure is a lonely existence for hwi as dangers lurks in every corner with her not even at peace in dreams.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 1

51 minutes ago, debbsthebee said:

I get the feeling that lee hyun knows hwi is a girl. The gifts all seem to be pretty feminine (i.e flower patterned writing brush & case, jade ring). Although the mention of a forbidden love in his character description can be misleading. 

Also they explained in ep 4 that the despicable uncle is the king's step brother. 

Kim Ga On's loyalties are also another mystery. Is he a spy for the queen's camp? The queen dowager seems to be on hwi's side. Regardless, it sure is a lonely existence for hwi as dangers lurks in every corner with her not even at peace in dreams.  

Agree about the possibility that Hyun actually knew that LH's a girl. When he saved LH from the assassins in ep 2 and also in ep 4 from that tipical water accident, he seemed already knew.

Somehow I currious about the twin's dad, in front of his dad he looked begging about his twins but later in front of his wife, he's coldly left and let his daughter died. Then later the twin's mom died, he looked so worried and looked like he loved his wife. But later he crowned the new queen who has a boy for him, then he seemed so loved that younger son. Even though his wife's last request was he protected the prince. 

Till episode 4, I dislike all twin's male relative (their dad, grandpa from dad side, grandpa from mom side) because they're actually the real curse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

@Ameera AliYay, we didn't have to wait long to see Rowoon without a shirt on. Hehe.

I can't get over the number of oppas in this show. Royal tutor oppa, Hyun oppa, bodyguard oppa...It's getting confusing. Are they all going to fall in love with the Crown Prince? Who's your favourite oppa so far?

:Megalol:

Also, does anyone know whether the father is based on an actual king or a fictional king? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, starveri said:

I can see him being confused about who he likes because he knows both the real Lee Hwi and the fake Lee Hwi. I actually can see one way of him knowing the current Lee Hwi is  not the real one where she can't remember their childhood memories.

I actually kinda want to see Dami's backstory before she came to the palace.

A scene where Hyun realizing his love for Hwi (Dami) is a nice watch for sure! Him thinking "do I like guys?" or "no, I only like Hwi" and "I wish Hwi is girl" something like that...

• LOL 1
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, morganian said:

I can't get over the number of oppas in this show. Royal tutor oppa, Hyun oppa, bodyguard oppa...It's getting confusing. Are they all going to fall in love with the Crown Prince? Who's your favourite oppa so far?

:Megalol:

Also, does anyone know whether the father is based on an actual king or a fictional king? 

Hahahahaha.... We can make harem full of handsome oppa then... wkwkwkwkw... How about Wanson Prince oppa? He looks so cold and silent but so far still dunno what's his real feeling towards LH...

My favorite so far still Hyun oppa... wkwkwkwkwkwkw... I fell for SL again?

I have searched about the father, and I thought that's fictional because what I found in wikipedia that father name similiar like from Goryeo era, so we need to flashback to drama Lee Joon Gi and IU...

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Its great to see that I am not the only one who thinks that Hyuk does know that Lee Hwi is actually a woman. If this is true indeed, I am now more interested in knowing how much Hyun actually knows. If he does know that Lee Hwi is a woman, does he know about the switch or is he assuming that Lee Hwi was a woman since start? Anyway, I do hope that Hyun will continue to be on Lee Hwi's side since right now what she really needs are trustworthy allies. 

Another interesting thing is Dowager Queen's support for Lee Hwi for now. For now, it does seem like she is genuinely worried about her and also knows that the Queen has been getting a bit too much involved in the matters where she is not supposed, just like going to hunting. The Queen certainly has got plans to get her own son the Crown Prince position. I think for the balance of power, it is necessary for Dowager Queen to be on Lee Hwi's side, since it doesn't really seem like the King is fond of her now. 

I am actually curious about how and why King changed towards Lee Hwi. Is it the manipulation of the Queen, or is it that he sees Lee Hwi as a threat to his throne since Han Ki Jae holds great power and might be planning to replace the King with his grandson when the time is right, or he has started to get disappointed to the arrogance of the Crown Prince. I think it can be a mix of all three factors, or maybe some more as well. But surely it is evident that he no longer supports the Crown Prince, and it is to the point that Dowager Queen has noticed it as well. 

Jung Seok Jo seems to have found the means to control his son, and I wonder how long will this go on. Will he keep his promise and let them go once the envoy from Ming comes? I also wonder if Han Ki Jae really do plans to gain the favor of Ming for Lee Hwi as Crown Prince in order to solidify his position in the palace. 

The bodyguard is surely a suspicious guy for now. They already hinted that he was the one who shot the arrow at Lee Hwi during the hunting, since they clearly showed him to be injured with the arrow which was shot back at him, and carries the same tag on his sword as the person shown in the hunting grounds. While I for now trust Dowager Queen is genuinely worried about Lee Hwi and got her a body guard, but if Kim Ga On is actually the attacker from hunting grounds, Dowager Queen could have some other agenda as well since in palace, you can hardly trust anyone. 

Everyone knows about the strict rules in Crown Prince's quarter and Kim Ga On must have been sent as a mole to see why this much strictness is there and what Crown Prince actually hides. He could also be sent there to find the dirt on surprisingly clean Crown Prince. So, while I am not sure about him being sent by Dowager Queen to do so or by the other party who had also ordered the attack on Crown Prince, I am almost sure that Kim Ga On is not on Lee Hwi's side for now and is being sent here to spy. 

I liked this week's episodes and look forward to the next week. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

42 minutes ago, aysha106 said:

It may be that the assassination attempt on the hunting ground is connected to the Queen Dowager. Coz everyone will likely suspect the Queen who ordered them.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

While I for now trust Dowager Queen is genuinely worried about Lee Hwi and got her a body guard, but if Kim Ga On is actually the attacker from hunting grounds, Dowager Queen could have some other agenda as well since in palace, you can hardly trust anyone. 

Yes, I really do think that the Dowager Queen set up the assassination attempt in order to gain access to the Crown Prince. The new queen (or someone who is of her party) said that someone was trying to frame her, and that it was quite possibly the Crown Prince. Not much of a far stretch to assume that the prince's 'allies' set the whole thing up. 

Is the Dowager Queen aligned with the Crown Prince's maternal grandfather and not with the new queen's family? That would explain why she's siding with the Crown Prince. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

4 minutes ago, morganian said:

Is the Dowager Queen aligned with the Crown Prince's maternal grandfather and not with the new queen's family? That would explain why she's siding with the Crown Prince. 

The Queen Dowager only wants power. She may side with the one who will not become her enemy.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

I like that the fourth episode is more lighthearted than the previous ones. Is it because Jiwoon is an unlicensed physician that his friends are punished? LOL at Lee Hwi's ridiculous attempts to kick Jiwoon out. But he can't give up when his friends' lives are at stake here. I love his answer to the lotus seed, instead of being tainted by the mud, you can clear out the mud. Him giving Hwi his hat is the better move, learn that Hyun.

I love the animal motifs for the male members of the royal family. While the cousins have cool animals, the half brother is a rabbit and the despicable uncle is a vole (a type of rodent). I will start calling Hyun Hawk Oppa. You guys have convinced me that Hyun does know Hwi's a girl. I keep imagining how he knows that. The cruelest way is him seeing the real Lee Hwi's dead body and accidentally saw Hwi as a girl. Him putting 2 and 2 together and decided to protect her even though he was devastated by his cousin's death. I hope that's not it though.

All the main characters have appeared! It seems that Kim Gaon will push Hwi's buttons, starting with him ignoring the five steps rule. I guess his storyline is him being a spy but once he gets to know Hwi and be close to her, he will truly be loyal to her. Based on their encounter, it seems Hakyung will like Hwi, setting up the love pentagon.

Edited by starveri
  • Like 4
  • Blob 2

I just watched ep 3 and wow what a packed episode. I enjoyed it so much - especially after being disappointed by other dramas. But I didn’t like the flash back scene already?!?! It’s only ep.3!!! 

I really like the cinematography, direction and how the story is unfolding - it’s well balanced between plot, character development, and so far no filler scenes! I do think our male lead and second male lead looks very similar (both actors are new to me - they are both tall, small face, and good looking. I had to pause the screen to stare at their faces to distinguish them. Lol!

I love our PEB’s cold stares and when she gets into icy crown price character! She is really doing so amazing in this role. Very impressed - she is so good at eyes acting and how she controlled her voice as the crown prince. Not too much or over acting. 

Ah the ending to episode 3 just wrecked our girl’s plan lol Also, I love the opening title’s animation - it’s perfect! 

oh ep.4 ! Ji-Un’s father is truly evil to manipulate his own son by attacking his friends. I hope he can rescue them. 

I am loving our prince’s attempt to get rid of her tutor - it was entertaining to see how all the Royal tutors are afraid of our CP lol. oh and our CP is building her own fc with members of both sex. 

The whole exam scene was amazing! The layers and double entendres! It was also very meaningful to both our leads on multiple levels too. I’ve missed these kind of scenes - getting more rare now a days. Also loved the scene on the bridge after the drinking party. 

I def can feel the chemistry coming through with both MLs. Ah it is going to be a long wait until next week. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 6
  • Blob 2

It honestly felt weird that they were playing really sweet songs in the backgound when Ji-un was tying Dami's hat. :joy: Technically at this point, Ji-un only knows her as Lee Hwi/as a guy but I guess were seeing it from Dami's perspective?

And I agree with everyone that Hyun might know she is a girl, and that he likes her! He was pretty observant with regards to the ring and to give it to her as well (although when did he have the time to buy it?? I thought they ran out immediately from the shop haha!)

The ring looked lovely and provides a contrast to Ji-un's association with lotus flowers. 

• Like 6