[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

Intro for March 17, 2022

Pachinka-1.jpg

Lainey
ON 17.03.2022
Dear Gossips,  

Apple TV’s Pachinko, adapted from Min Jin Lee’s acclaimed novel by the same name, starts streaming on March 25 with the first three episodes dropping right away and then one a week until all eight are released. Reviews so far have been really strong. Rolling Stone called it “one of the best things on TV” and IndieWire says that it’s a “gorgeous family drama that’s the closest TV can get to a shared memory”. And this is a series with lots of subtitles, in different colours too, because we’re dealing with multiple languages: mostly Korean, Japanese, and English.

Apple’s put a lot into this one, with a first season budget (they’re hoping for a four-season run) that reportedly exceeds what HBO was spending on Game of Thrones. Because while Pachinko is for sure a family drama, it’s also a sweeping epic across generations and continents with an international cast and crew, directed by Kogonada and Justin Chon, that could possibly be contending for awards. Squid Game, as we’ve seen, has broken through the North American awards system this year and is still eligible for Emmys contention in September. Pachinko will also be eligible. Do we live in world where two non-English language drama series could be contending for Best Drama?

There’s still a ways to go for that, and showrunner Soo Hugh is aware of the pressure, telling Vanity Fair that she:

“…feels the responsibility of shepherding a barrier-breaking show and what it could mean if it fails after its debut, not just for the future of this series, but for the fact that it means other shows like this one could lose out on the opportunity to be made. “I wish I could say that it was just a question for Pachinko to bear, but just because we are on the vanguard of this, I feel a lot of responsibility, of not wanting to be the show that sunk it all for a while.”

Given the critical response so far, the quality is obviously there, now it’s a matter of momentum and attention. One of the ways Pachinko might attract that attention is through its cast, including reigning Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner Youn Yuh-jung and superstar Lee Min-ho who were both at the premiere last night. Lee Min-ho is one of the most famous actors in East Asia, one of the most followed celebrities from South Korea. Korean content is now far past niche – not when you consider that the streaming giants are now competing with each other to invest in Korean production and talent after seeing the success of how Netflix’s steady strategy over the last few years has paid off. Netflix’s extensive library of Korean series is one of the big reasons for its growth, a development that mainstream media outlets didn’t bother paying attention to, which is why this might be news for some of you reading this. But the audience is there, all around the world. And to go back to Lee Min-ho, he’s just as big of a celebrity as Jake Gyllenhaal, for example, and many of his western counterparts, who may seem to get more mainstream coverage, at least when you consider “mainstream” through a North American lens.

Interestingly, Natalie Portman made a surprise appearance last night at the premiere. I’m not sure exactly what her relationship to the production is, or if there even is one, but she posed on the carpet

with Theresa Kang-Lowe so that may be the immediate connection.

Spoiler

https://photos.laineygossip.com/embeds/natalie-embed-17mar22-0001.jpg

Natalie Portman and Theresa Kang-Lowe attend the red carpet event for the global premiere of Apple's "Pachinko" at Academy Museum of Motion Pictures on March 16, 2022 in Los Angeles, California

Theresa Kang-Lowe is a power player in Hollywood. She was an agent for a number of years, the “first Asian American to be promoted to partner at WME” and the “first Asian American woman to launch a management and production company with an exclusive deal” (with Apple) through her Blue Marble Pictures and Blue Marble Management companies. She is one of the executive producers of Pachinko and also represents Alfonso Cuaron and Lena Waithe, among others. This woman is a baller. Baller enough to bring out Natalie Portman for her first public appearance of 2022.

Yours in gossip,

Lainey

https://www.laineygossip.com/reviews-for-apple-tv-pachinko-sweeping-epic-across-generations-and-continents-have-been-really-strong-so-far/70581

PHOTOS AND VIDEOS: ‘PACHINKO’ PREMIERE IN LOS ANGELES

Posted On 17 March 2022By Direzione

201491-photos-and-videos-pachinko-premie

The famous Korean TV series Pachinko, which is based on a best selling novel by the same name authored by Min Jin Lee, has been making headlines already, even before releasing on the OTT platform Apple TV+. Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, Los Angeles hosted the premiere of the show on 16 March attended by many famous guests, including the cast members.

The premiere of Pachinko

At the premiere, the Pachinko cast, including Yuh-Jung Youn, Lee Minho, Jin Ha, Minha Kim, Anna Sawai, Eunchae Jung, Inji Jeong, Jimmi Simpson, Soji Arai, Yu-na Jeon, were seen bringing their sartorial A-game at the red carpet. Executive producers Theresa Kang-Lowe and Soo Hugh, along with director Kogonada, were also spotted sharing some behind the scenes moments from the shoot.

Lee Minho

Pachinko.jpg

Image Credit: Tommaso Boddi/FilmMagic/Getty Images

At the premiere, Lee Minho looked dapper as he chose to don a classic black pinstripe suit with a matching pair of well-fitted pants and teamed it with a dark blue shirt. He spoke about what drew him to the character of Hansu, why he wanted to be a part of the show, how different is his work in Pachinko as compared to his previous roles and the famous dance in the opening sequence of the series.

Lee Minho on what drew him to #Pachinko: “The story was powerful. I loved it. I could really relate to the strength & resilience of the people who had to live through those desperate & difficult times. My character Hansu has his own way of survival which is quite heartbreaking.” pic.twitter.com/CTJ6Sas9vI

— Variety (@Variety) March 17, 2022

Lee Minho told Variety, “The story was powerful. I loved it. I could really relate to the strength and resilience of the people who had to live through those desperate and difficult times. My character Hansu has his own way of survival which is quite heartbreaking.”

How is Lee Minho’s role in #Pachinko different from his previous work? “Hansu is a much darker character. I think everyone has some kind of good & evil inside them. Hansu is a character that goes from good to kind of bad or evil…it’s challenging, but it was different & good.” pic.twitter.com/bgkUgdBIIF

Lee Minho also spoke about his character Hansu and mentioned that it is a dark character. The actor truly believes that there is good and evil within everyone and that is why he was able to relate to his character. He said, “Hansu is a character that goes from good to kind of bad or evil…it’s challenging, but it was different and good.”

Lee Minho on #Pachinko‘s opening sequence: “I wouldn’t really call it a dance. It was kind of like movement. My fans know that I’m a bad dancer!” pic.twitter.com/gosnBF2FOn

Talking about the famous dance sequence, the actor said, “I wouldn’t really call it a dance. It was kind of like movement. My fans know that I’m a bad dancer!” Giving a little more detail about Lee Minho’s refusal to dance and some behind the scene information about the shoot, the executive producer of the show Soo Hugh said, “No matter what songs we played, no matter how we tried to get him up…you know!”

#Pachinko executive producer Soo Hugh jokes about Lee Minho’s refusal to dance: “No matter what songs we played, no matter how we tried to get him up…you know!” pic.twitter.com/MFJG4fkQQV

The actor also talked about Korean and Korean-American stories getting their due importance in Hollywood. He told Entertainment Tonight, “We now live in a global community without any silos so we can easily share our stories amongst each other and that’s why the once-neglected people are under the light.”

#Pachinko‘s Lee Min-ho is so proud that more Korean American stories are being spotlighted and given a platform to share with a larger audience. pic.twitter.com/J2ihSgV7Ls

— Entertainment Tonight (@etnow) March 17, 2022

Minha Kim

Minha Kim on sharing a role with Yuh-Jung Youn in #Pachinko: “I was so honored having the opportunity to play the same role as her and to connect with her.” pic.twitter.com/uS4xWcLj0J

Minha Kim, who portrays the role of teenager Sunja in Pachinko, the show that features multiple-generations, spoke about sharing her character with one of Korean cinema’s revered icons Yuh-Jung Youn. She said, “I was so honoured having the opportunity to play the same role as her and to connect with her.”

At the event, Minha Kim was a vision in white. She wore a crisp white shirt with baggy sleeves and teamed it with a tulle skirt with intricate floral print.

Yuh-Jung Youn, Jin Ha and other celebrities on the red carpet

Spoiler

Pachinka.jpg

The legendary actor Yuh-Jung Youn went for a classic all-black full-length dress and paired it with an elegant string of pearls. Black Swan actor Natalie Portman also graced the occasion looking fierce in a bright red bodycon dress and she completed the monotone look with an oversized blazer and matching heels. However, it was Jin Ha’s attire that stole the show. The actor stood out from the rest of his cast in his traditional pink and blue ensemble.

Spoiler

Pachinka-1.jpg

Jung Eun-chae also opted for an all-black look and wore a tulle black skirt which she teamed with a well-fitted buttoned-down blazer top. Just like most of the cast, Soji Arai was also seen in an all-black ensemble which consisted of a black suit with matching pants and a crisp shirt.

What is Pachinko about?

#Pachinko comes to Apple TV+ on March 25, starring Academy Award® winner Yuh-Jung Youn, @actorleeminho, @mistterjin, and Minha Kim.
__

3월 25일 Apple TV+에 찾아오는 #파친코. 아카데미 수상 배우 윤여정, @actorleeminho, @mistterjin, 그리고 김민하

— Apple TV+ (@AppleTVPlus) March 15, 2022

Pachinko is a popular betting game in Japan and the TV series portrays a family that gets a chance to change their lives through the game. The series is based on a book by the same name and it chronicles the life of Sunja. It is a story based on the era when Japan invaded Korea.

Sunja is a young girl who helps her mother run a boarding house and leads a rather uneventful life. Things change when she meets Koh Hansu (Lee Minho) who stands out from the rest of the crowd. The two fall in love but cannot be together as Hansu is already married. Not wanting to be the mistress of Hansu, a pregnant Sunja marries a minister named Isaak Baek (Steve Sang-hyun) and tries to move away but the two cannot get out of each other’s life.

Pachinko will start streaming on Apple TV+ from March 25.

(Main and Feature Image Credit: Tommaso Boddi/FilmMagic/Getty Images)

The post Photos and Videos: ‘Pachinko’ premiere in Los Angeles appeared first on Lifestyle Asia Hong Kong.

https://ugolini.co.th/ugolini/photos-and-videos-pachinko-premiere-in-los-angeles/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

what we all need in kdrama [ A strong woman character  inspiration   ] 

** @Thong Thin she will need to be strong to handle oppa charm and kisses lol 

How could she resist when oppa has the charm that no woman can denied.

I am about finished reading the book,is sooooo good.:love:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 3

1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

How could she resist when oppa has the charm that no woman can denied.

I am about finished reading the book,is sooooo good.:love:

I'm glad you are enjoying the book @Thong Thin.  It will be interesting how many like the adaptation as much or more than the book.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

#Pachinko coming to Apple TV+ on March 25th. Academy Award-winning actor Yoon Yeo-jung, Lee Min-ho, Jinha, and Kim Min-ha. You can watch it on Apple TV+

Amazing opening credits!

@Thong Thin great to know you're enjoying the book. Just in time before the series release

• Like 5

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220318002700315

'Pachinko' tells universal story of immigrants through Korean family: director

By Kim Boram | March 18, 2022

012039DC-8A71-4A18-917F-958ADE34C6B7.jpg
▲ A teaser poster of "Pachinko" by Apple TV+ (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

FCE11B5B-F5EA-49CE-A24F-900FA6E92B3D.jpg
▲ This photo provided by Apple TV+ shows the cast of "Pachinko." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, March 18 (Yonhap) -- A co-director of the upcoming period drama "Pachinko" said Friday the show is specifically about a Korean family moving to Japan in the 20th century, but it also tells a timelessly universal story of immigrants throughout the world.

Based on the namesake novel written by Korean American author Min Jin Lee, the latest Apple TV+ original series depicts the life of Sunja, born to a poor family in Busan in the early 1900s. The 1910-1945 Japanese colonial rule forces her to move to Japan, and she and her family have to go through a tough life there even after the Second World War.

The series is one of the most anticipated projects for its multinational production in Canada, South Korea and Japan; the all-star cast, including Oscar-winning Youn Yuh-jung; and another story about Koreans from the past made by Korean American creators following the 2020 immigrant film "Minari."

"I think this story is specific to Korean history, but it is also deeply universal," Kogonada, who co-directed the eight-part series with Justin Chon, said in an online interview with Korean media from Los Angeles.

"Even today, we know that people are being displaced, and families are having to make choices on how to survive. And this is a common story throughout history," he said. "So we knew that this would be a story for everyone, because it's ongoing quest for perseverance and endurance as a family."

Kogonada said he was amazed by Youn's performance in "Pachinko," where she plays Sunja in her 80s, who lives in Japan as a Zainichi, a Japanese word for ethnic Koreans who have permanent residency status in Japan but don't have Japanese passports.

"Her face to me was like a map of human history and Korean history, and the notes that she can play on her face are really remarkable to me," he said. "After every scene, I just wanted one more scene of her in front of our lens because she has that ability to play the most subtle notes. It's captivating."

Youn said she newly learned about the history of Zainichi Koreans through the project, representing the painful history of Korea, which did not dare to look after those immigrants as it experienced the Korean War a few years after the liberation in 1945.

"I tried to express the long period of time that those people have endured. I learned a lot about history," she said. "I hope the Korean audience feels this part through 'Pachinko.'"

The 74-year-old actress added her Sunja in "Pachinko" is quite different from her role of Soonja in "Minari," a livewire grandmother who visits her immigrant daughter living in America in the early 1980s, in terms of the time and the place.

In a separate interview, Youn said she had put extra efforts to represent the Zainichi woman's multifaceted grief and love for her family in Japanese when filming a scene resolving a generation gap with her grandson Solomon (Jin Ha).

It is her first time acting partly in Japanese, while she has appeared in some American titles, including "Minari," and the sci-fi TV series "Sense 8." 

"It is an emotional take, but it was so difficult for me because I don't speak Japanese at all," she said. "I memorized the lines and practiced all the time, even after drinking, to express my emotion properly through a foreign language."

But the latest project helped the veteran thespian, whose acting career spans more than five decades, feel refreshed passion and enthusiasm for portraying a new character, which she hadn't felt for a long time.

"Sunja is a woman who overcomes all the obstacles and misfortunes, but she never loses her dignity. This is what I want to present on behalf of all Korean women in Japan," she said. "So I really wanted to do this role from the beginning. It's been a long while since I have had this kind of eagerness in acting."

Star actor Lee Min-ho plays Hansu, a Zainichi Korean merchant, who falls in love with young Sunja, played by Kim Min-ha.

"This story will impress all people regardless of their nationality and language," he said. "I hope this show will resonate with many people."

Lee, who rose to stardom with the romantic comedy "The Heirs" (2013), said he wants to expand his horizons to Hollywood through "Pachinko," in which he speaks at least three languages -- English, Japanese and Korean, as well as the dialect of Jeju Island, which is fairly different from standard Korean.

"I know it's very difficult to express emotions in a language that is not my mother tongue," the 34-year-old actor said. "But I strongly want to learn more languages and communicate with others. So I can do what I have to do for those who want my performance no matter where they are."

The first three episodes of "Pachinko" will premiere next Friday, and the remaining five episodes will be released one by one every subsequent Friday. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

https://zapzee.net/2022/03/18/lee-min-ho-talks-about-his-comeback-apple-tv-drama-patchinko-on-its-online-press-conference/
Lee Min Ho Talks About His Upcoming Apple TV+ Drama ‘Patchinko’ on Its Online Press Conference

by Eungee Joh

Lee Min Ho shared his thoughts on filming his upcoming Apple TV+ series.

On the 18th, Apple TV+ held an online press conference for its new South Korean series, Pachinko, in LA.

The online event was attended by Yoon Yuh Jung, Kim Min Ha, Lee Min Ho, Jin Ha, and director Kogonada, along with his executive producers Sue Hue, Michael Ellenberg and Teresa Kang.

At the media conference, Lee Min Ho briefly introduced his role by saying, “I will be playing a man named Ko Han Soo, a Yakuza and merchant who travels back and forth between Korea and the United States. He meets a wonderful young woman named Sun Ja and falls into a dangerous yet fateful love.”

The actor also shared what it was like winning the role through an audition. He said that it had been almost 13 years since he had competed for a role in an audition: “It has been well over a decade since I have last auditioned for my role in Boys Over Flowers. As I had The King: Eternal Monarch going on at that time, I jumped on the audition a little later than I should have. I feel like a new man be back on the auditioning process, and I’m thrilled to be selected for something so competitive.”

Regarding his glamorous fashion in the upcoming series, he remarked, “For the clothes, rather than simply giving a glimpse of that era, I tried to consider my costume as weapons that sometimes defend me and other times can show people who I am. I tried on a lot of different clothes to express the character of Han Soo.”

Patchinko is an eight-part series that will be dropping on Apple TV+. The streaming service will release its first three episodes on March 25th and release the rest of them one by one every Friday from April 29th.

Source (1)

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

"Pachinko" LEE MINHO is aiming to be global beyond Asia

spacer.png

Actor Lee Min-ho will go global beyond Asia. He expressed his original love through Apple TV+ Pachinko, his first American film. Familiar with sweet romance, he meets viewers around the world with a story focusing on survival in an era drama set during the Japanese colonial period. Forecasting a transformation in his image, he took on a new challenge 13 years ago with his initial commitment during the drama "Boys Over Flowers."

Pachinko is based on the New York Times bestselling book of the same name. It is a story that begins with forbidden love and depicts unforgettable chronology of war, peace, love and separation, victory and judgment between Korea and Japan and the United States. A total of eight episodes were made. It unravels the hopes and dreams of Korean immigrant families who have left their home countries with an indomitable will to survive and prosperity in four generations. In the play, Lee Min-ho played the role of Ko Han-soo. It will be released worldwide on Apple TV+ on March 25.

Q: You auditioned and joined. Did Apple TV+ know about you?

"I know that the audition proceeded about six rounds in total, but I think I saw it in the fourth round. I didn't know about the audition because the drama ' The King' was being filmed in the first, second and third rounds. After that, I was auditioned through Korean productions. There was talk about what role I was going to audition for. They asked which characters among Hansoo, Isaac and Solomon I wanted to audition for. I didn't know if they knew me until I auditioned for the show and participated in it (laughs), but I heard the story behind it, and I didn't want to influence the decision."

Q: Did you know about the original work when you were offered an audition?

"I didn't read about the novel, but I only knew the title. It is a novel that I read while filming."

Q: What did you prepare before you started shooting?

"I focused on preparing for the language and how to maintain the sensibility of the time. I prepared these two the most. Thankfully, both writers and directors helped me maintain those emotions through continuous questions. In a way, I was able to maintain my emotions without rest."

Q: Why were you attracted to the masterpiece?

"It's my first time playing this kind of role. I thought that I wanted to communicate with more people and the desire to talk more honestly. And I thought the message of this work was a story that penetrated the times. I sympathized with Hansu's way of surviving, and it was different from the previous characters I've played. He is a character that existed in a desperate reality. In that respect, I was most attracted to it. In this work, I tried to empathize with the emotions of that era very realistically. I didn't pay much attention to my appearance or anything like that. I tried to have an appearance that could represent the era as it is."

Kogonada and Justin Chon directed four episodes each.

"Their personal tendencies are very different. Director Kogonada is shy and expresses it in a dual way in expression. Director Justin Chon is passionate and seems to be in front of everything. However, in conclusion, the most important part for both of them was sincerity. Both of them were communicating a lot with the actors from the beginning and the main focus was on feeling and making it in the times. I often asked, "How was it?" I think the important point was whether the actors really felt it or whether they felt its sincerity through the monitor."

You spoke Japanese and Jeju dialect in the series.

"One of the things I really liked about this time was that I felt supported by the parts I needed in great detail. It was good that the Japanese coach, Jeju dialect coach, and acting coach set up a system so that actors could prepare something systematically."

-The opening credits was different from the overall atmosphere of the work. The dance that exploded the excitement inside was impressive.

"I wasn't confident in dancing, but I asked a lot of questions on the day of shooting, like, "Can I really stay like this?"' "Can we have fun like this?"' In conclusion, after looking at the work, I thought the real appearance that viewers wanted to see after a heavy and deep narrative was in the opening sequence. I thought someone might want to see a bright smile."

You appeared with actress Yoon Yeo-jung in the series.

"I didn't see her performance in person at the set. I wanted to look into her eyes and breathe, but I couldn't. That's the most disappointing point."

Q: How was your chemistry with Kim Min-ha, an actor who plays the role of Sunja?

"Regardless of acting career or experience, I think the most important thing in an actor's job is to communicate with each other in a comfortable state and create synergy. After deciding to appear in the show, I met with Minha in private and we talked about our lives. We tried to have time to be comfortable with each other."

Q: Actors of various nationalities will appear. Are there any actors you've become friends with?

"I exchanged direct messages with actors other than Korean actors. As the work itself went back and forth between the times, there were not as many exchanges between specific characters as expected. There was no time to communicate deeply. Rather, we were talking a lot after the event through this schedule."

Q: Are you looking forward to making Season 2?

"Well, there's no clear ending to the story of the characters in season one. Shouldn't our story continue?(Laughs)

Spoiler

Q: It's your first work in the U.S. Is there any modifier you want to be called before your name?

"The nickname I want to be called is actor Lee Min-ho. The modifiers such as star Lee Min-ho and Hallyu star Lee Min-ho are not titles anyone can have, but I think I'm happiest when I'm called actor Lee Min-ho because I'm more sincere and my job name is an actor. As before, I always want to do my best wherever I have a story that I think is meaningful. As the trend of the times and good projects have started, I will continue to work hard if there is a good story and a place that needs me."

Q: I heard you had a meal with your senior, Lee Jung-jae the other day. What kind of conversation did you have?

"First of all, three days ago, I congratulated and respected my senior for receiving his third acting award for Netflix's original 'Squid Game. It seems to be in the same vein as the story of Pachinko. I think the current K-content is drawing attention because of our seniors and seniors above it. I think it is important for us to do our best silently in the given situation as actors."

Q: How is senior Lee Jung-jae to you?

"His existence alone makes you reflect on yourself and motivate yourself. Basically, he is passionate and diligent in his work as an actor. Just seeing that from the side makes me think that I should work harder."

Q: What are your plans or goals for the future?

"First of all, I think I'll greet you through a Korean drama this year. The goal I want to achieve in the future is to leave as many works as possible. I have a lot of thoughts like that, and I want to work diligently. Please pay a lot of attention to Pachinko."

https://n.news.naver.com/mnews/article/437/0000292898?sid=103

@Thong Thin, my busy life wouldn't let me read past chapter 1. :sweatingbullets: So I'm taking the brave route of watching the series amidst everyone else having read the book. Maybe I'll share my perspective and thoughts on the series from the viewpoint of someone who hasn't read the book...yet. :D   

• Like 5

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2022/03/actor-jin-ha-turns-heads-in-hanbok-at.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Actor Jin Ha turns heads in a hanbok at 'Pachinko' global premiere

Friday, March 18, 2022
AVvXsEh5EDHCd4uiZXLrXc0ebQX_G1vCPIYkPaU6

hahaha that hanbok really looks pretty though, and i like how it matches the pachinko background :D

LMH's new hairstyle is also great. ~ unfortunately i probably won't be able to watch the premier, but i will watch as soon as i have time!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

https://variety.com/2022/scene/news/lee-minho-minha-kim-pachinko-premiere-1235208632/

‘Pachinko’ Creators and Stars on Navigating Lee Minho’s ‘Orbit,’ and Spotlighting Women as ‘the Backbone of History’

pachinko-cast.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

By Angelique Jackson

Korean superstar Lee Minho sent camera flashbulbs into a frenzy on Wednesday night at the premiere of his new Apple TV Plus series “Pachinko” at the Academy Museum in Los Angeles.

Based on the bestselling book by Min Jin Lee, “Pachinko” chronicles a Korean immigrant family across four generations, with its story centered around matriarch Sunja, played by newcomers Yu-na Jeon and Minha Kim, as well as Oscar-winner Yuh-Jung Youn. Lee plays Hansu, whose romance with Sunja changes the course of both their lives.

Despite his lengthy resume, and his worldwide celebrity, Lee Minho actively pursued the producers behind the show and auditioned for the role. On the red carpet, the actor explained why he simply had to be part of the show.

“First of all, the story was powerful. I loved it,” he told Variety. “I could really relate to the strength and resilience of the people who had to live those desperate and difficult times. And my character Hansu has his own way of survival, which is quite heartbreaking.”

Lee noted that the character is “much darker” than his previous roles: “Everyone has some kind of good and evil inside them, but Hansu is a character that goes from good to kind of bad or evil. It’s challenging, but it was different and good.”

Executive producer Michael Ellenberg sang the actor’s praises, noting that Lee gave the character “a depth and a texture that we didn’t know we could have,” especially in a dramatic episode where audiences learn about Hansu’s origins.

“He’s such an incredible star and such incredible actor, and he really saw this opportunity to show sides of himself that audiences hadn’t seen before. So he chased us; he fought hard for it … he was so brave in putting himself out there.”

Kogonada, who both served as an executive producer and split directing duties with Justin Chon, also weighed in on the Lee Minho factor.

“I mean, he’s an orbit, right?” Kogonada mused. “But what was so lovely about him is how committed he was to this particular role, and how undistracted he was because there was always fans from afar screaming his name.”

Yet, the filmmaker explained, “[Lee] cared so deeply about this role and about this project, he was so focused on the details of every scene. It’s always remarkable when someone is a universe in and of themselves, but they are also highly focused on the task at hand.”

But while Lee was up for the drama, he wasn’t as eager to groove to the music in the series’ opening credits sequence, which features the cast dancing in a pachinko parlor to “Let’s Live for Today,” by The Grass Roots.

“I wouldn’t really call it a dance,” Lee said, shyly, of his performance. “It was kind of like movement. My fans know that I’m a bad dancer.”

Writer, showrunner, creator and executive producer Soo Hugh confirmed his account of things.

“He refused to dance, yes. No matter what songs we played, no matter how we tried to get him up,” she said with a smile, adding that she was widely impressed by the dance talents of many in the cast, like Jin Ha (who just wrapped a run on Broadway as Aaron Burr in “Hamilton”; the actor plays Solomon, Sunja’s grandson), Soji Arai (Mozasu, Sunja’s son and Solomon’s father) and Minha Kim.

The cast is rounded out by Anna Sawai (Naomi), Eunchae Jung (Young Kyunghee), Inji Jeong (Yangjin), Kaho Minami (Etsuko), Steve Sanghyun Noh (Isak), Junwoo Han (Yoseb), Jimmi Simpson (Tom Andrews) and Yu-na Jeon (young Sunja).

Where much of the ensemble is made up of industry veterans, the epic series marks Minha Kim’s first major role. She was drawn to the part of teenage Sunja because of the character’s complex dynamics.

“[Sunja] has a lot of strengths in herself and is sometimes fragile, but she knows how to survive and she has all kinds of wisdom,” Kim observed. “I felt like I had to do this because it represents all the women around the world.”

Kim also reflected on sharing a character with Youn, whose iconic career spans 50 years, most recently celebrated by her historic best supporting actress win last year for “Minari.”

“I was so honored by having the opportunity to play the same role with her and to connect with her, so it was amazing,” she added.

Kogonada emphasized just how crucial it is to bring a perspective like Sunja’s to a wider audience.

“Sunja is constantly knocked down. She makes choices that have really incredible consequences, and you expect for her to shrivel,” he began, explaining the importance of showing those “turning point moments” and the aftermath of them throughout the show.

He continued: “Women are the backbone of families and history often overlooks these mothers, and grandmothers, and daughters, that we all know in our families that there are these sort of epic stories of these women who could not give up, who were just constantly persevering and resilient. Bringing that to life was a real pleasure and joy.”

Guests at the event included executive producers Theresa Kang-Lowe and Lindsey Springer, as well as industry notables like Zoe Chao, Greta Lee, Ashley Park, Ally Maki, Damon Lindelof and Natalie Portman.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 3

On 3/17/2022 at 3:16 PM, syntyche said:

Celebrating Lee Min Ho and the pachinko_tv_series cast with a photo call! Show coming soon to appletv! 

Cr:missbega IG

Any idea when this will be on apple TV?  Excited to watch it

All about ‘Pachinko’: Minha Kim and Lee Min-ho on being part of the epic saga

author-default.pngS. Poorvaja
March 18, 2022 15:03 IST
Updated: March 18, 2022 15:19 IST
A still from ‘Pachinko’

A still from ‘Pachinko’

The Korean actors speak about their sweeping drama, directed by Kogonada and Justin Chon, that is set to premiere on Apple TV+ later this month

It is no easy task to adapt a book as masterful, evocative, and immersive as Min Jin Lee’s 2017 bestseller Pachinko. The sweeping, expansive tale of family ties, hope, grief, and survival follows four generations of a Korean family through a story that unfolds across seminal moments in history beginning with Japan’s annexation of Korea. 

As an Apple TV+ Series, the epic saga directed by Kogonada and Justin Chon is not just backed by a massive scale of production, but a prolific and diverse cast which includes Academy Award winner Yuh-Jung Youn, Minha Kim, Lee Min-Ho, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Steve Sanghyun Noh, and Jung Eun-Chae. 

When Lee Min Ho and Minha Kim sit down for an interview to discuss their roles in Pachinko, it is evident that the show has had a profound impact on them. They speak in awe of the story, and how they delved into their characters. 

Minha plays teenage Sunja, who in 1931, encounters the powerful and enigmatic fish broker Koh Hansu. Their tumultuous, forbidden love story changes the course of Sunja’s life, even as the world around her is slowly crumbling. Hansu and Sunja are characters that are extremely important for both actors; Min-Ho, a superstar of sorts, with a wide fan base across countries, and Minha, a young actress who wowed the makers during her audition.  

Only her second professional acting role, Kogonada has dubbed Minha’s performance as a ‘stunning debut,’ and one, that, he says is authentic, intense, and genuine. 

A still from ‘Pachinko’

A still from ‘Pachinko’

“I was aware of the huge scale of the show,” says Minha, when asked about her experience of working on the ambitious project early on in her career. “For me, it was important to remain focussed on the story itself. I was constantly thinking about how I should convey to the audience Sunja’s feelings and emotions,” she says, describing how she kept herself rooted.  

News about Min-Ho’s casting as Koh Hansu in 2020, was met with surprise and intrigue. The fact that he had auditioned to play the role, despite his experience, added to the buzz surrounding the series. 

One of the biggest stars of the  Hallyu wave, Min-Ho has, over the last decade, starred in several successful K-Dramas and films such as The King: Eternal Monarch and City Hunter, after making a mark with his 2009 show  Boys Over Flowers (often credited to have paved the way into the world of K-Dramas for several fans world over).

Min-Ho agrees, when told that the role is a definite departure from his body of work so far. 

“The character is very different from anything I have ever done before. When I first read the script, I was really drawn to her; I’ve always had this thirst for trying out something new, and this was the perfect opportunity.”

Showrunner Soo Hugh had said that Min-Ho really wanted to understand the character, to represent it, challenge himself, and that most importantly, he cared about it. The actor in turn, credits her for helping him add nuance, and bringing out the intricacies of Hansu on-screen. 

“I had several conversations with her. She really helped me immerse myself into the role, and challenged me. I could have gone in for filming thinking about my character ten times, but she would ask me questions, and I had to make sure I’d thought about it 20 times!” he laughs. 

For both Minha and Min Ho, it was important to strike a balance between the book and the vision that the writers and directors had for the series. 

“I read the novel before I read the script, and I tried to keep a balance to focus equally on both,” says Minha. “To bring Sunja alive, I had a lot of discussions with the directors and writers, and went on to add my own interpretation of the role with their inputs,” says Min Ha, explaining how her focus was on balancing all these elements. 

A still from ‘Pachinko’

A still from ‘Pachinko’

Min-Ho’s approach was to focus more on the script and his imagination to play the enigmatic Hansu. “When I work on projects that have an original (book), I just look at it to get a sense of it… the structure especially. I don’t dive too deep into it. Working on a bestseller like Pachinko loved by so many people, I was afraid that I would get trapped in it and that it would prohibit me from being more creative and flexible as an actor.”

The eight-part series, told in Korean-Japanese-English, is coming at a time when the Korean  Hallyu wave is at its peak in several countries, including India. The love for K-Dramas and K-pop among other cultural exports from the country has only been steadily increasing, and for many, has led them to explore the country’s history, literature, and art too. While published in 2017 to much acclaim, Lee’s book too was picked up by several new readers over the last two years.

“I think Pachinko could be a great, lasting show that people will find significant and relevant even years later. I hope it is a title that people revisit as well,” says Min-Ho. 

It is the same for him, personally as well. “I know that if I chose to watch Pachinko 10 years later, I will resonate with it,” he concludes.

Pachinko premieres March 25 on Apple TV+

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/movies/all-about-pachinko-minha-kim-and-lee-min-ho-on-being-part-of-the-epic-saga/article65237047.ece

• Like 3
  • Love 1

One more week and we will see this MASTERPIECE!!

I'm especially curious to see how they executed this information we received from LMH's Presscon in the series: 

"Our intimacy scenes and things like that are not romantic. They have been shot in places such as the sea and mountains, without any filters, as a raw, explicit and primal expression of love."

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

• Like 4
  • Love 2

MYM IG, LMH Twt update

Pachinko Online Press Conference

Let’s hear Actor Lee Minho’s thoughts about "Pachinko", which will make us more excited 

These are his words from Pachinko's online press conference! The interview shows us a glimpse of his affection for the work and intense passion for the character!

We won’t get tired of reading and reading his words until Pachinko starts 

spacer.png

The reason why Actor Lee Min Ho chose Pachinko

Spoiler

spacer.png

Q. Why did you choose Pachinko? I had a desire to do this work and this character. I was attracted because it was a work that had great power in the story. In addition, I acted for a long time with the burden of ratings and box office hits, [but now I was more free from the pressure that I was in  before]. It was great that I could freely express myself with essential emotions. Personally, it became a work that marks a new beginning.

spacer.png

Q. The reason why you chose Hansu?

I was attracted to the unorganized sensibility of Hansu. It is a character that contains emotions and stories that cannot be felt while living in this era. He has much darkness inside him, and he chose darkness as a way of survival to protect himself and move forward. Hansu came heartbreakingly close to me.

spacer.png

Q. What was the process of becoming Hansu

I wanted to express this change in which a person who was absolutely good lived in the form of absolute evil in the process of survival. In the desperate times, I thought of him as a person who was rough in his own way, looked ahead, and could kill anyone in order to live.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Q. What was your challenge as an actor?

In this work, I thought that I wanted to break from the existing refined image. It was something I wanted as an actor. However, rather than making special efforts, I thought it would be possible if I melted into this work and felt the character as it is.

spacer.png

Q. On Kim Min-ha, who plays the role of Sunja

There is a scene where Hansu meets a Sunja for the first time. I tried not to simply express love at first sight. I tried to draw a scene that makes me look back on my inner self and past through Sunja, where humans feel strong attraction. Rather than being romantic, I expressed his love openly.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1