[Drama 2020] Lies of Lies/ Lie After Lie, 거짓말의 거짓말

larus

47 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Oh thank goodness! :D

I'm not nit-picky (just when it comes to what I'm choosing to watch) but I just noticed we don't know where she lives and if she found work or anything. If she wants her daughter back... if that ever happens the way she thinks... she needs a stable life.

She goes to a little room that she crashes between stalking her little girl. She's not thinking now, after being 'life is not worth living', it's a fast turnaround. Maybe it was just a few weeks since she was released and taxi fares have been the only expense she had, so she does not have money problems yet. 
KDramas tend to run a day or two per episode. 

Lee Yoo Ri's face looks much thinner than her earlier shows. Is it because she's almost 40 or over? Or something else? :rolleyes:

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Jillia said:

@Lmangla

Yes, and it feels almost unredeemable to me. The chairwoman is really evil. I think she is also ruthless and absolutely capable of having her own son killed. Just like she might've been capable to have Eun Soo's father killed. I feel like her former secretary had nothing to do with that because when he conveyed the news to her, he seemed rather shocked himself.

I also like that Kang Ji Min is wary because of Kim Ho Ran. He was throwing shade left and right at her. Once at the event for her new book and then at the gallery. To say something so openly about money laundering. Yikes! I get he is good at his job, hence why the director wants him back at the local news department but he could keep his mouth shut and not openly accuse her. At least not until he got evidence.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how everything is going to unfold over the next episodes. I thought it was also nice to have a parallel between Eun Soo and Ji Min since he ripped the photo of his wife apart and he saw Eun Soo do the same with the photo of her "child". So he doesn't understand what's going on but it's not unfamiliar to him. It's also going to be a intense situation when he will find out she has been the woman he tried to get in contact with 10 years ago and he adopted her daughter. When feelings are involved everything will be so much more difficult. And there might be a sense of betrayal because he might know that she approached him for her daughter and not for him.

Honestly that was stupid of him. The chairman is someone with money and power. She had enough power to call all those reporters at her wimp. He really needs to be careful. 

I am enjoying this drama. I like that the female lead is not a push over. 

JM ex-wife is probably coming back to woo JM. We might have a love triangle. 

@brooksmom I get what you are saying about the holidays, but the subbers at Viki often pull shenanigans like this, holidays or not, and then complain they are volunteering. I think they might as well strike until they are paid and do work on time like everyone else. After all, subscribers are paying for their work, they aren't getting it for free! 

Gosh, I am so glad Lee Yoo Ri gets right into intense. It's why I watch her.

Re her money: savings, and they earn in prison. They showed her doing sewing. So, savings from before, her sewing work, anything she inherited etc.  She is probably living in a motel type place so cheaply. 

Re thin face: some of us get chubby around 40! So I expect it's dieting and jaw botox.  If she was preparing for a character who was stressed from ten years of angst in prison, Lee Yoo Ri might well have lost weight for the role. She is a pro.

I wonder if abusive late hubby wasn't the chairwoman's real son? Maybe he was forced on her as some illegitimate son of her late husband and so she didn't mind throwing away a grandchild that wasn't really hers? 

On the other hand, maybe she is just that narcissistic and crazy.

And I love how Ji Min takes digs at the chairwoman, letting people know her intentions with her "good works."

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

Viki is at 97% and 98% right now.

Thanks but I'm waiting to throw myself a party and binge watch this drama coz I don't think I can take the stress of having to wait for the weekends when there's a cliff hanger for this crash melo.

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Yes it's a bit unfortunate. Especially when Ji Min believes the Chairwoman is doing criminal things he should be more careful instead of openly stating his distate. I also get he is a journalist and those tend to be very dramatic but on the other hand good journalist also tend to be careful when they want to eventually write an article.

But I think he might become more cautious when he finds out that he wasn't wrong about the murder of Eun Soo's husband and that the Chairwoman might be involved. :)

Also, welcome to the thread, @Susu, @chickfactor and @memory magnet! :D

Thank You. I am loving this drama. Cant wait for the romance and revenge. :grin:

How will our lead actress win over the JM. He all ready has a bad impression of her so far. Will she tell him about her daughter? Or lie to get close. We will see. 

Lee Yoo Ri Talks About What To Keep An Eye On In Her New Suspense-Romance Drama “Lie After Lie”

c45d8aa8e7ad465292db31515a3c6486.jpeg?s=

Sep 7, 2020
by E. Cha

Lee Yoo Ri has shared her thoughts on her latest drama!

Channel A’s “Lie After Lie” is a new suspense-romance drama about a woman who is willing to lie and put her life on the line in order to be reunited with her biological daughter. Lee Yoo Ri stars as Ji Eun Soo, a woman whose life falls apart in the blink of an eye when she is accused of murdering her abusive husband, the heir to a chaebol family. Despite her insistence that she is innocent, she ends up going to prison for his murder and losing custody of her daughter.

The drama got off to a strong start this past weekend, with viewership ratings more than doubling for its second episode.

Describing why she had been drawn to the drama and the role of Ji Eun Soo, Lee Yoo Ri recalled, “After reading Parts 1 through 4 of the script, I wanted to appear in the drama so badly. My last drama was a comedy, so I wanted to do something sincere and heartbreaking this time, even if it was difficult.”

The actress also showed a deep affection for her character, explaining, “Even though Eun Soo’s situation may seem like a far-off story, it’s actually something that can happen even to our closest friends and neighbors. I don’t think of myself as separate from Eun Soo.”

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1424034wpp/lee-yoo-ri-talks-about-what-to-keep-an-eye-on-in-her-new-suspense-romance-drama-lie-after-lie

4 hours ago, Jillia said:

Yes it's a bit unfortunate. Especially when Ji Min believes the Chairwoman is doing criminal things he should be more careful instead of openly stating his distate. I also get he is a journalist and those tend to be very dramatic but on the other hand good journalist also tend to be careful when they want to eventually write an article.

But I think he might become more cautious when he finds out that he wasn't wrong about the murder of Eun Soo's husband and that the Chairwoman might be involved. :)

Also, welcome to the thread, @Susu, @chickfactor and @memory magnet! :D

Thanks for the welcome!

True, it is kinda weird that Ji Min is quite bold with saying those things right in front of her, could easily be targeted.

I wonder, when Eun Soo finds out Ji Min's name, will she remember him as the reporter from 10 years ago? and vice versa, I guess she'd have to give a fake name too to get close to him, since I'd think Ji Min would remember her name.

3 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

i know that this kind of drama will attract lots of watchers hahaha

lets be real we all need some makjang drama in kdrama life right? 

just not make it too predictable and we gucci i think

Right!! haha I haven't watched makjang in a while really. The last one was I think Money Flower haha (and the boat scene reminds me of that drama)

Lies of Lies: Episodes 1-2 (Review)

by missvictrix

Lies0102_1.jpg

Channel A’s newest primetime offering has just premiered, and Lies of Lies is the sort of drama that knows exactly the sort of story it wants to be, and isn’t ashamed one bit. The drama pulls all the stops to introduce the tale of a wrongfully-accused heroine with injustices stacked against her. If you’re in for the ride (and the genre), it’s going to be a fun one — but if you’re looking for something to break the revenge-melo mold, this is not your drama.

Note: This is an opening week review only.

EPISODES 1-2 REVIEW

Lies0102_2A.jpgLies0102_2B.jpg

Storytelling tropes and genre-specific elements are only as good as the stories they serve — put them to work in a story that wants to use them, and use them well, and you have a watchable, deliciously archetypal drama. That’s exactly what we meet in Lies of Lies.

We open the drama with the crime that started it all: our heroine JI EUN-SOO (Lee Yuri) is found at the scene of her husband’s murder, a bloody knife in her hands, and basically all evidence pointing to her. But we know better. Our heroine is innocent, and she’ll tell anyone that asks. But, like so many a story where a “normal” woman has married into a powerful chaebol family, she’s left utterly powerless to defend herself.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/lies-of-lies-episodes-1-2-review/

Honestly, it was difficult to sit through the first two episodes. The way she was railroaded into prison just gets my goat. I hope we don’t have to sit through the rest episodes watching her victimized by powerful people. I know she has found her daughter but I hope she will be just as passionate about uncovering the truth of what happened 10 years ago.

On a side note, I was very surprised to hear the principle/concept of “the sins of the father visiting the children”. That’s the first time I have ever heard that said in a Korean drama as well as “divine justice” although I suppose it could be a matter of translation.

10 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I agree the first episodes were difficult to watch and I hope she will get a win or two until the end of the drama at least. So far it's like the Chairwoman can do whatever she likes. I also feel like Ji Min will be the key to bring out the truth and help Eun Soo reinstate her reputation. She is a convicted of murder. But I also want Eun Soo to be able to bring out the truth herself as well.

I am afraid that the way Ji Min has been poking around the chariwoman and most probably preparing a not so positive articles about her new gallery/exhibition, we might be seeing him on the receiving end of her wrath. She is influential enough to cause troubles for him at work, so it will be interesting to see how Ji Min will deal with those troubles. I guess we might see him going the freelancer way and also start digging up chairwoman's works in return.

Also, I think Eun Soo will end up working at Woo Joo Restaurant. But yes, first two episodes were difficult to watch, especially the first one where nothing was working her way. The Chairwoman sure is very influential.

@Jillia @Sleepy Owl remember the Chairman also got Ji Min that promotion. She probably sees him as a fly. The moment he gets serious about harming her public image, I have no doubt she will make plans to crush him and his career. 

Regarding Ji Min and Eun Soo, I don’t think things will be smooth sailing for them. At least the synopsis at Viki seem to imply Eun Soo will develop a plan to woo Ji Min so that she can become the stepmother to her own daughter. That sounds like their relationship will be built on lies, initially. I really hope the synopsis isn’t accurate. Nevertheless, I suppose there might be circumstances that prevents Eun Soo from being honest with her identity. The fact that she’s an ex-convict might be a factor among other things.

I am enjoying it so far. Lee Yoori is a master of overwrought emotions - seriously, she must be dehydrated from all the crying - but she's so good. She just brings it every time.

I love that Lee Il-Hwa plays a soft-spoken, elegant Big Bad. She always plays someone sweet and pretty - all the roles I've seen, anyway - so I love that she plays a bad person.

And she is SO EVIL. Ordering your own baby granddaughter to be drowned has got to be up high on the list, even among the crazy evil things people do in K-drama world. I will enjoy seeing her go down in the last episode.

The actor who plays the monster dead husband is very good as the monster.

The daughter is adorable.

And we like Ji Min. Yes, it's probably not smart to act so self-righteous when facing Evil Cosmetics Chairwoman but he's a good guy, and his family is cute.

Bring on the makjang!

Am I the only one who thinks the chairwoman didn’t kill her son?  She seemed distraught in the beginning. I feel like someone close to her murdered him. If he was beating his own wife, i am sure he was horrible to others as well. Especially people that might have worked for him. 

40 minutes ago, Susu said:

Am I the only one who thinks the chairwoman didn’t kill her son?  She seemed distraught in the beginning. I feel like someone close to her murdered him. If he was beating his own wife, i am sure he was horrible to others as well. Especially people that might have worked for him. 

Same, I don't think it was her. I don't really see a reason (at least not yet) why she would plot to specifically frame Eun Soo (aside from, well, being pure evil)—she didn't seem to be opposed to their marriage from the short scenes we saw of the wedding. The way she treats Eun Soo now seems more born out of believing that Eun Soo is the murderer.

For some reason, I think it's the driver (assistant? bodyguard?).

5 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@Jillia @Sleepy Owl remember the Chairman also got Ji Min that promotion. She probably sees him as a fly. The moment he gets serious about harming her public image, I have no doubt she will make plans to crush him and his career. 

Regarding Ji Min and Eun Soo, I don’t think things will be smooth sailing for them. At least the synopsis at Viki seem to imply Eun Soo will develop a plan to woo Ji Min so that she can become the stepmother to her own daughter. That sounds like their relationship will be built on lies, initially. I really hope the synopsis isn’t accurate. Nevertheless, I suppose there might be circumstances that prevents Eun Soo from being honest with her identity. The fact that she’s an ex-convict might be a factor among other things.

Yeah that's why I said that he can actually lose his job very easily. Chairwoman seems to be an extremely influential person, so maybe we'll either see Jim Min moving forward a bit cautiously. I mean he seems to be a competent reporter, so I guess he must be knowing that it is not wise to always openly act righteous and cocky to someone like chairwoman. So far he has not been good at it, but being a reporter, he at least must be having some ideas about her influences and what type of person she is. So I'm either seeing him cope up and move a bit diplomatically ahead while doing some proper investigation to bring her down all at once (which seems less likely) or him really having a hard time in job, by this I mean getting transferred to a department completely unrelated to his niche and capabilities or him getting fired. 

Eun Soo will definitely be lying to Ji Min, so I am sure there will come a point when he'll realize that he has been lied to. I mean there is a reason the drama is called Lies of lies or Lies after lies, so as you said, there relationship will be based on lies. I wonder if he'll recognize her or not. The murder case she was involved was a high-profile one and he being a reporter might have some nice memory (even though some 10 years have passed). In the exhibition inauguration event, he seemed to have recognized her or having doubts to have seen her somewhere or maybe it was just a red herring, I mean could be wrong, but I do feel like he might recognize her as time pass. But I feel like she might not actually lie about her name and being ex-convict, this is if she'll try to join Woo Joo restaurant. I mean I dunno how she'll get hired after telling them why she was ex-convict, but I don't really think it is something she can lie about. Maybe the thing she'll start lying about will be about her feelings for him, in order to get closer to her daughter. Or maybe she'll lie about everything as you all said, starting from her name to everything. 

@Susu you are not alone. The fact that others are or I am stating about thinking that chairwoman has ordered killing of her son is actually a possibility. I tend to state some possibilities which I think could be having more chances of happening. Why I thought that the chairwoman could have ordered his killing could be because of many things. She is chairwoman, he was Vice-president, things could have been not good between them if her son got greedy for her position, but this could be very lame reason for it. But what if that guy was also damaging the image of the company, so she decided to take the extreme step. The son dies, his wife gets arrested, and the chairwoman gets the sympathy of the public as the mother who just lost her son. 

If she has not ordered him getting murdered as you are feeling, then someone really close to her and in top position in the company has ordered it. Someone who worked so hard for the company, only to see his position going to her son or him realizing that he'll not be getting fruits of his hard work as she'll appoint her son as the President or Chairperson in future. 

I am actually more interested in Ji Min's divorce. Why it happened? Did it happen because of Woo Joo? But Woo Joo misses her and seems to be loving her. She is also close to her family. We did see Woo Joo being in a fire accident seemingly because of Ji Min's ex-wife, but it would lame to just divorce because of  that one event, right? There is definitely more to it.

@Sleepy Owl Most likely JM divorced her cause she was getting busy with someone else. And put their daughter in jeopardy.

I also curious, and looking forward to the love triangle. 

The flashbacks we saw the chairwoman was so nice to Eun Soo and now she totally flipped. This made me suspicious. In Kdrama land the mother of the rich chaebol is so picky with who marries her son. 

Archived